What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
2013 Colorado 4–8 overall, 1–8 conference 6th (South)
2014 Colorado 2–10 overall, 0–9 conference 6th (South)
2015 Colorado 4–9 overall, 1–8 conference 6th (South)

Beating CSU, Idaho State, Oregon State and maybe finally *UCLA (plus either WSU or Utah) would put MM in the gray area of more conference wins but still no bowl.

*Insert your favorite team to finally beat since there are so many to chose from.
Multiple conference wins for this team is hard to imagine right now because we've only seen it happen 5 times in the past 5 years. Getting the 4 (potentially 3) conference wins it will take to make a bowl isn't going to happen until it happens. Nobody will predict it, but on that day, we'll all be surprised, elated, relieved, etc.

I do not put much stock in individual recruiting stars but I do believe class ranking against our peers are meaningful. I expect us to be able to compete for football recruits against our conference peers and I don't see any reason that CU shouldn't be consistently in the Top 5 in recruiting in the conference. We use to beat out ASU, Oregon, UW and UCLA for recruits all of the time - USC was a little tougher.

I firmly believe that coaching involves 3 main components - having your team ready to play on game day, recruiting, and in game adjustments with first two being more important than the third (40-40-20 split). A really good coach has to be excellent a one of the first two and solid in the other. A great coach is excellent in both of the first two.

Having a good recruiting class does not justify keeping a coach that does not win.

Going back to the poll, other than a complete melt down (going winless in conference) Rick George is not going to fire MacIntyre. I believe the enthusiasm has left the main fan base and there is little pressure to make change. I don't like this approach but I really believe that is the AD's approach.

Solid post.

After thinking about it more, I think he stays...unless this season is a complete **** storm.

I'm thinking RG realizes Mac was hamstrung with Bohn not giving him the $ to increase his recruiting staff. Plus, I don't see RG potentially blowing up the best recruiting class we've had in a decade with a head coaching change. The only way I see him firing Mac is if he hires JMFL and he keeps most of the staff.

After thinking about it more, I think he stays...unless this season is a complete **** storm.

I'm thinking RG realizes Mac was hamstrung with Bohn not giving him the $ to increase his recruiting staff.

There are those that will come along and remind you that Mac was given the money to have a P5 staff and blew it. Bohn didnt hamstring him that way. But we were poor for 2 years having gotten no conference money when we transitioned.

Some have said Bohn made Mac bring his SJSU stuff as part of the deal. Others say thats mularky. Only the two of them know the details of those conversations.

I tend to think Mac thought his SJSU staff was just fine when it wasnt. It's noteworthy that he's never stayed anywhere in his career longer than 3 years and before SJSU he was in the NFL and away from the college game.

1990–1991 Georgia (GA)
1992 Davidson (DC)
1993–1996 Tennessee–Martin (DC)
1997–1998 Temple (DC)
1999–2000 Ole Miss (WR)
2001-2002 Ole Miss (DB)
2003–2006 Dallas Cowboys (DB)
2007 New York Jets (DB)
2008–2009 Duke (DC)
2010–2012 San Jose State
2013–present Colorado

Parcells was probable his most elite coaching boss. I dont know if any of his college stops had that high a profile guy above him. He might have benefited from 3-4 years under a Saban, Mac Brown, Tressel type. Where he might have picked up on the mistake he made about recruiters. Which he has anyways appears to have fixed. I sometimes wonder if Leavitt helped him see the light in that way and helped get the flood gates open. Maybe he was just too cozy with the SJSU guys.

Hence that I tend agree about your next part;

Plus, I don't see RG potentially blowing up the best recruiting class we've had in a decade with a head coaching change. The only way I see him firing Mac is if he hires JMFL and he keeps most of the staff.

It'll be interesting to see if RG pushes that button if and when. It's clearly the Easy button.

There are those that will come along and remind you that Mac was given the money to have a P5 staff and blew it. Bohn didnt hamstring him that way. But we were poor for 2 years having gotten no conference money when we transitioned.

Some have said Bohn made Mac bring his SJSU stuff as part of the deal. Others say thats mularky. Only the two of them know the details of those conversations.

I tend to think Mac thought his SJSU staff was just fine when it wasnt. It's noteworthy that he's never stayed anywhere in his career longer than 3 years and before SJSU he was in the NFL and away from the college game.

