What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB - Preseason Practices & Hype Thread

It gets a bit skewed because guards have the ball in their hands more frequently, but on the offensive end I thought McKinley Wright was the best player on the floor, hands down. If I didn't know better I wouldn't have guessed he was a freshmen. For the most part he played under control and makes smart decisions. For a six footer he isn't shy about getting to the basket. CU is very lucky to have gotten him to Boulder.

As for Tyler Bey, he's very athletic as we all suspected, but I found he basketball skills and IQ to need some refinement. He had a number of dunks when he caught the ball down low and certainly can get up fast.

Not sure how this season is going to go for the Buffs. It would help if Evan Battey were eligible this season.

Don't disagree. M. Wright is definitely more D1 ready than Bey is right now. This will be a very good team wihen those 2 hit their stride.

I'm much more guarded in my optimism for CU hoops this year due to last season's underachieving team and Battey having to sit for the season.

Agreed - if we make the NIT with this year's team, I'll be happy. Glad to hear news reports from the practices though - thanks!

IMHO, tonight's Mines "exhibition" was consistent with most -- if not all -- of all your takes. Totally agree with you and what's been thrown out here. Esp. Bey's athleticism. Not sure how good of a "basketball player" he is yet (not saying he doesn't have chops; just looks a bit raw). But damn, that kid is an athletic freak. Can't wait to watch him!

Also feels to me like there's not going to be a ton of competition for minutes beyond the first 8... Is it just me, or does it seem like rotation for this group will be fairly straightforward and determined pretty quick?

IMHO, tonight's Mines "exhibition" was consistent with most -- if not all -- of all your takes. Totally agree with you and what's been thrown out here. Esp. Bey's athleticism. Not sure how good of a "basketball player" he is yet (not saying he doesn't have chops; just looks a bit raw). But damn, that kid is an athletic freak. Can't wait to watch him!

Also feels to me like there's not going to be a ton of competition for minutes beyond the first 8... Is it just me, or does it seem like rotation for this group will be fairly straightforward and determined pretty quick?
I think we might go beyond 8 simply because we may need a rotation of Tory/Dallas/Lucas to give us our best 40 minutes at the 5.

I think we might go beyond 8 simply because we may need a rotation of Tory/Dallas/Lucas to give us our best 40 minutes at the 5.
Good point. Esp foul trouble games likely to happen (Dallas being young and Tory being Tory, its gonna happen)... What's your take on Dallas's minutes this year? I realize tonight doesn't mean much of anything, but was expecting to see him get more tonight. Was probably my only (slight) disappointment.

Good point. Esp foul trouble games likely to happen (Dallas being young and Tory being Tory, its gonna happen)... What's your take on Dallas's minutes this year? I realize tonight doesn't mean much of anything, but was expecting to see him get more tonight. Was probably my only (slight) disappointment.

My impression is that he flashes some ability to disrupt shots and make shots, seems to be a pretty good passer for his position and age, plays hard, and has potential to be a very good player here. Right now, he also seems to have a lot to learn, seems out of position at times, can be off with his footwork and hands, doesn't anchor well yet on defense and is a work in progress. I expect he'll have some sequences this year when he flashes and makes a nice impact for the team and other sequences when he'll get schooled.

Side note, whomever does the color commentary with Mark Johnson needs some work. Talking over Mark was really obnoxious.

Side note, whomever does the color commentary with Mark Johnson needs some work. Talking over Mark was really obnoxious.
That was Ariana Freeman, I believe. It was her first time calling a game with Mark. Probably will be some growing pains there.

Bring back Guzonjic to replace number 10. Yikes.

Gonna be a long season. Bottom third of the conference.
I think you're focusing on a guy that won't play much this year anyways. Bey, Schwartz, King, possibly Siewert, could play where Strating was playing.

I think you're focusing on a guy that won't play much this year anyways. Bey, Schwartz, King, possibly Siewert, could play where Strating was playing.
Stratling impressed me with his hustle. Kid's a worker. I want to see him get in the weight room so he can be a banger for us in the future.

Nicolic looks fine. I was actually surprised with his fluidity and athleticism. He'll be just fine down the road. Good find by Tad (or whoever). Who did find this kid?

