What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn stepping in it by allowing coaches to "fine"players?

2005: CU AD a dumpster fire
2013: Dumpster fire

Where's the progress?

I'll make you a deal. I will admit that Bohn is largely responsible for the demise of the football program if you will admit that he's also largely responsible for the new hoops facilities, the move to the PAC 12, and the resurgence of the basketball and volleyball programs at CU. is that a deal?

I'll make you a deal. I will admit that Bohn is largely responsible for the demise of the football program if you will admit that he's also largely responsible for the new hoops facilities, the move to the PAC 12, and the resurgence of the basketball and volleyball programs at CU. is that a deal?

Or even more simply

George>Bohn>Tharp

Bohn was the right guy at the right time for the CU AD. He was not the right guy to take us to the next level, though. That much is obvious. It's easy for people to forget the absolute dumpster fire this department was when he got here. He stabilized the department and set the table for RG to move it forward. I don't think he has the skills to do what RG did, but I don't think we ever get RG back in 2005.
Bohn was supposed to do some fundraising while he was here, too, and he couldn't move the needle at all. He had plans for new facilities in his office, which he was happy to boast about in the most booming voice possible, but he he could only raise a few million over the span of several years. We are seeing first hand right now how dramatic a difference that new facilities can make; you have to assume that 2010-2013 wouldn't have been so awful had we had new facilities back then. It probably all worked out in hindsight, because Bohn's vision for new facilities was weak and wouldn't hold a candle to our new facilities. Regardless, we didn't need a placeholder AD that alienated donors and kept shovels out of the dirt.

Bohn was supposed to do some fundraising while he was here, too, and he couldn't move the needle at all. He had plans for new facilities in his office, which he was happy to boast about in the most booming voice possible, but he he could only raise a few million over the span of several years. We are seeing first hand right now how dramatic a difference that new facilities can make; you have to assume that 2010-2013 wouldn't have been so awful had we had new facilities back then. It probably all worked out in hindsight, because Bohn's vision for new facilities was weak and wouldn't hold a candle to our new facilities. Regardless, we didn't need a placeholder AD that alienated donors and kept shovels out of the dirt.

You're not saying anything that anybody disagrees with. You're simply repeating things. He had his strengths and he had his weaknesses. Will you agree George>Bohn>Tharp? I owe Abs a beer (preferably not an IPA) for putting it so succinctly.

The success of AD's and coaches often comes down to a few key moments. Hawk was the guy every team wanted at the time and Bohn got him. If he had succeeded, Bohn would have likely done an okay job fundraising from then on at Colorado but unfortunately it did not work out. It could be similar to McIntyre this past season with all of the close losses. If they could have pulled them out then the trajectory looks different --> recruiting uptick --> better roster in the future --> success. Since he lost those games we will never know how that could have impacted his tenure.

Back