1990–1991 Georgia (GA)
1992 Davidson (DC)
1993–1996 Tennessee–Martin (DC)
1997–1998 Temple (DC)
1999–2000 Ole Miss (WR)
2001-2002 Ole Miss (DB)
2003–2006 Dallas Cowboys (DB)
2007 New York Jets (DB)
2008–2009 Duke (DC)
2010–2012 San Jose State
2013–present Colorado

Parcells was probable his most elite coaching boss. I dont know if any of his college stops had that high a profile guy above him. He might have benefited from 3-4 years under a Saban, Mac Brown, Tressel type. Where he might have picked up on the mistake he made about recruiters. Which he has anyways appears to have fixed. I sometimes wonder if Leavitt helped him see the light in that way and helped get the flood gates open. Maybe he was just too cozy with the SJSU guys.

Hence that I tend agree about your next part;

It'll be interesting to see if RG pushes that button if and when. It's clearly the Easy button.
I'm not sure what relevance his career history has in this conversation. As a college coach, if you aren't moving around every 3 or 4 years, you're either a Head Coach that is extremely successful and at your "dream job", or you aren't seeking a promotion.

I'm not sure what relevance his career history has in this conversation. As a college coach, if you aren't moving around every 3 or 4 years, you're either a Head Coach that is extremely successful and at your "dream job", or you aren't seeking a promotion.

I was kind of making the point that in addition to short stops his stops were also of lessor quality.

Bill McCartney spent 1974 to 1981 under Bo Schembechler and was likely better prepared for it. Urban Meyer spent 5 years at CSU under Lubick and then 4 years at Notre Dame under Bob Davie. McElwain (remains to see how good he will be) spent 4 years under Saban. MacIntyre can list Cutcliffe as his most successful college boss unless I am missing something.

I was kind of making the point that in addition to short stops his stops were also of lessor quality.

Bill McCartney spent 1974 to 1981 under Bo Schembechler and was likely better prepared for it. Urban Meyer spent 5 years at CSU under Lubick and then 4 years at Notre Dame under Bob Davie. McElwain (remains to see how good he will be) spent 4 years under Saban. MacIntyre can list Cutcliffe as his most successful college boss unless I am missing something.
I mean, David Cutcliffe had some decent success at Ole Miss and has been a pretty solid HC at Duke. Then consider he spent multiple years under Parcells in the NFL, and I think you're pretty far off base in saying his stops were of lessor quality.

Betcha there will be a lot of internal pressure/competition within the coaching staff this year even if we exceed expectations. You can already hear in every response MM gives to a question about 'how good the defense is going to be this year now that JL has a full year to install...' MM will say something like; 'well you got to remember that we have some pretty good players on D too, we brought those guys in when I got here cause the D was so bad...' I have counted a dozen times I've heard something like that. Probably a little truth to that, but...

There has been an extra dose of back patting as well. He was on the radio here in Southern California this week and he said, in total earnest, that his SJSU team would have beat the CU team he inherited by 55 points easy.

Guess it is to be expected. I like MM. Just hope it doesn't get out of control.

I'm thinking RG realizes Mac was hamstrung with Bohn not giving him the $ to increase his recruiting staff.

That is the narrative that MacIntyre has been hard selling to the media the past few weeks. No mentions of him bringing in better recruiters at the assistant coach level, which implies that it was never about the assistants and only about the budget...which of course takes all blame from MacIntyre and puts it all on CU. I have no doubt that George is intelligent enough figure out that both the budget and coaching hires were both part of a package of reasons that recruiting was negatively impacted.

Y

He was on the radio here in Southern California this week and he said, in total earnest, that his SJSU team would have beat the CU team he inherited by 55 points easy.

Yes, part of MacIntyre's use of the media to pre-argue why he needs to be kept at CU for another year, regardless of the outcome of this season. This is another leg on that stool, along with the recruiting was bad because CU was cheap narrative. I am not prosecuting MacIntyre for these preemptive actions, I get that he is on the hot seat and trying to preserve his $2.5M/year income. He would not be a human being if he wasn't behaving this way. But c'mon, lets call bull**** when we hear bull****, no way SJSU beats CU by 55. SJSU was worse than CU when MacIntyre took that job, he talked a lot in the media about how the SJSU program was burned to the ground when he got there. So if this season isn't up to expectations of the fans, or more importantly Rick George, he has built a foundation on which to argue his case for the 2017 season. If CU meets or exceeds expectations, then MacIntyre can crow about how his process works to rebuild bad programs. Quite smart of MacIntyre to do this, I admire his sales job as it has all upside and no downside.

