What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB GAME THREAD - CU vs. USC | March 9th @ 3pm | Pac 12 Net

2019_mbbt_bracket-graphic__1552194932.jpg

Speaking of spinning, Battey's low post "drop step to the inside and then spin to the outside and lay-in" move is damn impressive, as is his step-through ... pretty damn tantalizing to see a guy his size move that quickly and gracefully. Look forward to seeing those moves about 1000 more times in the next 3 years.

Speaking of spinning, Battey's low post "drop step to the inside and then spin to the outside and lay-in" move is damn impressive, as is his step-through ... pretty damn tantalizing to see a guy his size move that quickly and gracefully. Look forward to seeing those moves about 1000 more times in the next 3 years.
Battey is just now starting to learn how to be a post player at this level. The kid is going to be a star.

Battey is just now starting to learn how to be a post player at this level. The kid is going to be a star.
Piling on the Battey love. He is starting to own the low block, great post moves, and dominatating the offensive glass. Next year and into the future, he's going to start getting double teams. Which I can't wait for, because he may be the best passer on the team.

Piling on the Battey love. He is starting to own the low block, great post moves, and dominatating the offensive glass. Next year and into the future, he's going to start getting double teams. Which I can't wait for, because he may be the best passer on the team.
If Bey returns next year, watch out. CU is going to have the interior depth and talent to really cause some problems for teams in this conference

I love his scoring on the inside, but what really excites me with his offense is how high his court awareness is and the way his passing is developing. He's an absolute zone killer with what he can do from the high post.

And then there's the development of his defense. In the beginning of the season, he was absolutely lost in the team defense concepts and was the cause of a ton of breakdowns. Now he's got those rotations down and he is also turning into a heck of a man defender. He never gives his guy deep post position, which makes it so much more difficult for a big to score against us.

I love his scoring on the inside, but what really excites me with his offense is how high his court awareness is and the way his passing is developing. He's an absolute zone killer with what he can do from the high post.

And then there's the development of his defense. In the beginning of the season, he was absolutely lost in the team defense concepts and was the cause of a ton of breakdowns. Now he's got those rotations down and he is also turning into a heck of a man defender. He never gives his guy deep post position, which makes it so much more difficult for a big to score against us.
I love watching post players try to back battey down to gain the inside post position, realize they can't, and have a momentary freeze because they aren't sure what to do next.

Battey is incredible. Big, strong, smart. Great court vision. Soft hands. The ASU game he was unstoppable in the first half before he went down with back spasms.

I love watching post players try to back battey down to gain the inside post position, realize they can't, and have a momentary freeze because they aren't sure what to do next.
And I get so pissed when I see a post player try to bump him off his spot, fail, and then see the damn ref call a foul on Battey for the egregious act of refusing to get pushed from where he was standing. Some refs are really bad at officiating the post. Drive me crazy.

And I get so pissed when I see a post player try to bump him off his spot, fail, and then see the damn ref call a foul on Battey for the egregious act of refusing to get pushed from where he was standing. Some refs are really bad at officiating the post. Drive me crazy.
They don't get to see an OT playing the 5 in the Pac-12 very often. They don't know what to do.

Battey is by far turning into a star in front of our eyes for all the reasons above and one more. The kid has a passion and love for the game and his teammates that is unreal. Read his comments after the game and you cannot help but love him. He is growing into a leader on this team for sure and one this team has needed to take that step forward. My favorite on a team where there are a bunch to like (Kin, Bey, Gatling, Schwarz, Koontz,). Fun times for this program and the future is bright for this young team

With that high-low offense that Tad runs vs. the zone, once Battey gets confident with the short jumper from the free throw line, he will be literally unstoppable, with everything else he does. He's hit it a few of those this year, but is still a little hesitant even when wide open. I bet over the summer he adds that and comes back a complete monster.

He gets the comparisons to Barkley because of his size, but you can already see some of Chuck's skills and instincts and uncommon agility. I get the feeling he's just scratching the surface of how good he can be. And lucky us .... we get to watch it unfold!

and it certainly didn't help that UCLA suspended their best post player Moses Brown before the Utah game, for disciplinary reasons...

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-brown-20190309-story.html
The violation happened before the Bruins’ trip to play Colorado on Thursday and Utah but was not known by the coaching staff until after the game against the Buffaloes, according to an athletic department spokesman.

"but was not known"

Riiighht . ..

Battey’s pump fakes remind me of Issel, the king of the head fake. I often wonder why bigs don’t develop and use that skill more often.

Watching Battey reminds me of when Wes Unseld played for the Washington Bullets in the NBA. He was playing every night against guys taller than him and his game didn't involve a lot of jumping.

What he did though was dominate with his bulk and a surprising amount of quickness. Most guys who have significantly above average size, either height or weight, give up a lot in terms of quickness and mobility. We saw that yesterday with Bey working himself easily around the much taller USC guys. Battey has the body of an offensive lineman but we saw yesterday guys trying to drive on him and his feet were quick enough to get him into position with feet established to draw the charge. I'm sure that always in the past those guys had been able to draw the foul by the big guys who couldn't get there quick enough.

Next season he is going to present opponents with a big problem because Battey on the floor automatically means that opponents can't put their strongest interior player on Bey and assuming he is back it also means that they won't be able to try to push around Walton.

That was a fun and intense game to be at.
Does anybody know what happened during a small scuffle late in the game? I saw USC coaches scrambling to get Rakocevic to the sideline, but didn’t see what happened.

Back