What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre is different

Nepotism is nepotism regardless of performance, I can see why that bothers some people.
Actually it is not. Nepotism is favoritism shown to family in spite of poor performance or lack of qualification. So far, I have have not seen enough to make that call, but based on reports from camp, Jay has been performing well enough to justify his scholarship.

Have you actually seen him play or are you gonna keep talking out of your ass?

The kid can play is has good size for a slot WR no matter what you say. Your comments though make it clear you don't know what you're talking about.
You're not doing it right. First, seek to understand.

On the J-Mac stuff. In practice that dude is always doing something awesome. He's been really impressive.

I didn't agree with the recruitment of Jay Mac, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of it, two years after the fact. It is what it is. Thus far, there's been no indication that his presence in the lockerroom has been a distraction or a problem in any way. WR is a very different position from QB. You can have as many as 5 WRs on the field at the same time. Nobody is going to avoid coming to CU because they're worried they won't get playing time at WR. That was the major issue with Cody.

fify with the bold. We'll have a 7 or 8 WR rotation, too. Whomever is more effective will get more snaps.

I also think that it was a good point in this thread that being on scholarship does change the dynamic of what the player has access to in terms of training and whatnot. And that HCMM avoided it being a money thing by endowing a WLAX scholarship in the spring after signing Jay for football.

That's the thing, I know I haven't. Ill reserve judgement till I do. I could care less who his dad is if he can help the O.

You have been to practice?
Yep. I'm in town working remotely for two weeks. Both last year and this year I've seen J-Mac get separation and always make his catch. It seems like he might do something for CU before he's done here.

Yep. I'm in town working remotely for two weeks. Both last year and this year I've seen J-Mac get separation and always make his catch. It seems like he might do something for CU before he's done here.
Good to know, I hope he is allsome.

Really liked what I saw in the 1v1 portion of the Spring Game, too. Glad to hear it's continued to Fall Camp.

JayMac is going to make big plays for the Buffs this year, when I talked to Lindgren about him, he specifically mentioned 3rd down as a place Jay shines in the scrimmages they've had. He looks really good out there day in and day out. Great sign for the Buffs? Of all the good things I have to say about Jay, Donovan Lee has looked even better, he'll probably be your starter out there, but both of them have a bunch of talent in different areas so they'll both help the team.

As I (and Jay) both said in my article on him, it all comes down to winning. If they start to win, people will love Jay, if they don't, this conversation will continue to come up.

My take on MacIntyre is that he listens to the questions and answers as honestly as he can without giving too much away. He seems to try to answer a question thoroughly and to have respect for the journalists who have a job to do (and respect for fans) by not giving completely pat answers or dismissing things as if we couldn't possibly grasp the complexities of college football. Not a lot of fireworks or sound bytes, so he makes for a boring interview. But he can be educational.
Nice summary. He doesn't BS, but so many sports questions are geared to cliche answers. There are times, like with Baltazar, where he said his peace and said he wasn't going to say anymore (I think he's pissed at CU admissions). I don't think he's as critical about players in the media as he is in practice, but that would be inappropriate anyway. He's not colorful like RichRod or Leach, which can be seen as good and bad.

Overall, I really like the guy and think he is the right guy for the job he inherited at Boulder...and time will prove me right or wrong.

JayMac is going to make big plays for the Buffs this year, when I talked to Lindgren about him, he specifically mentioned 3rd down as a place Jay shines in the scrimmages they've had. He looks really good out there day in and day out. Great sign for the Buffs? Of all the good things I have to say about Jay, Donovan Lee has looked even better, he'll probably be your starter out there, but both of them have a bunch of talent in different areas so they'll both help the team.

As I (and Jay) both said in my article on him, it all comes down to winning. If they start to win, people will love Jay, if they don't, this conversation will continue to come up.

Wow plugging the story like a pro. Perfect timing.

Reactions: RK
I think there are 4 groups of people who are having an issue with Jay Mac being on the team. (With some overlap.)

1. The "Nepotism" group that doesn't like to see someone bring family on board in the work environment on general principle -- whether it's MacIntyre, Kubiak, political dynasties with Bush & Clinton, businesses like with Murdoch, or wherever.

2. The "Nepotism" group that is leery of it but not automatically opposed but has a specific distaste and distrust for it in relation to CU football after the Dan & Cody show.

