What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB GAME THREAD - CU @ Arizona | Jan 3rd @7pm | FS1

I don't recognize this team anymore. They've been absolute trash since they got on a plane to Hawaii.
Can’t argue that, but beating Drake & South Dakota St only made us look good, not actually good.

Still, hanging in the game at AZ means something regarding potential.

Well that's game. Ugly game, but whatever...this was a game you hope to win, not expect. I'm disappointed though in Stewart and Namon. Some lackadaisical play from both of them at times. Our off ball screens suck...

This team needs to regroup; still fought all the way to the end, and that's something to be proud of.

Yup. Some frustrating play tonight, but this is about what I expected. If ever there was a time to get a win @ McHale its this year, really bugs me to be honest.

Walton was sorely missed tonight.

Utah beat ASU in Tempe tonight. This conference sucks.

Yup. Some frustrating play tonight, but this is about what I expected. If ever there was a time to get a win @ McHale its this year, really bugs be to honest.

Walton was sorely missed tonight.

Utah beat ASU in Tempe tonight. This conference sucks.
Yes. Yes it does.

Without Walton this team has no real interior presence. There are guys who can rebound and who can score in the paint but nobody who is a physical presence there.

Combine that with not having enough of a threat on the outside to effectively stretch the defense and we can look ugly.

I’m still surprised people continually peg this team’s problems on losing Walton and lack of interior presence. Yes, Walton would be a big help, no doubt. But Battey, Bey and Siewert are doing pretty well. We have 4 players on this team that would get decent minutes on any other P12 team ... and that’s 3 of them.

This team loses because we have exactly one guard who threatens the defense. One. That’s amazing to me. Gatling, Schwartz, Wright, Brown are space fillers. Guys who pass the ball around the perimeter and then stand. Parquet and Kountz get a pass somewhat, but even with them, I’m not seeing much in the way of dynamic play making or shooting (and we know freshmen can make immediate impact ... we had a stellar one last year.)

I have watched or been at every game this season and I can tell you, without hesitation, that the Buffs played as well as they are capable of playing last night. They faced a team that is, better than them, but they didn't back down and didn't wilt. Yes, there were some ugly shots, yes there was some stagnant play but overall they played well. Also, CU's zone was a big difference maker in that game. Without it, CU would have lost by much more. I hope that level of play continues moving forward, because they are capable of MUCH worse.

I don't think anyone can score in the paint, except MWIV. Inch for inch, he's the best inside guy.
Bey is a force on defense and the boards, but he's not going to score much. Battey has some skills. Lucas can shoot a bit, but he's abused inside.

As for the other perimeter pieces other than MWIV, everyone else is a reasonably athletic guy that runs around but lacks any semblance of offensive skills or having the ability to create a shot, penetrate off the dribble, shoot a 3... This seems like a Tad thing.

I’m still surprised people continually peg this team’s problems on losing Walton and lack of interior presence. Yes, Walton would be a big help, no doubt. But Battey, Bey and Siewert are doing pretty well. We have 4 players on this team that would get decent minutes on any other P12 team ... and that’s 3 of them.

This team loses because we have exactly one guard who threatens the defense. One. That’s amazing to me. Gatling, Schwartz, Wright, Brown are space fillers. Guys who pass the ball around the perimeter and then stand. Parquet and Kountz get a pass somewhat, but even with them, I’m not seeing much in the way of dynamic play making or shooting (and we know freshmen can make immediate impact ... we had a stellar one last year.)

Having Walton around gives you 5 more fouls for the post players to work with at the very least. It also allows Siewart and Battey to venture out to the perimeter more on offense where they've showed they can hit the 3 ball(Siewart more than Battey obviously). Defensively he's the presence down low that we don't have right now. I love Battey's game, but he's not the rim protector that Walton can be just because of his height. Its just my opinion but we're missing Walton.

Having said that, I agree guard play is our biggest issue.

Last edited:
Having Walton around gives you 5 more fouls for the post players to work with at the very least. It also allows Siewart and Battey to venture out to the perimeter more on offense where they've showed they can hit the 3 ball(Siewart more than Battey obviously). Defensively he's the presence down low that we don't have right now. I love Battey's game, but he's not the rim protector that Walton can be just because of his height. Its just my opinion but we're missing Walton.

Having said that, I agree guard play is our biggest issue.

Spot on. Totally agree with all of that.

I guess there’s still time for one or two of the guards to emerge. Trying to be optimistic. But I just don’t see many flashes of potential or little bursts of output from that group of guards (excluding Kin of course) for much more than what we’re getting now, this year at least. Gatling can create a little bit but can’t finish at the rim and is just not as good a shooter as we thought. That seems clear.

Such a shame ... the league is so ****ing ripe this year. Bol Bol going down made it even more so.

Back