What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

This is going to be a good team next year. PG is obviously the biggest question, but if Walker continues his trend the front court will be strong. Although young, the Buffs will have depth. If Quincy is the real deal there will be a fight for minutes. Barring Kin deciding to come back for some crazy reason there will be a drop off, but I don’t think it will be a crazy drop. Lots of options. Hopefully, Kee trends upward and young guys step up.

I am putting a lot of faith into Quincy Allen, mostly because we are both DC area kids. But if we can find a Guard, this will be a dangerous team. Maybe not the "reload" feel like this year, but still far and away above a rebuilding year.

Graduating: Kin, D'Shawn, Dallas, Horne, Daniels, Strating

Incoming Class (so far): Lovering (4* C), Allen (4* F), Ruffin (3* G), Hammond (3* G)

Returning:

Battey (Sr) - F
Parquet (Sr) - G
Barthelemy (So) - G
Clifford (So) - G
Da Silva (So) - G
O'Brien (So) - F
Walker (So) - F

I had been thinking that next season was going to be lowered expectations, but now I'm not so sure.

Parquet gets better every year. Walker looks like he can be our go-to guy on offense. Battey will be the leader and do his thing.

Obviously some of this year's frosh who haven't done much will need to make significant jumps. And the incoming class will need to produce a starter or two.

I think the big question is PG. Will Key be the guy? I'm thinking Tad needs to finish this class with a PG (maybe a grad transfer).
Sorry, but on paper that is a 15 win team. They absolutely have to sign a stud transfer PG and a banger PF. Clifford, O'Brien and Silva will in no way be ready to start next year and be effective.

Sorry, but on paper that is a 15 win team. They absolutely have to sign a stud transfer PG and a banger PF. Clifford, O'Brien and Silva will in no way be ready to start next year and be effective.
Your banger PF wish may come true, but I have doubts that a transfer PG is in the cards

I believe in our senior leadership and our young talent / incoming class.

That was the formula when we won the P12 tourney & a game in the Dance.

Battey & Parquet will set the tone & the team will develop. It will start in the offseason with some guys making big jumps from frosh to soph.

It is what it is. Just saying that Schwarz's inconsistency is one reason his departure won't be an insurmountable hurdle.
I still look at Schwarz as the diamond in the rough that could change everything for us down the stretch and I agree it is so frustrating to not see him completely embrace how good he is and how good he can be. Seems to have some demons in his head, but if it all clicks down the stretch, then it could be even more special.
I think he really thinks about coming back next year!

I still look at Schwarz as the diamond in the rough that could change everything for us down the stretch and I agree it is so frustrating to not see him completely embrace how good he is and how good he can be. Seems to have some demons in his head, but if it all clicks down the stretch, then it could be even more special.
I think he really thinks about coming back next year!

I agree.

I'm optimistic about next year, remember at this point last year we didn't have Horne or Walker? Definitely need an experienced ball handler and shooter next year. A lot of how we do will depend on the other teams in the PAC. UCLA should be better will return a lot and have highly touted guys coming in. USC will be hurting at guard and will probably lose the better Mobley, see them being worse. Oregon hasn't had Will Richardson all year, but will lose Duarte and Omoruni. But Altman always has them running. Arizona will be a lot better with more experience and less turnover. Who knows with ASU don't have faith in Hurley. Tad does well with talent, and this is supposed to be better then the Kin, Schwartz, Battey, Bey recruiting class. However, expecting our offense to be a lot less efficient, consistent, and potent as this year.

I believe in our senior leadership and our young talent / incoming class.

That was the formula when we won the P12 tourney & a game in the Dance.

Battey & Parquet will set the tone & the team will develop. It will start in the offseason with some guys making big jumps from frosh to soph.

No offense, but I think you and others that are optimistic about next season could tap the breaks. I think next year will be a struggle. Kin was a generational player for our program, and this squad was coming together for two special seasons when they were freshmen. It's rare to not experience a significant dropoff when you lose such a special group of players, for any program. I get you guys are not saying there won't be any dropoff, but I do think it'll be significant. But, that's all good - we have another special group of freshmen coming in, along with Jabari to develop next season. If we show some fight, stay healthy, and develop our key guys for 22-23, I'm happy with next season.

With that said, I'd love to eat crow around this time a year from now.