Stratling was the guy I referred to. He's a small thin banger. I guess I expected more. Your point is well taken though. The guy has the mental makeup to try and make a difference down low, he just now needs 20 - 25 lbs. more muscle, elbow and knee.

Could be Tad's worst team....new PG will be good. No go to scorers. Could be a very long season. Only three teams picked below Buffs...OSU, Utah and UW...

Anyone recapping the action from last night??

My general overview is:
The back-court looks adequate with the addition of the Wright Bros. to Dom and Deleon.

George plus newcomers Schwarz, Bey, and Nicolic are going to struggle to score in the P12 from the wing. To my eye Nicolic is more ready to step up than Schwarz or Bey.

Down low will be a major problem with this team. Both defensively and offensively. Miller, Walton, Siewert, and Stratling. Need someone to step up.

Look for us to go small most of the time. 3 guards with George at the 4 and 1 of the bigs at 5.

Could be Tad's worst team....new PG will be good. No go to scorers. Could be a very long season. Only three teams picked below Buffs...OSU, Utah and UW...

Washington State is beatable.
Utah with Coach k is always tough and tough place to play.
Stanford always picked high but manage to underachieve.
Give team and all the youth time to gain experience.
Building a foundation and will need support win or lose from Buff nation

No way both CU and Utah are finishing in the bottom 4. Coaching matters.

There are going to be growing pains. They'll lose a couple games they shouldn't lose. But they'll probably pick off a game or two they shouldn't win too.

They'll absolutely be more fun to watch than the 2014-2015 team, even if I envision a similar record.

They'll absolutely be more fun to watch than the 2014-2015 team, even if I envision a similar record.
Exactly - I was thinking basically this the other day. Different style/mentality with about the same results as last season's team.

Man, have to go with my gut and say that this team is going to finish 6th in the Pac. Reasons for this are:
  • I sense a weight lifted off Tad, compared to the last two years when it felt like the team was always underachieving and not playing hard
  • George King is saying all the right things, and seems to be backing it up with his actions. When push comes to shove however, he's a gamer and will play within himself to be at a consistent 15 ppg and 7 rpg while limiting turnovers
  • We have a true PG in McKinley Wright, who seems to be quite coachable and will slowly boost his A/TO ratio over the course of the season
  • Namon Wright will reveal himself to be a baller, and will step up his on-ball defense. I like the x-factor/level-headedness that him and Deleon bring
  • Between Tory, Lucas, Dallas, and Tyler, we need to get more of a roughness/edge down low, but if there's one thing I'm confident in, it's Tad coaching up team rebounding (also note that everyone but Tory is a 3pt threat who will stretch the floor)
  • Dom has absolutely no pressure on him, who knows what he'll do with that looseness
There are no divas or unchecked egos on this team. They're underdogs and seem to be in it together after the trip to Italy and Seals training. Looking for a rotation of Kin, Dom, Namon, George, Tory, Bey, Lucas, Dallas, and Deleon to grow together and surprise some folks.

More important that the rest of the team be receptive to Georges leadership.
Last years team finished 7th last year so 6th would be an improvement and set it on the course for the future

From what I saw on Monday, I like this team's makeup. Very unselfish on offense, almost to a fault at times, and they really pressure the ball on D. I like what both the Wright brothers can bring and Dom looks comfortable in his role for the first time in a while. Bey is a freak athletically and once he bulks up, watch out. I like what I saw from Walton and he moved better than I would have guessed. I really liked Namon attacking the basket in the second half.

Now, for the negatives that I saw. Interior D is going to be soft all year. Bey isn't big enough, Miller is not good 1 on 1, and Walton is figuring things out. Our offense got real stagnant when there wasn't one or two wing shooters because the defense just sagged hard. Bey and McKinley would be well served to hit their shot hard.

MWright is learning when to get others involved and when to pick his spots to start breaking ankles and letting the teardrops fall.

That's tough for a scoring PG to figure out. One of the best I've ever seen was Spencer. I'd be sitting there wondering why he wasn't taking over, then look up and realize he had a cool 7 or 8 points with a few minutes to go in the half, poised to force action and close things with a little run. Was special.

And I think that MWright can be that sort of player eventually.

Back