What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- SOCCER opens CU's 23/24 sporting year hosting the UNC Bears (Thursday, 8/17/23, 7:00 PM MT) & Marquette (Sunday, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
As usual, soccer is the 1st CU sport (each academic year) to open up its season, with extra excitement Thursday as its the 1st night game ever at Prentup Field after the school included new lights as part of improvements taking place at East Campus. This year's season starts with the Northern Colorado Bears (4-11-3 last season) heading to Boulder Thursday night, followed by a Sunday matinee hosting the Marquette Golden Eagles (7-7-4 in 2022).

(In a couple non-counting exhibitions it hosted last week, looks like the Bears split, defeating Colorado College 2-0 Tuesday before falling to the CSU Rams 0-3 on Friday. Marquette, like the Buffs, isn't showing any preseason exhibitions. They open up their official season Thursday with a nice challenge, as they host preseason #18 ranked Northwestern.)

Not that last season means much of anything anymore, but just to maybe get a ROUGH idea on the competition, CU ended up #69 in the last RPI rating in 2022, while UNC was #293 and Marquette #163 .

Both matches are scheduled to be shown on the Pac 12 Networks' Mountain channel. (See more details and links near the bottom of this post.)

Go Buffs!!!

(Cubuffs.com preview not available as I type this.)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More on the opponents -

UNC:
Roster
- https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster
Stats (From last season) - https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats
Schedule/ results for this season - https://uncbears.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.

Marquette:
Roster
- https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/roster/2023
Stats (From last season) - https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/stats/2022
Schedule/ results for this season - https://gomarquette.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule/2023
Their preview article for the match with the Buffs - Not available as I type this.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

Link to links to Live stats for both matches -
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statbroadcast.php?t=1&gid=colo . Direct links for the matches:
UNC - http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=469619
Marquette -
Live Video:
Vs. UNC -
The match is scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2023/08/17/northern-colorado-colorado .
Vs. Marquette - The match is scheduled to be shown live on the Pac 12 Mountain channel. For those whose Cable/ Satellite/ Cord Cutting subscription includes access to any Pac 12 channel, assume it can also be streamed through a link at https://pac-12.com/womens-soccer/event/2023/08/20/marquette-colorado .

Match notes:
Vs. UNC -
https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/8/15/Northern_Colorado.pdf
Vs. Marquette - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/8/18/Marquette.pdf

Last edited:
UNC really struggled last season, winning 4 games total and none in conference play. Down the stretch they weren't scoring goals. They did beat CC in an exhibition game this year but they lost to CSU.

Preview for Thursday night's match.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/15/soccer-set-for-thursday-night-lights.aspx

"
BOULDER—The 28th season of Colorado soccer is set to kickoff in a big way. The Buffaloes will host Northern Colorado in the program's first game under the lights at the newly renovated Prentup Field Thursday night (7 p.m. MT) .

The Buffs start the 2023 campaign with a heavy dose of home cooking. CU will play its first six matches and seven of its first eight at Prentup. Colorado finished the 2022 season with a strong 8-2-2 record in front of its home crowd.

The Buffaloes have spent the last week and a half getting reacquainted with the home pitch, having started the first week of the preseason training inside Folsom Field. The Buffs unveiled their new locker room before last Saturday's Black & Gold scrimmage, providing a spark going into the final days of preparation.

CU wrapped up training on Tuesday with the announcement of senior Rachel Rosen as the team's captain for the 2023 season. The Hermosa Beach, Calif., native, has played all over the pitch for head coach Danny Sanchez in her previous three seasons.

"We evaluated last year and as we got through the spring and into the summer Rachel stood out as not only a leader holding herself accountable to herself, her teammates and the coaching staff," Sanchez explained. "We got great feedback from the team and it was unanimous with the coaches. We felt that she would do a great job of leading the team. But like I told the team in the locker room, we need a lot more people to step up. We have a lot of great players in that locker room that will step up and accept roles and take some of that burden off Rachel."

