What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre considering adding an eighth QB

I'm surprised so many people are so vehemently opposed to this idea? Football teams need good QBs. We don't have one or we don't have one that is ready. Until then, get new ones and send the old ones that can't play packing.

You guys probably would've complained if the Patriots took some idiot named Tom Brady even though they were set at QB.

No, Ringo is counting by the number of QBs currently seeing action + incoming FR Sefo + Fishback = 8.

Of course he is. Plus, "8" is a much more impactful number than "7" if you're trying to make a point.

His juco numbers don't blow you away but HCMM knows what kind of QB he wants for his system. Based on early practice and scrimmage reports it doesn't sound like anyone is ready to be the starting QB in this system. Dillon is the only current QB who I personally have hope for but he is still skinny, has a weird throwing motion and maybe is not ready for prime time.

If HCMM can find a way to move 3 QBs out of QB or out of CU, than I would support bringing on another QB who has playing experience and is seen to be a good fit for the system with potential to start. This kid at least appears to have more upside than Webb appeared to have when Embree brought him on. He has better physical tools, better arm, and a winning record as a college starter (albeit for a Juco) all unlike Webb when he joined. He also only has 2 total years as a QB starter (HS and College combined) which also suggests that his raw skill could be coached up and turned into something good.

Disagree with even considering this. Embree recruiting QB's like they were varieties of breakfast cereal. There is just no reason on a rebuilding staff.

I disagree with blaming Embree for the QB situation. When he arrived he had a Senior QB and a RS Frosh QB with nothing in between. You could maybe criticize him for dropping Sherry and signing Dorman, but after watching Sherry once this year I am not sure he would have added much. Bringing in a former 4 star recruit from the University of Texas is not something I think many would criticize him for given the situation. Recruiting Dillon and Sefo is exactly what they should be doing - bring in a well-regarded QB each class.

I would not be so quick to write off Dillon.

MacIntyre considering adding an eight QB

We would be in a better situation with Cyler. But no we go and get Shane. ****.

We(The University of Colorado Buffaloes Football Team) would be in a better situation with Cyler Miles at QB, then we are right now with our current depth chart of Quarter backs. Huh?

We(The University of Colorado Buffaloes Football Team) would be in a better situation with Cyler Miles at QB, then we are right now with our current depth chart of Quarter backs. Huh?

Your post was revisionist history at its finest. The odds of us landing Miles were always slim and the coaching staff was not willing to gamble on losing Dillon and getting left out in the cold completely. Without Dillon, things look even bleaker.

Not sure why people are giving up on Dillon already.... give him some time. He came in fairly raw. People expecting him to win the starting job last year were expecting way too much. He played his HS ball in a very below average league.

I blame AZ for all Shane Dillon hysteria.

Found a self-made video of Fishback doing QB drills from last week. I am actually impressed by the skills. But there's a sense CU is about to film Necessary Roughness 2 that I can't ignore. I'm sure he's easy to get a hold of if anyone wants to ask him a question.

[video=youtube;o09VNN6ay4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o09VNN6ay4Q[/video]

If the rumors are true; The PAC 12 may make history this year by starting 5 true Frosh at QB; CU is not the only program with a ?; Arizona, Cal, USC and WSU.

I'm on board. The current QB crop may have a starter in it, but I'm pretty confident it doesn't have two. Cut 2-3 guys from the bottom of the current depth chart (or move them to other positions if that makes sense) and bring in some new meat. This kid might not be the answer, but we know we have current QBs who aren't.

The real travesty would be allowing the current QB circus to continue for another couple years.

Well judging by the video that Gold found. The kid has a rocket for an arm and has a compact throwing motion and a quick release. Now how he does throwing when he is running for his life or with receivers that can't get open waits to be seen.

Not sure why people are giving up on Dillon already.... give him some time. He came in fairly raw. People expecting him to win the starting job last year were expecting way too much. He played his HS ball in a very below average league.

I blame AZ for all Shane Dillon hysteria.

I am not so sure this says a thing about Shane Dillon. Shane Dillon's little shoulder surgery was a major surgery. He may be 100%, but if I'm the head coach, I am working on depth and contingencies, as well as creating competition at the position.

The writing is on the wall that 2 scholarship QBs are likely to be looking to transfer ASAP.