No offense, but I think you and others that are optimistic about next season could tap the breaks. I think next year will be a struggle. Kin was a generational player for our program, and this squad was coming together for two special seasons when they were freshmen. It's rare to not experience a significant dropoff when you lose such a special group of players, for any program. I get you guys are not saying there won't be any dropoff, but I do think it'll be significant. But, that's all good - we have another special group of freshmen coming in, along with Jabari to develop next season. If we show some fight, stay healthy, and develop our key guys for 22-23, I'm happy with next season.

With that said, I'd love to eat crow around this time a year from now.
Is anyone predicting anything concrete yet? I'm not seeing next year as being a tournament year unless we find a good pg. As you said though, chemistry may be an issue. There are lots of fun pieces to work with though. This isn't going to be 2017 I think.

I think there could still be 20 wins there next year, assuming Tad doesn’t schedule aggressively. It’s a team that shouldn’t have a crazy non conference schedule, and I think Tad has said he has learned from over scheduling teams who weren’t ready for it in the past. It’s so hard to make a prediction on scheduling with Covid and everything though. I thought we were going end up with games against every Colorado school this season, including all the RMAC teams.

I think there could still be 20 wins there next year, assuming Tad doesn’t schedule aggressively. It’s a team that shouldn’t have a crazy non conference schedule, and I think Tad has said he has learned from over scheduling teams who weren’t ready for it in the past. It’s so hard to make a prediction on scheduling with Covid and everything though. I thought we were going end up with games against every Colorado school this season, including all the RMAC teams.
I think we will have Kansas and Tennessee at home next year.

Walker + Battey will be the most skilled offensive frontcourt we've had, maybe ever

Jelly + XJ had a similar feel, but XJ was too streaky
Stephane Pelle + David Harrison ?

Pelle's strength wasn't as a scorer, and maybe offensive rebounding doesn't count as offensive skill, but that frontcourt was still really damn good on the offensive end.

EDIT: Huge bonus points to Pelle for hitting the game winner against Kansas.

Last edited:
It's going to be crazy to follow where super Seniors decide to transfer/stay for the next 4 seasons.

The way the NCAA release reads to me, technically Kee still has 4 years to play 4 after this season, and LOB, Tristan, and Nique will have 5 to play 4, I feel like their minutes/roles have been very much "redshirt-light," I have to imagine we'd have seen more of Strating and zero of at least two of those guys, if not all 3 as redshirts.

Tad has 2 scholies to work with, maybe 1 returning player, and 1 transfer seems to be the consensus here.

A lot of minutes, ball handling, made 3's, a fair amount of rebounding and almost all of the assists will be leaving the roster. I also agree that a grad-transfer PG would be amazing.

It's going to be crazy to follow where super Seniors decide to transfer/stay for the next 4 seasons.

The way the NCAA release reads to me, technically Kee still has 4 years to play 4 after this season, and LOB, Tristan, and Nique will have 5 to play 4, I feel like their minutes/roles have been very much "redshirt-light," I have to imagine we'd have seen more of Strating and zero of at least two of those guys, if not all 3 as redshirts.

Tad has 2 scholies to work with, maybe 1 returning player, and 1 transfer seems to be the consensus here.

A lot of minutes, ball handling, made 3's, a fair amount of rebounding and almost all of the assists will be leaving the roster. I also agree that a grad-transfer PG would be amazing.
I feel like for class disparity purposes you can’t “hold back” too much of this class. Like you don’t want 7 graduating seniors in 4 years. Plus we need Ruffin/Hammond to help with ball handling next year and I’m thinking Lovering and Allen are going to be too talented to keep off the floor. Guessing maybe LOB and Nique may be “redshirts” this year and then maybe one of the guards next year does

I feel like for class disparity purposes you can’t “hold back” too much of this class. Like you don’t want 7 graduating seniors in 4 years. Plus we need Ruffin/Hammond to help with ball handling next year and I’m thinking Lovering and Allen are going to be too talented to keep off the floor. Guessing maybe LOB and Nique may be “redshirts” this year and then maybe one of the guards next year does
All the more reason to use the other 2 scholies on grad transfers or retaining super seniors.

Only Eli and Evan are seniors next year, right?

All the more reason to use the other 2 scholies on grad transfers or retaining super seniors.

Only Eli and Evan are seniors next year, right?
If they choose to be seniors. This season didn't count toward eligibility clock if they want to be juniors again.

So another month in ... where do we stand for next year?

