What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

That kid has a good tough game and would be awesome to have! I strongly feel that a Transfer Center is the right thing to look for!

I keep seeing this. Someone who thinks this way tell me where are the minutes coming from? Who are you giving less PT to?

Ok, so give the transfer Dallas’ minutes.

When does Lovering play? You taking minutes from Jabari? TDS? What about Allen?

We don’t need a big.
This kid is a legit starting center in the Big East that has a low post game and is a far better rebounder than Walton. He would start ahead of Lovering or split time with him. Getting better is getting better

This kid is a legit starting center in the Big East that has a low post game and is a far better rebounder than Walton. He would start ahead of Lovering or split time with him. Getting better is getting better
Not if it takes minutes away from the heart of the team. Not if it takes minutes away from the most promising recruit(s) we've had in years. Not if it takes minutes away from a potential NBA draft pick. Not if it fills a scholarship with someone who can actually get these big men the ball.

Why the hell is everyone obsessed with getting this team more big men when the bigs are already facing a minutes crunch and there's a huge gap in the backcourt for PT? Has no one watched basketball since the Knicks - Heat series in the 1990s? Meanwhile we're losing a PG who played 81% of all available minutes last year (234th in the nation). I feel like this board's obsession with big men is like the Dril tweet about the candles and budgeting.

BTW, you know who else rebounded better than Walton? Jabari Walker. Who only got 14 mpg and who would not get more PT if we brought in another big man.

And for all the size queens on this board:

Teams in the Ken Pom top 20 of average height by minutes played that are still in the tournament:

* Florida State
* USC

Oregon St, Gonzaga and Syracuse are all in the 21-30 range.

The weighted average of S16 teams is 91.

Height =/= Winning

If it did, I would be a good basketball player. I am not.

Further - here's the Pac-12 rankings by height with conference placement in parenthesis:

* USC (2)
* Stanford (7)
* Washington St (10)
* Arizona (5)
* Oregon St (6)
* Washington (11)
* Utah (8)
* Oregon (1)
* Cal (12)
* Colorado (3)
* UCLA (4)
* Arizona St (9)

He was also useless defensively when Tad put Walker at the 5 and ran plays to get him open at the 3-point line. Wahab is a good player, but a better fit for the Big East or B10 where they don't have to guard the 4 and 5 all over the court. Can you name me one Tad recruit who was only fit to defend the low post?

He was also useless defensively when Tad put Walker at the 5 and ran plays to get him open at the 3-point line. Wahab is a good player, but a better fit for the Big East or B10 where they don't have to guard the 4 and 5 all over the court. Can you name me one Tad recruit who was only fit to defend the low post?
That is a good point. I think first priority should be PG anyways. Don't we he have 2 scholarships to give?

From what we all know the essence of Tad Ball to be, what makes anyone think we need two Centers in the progam? If anything we need to replace Horne's minutes/points. A grad point guard and a swing/PF who can shoot, but can also muscle up when needed. Lovering will get 10-14 minutes a game, basically what Dallas got. Any Center coming in will likely top out at 15-20 minutes a game. Not exactly enticing for a guy like Wahab who was averaging 28 min/game. Would I take him, sure. Will he be coming here? No.

I'm sorry I brought him up @Goose. The dude's a good player who we just saw. I wouldn't say no to him. He isn't coming here anyway. I'm fully on board on recruiting more point guards, followed by more point guards. But Wahab can play.

I'm sorry I brought him up @Goose. The dude's a good player who we just saw. I wouldn't say no to him. He isn't coming here anyway. I'm fully on board on recruiting more point guards, followed by more point guards. But Wahab can play.

No, Wahab is a stud. He's not coming here, but he's a stud. The thing I don't understand is why people consistently say that we need more bigs. We don't. Every damn thread about next year has comments of "we need to add a big man to compete next year".

Not if it takes minutes away from the heart of the team. Not if it takes minutes away from the most promising recruit(s) we've had in years. Not if it takes minutes away from a potential NBA draft pick. Not if it fills a scholarship with someone who can actually get these big men the ball.

Why the hell is everyone obsessed with getting this team more big men when the bigs are already facing a minutes crunch and there's a huge gap in the backcourt for PT? Has no one watched basketball since the Knicks - Heat series in the 1990s? Meanwhile we're losing a PG who played 81% of all available minutes last year (234th in the nation). I feel like this board's obsession with big men is like the Dril tweet about the candles and budgeting.

BTW, you know who else rebounded better than Walton? Jabari Walker. Who only got 14 mpg and who would not get more PT if we brought in another big man.
I agree with you completely. Plus this big in question had 5 total assists in an entire season and as BuffsNYC can't defend the perimeter, and hasn't attempted a 3 in two years, not exactly the ideal modern day big. We need an experienced guard that can shoot the 3 and that's that.

And for all the size queens on this board:

Teams in the Ken Pom top 20 of average height by minutes played that are still in the tournament:

* Florida State
* USC

Oregon St, Gonzaga and Syracuse are all in the 21-30 range.

The weighted average of S16 teams is 91.

Height =/= Winning

If it did, I would be a good basketball player. I am not.

Further - here's the Pac-12 rankings by height with conference placement in parenthesis:

* USC (2)
* Stanford (7)
* Washington St (10)
* Arizona (5)
* Oregon St (6)
* Washington (11)
* Utah (8)
* Oregon (1)
* Cal (12)
* Colorado (3)
* UCLA (4)
* Arizona St (9)
good stuff.

legit question, you follow this closer than I do. but common belief used to be that you could win in the regular season lacking big man talent, but not in the tourney. do you know if that's true today?

good stuff.

legit question, you follow this closer than I do. but common belief used to be that you could win in the regular season lacking big man talent, but not in the tourney. do you know if that's true today?
The "common belief" as you put it, is you have to have guards to win in the tournament. Villanova's two national titles are proof of concept.

He gets Maddox's minutes. Maybe cuts into a bit of Eli's, but doubt it. He was damn good his frosh year too.

Makes sense. They aren't at his level, but thinking about this in the context of Nique or LOB making the sophomore jump. They were at a disadvantage being on such a deep team.

Is Tad going to switch to zone defense? Because from what I saw in the Georgetown game, the only way having a center who can't guard on the perimeter can work in today's game is if you run a defense like Syracuse or Washington.

I think Lovering will have a big adjustment in year 1 coming from Wyoming HS hoops. It's not like he's played on top AAU teams in a bunch of national tourneys. Year 1 is an "Ease in" year.
Easing in shouldn't take a full year.

Easing in shouldn't take a full year.
Bigs do usually take longer to develop.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Lovering is eased in with Evan & Walker making it so we start 2 PFs and we roll without a center outside of the 15 minutes a game Lovering gives us.

And that's just fine. If he starts early or plays 20+ minutes a night, then to me it means he's an absolute stud.

It likely will. Buff fans should lower initial expectations. He is a bit light, and inexperienced. Hope I'm wrong, I love upside surprises. I'm preparing for a reasonable adjustment period.
He's the 2d highest recruit Tad has ever gotten. If he's not ready to contribute significant minutes by conference time he's disappointing. The chances of getting someone more likely to contribute, especially in a secondary role since Battey and Bari are going to be considered near locks to start and TDS is going to be expected to play a lot of 4 minutes, seems very low. If the best player available is a big, good, but it's not a need. You can't pigeonhole top 60 recruits as non-contributors in year 1.

Back