The Buffs will train under the lights on Wednesday night to close out the preseason. The session will serve as a final audition for all 28 players positioning for a spot in the starting 11. The roster went through an overhaul from the 2022 season with 14 newcomers joining the 14 returners. Even with the turnover, CU has 275 games started in the Black & Gold returning in 2023.

"[Thursday] we're going to roll 11 starters but odds are those aren't going to be the 11 starters on Sunday or going forward," Sanchez added. "There's a lot of competition. A lot of players are going to get an opportunity. It's a good problem to have. The players are in a great place and they have to be great teammates. On gameday, it's about 'side before self.' It's about the team and they've bought into that. You never know when your chance is going to come."

The Buffs have won all 11 contests against Northern Colorado dating back to 1996. Thursday will be the first time the two teams have met in the regular season since game two of the COVID delayed 2020 season. Only seven players remain on the CU roster from that match, with Shyra James notching her first career goal in the last meeting.

Northern Colorado went 4-11-3 last season. Lauren Woodhull returns as the team's top scorer. She led the Bears last season with 11 points (5 G, 1 A). Goalkeeper Kaya Lindberg started all 17 games last season for UNC, posting a Big Sky Conference-best 5.24 saves per game.

"We know the challenge that Tim Barrera and his UNC Bears will bring down to us," Sanchez commented. "They are well coached and are very athletic. They have had two scrimmages under their belt so they have been able to iron out some things and sort out their player rotation. We might be slow out of the starting blocks [on Thursday] but we feel that we have a lot of players that have shown well in the preseason. We're excited for what they can do this fall."

Thad Anderson will have the season-opening call on the Pac-12 Network.

The first 250 fans in attendance will receive a commemorative ticket. There will also be a scarf giveaway while supplies last and a Happy Hour concessions deal featuring discounts on beer and a package deal for a non-alcoholic beverage and one food item.
"

In the Pac 12 last season the Buffs scored a total of 11 goals in 11 games. Six of those goals were scored by Civana Kuhlmann and 2 by Kayleigh Webb. Both have graduated. CU was shutout in four of those matches.

Defensively they conceded 27 goals in conference play, so certainly they need to play better in that area. But averaging one goal a match is going to cut it either.

In the Pac 12 last season the Buffs scored a total of 11 goals in 11 games. Six of those goals were scored by Civana Kuhlmann and 2 by Kayleigh Webb. Both have graduated. CU was shutout in four of those matches.

Defensively they conceded 27 goals in conference play, so certainly they need to play better in that area. But averaging one goal a match is going to cut it either.
my biggest question going into the season is can they score

Yep. Most of the offseason additions seemed to be about adding firepower, so at least we know Sanchez tried to address the issue

We most likely won't get a true sense of this until they play Michigan State. Last season Shyra James scored most of her goals v weak non-conference opponents. When conference play came along she struggled to score and if it wasn't for Civana Kuhlmann it would have been really ugly in conference play.

For this season they have changed from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 which means the two forwards may be able to play a bit higher up the pitch and feed off of each other. When there are three forwards like last season two of them have serious defensive responsibilities.

Shyra James is likely to be one of the two starters, but I bet early in the season that there will be four fighting for playing time (James, Emerson Layne, Lila Dere and Hope Leyba).

Of course there is the question of service to the forwards and that should mostly come from the midfield. Jenny Beyer went down in the scrimmage with an injury and I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't play tonight. Who takes her place as the attacking midfielder? Not sure. Healthy players who look like they will facilitating the attack will be Juliauna Hayward and Ava Priest (Boulder High!!) - given what I saw in the scrimmage.

There should be a lot of battles for playing time all over the pitch, including the keepers and this competition could go on for a good portion of the non-conference schedule.

nice way to start. The lebya sisters are not going to make friends with their play. both had 3 fouls tonight

Media after today's win.