I'm thinking RG realizes Mac was hamstrung with Bohn not giving him the $ to increase his recruiting staff. Plus, I don't see RG potentially blowing up the best recruiting class we've had in a decade with a head coaching change. The only way I see him firing Mac is if he hires JMFL and he keeps most of the staff.
Mac didn't have enough money for a proper recruiting staff?? Wrong.

This whole idea of a recruiting class blowing up is overstated IMO. We're either going to be good and Mac will (deservedly) be kept, or we'll be bad enough that we'll lose some recruits regardless if Mac is back or not.

A coaching change, when a team is underperforming, can help recruiting and it's not crazy to think our most productive assistants could survive a coaching change - Cabral and Hagan survived multiple coaching changes.

Bowl or bust.

Yes, part of MacIntyre's use of the media to pre-argue why he needs to be kept at CU for another year, regardless of the outcome of this season. This is another leg on that stool, along with the recruiting was bad because CU was cheap narrative. I am not prosecuting MacIntyre for these preemptive actions, I get that he is on the hot seat and trying to preserve his $2.5M/year income. He would not be a human being if he wasn't behaving this way. But c'mon, lets call bull**** when we hear bull****, no way SJSU beats CU by 55. SJSU was worse than CU when MacIntyre took that job, he talked a lot in the media about how the SJSU program was burned to the ground when he got there. So if this season isn't up to expectations of the fans, or more importantly Rick George, he has built a foundation on which to argue his case for the 2017 season. If CU meets or exceeds expectations, then MacIntyre can crow about how his process works to rebuild bad programs. Quite smart of MacIntyre to do this, I admire his sales job as it has all upside and no downside.
He said the SJSU team that went 10-2 and ended as a top 25 team would have beat his first year CU team by 50 points. And I'm not quite sure how you can argue otherwise...

I'm just repeating what he said. He had money for assistants but he said there wasn't the $ to build his recruiting team.
So are we giving too much credit to Chev, Tumpkin, Leavitt, and Adams for our recruiting improvement then? I don't buy it, and it totally absolves Mac of any mistakes made with his initial staff. Hiring the right assistants is 90% of the battle IMO.

Hiring the right assistants is 90% of the battle IMO.
So, if we believe he has remedied his initial poor hires and now has the right assistants, should he be given the time with the recruiting and coaching of these said assistants to turn it around, or do you have to can him if results aren't shown immediately, even though he might be on the track?

So are we giving too much credit to Chev, Tumpkin, Leavitt, and Adams for our recruiting improvement then? I don't buy it, and it totally absolves Mac of any mistakes made with his initial staff. Hiring the right assistants is 90% of the battle IMO.
Yep. Lame comments by MM. Increased budget or not... we don't land these Texas guys without Chev. And then likely some of the other guys too

So, if we believe he has remedied his initial poor hires and now has the right assistants, should he be given the time to with the recruiting and coaching of these said assistants to turn it around, or do you have to can him if results aren't shown immediately, even though he might be on the track?
Answering this question is why RG gets paid the big bucks.....

Can you please provide a link to the article that quotes him on this. TIA

A quote. Mac takes a lot of credit and takes no blame for anything.

"A lot of things have happened over the last 18 months that have made a big difference," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said at the recent Pac-12 Media Days. "In an area that we had just one guy when I got here, now we have six. It's helping in organization, planning, evaluation and in building relationships. You saw some of that help us in the end of the process last year (the most recent recruiting class) but now it's really coming to fruition. We're far ahead and it's been tremendous."

Indeed, MacIntyre and his staff have already corralled numerous commitments for the 2017 class, far ahead of any time in recent memory.

"It takes time to get the system in place," MacIntyre said. "We wanted it when I first got here, but to be honest, we didn't have the budget. (CU Athletic Director) Rick George was able to help us get it in place and now you're seeing the results. It helps our assistant coaches because we can identify and evaluate guys quicker. Then, through social media, we can communicate with them earlier and develop and build relationships."

The Link

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/7/22/buffs-football-recruiting-definitely-on-therise16.aspx

Last edited:
Yep. Lame comments by MM. Increased budget or not... we don't land these Texas guys without Chev. And then likely some of the other guys too

He is a dancer with the best of them.

