What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Riley to Nebraska

Did you write this about MacIntyre instead of Riley?

They're definitely similar coaches. I would have loved Riley here. I think that's the kind of guy CU needs for this stage of the reclamation project.

They're definitely similar coaches. I would have loved Riley here. I think that's the kind of guy CU needs for this stage of the reclamation project.

If someone's comparing HCMM to Riley, we must have a heck of a coach.

If someone's comparing HCMM to Riley, we must have a heck of a coach.

Riley is a good coach, and I see why he's leaving OSU, but this move makes no sense for Nebraska unless they wanted the furthest thing from the Angry Muppet they could find or got turned down by the guy they really wanted. I don't see him doing much better than the Angry Muppet.

From what I've seen, it's at least 60/40 Beav fans thinking Riley moving on is a good thing. Unreal how a program with 30 straight losing seasons not so long ago could not realize what OSU's ceiling is and that Riley hit it.

From what I've seen, it's at least 60/40 Beav fans thinking Riley moving on is a good thing. Unreal how a program with 30 straight losing seasons not so long ago could not realize what OSU's ceiling is and that Riley hit it.

That is a surprise. Thought he was pretty well thought of. It's a jungle out there I tell ya.

Yeah. I get the strong sense that a lot of folks in Oregon are celebrating right now. They are measuring themselves against the Ducks and may very well find themselves, without Riley, measuring themselves against the Cougs.

I believe that "be careful what you wish for" applies.

Yep, they are just happy that another team did what their Admin would not do. May be a disaster beyond what they thought was already low level play (and they do compare themselves to the Ducks). The Beavs next hire will tell much about how committed they are and whether they are in it to win or not. They may not have much of a choice either because it is going to be hard to attract a top tier assistant or a successful mid major coach that wants to move up. Better spot though than Ft Fun. At least it is P5

Last edited:
That is a surprise. Thought he was pretty well thought of. It's a jungle out there I tell ya.

It may be a case of a vocal minority/some bitterness over a 2-7 Pac season. However, I think the biggest issue of all is probably Oregon being the in-state rival. It has caused Riley doing so much with so little to not seem good enough to many of them. I'm far removed from OR, I was just gauging them over message boards/other commentary sections. Lot of "It was time for Riley to move on" "Riley could never get us to the next level" sentiment being tossed about.

Mike Riley can win against Top 25 programs. Pelini couldn't. I suspect that Riley will have NU inside the Top 20 within 3 years.

I'm confused by all those suggesting that OSU fans were crazy for wanting change. Its not like they were killing it these last few years. Missed bowls 3 of the last 5 years. Lost to Sac St and Eastern Washington in 2011/13. 2-14 in conference last two years. Haven't beat oregon since 2007. Riley almost never makes changes in the staff despite recurrent problems/deficiencies. Consistently ranked near the bottom of the pac-12 in recruiting.

I think most Beaver fans understand that OSU will never be a national powerhouse. But I don't think that means they should accept the above, year after year.

Not only that, but OSU was forced to keep Riley because of his contract. The buyout was $14 Million. Lifetime contract. Expired in 2021...and got extended by 1 year for every year he made a bowl game going forward. That irked a lot of people, especially since Riley has looked a bit despondent the past couple years. There was little incentive.

Riley has a very good football mind, and even better character. But I also believe a change in scenery was necessary for both parties.

Mike Riley can win against Top 25 programs. Pelini couldn't. I suspect that Riley will have NU inside the Top 20 within 3 years.

Are you sure? Riley was 10-42 against top 25 teams during his time at OSU. Pelini 9-17. Sure Pelini had more talent, so maybe you could argue that Riley may have had a better record in his shoes...and thats what we're about to find out.

I went over to one of the corn boards and they are stunned. Think it's a horrible hire and the AD should be fired. ****ing idots.

Yeah, not any better today. In fact they are all getting worse and turning into grumpy cat. This is not sitting well with them at all.