Key's not getting many minutes for obvious reasons, but I like what I see in him lately. He's pretty fearless, not afraid to shoot, has decent handles and isn't afraid to take it into trees and create. No, he's nowhere near where Kin was in his first year, but I feel like he could be the main guy at PG next year. Would still love to see Tad add a PG transfer tho.

Walker's got that "it" factor and has a super high ceiling. He's well ahead of where Schwarz was at this stage.

And I'm really loving Eli's offensive emergence recently ... 45% from 3 on 46 attempts. With Kin and Schwarz gone, he'll get more shots and he's vastly improved his shooting. If he just maintains where he's at, he could be the best 2 guard we've had since Ski.

Let's assume none of the seniors come back, I think that's the safest bet.

I think there is a wide variance of possible outcomes for next year, given all the unknowns.

Parquet and Battey are solid veterans, floor-lifters for any P5 team, but it's hard to picture them being ceiling-lifters on their own. Everything else is uncertain.

We need 5-6 surprises to be top of the PAC, 3-4 surprises to be upper middle, 1-2 surprises to be lower middle of the PAC, or the last possibility -- our current freshman stagnate and next year's class plays like typical freshman and we find ourselves at the bottom of the league angrily typing #FIRETAD on internet message boards.

Walker and de Silva are already solid, if they make a Freshman -> Sophomore jump that could be surprise #1-2.

PG next year is a mystery, after being dominated by Kin for 4 years. Key could literally unlock this team's potential if he can run the show, minimize turnovers, and shoot better than 35% from 3. That seems like a bit of a long shot. Maybe Tad hedges and brings in a grad transfer PG. Either of those things happening is surprise #3.

I really have no idea what to expect out of Clifford and O'Brien, so I will cast them in with the incoming Freshman. This incoming class might be the best that CU has ever seen. From my thorough analysis of 2 minute YouTube highlight videos I can conclude that any one of Lovering, Allen, or Ruffin could compete for PAC Freshman of the year. Hammond is less hyped and even though I like his long-term potential I'm not projecting a huge contribution since he plays the most challenging position and doesn't seem to rely on incredible physical gifts like the others.

I think we need 1-2 of Clifford, O'Brien, Allen, and Ruffin to over-perform expectations. That's surprise #4-5.

I'm going to put Lovering in his own category. He passes every eye test, but he plays in Wyoming. So does that mean he's currently underrated as the ~#60 recruit in the nation because scouts haven't seen as much of him, or is he going to have an adjustment period because the step-up in competition is so great? He could be a 1-and-Done or he could look completely lost all season long. If he can get to a Josh Scott level of Freshman year contribution or better, that would be surprise #6.

TL;DR - If you're optimistic about next season, you're right. If you're pessimistic, you're right. If you're confident, you're wrong.

It's going to be fun next year.

Evan & Eli are 2 of my favorite dudes that I've ever cheered for. I love them as senior leaders.

With Walker, we have at least 1 future NBA player among the underclassmen. If that becomes 2 or 3 with others being a solid D1 cast, they could be a great team.

Conversely, we could see a ton of growing pains with inconsistent play and a lack of floor generalship from the point.

My suspicion is that the 2021-22 edition Buffs comes down to PG play. If we get what we need, the team can be better than this year's team.

It's going to be fun next year.

Evan & Eli are 2 of my favorite dudes that I've ever cheered for. I love them as senior leaders.

With Walker, we have at least 1 future NBA player among the underclassmen. If that becomes 2 or 3 with others being a solid D1 cast, they could be a great team.

Conversely, we could see a ton of growing pains with inconsistent play and a lack of floor generalship from the point.

My suspicion is that the 2021-22 edition Buffs comes down to PG play. If we get what we need, the team can be better than this year's team.
Xavier. Johnson. Pleaaaaaaase

16 years old? I have a lot of questions.
Yes, especially with where the compensation goes. Having said that a lot of 16 years start working at movie theatres, day cares, car washes etc. They have to start handling that money as well. However, the amount of money made with Ballislife videos, highlight reals, social media, youtube highlight clips etc is absurd. And as is the thought with college kids who coaches, Universities, media companies make millions off of but they don't get any compesation, the same can now be said of elite high school talent. I remember the game a few years ago that was Zion vs Lamelo and it was absurd, A list celebs, thousands of people, millions of views, ESPN covered it the whole 9. Those kids deserve to get paid. 16 year old tik tok creators making bank right now, why can't elite high school talent that produce the insane dunks, and shots that we all consume?

Back