What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Riley to Nebraska

I'm not sure the floor is much higher. Definitely a higher ceiling. We just went 0-9 in the conference. That's as low a floor as it gets.
Yes, and that is more or less our all time low. OSU basically did that more often than not for 30 + Years.

Orgeron would be a slam dunk assistant and would make this hire 100x better. Probably not a whole lot in the ways of X's and O's but he's a great recruiter and good at firing up his team.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/29/college-football-coach-ed-orgeron/16445989/

And then, Orgeron launches into the story of how he caught his first big break, way back in 1986, with a phone call that came while he was "shoveling shrimp" back home in Louisiana. Did he want to become an assistant strength coach at Arkansas?

"I threw that shrimp shovel into the bayou," he says, "and then I asked, 'Where's Arkansas?' "

From footballscoop just now... this could really shake some **** up, but it sounds like their sources are calling it unsubstantiated speculation by CBSS.

Nebraska: A report from CBS Sports today noted that Ed Orgeron could be joining Mike Riley’s staff. Per source, there has been no contact between Mike Riley and Ed at this time.

This could be an interesting combination.

Ed might have problems recruiting though under Nebraskas traditionally high academic standards for football players. He might have trouble finding guys who can clear admissions at the Harvard of the corn belt.

i think riley is a great coach. i think he'll recruit very well in fusker-land. i think he is a big upgrade over the angry guy and he'll win there.

i hope we crush them by 50 when we play. i am disappointed that they hired a coach i like.

i think riley is a great coach. i think he'll recruit very well in fusker-land. i think he is a big upgrade over the angry guy and he'll win there.

i hope we crush them by 50 when we play. i am disappointed that they hired a coach i like.

The thing that strikes me about this hire is how divided people are, the westcoast folks like you and I hold Riley in pretty high regard, everyone else not so much. Its like people dont realize how bad OSU was before Riley and then Ericson and dont realize Ericson did what he did with 2 years of Riley's recruits.

I'm not sure the floor is much higher. Definitely a higher ceiling. We just went 0-9 in the conference. That's as low a floor as it gets.

I invite you to review the Buffs' 2012 season. I'd say that 1-8 season was much lower than this years 0-9.

Typed with thumbs.

I like Riley and think he's a pretty good coach. I don't think he's a good hire for Nebraska. He's not going to get Cali kids to go there, so he's going to have to cover new recruiting grounds, which is what I think is going to be Nebraska's bugaboo for a long time in the Big Ten. Then you also have the fact that his offense is not going to be well-received in Lincoln, where they still think the wishbone is a viable vehicle to carry you to national titles.

I don't think NU is going to be the program they are accustomed to being - ever. Riley's a very good coach, but so is Anderson, and Wisconsin's program is better than Nebraska's. It just is. Then you have Minnesota, who pretty much passed up NU this year. Riley is one of the most underrated coaches in America, but Jerry Kill might be the most underrated coach in America. Riley can do a great job in Lincoln and still end up the 3rd best program in that division.

And don't get me started on the Big Ten East, with tOSU and Michigan State, plus sleeping giants Michigan and Pedo State.

Solid hire. Might end up with a worse record overall than Pelini, but think they have at least one great season under him.

Got to believe he didn't like some grumblings in Corvalis and decided to look elsewhere. Worse case, he gets a huge payday and retires.
Best case, he gets the Huskers to the top of their division and can say told you so, with a huge paycheck.
I married into an OSU family...they are really happy. They had all been discussing why they had signed "Mediocre Mike" to such a long term deal, and now all of a sudden they are out of the long-term contract.

Beaver fans have been less-than-satisfied for some time...

I married into an OSU family...they are really happy. They had all been discussing why they had signed "Mediocre Mike" to such a long term deal, and now all of a sudden they are out of the long-term contract.

Beaver fans have been less-than-satisfied for some time...

It takes a special man to satisfy these Beavers. They need a man who will pound it and launch it, brotha.

I went over to one of the corn boards and they are stunned. Think it's a horrible hire and the AD should be fired. ****ing idots.

First, I won't tell anyone you were on the corn boards. Stuff like that can hurt you around here.
Second, it is true many Husker fans responded with a knee jerk reaction. They are beginning to come around.

I think it is a great hire for Nebraska. It will be fun to see what he has in about 2 years when the Buffs come to town.

First, I won't tell anyone you were on the corn boards. Stuff like that can hurt you around here.
Second, it is true many Husker fans responded with a knee jerk reaction. They are beginning to come around.

I think it is a great hire for Nebraska. It will be fun to see what he has in about 2 years when the Buffs come to town.

He'll have Ralphie's hoof up his ass as Colorado pounds the fuskers.

Got to believe he didn't like some grumblings in Corvalis and decided to look elsewhere. Best case, he sucks, gets the cornholers the death penalty, flips them all the bird, gets a huge payday and retires.
Worst case, he gets the Huskers to the top of their division and can say told you so, with a huge paycheck.
fify

They outdid the Bielema-Arkansas hire for shock value. Did not see this coming but in a year of big jobs opening but few candidates wanting to pull the trigger on relocating, they took a proven head coach at multiple levels. Riley should do more with the resources he's afforded but I don't know if he'll get them over the big game hump. It's certainly a division for the taking in the new look Big Ten West. The bigger issue I see is Riley being an NFL guy. His assistants including his most recent OC include NFL guys. He needs to recruit. Different region, different systems, different strengths.

Not even close. My sources indicate Riley was the man some time ago before Pelini was publicly canned. Looks like they even moved up the announcement date to squash such rumors.

Saw a rumor that Riley would've been the guy last year too if Pellini was canned.

I was going to say the same thing, but point to the fact we hired a career position coach as our HC. Doesn't get much lower than that.

When I first saw the story I thought they had hired Mike Gundy and my reaction was, damn! When I realized it was actually Mike Riley my reaction was, damn (in a bad way).

I think Riley's a good coach at a place like OSU where he can play the underdog role. Not sure that works out as well at NU.

Some in Fuskerland have already drank the Koolaid. The talking heads on talk radio in Omaha were already pining for Riley to bring Scott Frost in as his OC and then win "several" national championships before handing the reins off to Frost, who will continue to win forever. As high as the taxes are in this state, you would think that they would spend some tax dollars on mental health resources.

Being impartial on this, I can tell you that Riley/MacIntyre is a very good coach. His game plans and player development are tremendous. He is also very adaptable to personnel in order to put what talent he has in the best possible situation for his teams to win. This year, they didn't have the speed to match up in the Pac-12 and didn't have a playmaker to erase the issues (while in 2013 they had Cooks/Richardson).

That said, I don't think he's going to be any better than Pelini/Hawkins and will probably be worse. Worst thing about this hire for NU/CU is that it doesn't do a lot for recruiting. Riley's/MacIntyre's got some relationships on the west coast, in Polynesia, at the western JUCOs and in Texas, but he's not a rock star recruiter. I think Nebraska/Colorado needed to do more with an instant pipeline type guy since the B1G/PAC has so isolated the program from the recruiting grounds you need to ever be elite again. Might have been better to take a flyer on an Orgeron type guy. Or even Lane Kiffin. Results may have slipped a bit in the short term, but it would re-set the table for what you guys are trying to recapture.

I see the Riley/MacIntyre hire as kind of short-sighted. Safe hire of a guy who is easy to get along with, supremely competent, and does nothing to move the performance needle from where it has been.

Did you write this about MacIntyre instead of Riley?

Back