This Fishback kid fits in nicely in that he's got 3 years of eligibility left (just like Dorman), AND, as several have pointed out, was recruited to SJSU out of high school. I'm sure HCMM has stayed in touch with the kid.

This doesn't say they've lost confidence in Dillon or Sefo. It says that much of the QB numbers we accumulated under Embree were just numbers. To me, it validates what most of us already knew was true.... That we have one guy on the roster who may be a BCS level QB (someday).

I'm surprised so many people are so vehemently opposed to this idea? Football teams need good QBs. We don't have one or we don't have one that is ready. Until then, get new ones and send the old ones that can't play packing.

You guys probably would've complained if the Patriots took some idiot named Tom Brady even though they were set at QB.

I'm mainly opposed to using such a large ratio of our scholarship allotment for one position, however critical the position is. I don't mind finding the right QB, but if the rest of them suck so bad, it is time to start cutting the dead weight and I hate having to think that way.

For those more interested in the football aspects (rather than the drama), here's my observation of Fishback (based on very limited information):

Played QB only at the end of High School, for a very small school outside of Chico, CA (i.e. no-where-ville).
Showed in some camp setups that he can wing the ball - approximately on par with one of the West's most celebrated QB, Cal's Zach Kline.
There's not much footage available except for camp footage in shorts and t-shirt. He compares pretty favorably to Zach Kline in terms of size and arm.
Shows good mechanics and a live arm, with solid release, and good feet (but it's just camp drills remember).
Zach Kline is not a big QB, so I'd guess that Fishback is about 6'1" in reality. HCMM puts less weight on height than Embree did.

I think the biggest question mark on this kid is overall polish and decision making, which can only come with experience. He's not played a ton of QB.
Without seeing game film (and not "highlight film"), it's impossible to know his accuracy, ability to put "touch" on passes, read defenses, react to pressure, etc.

I wouldn't put any weight at all on how this kid's recruitment went. He is from a town of 3500 people, in the sticks, and only moved to QB late in high school. He would not come into the program with the polish of a true freshman that USC may recruit from Mater Dei, who's been working under the tutelage of a private QB coach since the age of 7.

If HCMM thinks the kid can play, compete for some playing time, that makes everyone better.

I'm mainly opposed to using such a large ratio of our scholarship allotment for one position, however critical the position is. I don't mind finding the right QB, but if the rest of them suck so bad, it is time to start cutting the dead weight and I hate having to think that way.

The numbers are about to go down....

For those more interested in the football aspects (rather than the drama), here's my observation of Fishback (based on very limited information):

Played QB only at the end of High School, for a very small school outside of Chico, CA (i.e. no-where-ville).
Showed in some camp setups that he can wing the ball - approximately on par with one of the West's most celebrated QB, Cal's Zach Kline.
There's not much footage available except for camp footage in shorts and t-shirt. He compares pretty favorably to Zach Kline in terms of size and arm.
Shows good mechanics and a live arm, with solid release, and good feet (but it's just camp drills remember).
Zach Kline is not a big QB, so I'd guess that Fishback is about 6'1" in reality. HCMM puts less weight on height than Embree did.

I think the biggest question mark on this kid is overall polish and decision making, which can only come with experience. He's not played a ton of QB.
Without seeing game film (and not "highlight film"), it's impossible to know his accuracy, ability to put "touch" on passes, read defenses, react to pressure, etc.

I wouldn't put any weight at all on how this kid's recruitment went. He is from a town of 3500 people, in the sticks, and only moved to QB late in high school. He would not come into the program with the polish of a true freshman that USC may recruit from Mater Dei, who's been working under the tutelage of a private QB coach since the age of 7.

If HCMM thinks the kid can play, compete for some playing time, that makes everyone better.

Solid analysis. Especially the bolded part. :lol:

When you look at what we have then this starts to make sense.

