What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre contract approved in 8-0 vote

Came across my TL from someone who I believe posts here (s/o to them).

I get where she’s coming from but ...the players aren’t technically unpaid (stipend) and certainly aren’t uncompensated. For me the rub is a matter of equity...is their current compensation fair considering the amount of revenue that is generated?

I get where she’s coming from but ...the players aren’t technically unpaid (stipend) and certainly aren’t uncompensated. For me the rub is a matter of equity...is their current compensation fair considering the amount of revenue that is generated?

Yes it’s way more than fair. Minor league baseball players get far less and they have no support system and crappy facilities.

Get out the waahmbulance.

No one forces them to play college sports in exchange for no student loan debt, free gear, fame, and the possibility of fortune after the fact.
Would you take pennies on the dollar for your work salary and call it fair compensation?

I'm sure no one is forcing you to work your job in exchange for your salary or benefits. By the same logic I hope you don't feel the need to ask your boss for a raise or more vacation, etc.

Last edited:
It is a free and open market. They can leave for the NFL or Canadian football whenever they wish. Most of them will find in that free market they get paid nothing.
Why do you feel that college football players aren't entitled to a fair wage based on the amount of revenue they generate for their universities? Surely you don't feel this way about other workers in America. Why are they special and must be consigned to making less when no one else in the working world expected to live under these rules?

One of the biggest issues with this is that you either pay ALL of the scholarship athletes or you "pay" none of them. Sure football is the highest revenue generating sport at the collegiate level. That revenue equals millions of dollars for the athletic departments. Athletic departments in turn take that revenue and convert it straight into other sports.

You will not be able to pay football players and no one else. The system doesn't work that way. Because it doesn't work that way, the system would collapse. AD's cannot afford to pay a stipend to every single scholarship athlete, so they would cut any program that doesn't turn a profit. Basically leaves you with football and men's basketball.

Would you take pennies on the dollar for your work salary and call it fair compensation?

I'm sure no one is forcing you to work your job in exchange for your salary or benefits. By the same logic I hope you don't feel the need to ask your boss for a raise or more vacation, etc.
Way to set up a strawman.

Let's take your premise to its logical conclusion. Treat them all like real employees. So if they are all employees, that means the school should be able to fire them if they don't perform on or off the field. They should be able to pay some more than others. The employees should be able to quit to take a new job whenever a better one comes along.

This isn't apples to apples with the real world.

Why do you feel that college football players aren't entitled to a fair wage based on the amount of revenue they generate for their universities? Surely you don't feel this way about other workers in America. Why are they special and must be consigned to making less when no one else in the working world expected to live under these rules?

The harsh truth is that scholarship athletes are compensated far more than they are worth. They should be counting their blessings.

Workers in the free market are compensated for their market value, not for a percentage of the total revenue of their employer.

Athletes receive more in scholarship and living stipend (not to mention facilities, tutoring and massive amounts of athletic tutelage) than most college graduates will receive in their first jobs. Compare that to minor league baseball players who barely make make minimum wage.

In fact Basketball and Football have solved a major problem by building a collegiate minors system that uses the pride and loyalty of students, alumni and the states/communities represented as a built-in fan-base to create the athletic revenues needed to compensate developing players at a level that is unprecedented in the whole world. In fact, all these revenues are reinvested back into facilities, staff and scholarships for all the student athletes. There is nothing left over to add to the already awesome compensation that student athletes already receive.

Back