What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookin ahead to 2021-22

Is it correct that everyone in college ball has an extra year of eligibility this year?

Not really CU-specific, but how does that work with scholarships?
Yes, for all fall and winter sports and they don’t count against the scholarship limits, I believe.

Da Silva has the skills to be a dangerous mid-range player
Walker has the talent to break down defenses and will lead the team in rebounds, he needs to add some muscle and mature in his on-court awareness
Key will be our second 3pt threat behind Jabari, he can create shots for himself more easily than Kin could, assist to turnover ratio will be key for him
One of LOB or Niq will be a big surprise next year – I have a feeling that LOB will become one of those fearless players that score in bunches and always play with high energy – opposing fans will hate him
CU is overdue for a Pac-12 FotY, either Lovering or Allen will be that player

Biggest questions are ball-handling and who will step up to defend opposing PF/Cs (though that's not something we had any individual particularly excel at this year)

How our schedule plays out will be crucial next year, but I think it'll be another fun season for different reasons than this year

who will step up to defend opposing PF/Cs (though that's not something we had any individual particularly excel at this year)
Just like this year, just replace Dallas with Lovering. Battey will start on the best offensive big and then sit for the last 5-10 mins. of the first half with 2 fouls. Then we will run Walker, da Silva, and Lovering at the guy.

I'm with NYC above...we need more bodies because we are losing five out of nine players who weigh at least 200 pounds. The guys coming back need to hit the training table hard during the offseason and pump some iron.

Given the history of Boyle and transfers coming to Boulder, we should hit the transfer market hard too.

Still have one open scholarship. Hoping Tad can land a starter or 6th man given the success we had last year with some good players returning.

Still have one open scholarship. Hoping Tad can land a starter or 6th man given the success we had last year with some good players returning.
Think we still have 2 open, right?

Kin, Walton, Horne, Schwartz, Strating, Daniels out with 4 new guys signed so far AFAIK.

One scholly left unless someone transfers
Who are we missing? I'm only coming up with 11 scholarship players so far for next season.

Returning:
1. Parquet
2. Battey
3. Barthelemy
4. Walker
5. Da Silva
6. O'Brien
7. Clifford

Incoming:
8. Lovering
9. Allen
10. Ruffin
11. Hammond

I’d like a grad (or any transfer) at the C slot. Length became an issue in the tourney and losing Horne and Walton make us thin up front. Hopefully Loevering is a stud day 1 but a 7’1”, 250 guy with bulk would make me feel much better.
FSU and G-Town had loads of those guys. There must be good players looking for an opportunity that Tad can attract.

I’d like a grad (or any transfer) at the C slot. Length became an issue in the tourney and losing Horne and Walton make us thin up front. Hopefully Loevering is a stud day 1 but a 7’1”, 250 guy with bulk would make me feel much better.
FSU and G-Town had loads of those guys. There must be good players looking for an opportunity that Tad can attract.
I think a guy who can play point guard right away ( if he's not already in this class) then the best possible player available. I don't think you can pigeonhole anyone and a big center is definitely not a need next year with Battey coming back

I think a guy who can play point guard right away ( if he's not already in this class) then the best possible player available. I don't think you can pigeonhole anyone and a big center is definitely not a need next year with Battey coming back
Kin is a unique player and we will have to replace his key buckets and timely plays with efforts from other people.

I agree though with you that a true PG would be an important addition to the team. Someone who can lead the offense, get the ball to the playmakers, control tempo, and defend the opponents PGs.

Even if one of the guys we already have steps up and grabs the starters role having a bench PG who could contribute quality minutes would be valuable.

Who are we missing? I'm only coming up with 11 scholarship players so far for next season.

Returning:
1. Parquet
2. Battey
3. Barthelemy
4. Walker
5. Da Silva
6. O'Brien
7. Clifford

Incoming:
8. Lovering
9. Allen
10. Ruffin
11. Hammond
I was sure we only had one left unless something changed, but my brain says your math is right. Also, in one of the post game interviews Tad did say they are looking to add 1 or maybe 2 guys, which I took to mean someone may leave. However, Tad does like to bank scholarships unless he finds a guy he loves. It's how we got Kee.

I get it that seniors may be allowed an additional year, due to C19. Can a lower-classman do it too? I.e: could a guy like Walker play 4 more years, if he wanted to - I know we'll be lucky to have him 1 additional year

I mean, why not?

Arizona's had Terrell Brown, and Jemarl Baker Jr, Washington's had Erik Stevenson and Marcus Tshonis, ASU has had Jaelen House and Taeshon Cherry, Washington State has had Jaz Kunc, Utah has had Riley Battin and a lot of pac 12 teams are still playing. And it's not just a Pac thing, this year with the free year seems like everyone is in transfer portal. Not just people with lack of playing time either lot of quality players out there. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Hopefully doesn't bite us too hard.

I was sure we only had one left unless something changed, but my brain says your math is right. Also, in one of the post game interviews Tad did say they are looking to add 1 or maybe 2 guys, which I took to mean someone may leave. However, Tad does like to bank scholarships unless he finds a guy he loves. It's how we got Kee.
6 schollies going out (Kin, D'Shawn, Dallas, Jeriah, Maddox, Alexander)

4 coming in (Quincy, Lawson, Julian, Javon)

I get it that seniors may be allowed an additional year, due to C19. Can a lower-classman do it too? I.e: could a guy like Walker play 4 more years, if he wanted to - I know we'll be lucky to have him 1 additional year
I'm 99% certain that this year doesn't count against anyone's eligibility.

Seems more likely that LOB and Nique might treat this season as a redshirt year.

I'm really interested to see what Parquet does on offense next year.

He's shown a definite ability to slash and elevate, and to knock down open 3's and some mid range pull-ups, but did not have a ton of time with the ball in his hands relative to how much he played.

I think that was a very appropriate division of labor with him going all out on defense and the offense running through Kin.

I imagine a good part of his offseason is going to be focused on making his solid shot into a potential weapon.

A nice feature of this season with the eligibility rules is that LOB and Nique got to get their feet wet; I expect they may have been redshirted otherwise. Hopefully they can offset the loss of the shooting from Maddox, Jeriah, and D'Shawn.
Both LOB and Clifford will likely be leapfrogged by next year's recruits. If not preseason, then by conference play.

If so, I could see Tad going that route. Otherwise he may not have enough minutes and he's got to be looking 2 years ahead to when he'll have no senior leadership. Is there a Carlon Brown out there?
It sure is nice to feel like there's going to be a minutes crunch the year after 57% of the minutes played are graduating.

Currently the depth has to look something like:

Frontcourt

Battey / Walker / Lovering / Da Silva

Backcourt / Wings

Parquet / Barthelemy / Allen / Clifford / O'Brien / Ruffin / Hammond

That's 11 guys if all the freshmen are part of the rotation.

All this year's recruits are better than both.
No. Pretty sure this time last year, everyone was talking about how great Nique was and was the best player in CO high school hoops. The tape didn't support that, as O'Brien flashed far more than Nique did. LOB is going to be a great player at CU. I'm not writing off Nique, but he played absurdly timid this year. I think Allen starts next year, but O'Brien has top flight basketball skills. Needs to get adjusted to his role in college.

Back