What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB - Preseason Practices & Hype Thread

King is the only senior you could say is more talented than any of the newcomers, and that may even be disputed as the season goes on. In other words a complete 180 from last year. We should see a team with a lot more eagerness, but oh how terribly young they are.

I really think McKinley will be the best player on the team by March. I just hope everyone is patient.

I think even football fans will have some love for this basketball team. Due to the youth of the team, expectations are low. Plus, McKinley knows how to pass the rock, and I suspect, even in losses there are going to be some fun highlight type plays. Makes the team all the easier to like.

I think even football fans will have some love for this basketball team. Due to the youth of the team, expectations are low. Plus, McKinley knows how to pass the rock, and I suspect, even in losses there are going to be some fun highlight type plays. Makes the team all the easier to like.

Who will be the finishers after receiving the pass?
Like the way McKinley looks and good building piece.
Might make easier to continue to build as players will want to play on team with a guard like him

Might make easier to continue to build as players will want to play on team with a guard like him

King leads the team in scoring. Namon is probably next. Then McKinley. SI's projections think D'Shawn will lead our frosh in scoring (I want to say their guesstimate was 9 ppg).

Some of my takeaways from the open practice Sunday:
* This team will play with energy. GMFK was soaring for defensive rebounds in an October scrimmage, McKinley is non-stop, players were fired up
* McKinley will get a T or 3 this year. He ended scrimmage bleeding, and got pretty fired up a couple times.
* Namon can shoot. Hit a few 3s in the scrimmage, smooth stroke, looked comfortable
* However, he may have to improve for playing time. Tad made a comment about how they're asking him to work on some things (which I'll just assume are defense and rebounding)
* Dallas is moving pretty well. No braces on the knees, just sleeves. Won a wind-sprint at the end. Bounce looked ok, he got off the floor fast to dunk it (not that he needs to jump much)
* Battey is fun, and real raw. He nailed a 3, and knocked Bey on his ass down on the block
* As Rumblin noted behind me, Bey taking that charge will earn him some playing time. Another hard worker, and put himself in the right place
* We DO practice breaking a zone D
* The locker room is pretty dope
* I asked D'Shawn what the visitor rooms look like, he said he didn't know, but they've been threatened with it a couple times
* Also, D'Shawn was super friendly. And bigger than I realized

King leads the team in scoring. Namon is probably next. Then McKinley. SI's projections think D'Shawn will lead our frosh in scoring (I want to say their guesstimate was 9 ppg).

Early guess on what this team averages per game in relation to other teams
Offensively and Defensively.
The season just around the corner.
Hoping that Schwartz averages more than 9 as that means he has defense down.
If he is on the court, he will produce offensively.

Buffs have had good scoring from players connected to the Springs, hoping DS continues that pattern.

Some of my takeaways from the open practice Sunday:
* This team will play with energy. GMFK was soaring for defensive rebounds in an October scrimmage, McKinley is non-stop, players were fired up
* McKinley will get a T or 3 this year. He ended scrimmage bleeding, and got pretty fired up a couple times.
* Namon can shoot. Hit a few 3s in the scrimmage, smooth stroke, looked comfortable
* However, he may have to improve for playing time. Tad made a comment about how they're asking him to work on some things (which I'll just assume are defense and rebounding)
* Dallas is moving pretty well. No braces on the knees, just sleeves. Won a wind-sprint at the end. Bounce looked ok, he got off the floor fast to dunk it (not that he needs to jump much)
* Battey is fun, and real raw. He nailed a 3, and knocked Bey on his ass down on the block
* As Rumblin noted behind me, Bey taking that charge will earn him some playing time. Another hard worker, and put himself in the right place
* We DO practice breaking a zone D
* The locker room is pretty dope
* I asked D'Shawn what the visitor rooms look like, he said he didn't know, but they've been threatened with it a couple times
* Also, D'Shawn was super friendly. And bigger than I realized
anyone else get there?

With the way McKinley finds the open man, a lot of people will be able to finish. However, I would look at Bey as the guy that will provide some highlight finishes after great McKinley passes, guy has serious hops.

anyone else get there?
The event was a lot of fun ... some practice, about 20 min of scrimmage and a chance to meet the players in person and see locker room, etc. I came away with a more positive opinion of the team's prospects this year. Unlike last year, the personality of this team seems to be much more enthusiastic. This is without a doubt the best looking freshman class that I have seen in my 39 years of watching CU hoops.

Loved a comment that McKinley made when answering a question from the crowd about playing in the PAC 12. He said that CU was picked 9th but that they would be better than that for sure. I agree with him.

When asked what the team learned from the trip to Italy, George King took over the mike and made a comment that I thought showed a lot of wisdom and leadership. He said that what the most valuable thing that the team learned came in the last game, the one that they lost. The learned that a team that played good fundamental basketball and played like a "team" could beat a team that had better individual players ... something that the Buffs plan to do this season. I think that this speaks volumes in regard to King's leadership this year ... and the guys on the team seem to value and look up to him for it.

