What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend Did Not Exist - Hoax!

The (not so) innocent bystander in all this is Stanford University.

I can not believe that Stanford missed out on the national press that links Manti Te'o to one of their own alleged students. If the Sports Illustrated article wasn't enough for the SAD to pick up the phone and call admissions, then they might have been motivated by ND's independent private investigator or Deadspin's reporter snooping around. Since those two schools play each other, there is a relationship between ADs.

Its kind of brutal of Stanford to pretend to play along in ignorance. They might have proactively called ND and followed up with letters to the editor to the various media outlets explaining that Lennay Kakua wasn't a Stanford student.

Probably Manti, looks like he doesn't know what to do. Don't **** with the Internet kids. If you did no wrong, say something. I'd be pretty damn mad, if this was me, and I knew damn well I didn't do anything.

I can not believe that Stanford missed out on the national press that links Manti Te'o to one of their own alleged students. If the Sports Illustrated article wasn't enough for the SAD to pick up the phone and call admissions, then they might have been motivated by ND's independent private investigator or Deadspin's reporter snooping around. Since those two schools play each other, there is a relationship between ADs.

Its kind of brutal of Stanford to pretend to play along in ignorance. They might have proactively called ND and followed up with letters to the editor to the various media outlets explaining that Lennay Kakua wasn't a Stanford student.

You seriously think Stanford had a duty here!?!? Why should Stanford be accountable for ND's idiots?

This was my first thought as well - that Stanford had to be in on it as well. He'll, if he'd said he was dating a girl at CU, I guarantee you some idot in the admissions office would be checking out the girl's info just out of curiosity. You can't tell me that the folks at Stanford didn't know this girl wasn't a student there. They only take a couple thousand in every Freshman class.

This was my first thought as well - that Stanford had to be in on it as well. He'll, if he'd said he was dating a girl at CU, I guarantee you some idot in the admissions office would be checking out the girl's info just out of curiosity.

Apparently Stanford doesn't have a dply working for them....

This was my first thought as well - that Stanford had to be in on it as well. He'll, if he'd said he was dating a girl at CU, I guarantee you some idot in the admissions office would be checking out the girl's info just out of curiosity. You can't tell me that the folks at Stanford didn't know this girl wasn't a student there. They only take a couple thousand in every Freshman class.

The only reason Stanford would even look into this would be to find a way to benefit, since that isn't the type of school they run I cant come up with a reason why they spend 2 seconds on this.

The only reason Stanford would even look into this would be to find a way to benefit, since that isn't the type of school they run I cant come up with a reason why they spend 2 seconds on this.

You don't think somebody at Stanford would have checked into a story about one of their students dying?

They would have to step lightly around FERPA though. Nothing wrong with saying that they have no record of the girl going to school there but if she did exist they couldn't say much.

In this day in age everything you do is trackable so if they saw that your operator ID looked up the student for no reason but to stalk her then you could get in real trouble.

They would have to step lightly around FERPA though. Nothing wrong with saying that they have no record of the girl going to school there but if she did exist they couldn't say much.

In this day in age everything you do is trackable so if they saw that your operator ID looked up the student for no reason but to stalk her then you could get in real trouble.

Also, what are the issues with Stanford being a private institution?

Didn't Peanuts Kerr teach us all in the scandal that wasn't, that schools should be monitoring their student athletes' social lives 24/7?

You tell me - if there was a national story about a CU co-Ed who had died, wouldn't somebody look into it?

You don't think somebody at Stanford would have checked into a story about one of their students dying?

How many people claim to go to Stanford? You think they bother to check every single one of them out?

I follow sports pretty closely and I didn't know anything regarding Teo's "girlfriend" until yesterday. There is no reason to think anyone at Stanford did either, let alone that they knew "she was a Stanford student/alum" or decided to check that information out. What is the gain for Stanford in going along with the ruse? Nothing.

How many people claim to go to Stanford? You think they bother to check every single one of them out?
On national TV?

At the very least, I would have expected something to come out that she wasn't a student there.

Also, apparently the girl in the photo really does exist. Wouldn't it get back to her that she was supposedly dating this guy?

On national TV?

At the very least, I would have expected something to come out that she wasn't a student there.

Also, apparently the girl in the photo really does exist. Wouldn't it get back to her that she was supposedly dating this guy?

Stanford football fans don't even follow football.

I was about to rep you Junc. That was funny. I'm glad I saw it before it was taken down.

You seriously think Stanford had a duty here!?!? Why should Stanford be accountable for ND's idiots?

I do NOT think Stanford has a duty here.

But I DO think an ethical calculation played out.

Somebody in Stanford made a choice between doing nothing and doing something.

The outcome was "**** it. Let those Notre Dame bastards twist in the wind."

That is the extent of my analysis.

In reading the reports, the ND AD hired a private investigator in early December. Assuming this is true, I have reason to believe Stanford was aware of this story five weeks ago, at the latest. They might have had this on their radar since the Sports Illustrated story that ran following the late September Michigan State - ND game.

SAD Bernard Muir and ND AD Jack Swarbrick had plenty of occation to chat before, during and after the Oct 13 rivalry game.

Muir might have gone for common courtesy and said, "Hey Jack, Kekua isn't a Stanford coed. Leave us out of this Heisman campaign." Then Swarbrick might have blown him off.

Or he might have gone Machiavellian, and thought to himself, "Any publicity for Stanford is good publicity. This is Notre Dame's issue and I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole."

Or he might not have cared. Sometimes it really is that simple.

Stanford got little to nothing out of the publicity.

Or he might not have cared. Sometimes it really is that simple.

Stanford got little to nothing out of the publicity.

We agree that he didn't care. That's my point.

The only benefit Stanford got is the schadenfruede of watching annual scheduling partner Notre Dame get egg on their face.

I do NOT think Stanford has a duty here.

But I DO think an ethical calculation played out.

Somebody in Stanford made a choice between doing nothing and doing something.

The outcome was "**** it. Let those Notre Dame bastards twist in the wind."

That is the extent of my analysis.

In reading the reports, the ND AD hired a private investigator in early December. Assuming this is true, I have reason to believe Stanford was aware of this story five weeks ago, at the latest. They might have had this on their radar since the Sports Illustrated story that ran following the late September Michigan State - ND game.

SAD Bernard Muir and ND AD Jack Swarbrick had plenty of occation to chat before, during and after the Oct 13 rivalry game.

Muir might have gone for common courtesy and said, "Hey Jack, Kekua isn't a Stanford coed. Leave us out of this Heisman campaign." Then Swarbrick might have blown him off.

Or he might have gone Machiavellian, and thought to himself, "Any publicity for Stanford is good publicity. This is Notre Dame's issue and I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole."

It's not on their radar. The player in question is not a student at Stanford. Someone at stanford also made a choice not to confirm or deny that bigfoot is or was a student at Stanford.

Nope.

But there are exceptions for those who died a horrible death and are aligned with high profile Heisman candidates that are coming through Palo Alto.

Guess what? high profile public personalities are held to a different standard. Money was being raised in support of cancer victims in South Bend. C'mon.

If some congressman or one of the Kardashians incorrectly claimed to go to Stanford, then that is another story.

Back