Riley's first order of business will be to educate his players on the dangers of trying to take selfies with rabid raccoons...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...trying-to-take-picture-with-it-143943654.html

Dumbass. Proceeds to kill the raccoon after it bites him trying protect itself.

Seriously! **** that guy. The raccoon was alive and fine moments before he needed his selfie picture taken. If this was a dog the guy would be finished and possibly in jail.

Plus doesn't the some of my best friends are coons seem a little racial? I guess these are the same people who think chanting RED POWER is okay.

what a selfish idiot. I hope he does get rabies. Dumbass couldn't just get back in his truck and drive off? lesson learned, had to kill the poor ****.

Seriously! **** that guy. The raccoon was alive and fine moments before he needed his selfie picture taken. If this was a dog the guy would be finished and possibly in jail.

Plus doesn't the some of my best friends are coons seem a little racial? I guess these are the same people who think chanting RED POWER is okay.

Right? If that was a Buff, he'd be having to issue a public apology today.

Late to the party, but four thoughts
1. No HC that coached a team in the Pac 10 is now the HC of that school in the Pac 12.
2. nubs fired Pelini for not winning a conference title in 8 years. They hired a guy who hasn't won a conference title in 14 'Grover Cleveland' seasons at OSU (psst... he won double digit games once... when they had a 13 game regular season)
3. I get the impression that Riley loves coaching, but I also thought that he'd be at OSU forever. This could have been his last chance a big payday at his age. Maybe this is his retirement job?
4. OSU fans were hoping to can Riley. As someone said, be careful what you wish for. On Riley’s part, this may be a move like Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee (although not nearly as cold-blooded).

Late to the party, but four thoughts
1. No HC that coached a team in the Pac 10 is now the HC of that school in the Pac 12.
2. nubs fired Pelini for not winning a conference title in 8 years. They hired a guy who hasn't won a conference title in 14 'Grover Cleveland' seasons at OSU (psst... he won double digit games once... when they had a 13 game regular season)
3. I get the impression that Riley loves coaching, but I also thought that he'd be at OSU forever. This could have been his last chance a big payday at his age. Maybe this is his retirement job?
4. OSU fans were hoping to can Riley. As someone said, be careful what you wish for. On Riley’s part, this may be a move like Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee (although not nearly as cold-blooded).

Sark?

From footballscoop just now... this could really shake some **** up, but it sounds like their sources are calling it unsubstantiated speculation by CBSS.

Nebraska: A report from CBS Sports today noted that Ed Orgeron could be joining Mike Riley’s staff. Per source, there has been no contact between Mike Riley and Ed at this time.

B4G1ktuIMAEDrOC.jpg

N137SG
SANFORD GROUP LLC · PAPILLION NE (registration)

Departure:
Dekalb-Peachtree (KPDK – info)
Atlanta, GA
06:14PM EST

Arrival:
Eppley Airfield (KOMA – info)
Omaha, NE
08:55PM CST

Duration: 3 hours 41 minutes
Wednesday, December 3, 2014

:popcorn:

B4G1ktuIMAEDrOC.jpg

N137SG

Departure:
Atlanta, GA

Arrival:
Omaha, NE

Hmmm....

Another report today had Orgeron interested in the HC job at UNLV.

B4G1ktuIMAEDrOC.jpg

N137SG

Departure:
Atlanta, GA

Arrival:
Omaha, NE

Am I the only one that thinks people look less intelligent as soon as they don the husker gear?

I am pretty sure those Orgeron pics are from last spring.....there has been a rumored Big Ed sighting, but those pics are not it. FWIW.

Nebraska raiding SoCal is going to be annoying

Not really. He is going to have a very hard sell getting West coast players to come to a hole like Lincoln and the B1G. He won't be able to guarantee at least one game on the west coast each year. I guess he could sell playing November games in places like Iowa City, Lincoln, Minneapolis, Ann Arbor, Columbus and Madison. Which sounds fun.

Back