What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez getting the love from Athlon

Also worth noting Luke Falk will figure into the draft talk after this season as well. He is getting lost in the shuffle some.

There should be a big difference between the hits Montez takes running the read option and Sefo running power between the tackles. One of the biggest factors in the offense will be Montez running on passing plays instead of forcing things though.

Montez is talented but talking about him entering the draft after this season is jumping the gun just a little. Lets let him get 5-6 starts under his belt before declaring him ready for the NFL. I'd expect him to be here for at least the next two seasons. If he establishes himself as a pro prospect this year then next year would be about moving up into the earlier part of the draft.

Darnold may very well be the prototypical USC system quarterback. He has a lot of talent around him that make him look pretty good.

With Montez, don't want to see the zone read much. Don't want to see the QB draw at all with him. Please please please let him use his quickness instead to scramble in the backfield and create plays. We saw Montez do that many times last year and defenses broke down. Montez has the quickness and he has the inventiveness. Sefo's idea of scrambling was to fight off a gang tackle.

With Montez, don't want to see the zone read much. Don't want to see the QB draw at all with him. Please please please let him use his quickness instead to scramble in the backfield and create plays. We saw Montez do that many times last year and defenses broke down. Montez has the quickness and he has the inventiveness. Sefo's idea of scrambling was to fight off a gang tackle.
Montez running the zone read opens up the run game a ton which is vital for this offense to improve.

or, you can see that he converted multiple broken / dead 3rd down plays into 1st downs or touchdowns. that's all him, and just in our game
He also turned the ball over something like four times against us.

He's good, but I'd be a little cautious if I was an NFL GM.

He also turned the ball over something like four times against us.

He's good, but I'd be a little cautious if I was an NFL GM.
2 Fumbles and 1 INT against the 2nd best Pac 12 defense, in his 3rd start ever. Finished the season with 31 TDs and 9 INTs, beat Washington on the road and won the Rose Bowl while throwing for 5 TDs.

I don't mind Montez running but I'd limit it. He's a big target to hit. Making a running play out of a pass play that didn't work, I'm cool with.

Montez running the zone read opens up the run game a ton which is vital for this offense to improve.
I have no doubt it works...while you have a healthy QB.

We ask our QB's to do so much passing wise with our scheme, especially with new air raid elements. I just think it is hard to be accurate when you are giving your quarterback extra shots.

I really hope improved Oline and linebackers in coverage will open up the running game.

2 Fumbles and 1 INT against the 2nd best Pac 12 defense, in his 3rd start ever. Finished the season with 31 TDs and 9 INTs, beat Washington on the road and won the Rose Bowl while throwing for 5 TDs.

Darnold is viscous when the play breaks down. He can out-scramble pass-rushers and then invent...but sometimes he got too creative. I would take those INTs though.

Why couldn't Montez be almost the same type of guy?

Darnold may be the real deal but a lot of people including NFL GMs thought that Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Matt Leinart were the real deal as well.

When looking at USC QBs you have to recognize that they usually have some very talented players around them making plays. How well do they translate into a league where their teammates aren't more talented than most of the guys they are playing against.

Darnold may be the real deal but a lot of people including NFL GMs thought that Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, and Matt Leinart were the real deal as well.

When looking at USC QBs you have to recognize that they usually have some very talented players around them making plays. How well do they translate into a league where their teammates aren't more talented than most of the guys they are playing against.
Exactly.

I still have concerns with Montez so I hope it is an open competition, because I think Montez will respond to real competition. Yes, some of you have mentioned the mechanics and throwing off his back foot, which can be corrected. The bigger concern I have with Montez is the willingness and ability to get int eh grind and study every week. He commented in the media about being surprised by the amount of work required last year....and it was obvious that when he played as a back up he wasn't nearly as prepared as when he expected to start. To me this means he wasn't putting in the time. Being able to do that week in and week out is what will either make or break Montez as I believe he has the physical talent to succeed.

I still have concerns with Montez so I hope it is an open competition, because I think Montez will respond to real competition. Yes, some of you have mentioned the mechanics and throwing off his back foot, which can be corrected. The bigger concern I have with Montez is the willingness and ability to get int eh grind and study every week. He commented in the media about being surprised by the amount of work required last year....and it was obvious that when he played as a back up he wasn't nearly as prepared as when he expected to start. To me this means he wasn't putting in the time. Being able to do that week in and week out is what will either make or break Montez as I believe he has the physical talent to succeed.

The way I look at it with Montez: he set a CU record for a single game performance, on the road, in his first start... at a time when he has said he was fat and didn't appreciate the importance of film study. Now in the best shape of his life, having taken on the mantle and swagger of being a leader, and being dialed in on prep, that dude could be unreal this season.

That was his second start in college football right?
Yeah. So what?

Look. I'm not bagging on the guy. Christ, people around here get their panties in a bunch. I'm just pointing out that his success might be somewhat attributed to the incredible talent he has around him. USC has put a lot of mediocre quarterbacks into the NFL in recent years, a few of whom won Heisman Trophies. They all looked like world beaters when they were at USC, but entirely average once they left. I'm merely pointing out that may once again be the case with Darnold.

And none of that refutes my point even in the least. But thanks for playing.

Yeah. So what?

Look. I'm not bagging on the guy. Christ, people around here get their panties in a bunch. I'm just pointing out that his success might be somewhat attributed to the incredible talent he has around him. USC has put a lot of mediocre quarterbacks into the NFL in recent years, a few of whom won Heisman Trophies. They all looked like world beaters when they were at USC, but entirely average once they left. I'm merely pointing out that may once again be the case with Darnold.
Why do you hate Darnold so much?! :D

Back