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/17/soccer-buffs-turn-the-lights-off-on-unc.aspx

"
BOULDER—The inaugural night game at Prentup Field was a success for the Colorado soccer team on Thursday night. The Buffaloes led open to close, putting away the visiting Northern Colorado Bears 3-0 to open the 2023 campaign.

"It was a beautiful evening," head coach Danny Sanchez commented about the night's atmosphere. "We want to thank everybody that had a hand in making this happen. As far as the game, I thought we started really well and scored a couple of good goals. I think in the second half we lost a bit of rhythm. Having said that, give credit to Northern Colorado. I thought they were dangerous going forward and on set pieces [in the second half]."

The Buffaloes improved to 10-0-2 under Sanchez in season-openers and 17-6-5 all-time. Thursday's win marked the 12th consecutive against the Bears. Colorado has yet to concede a goal to UNC in the all-time series.

Colorado led 2-0 at the half and tacked one on midway through the second to put the finishing touches on the night. The Buffs held the decisive 20-5 advantage in shots on the night.

"We got everybody in the game which is important early in the year," Sanchez added. "I thought there were some good individual performances. We got a 3-0 win at home. It was a beautiful evening for our first game under the lights. I was very pleased."

Newcomer in net Jordan Nytes picked up her seventh career shutout with three saves in her CU debut.

All 22 available field players got into the action in the opener. The Buffs are mixing in 14 newcomers with the 14 returners.

"It's the first game under the lights and if you have or haven't played [a night game] before it's going to be exciting and a little nerve-wracking," Sanchez explained of his group. "This was UNC's third game, having two scrimmages before tonight. They've been able to iron out some of the kinks. We were looking at the team performance, but we're also looking at the individual performance. I thought the team played well and I thought there were some really good individual performances as well."

Notes
The win was No. 122 all-time at Prentup Field…Colorado is now 20-22-6 under Sanchez at night…Colorado picked up 14 fouls to UNC's one, but the Bears had the only caution with a yellow card in the 51st minute…The shutout was the first for the Buffs since Oct. 9, 2022…James' first career goal also came against Northern Colorado in 2020…James led the team with four shots.
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2023/8/17/261368__1_.PDF.pdf

Last edited:
Buffzone.com/ Pat Rooney article after the match. (Bad news near the end of it in the "notable" section as it says Jenny Beyer is out for the year. (She suffered what looked to be a knee injury during last weekend's Black and Gold scrimmage.) On the plus side, it also says 3 year starting defender Lawson Willis, who also didn't play today, "is expected to return soon.")

First off - The atmosphere was great. It makes a difference having the lights. Also, the new dugouts are very professional. And we've seen the images of the new locker room which is posh as well.

For the fans, the amenities aren't complete yet as construction is still going on between Prentup and Potts field for the new bathrooms, etc.

As for the game, the Buffs generally looked in control v the Bears who weren't as technically or physically talented as the Buffs. At the same time the Buffs are a work in progress on the attacking end. It would seem that Jenny Beyer was going to be a key part of the attack, but she's out for the season so for this game Emerson Layne started in the attacking midfield role. My guess is that others will get a shot at this position over the course of the non-conference schedule.

The Buffs were generally in control of this match with a high percentage of their possession coming in the attacking half where a bulk of UNC's was in their defensive half. At times CU was patient and moved the ball around thee back while probing UNC's defense while at others they hit early and more direct balls tp the forwards.

CU's next opponent, Marquette, lost at home 0-4 to Northwestern last night.

nice way to start. The lebya sisters are not going to make friends with their play. both had 3 fouls tonight
^^Yup. They are gonna be a handful for the opposition both are strong, tough and physical. Hope (forward) brings good hold up play and hard work. Faith (center back) uses here physicality to take control to her area.