One more thing ... Tad said that season ticket holders are welcome to watch practices. Just call the office to get learn about timing of practices and get cleared to be there.

How did Tory and Dom look?
Tory is much leaner and looks to be in great shape. I think that he is probably quicker and maybe that will make him less foul prone. He mixes it up inside and seems to be taking on much more of a leadership role on the team this year. Dom seems like what you would expect of of Senior guard ... played the two in the scrimmage and was smooth, let the game come to him and shot well. He also made a nice steal in the game and passed well. I think that maybe he is better suited to the two than dealing with the pressure of running the team from the point ... but he is a year older and wiser now and I think that he can fill in there as needed to help the team. I thnk that both guys are better players than they were last year.

Besides McKinley, who else ran the point during the scrimmage?
Deleon Brown ran most of it for the other team (Gold) with the new kid from Serbia filling in a little. At times Dom spelled McKinley ... Namon Wright and Schwartz also handled the ball on the outside (although not bringing it up from the point) Both of those guys can handle and create. Both were looking to shoot ... but did so in the rhythm of the game. The young man from Serbia has a lot on his plate right now and was obviously thinking a lot in order to remember the scheme and fit in. It is way to early to tell how good he is at this point. Deleon looks much more settled and comfortable now that he is playing his second year.

Tory is much leaner and looks to be in great shape. I think that he is probably quicker and maybe that will make him less foul prone. He mixes it up inside and seems to be taking on much more of a leadership role on the team this year. Dom seems like what you would expect of of Senior guard ... played the two in the scrimmage and was smooth, let the game come to him and shot well. He also made a nice steal in the game and passed well. I think that maybe he is better suited to the two than dealing with the pressure of running the team from the point ... but he is a year older and wiser now and I think that he can fill in there as needed to help the team. I thnk that both guys are better players than they were last year.
Concur with all of that. Heard Tory talking a lot, gathering guys up after a play. He's taking leadership seriously

Deleon Brown ran most of it for the other team (Gold) with the new kid from Serbia filling in a little. At times Dom spelled McKinley ... Namon Wright and Schwartz also handled the ball on the outside (although not bringing it up from the point) Both of those guys can handle and create. Both were looking to shoot ... but did so in the rhythm of the game. The young man from Serbia has a lot on his plate right now and was obviously thinking a lot in order to remember the scheme and fit in. It is way to early to tell how good he is at this point. Deleon looks much more settled and comfortable now that he is playing his second year.

Ill agree there is a lot of reserving judgement, but one item that caught me off guard was when they were running sprints, he was the last to finish every time. How is a point guard the last to finish sprints? The other side of that is Dallas Walton was winning the sprints, so there is that too

Ill agree there is a lot of reserving judgement, but one item that caught me off guard was when they were running sprints, he was the last to finish every time. How is a point guard the last to finish sprints? The other side of that is Dallas Walton was winning the sprints, so there is that too
They probably don’t have the best training program in Serbia.

He was probably tired.

3 Pack Vlade thinks it might be a Serbian issue.

I think that having a young, talented team that needs so much coaching has been invigorating for Boyle. There were some veteran personalities the past few years that made coaching this team more frustrating than fun a lot of times.

Guys - read this one. Good piece over on 247s.

“I am the one that has probably made the (Bey to Roberson comparison) the most,” Boyle said. “Tyler has got length, athleticism, bounce, a nose for the ball, things you can't teach, you can't coach. But what he also has is some habits that need to be broken.”

Not having seen the team in practice it's always hard to get a sense of the team. Having said that, it seems that the key is McKinley Wright. He has to stay healthy and generally out of foul trouble for the team to be dynamic on the offensive end.

I went this morning and it went about like expected.

M. Wright is the PG we've needed since The Mayor went down. Good court vision. He can drive the paint and get a shot up or make the pass

Talent wise Bey is the best player on the team imo. There is a high ceiling there.

After seeing him play I don't feel like Schwartz should be redshirted. He can contribute.

Seeing Battey play makes me hate the NCAA even more.

N. Wright is a baller.

The seniors were solid, nothng spectacular but they all looked fit and ready to go.

Didn't love the offensive scheme, but there was some pick and roll, and players receiving the ball on the high post are looking for the back cut. Progress.

If today is any indication the Buffs will lose some games from the FT line. Very poor today, but its only a scrimmage.

Overall this should be a fun team the fan base can behind and support.

Popped in for the first half. Encouraging play, but I'm thinking we are gonna get worked inside

It gets a bit skewed because guards have the ball in their hands more frequently, but on the offensive end I thought McKinley Wright was the best player on the floor, hands down. If I didn't know better I wouldn't have guessed he was a freshmen. For the most part he played under control and makes smart decisions. For a six footer he isn't shy about getting to the basket. CU is very lucky to have gotten him to Boulder.

As for Tyler Bey, he's very athletic as we all suspected, but I found he basketball skills and IQ to need some refinement. He had a number of dunks when he caught the ball down low and certainly can get up fast.

Not sure how this season is going to go for the Buffs. It would help if Evan Battey were eligible this season.

Back