When HWSRN showed up. It was wonderful. Then his true colors came out. FLIM FLAM Man Extraordinaire.

Hoping Mac2 is not FFM#2. Kinda hard to tell.

A quote. Mac takes a lot of credit and takes not blame for anything.

"A lot of things have happened over the last 18 months that have made a big difference," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said at the recent Pac-12 Media Days. "In an area that we had just one guy when I got here, now we have six. It's helping in organization, planning, evaluation and in building relationships. You saw some of that help us in the end of the process last year (the most recent recruiting class) but now it's really coming to fruition. We're far ahead and it's been tremendous."

Indeed, MacIntyre and his staff have already corralled numerous commitments for the 2017 class, far ahead of any time in recent memory.

"It takes time to get the system in place," MacIntyre said. "We wanted it when I first got here, but to be honest, we didn't have the budget. (CU Athletic Director) Rick George was able to help us get it in place and now you're seeing the results. It helps our assistant coaches because we can identify and evaluate guys quicker. Then, through social media, we can communicate with them earlier and develop and build relationships."

The Link

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/7/22/buffs-football-recruiting-definitely-on-therise16.aspx
These comments are referring to not having the budget for the entire scouting department that is now being utilized and dispersed around the recruiting footprint (much like an NFL scouting department is utilized and what most big time college programs have). The prior comments in this thread, I believe, were claiming that MM had complained about not having the budget for the right assistant coaches when he got here, which is just false.

I acknowledge that it is a fine line for HCMM to walk. He doesn't want to throw former assistants under the bus and certainly doesn't want to tell the players on the roster that they were lesser talent than is needed to win in the Pac-12. But in that same breath of talking about improvements that started when he came in, he could sure as hell give credit where it is due. Leavitt & Tumpkin certainly opened up FL & GA recruiting. Chiaverini certainly took us to another level in Texas and brought some great ideas as the recruiting coordinator. I agree that there were things that we don't know about and people who deserve credit that were getting shorted as the public focuses on the new guys, but there needs to be a balance. Comes across as HCMM serving his own ego while building in excuses if people start calling for his head if his team has another unacceptable season.

Win and all this goes away. Everybody's happy. More than enough credit to go around. Lose and I couldn't give a **** about excuses or underlying difficulties & improvements.

I acknowledge that it is a fine line for HCMM to walk. He doesn't want to throw former assistants under the bus and certainly doesn't want to tell the players on the roster that they were lesser talent than is needed to win in the Pac-12. But in that same breath of talking about improvements that started when he came in, he could sure as hell give credit where it is due. Leavitt & Tumpkin certainly opened up FL & GA recruiting. Chiaverini certainly took us to another level in Texas and brought some great ideas as the recruiting coordinator. I agree that there were things that we don't know about and people who deserve credit that were getting shorted as the public focuses on the new guys, but there needs to be a balance. Comes across as HCMM serving his own ego while building in excuses if people start calling for his head if his team has another unacceptable season.

Win and all this goes away. Everybody's happy. More than enough credit to go around. Lose and I couldn't give a **** about excuses or underlying difficulties & improvements.
Yep. Especially since he was asked specifically about Chev by Adam and said "well this is all due to the decisions made 18 months ago."

Lame lame lame

So, if we believe he has remedied his initial poor hires and now has the right assistants, should he be given the time to with the recruiting and coaching of these said assistants to turn it around, or do you have to can him if results aren't shown immediately, even though he might be on the track?
I should clarify, that hiring the right assistants is key to recruiting success, but at some point you have to prove you can coach and develop players at this level and in year 4 the jury is definitely still out.

I understand your point and it's valid, but I also know that at some point results (winning) needs to matter, and a bowl game is a pretty modest definition of success.

I want Mac to dispel the notion that he can only be successful (make a bowl) in the most ideal circumstances (finally having decent staff, brand new facilities, favorable schedule, new systems fully installed, upper-classmen heavy team, few injuries, etc.).

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm buying it either. There is probably some truth to Bohn's penny-pinching, but Mac probably lays too much "blame" there; it sounds a bit like he's laying the groundwork in the media to cover his butt if he gets fired. However, I give Mac credit for the uptick in recruiting because of his hires after he got here, he did work with RG to beef up the staffing and the stipulation in his contract about a facility upgrade.

How? According to your theory, he's taking every bit of credit for the recruiting turnaround so far, so how does that build in an excuse if the team has another unacceptable season?

Back