Fellow freshman Ava Priest was very impressive in a different way. She is very good on the ball and keeps possession going in a positive direction by intercepting passes, turning out of pressure and running with the ball into open space while looking for the next pass to make. Her play is ahead of her age as she turned 17 about a month ago. Given this she is most likely going to improve in all aspects of her game. Also, she brings a large andd vocal cheering section from Boulder High.

Article on CU early arrival and Boulder High alum freshman Ava Priest. (Although no detail is given on tomorrow's opponent, assume this is the closest to a preview cubuffs may be providing.)

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/19/soccer-priest-fulfilling-childhood-dream.aspx

"
BOULDER—Colorado freshman Ava Priest is not your ordinary freshman roaming campus for the Buffaloes this fall.

The 17-year-old striker graduated from right down the road at Boulder High School a year early, having decided to reclassify from the class of 2024 to 2023. A decision that came early on in her junior year of high school.

Priest had options open to her. She could have chosen to spend this season in Spain, a place where she was comfortable and already had success. Priest previously trained with Mislata, SPF and Deportivo in Spain and help Mislata win a Valencia Cup title.

"I decided to come [to CU] early because I was ready for the next thing," Priest explained about her decision. "I decided in October of my junior year [2022] that I wanted to graduate early. At first, I was going to go overseas and play for a year before going to college, but I talked to the coaches here and that helped convince me to join the team right away."

Her final year of high school became a grind to make sure she got all her graduation requirements met a full year ahead of schedule.

"To graduate early I had to get a bunch of volunteer hours to make up for the elective credits that I didn't have," Priest added. "I took a few classes online, packed my schedule junior year and grinded it out."

Combine the added schoolwork with a full club schedule with Colorado Rush and there were not a lot of hours left in the day.

"It was really tough," Priest expressed. "If I'm being honest, there were things that were cut. I didn't sleep very much, but it was worth it. I'm really glad I did it. I'm really happy to be here."

Her choice paid off in Colorado's season opener against Northern Colorado. Priest was one of three freshmen to earn a starting spot in head coach Danny Sanchez's opening lineup.

"The world game on the women's side is blowing up," Sanchez commented. "The NWSL has signed numerous teenagers to professional contracts. [Soccer] is starting to get like the world game, where you don't have to go to college. Elsewhere in the world, they are signing professional contracts as 14 and 15-year-olds.

"Ava was going to go over to Europe and see what happens. We watched her play this summer alongside Lawson Willis on a summer league team. We kind of said that if she was going to go to Spain that she might as well come down the road [to CU] for better facilities, a better training level and a better environment to develop her long-term goals. We're excited she's here and is the youngest player in CU history."

Priest was in no way a stranger to the CU soccer program. She attended many games at Prentup Field as a fan, helped out as a ball girl and got to walk out with the Buffs' starting lineup.

"I came to every single game as a kid," Priest admitted. "I was a huge fan. I don't know if you remember [Cu alum] Danica Evans, but she used to do the flip throw. I started doing the flip throw because of her. I watched her during a game and I was like, 'I'm going to do the same thing.'"

Evans wasn't the only former Buff to leave an impact on Priest. She pointed to former Buffs Stephanie Zuniga, Erin Greening and Jalen Tompkins as being some of her "idols."

"They were all really competitive," Priest recalled. "They were really good players and had a lot of energy. They were also good people off the field. So even when I was like nine years old I felt like they were big sisters to me."

Priest played in 58 minutes in her debut on Thursday and awed the crowd with multiple flip throws.

"It was crazy," she noted. "It was like everything went full circle. I went from watching all the games to playing with the team. I can't believe it worked like that."

Priest and the Buffaloes will be back home against Marquette on Sunday. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. MT on the Pac-12 Mountain Network.

Sunday is Youth Day at Prentup Field. Kids 12 and under will receive a free CU pop it toy.
"

Buffzone/ Pat Rooney preview for tomorrow's match. (It has a lot more info about the Buff team overall and the match than the cubuffs article I quoted and linked to in my last post.)

Back