3. The "In-State Uber Alles" group that is pissed off about the WR from Fairview not getting a CU offer while Jay did.

4. The "Embree FTMFW" group that will bitch about anything MacIntyre does as an armchair quarterback after the fact. (If Jay hadn't signed with CU, this group would be posting, "Mike MacIntyre sucks. Recruiting is awful and he couldn't even sign his own son.")

I'm pretty much ok with groups 1 & 2 even though I disagree.

Gotta love the hate on a back-up slot receiver who has never played a down. Some people hate, just to hate.

Anyways, back to the original topic. I do see similarities to Hawkins and Mac2. I think they are both great people and care for the individuals they work with and see. Both had similar backgrounds as well. One difference I see is in the losses. You can tell when Mac2 loses a game that it just eats at him. I never really saw that with Hawkins. It obviously bothered him, but I don't think to the point it does Mac. You also never saw Hawkins fire coaches for lack of performance/effort. We've seen that with Mac2.

I have maintained that this is a pivotal year for CU football. You have to show improvement in W/L department and at least be pushing for a bowl game. When Hawkins couldn't turn things around and the pressure started heavily on him, he went into defense mode. You then got amazing answers regarding GPA's and what not when someone asked why wins weren't coming.

Kind of surprised the JayMac thing has even come up again. Of all the things to worry about at this point in what is a pivotal season for our Buffs, why are so many still bitching about the JayMac offer? I'll admit, at the time I was not a big fan of it, but I let it go a while a go and moved on to things more worth worrying about for our Buffs. Given the frequent positive reports about Jay's potential from Rivals guys, fans and the media, there is nothing to believe he is not going to be a contributor starting this year.

-Why not be a walk on?
Scholarship includes other benefits that will help performance.

-Doesn't matter, family all getting financial benefit of scholarship.
No, family fully funded an additional scholarship in a new sport, the cost of which is greater than just paying tuition. (I.e. The family is actually paying more to do it this way.)

-He's not talented enough to deserve a scholarship.
The people who have actually seen him practice disagree.

-It's hurting recruiting.
5 to 8 receivers see the field every single game. Hell, sometimes 5 receivers see the field on a single play, and 8 in a single possession. I know you think receivers are dumb, but most of them can count.

-It could hurt locker room culture.
It also could help it. No real evidence to prove either assertion.

-It upsets some fans.
There are many better things to be upset about, e.g. losing. Be upset about that.

Until you (or really anyone) can provide actual evidence and not mindless speculation that a better receiver is being held back over JMac, or that his presence is causing division in the locker room, or that a 4* receiver is going to tell us "no," because they somehow can't figure out that he can't actually play 2+ positions at the exact same time, then you really should stfu.

Kind of surprised the JayMac thing has even come up again. Of all the things to worry about at this point in what is a pivotal season for our Buffs, why are so many still bitching about the JayMac offer? I'll admit, at the time I was not a big fan of it, but I let it go a while a go and moved on to things more worth worrying about for our Buffs. Given the frequent positive reports about Jay's potential from Rivals guys, fans and the media, there is nothing to believe he is not going to be a contributor starting this year.
What? Don't you know the backup slot receiver is the most important position in football? #sarcasm #hatersgonnahate

Going back to the original topic... I recently spoke with a player who was recruited by Hawkins, spent 2 years under Embree and finished his career after MM's first year. He told me the professionalism, CARE and "Four F's" that Mac and his staff preaches is the real deal. The staff, including Mac, genuinely cares about the kids and will routinely meet with them on a one on one basis to discuss non-football related things, eat meals with them, etc. From what this individual said, most of the guys really appreciate that sort of thing and it brought many of the "Hawk recruits" around on Mac, whereas with Embree, they were pretty sour. This individual player told me that this staff is very easy to get along with, brings a whole different vibe than the previous 2 regimes, and the players want to win for him. Just one former player's opinion.

Going back to the original topic... I recently spoke with a player who was recruited by Hawkins, spent 2 years under Embree and finished his career after MM's first year. He told me the professionalism, CARE and "Four F's" that Mac and his staff preaches is the real deal. The staff, including Mac, genuinely cares about the kids and will routinely meet with them on a one on one basis to discuss non-football related things, eat meals with them, etc. From what this individual said, most of the guys really appreciate that sort of thing and it brought many of the "Hawk recruits" around on Mac, whereas with Embree, they were pretty sour. This individual player told me that this staff is very easy to get along with, brings a whole different vibe than the previous 2 regimes, and the players want to win for him. Just one former player's opinion.

Was this one person's perspective, or multiple?

Back