Webb - Record says it all, we (and Kansas) have seen his act and it doesn't make it. On pace to lose more games than any other D1 QB starter ever has.
Hirsch - Slow release, marginal accuracy, fragile feet. Has had multiple game experiences but never taken the job. Shown some good, more bad
Wood - Highly recruited out of HS, has done nothing since to justify it. In his few opportunities in games was less than impressive
Schrock - Couldn't get a D1 scholly out of HS, never played a down of D1 football
Dorman - Nobody else wanted him, those who have seen him know report there is a reason, never played a down of D1 football
Dillon - Could be a talent for the future but coming off shoulder surgery and still skinny and physically immature, never played a down of D1 football, wasn't in high demand from other schools.
Sefo - May be the most talented QB recruit we have had in years but still will be a true fr. who while he had other schools sniffing around didn't have other reported offers.

If the first 5 on the list left tomorrow would anybody miss them. Would any other major conference school offer them a scholly?

I hope this is an indication that multiple QBs have been advised that their careers at CU have reached their ceiling and that if they want to play another location (and level) would be in their best interest.

Even if Sefo is the real deal and Dillon develops we are still arguable thin in terms of guys who can actually play. Putting them in before they are ready is likely to shellshock them and just add to our QB futility. At worst this guy may buy us some time and add some actual depth, not just a warm body.
Actually, he did get one snap in garbage time late last year. He fumbled the shotgun snap.....

I am not in favor of this move to bring in Fishback, don't like the Touchdown to turnover ratio. I will like to see the team reduce the numbers at QB to 3 for this year, Dillon, Hirshman and Sefo. Then recruit two QB in 2014, I like Campbell and Martin. Sharp is also a very good prospect.

ROTFLMAO! I'm loving the widespread panic here after a half dozen spring practices and two scrimmages ---"No QB has stepped up, HCMM recruiting a newbie----CU sucks and we're all gonna die!!!" This place is better than 103.1 FM

My take, FWIW (same as everybody else's since we're not HC):

Dillon : Not ready due to major surgery, that wasn't a "tweaky" deal, call it a major re-build of his throwing shoulder! He's still skinny because he can't lift full bore with that still-healing bionic shoulder. Wood: self-admitted headcase, "I grip the ball too tight"; think he's put any LESS pressure on himself with the new staff? Does throw a nice ball, but he's pure drop-back. Dorman: WB's payback to Sonny Detmer; would have made a nice QB at Mines or CSU-Pueblo. Webb: Would have replaced Reesing under Mangino the Hutt's spread, but had the misfortune to develop under the second-worst D1 HC evah, only to move on to the worst D1 HC evah! Now, he's hurt, opposite of Wood---he can't grip the ball! Hirschman: Good leader and lockerroom guy. Has enough arm to tease you into thinking he could be very good, but too many injuries have slowed him down, physically and developmentally. Schrock: Smart, tough kid, good for scout team, emergency back-up and clipboard holding/signaling plays, since he's a non-schollie WO, he doesn't hurt. Might have taken a big step up this Spring, but he had mono in the Fall and its really tough to come back from mono if you're trying to lift and play FB (Side Note: Dre did not have mono despite what the idiots at the BDC claim; he likely had a norovirus. I had mono in college, you drop weight like a hot rock and can barely move!) Sefo: Frosh nobody has seen in a college setting. Would have been interesting to see him as an early grad this spring. Excellent athlete who commited early and strongly to the Buffs---sometimes even college coachs understand "No thanks, I am commited to CU". Fishback: Looks good in drills, live arm, good build, good background as an athlete, needs training as QB (the only FB position you can't learn in two weeks) Since he played running back, if he didn't work out at QB, HCMM could move him to LB.

Reactions: aik

I am not in favor of this move to bring in Fishback, don't like the Touchdown to turnover ratio. I will like to see the team reduce the numbers at QB to 3 for this year, Dillon, Hirshman and Sefo. Then recruit two QB in 2014, I like Campbell and Martin. Sharp is also a very good prospect.

3QB's? Are you serious? 2 freshman? 2 of them having a history of surgeries. We would die.

They took Tom Brady in the sixth round. Nobody cares who you take in the sixth round.

3QB's? Are you serious? 2 freshman? 2 of them having a history of surgeries. We would die.

Not a lot of good QB on the roster. Schrock can continue on the scout team. Dorman moved to safety. Webb moved to WR. Wood moved to TE. No quick fixes. It will take some time to properly rebuild the program. I would give Dillon the starting job if it is even or close to been even with Hirschman in the QB competition. Dillon is the future, he needs the college snaps to get better. Experience means nothing in the current situation.

Last edited:
Back