What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez getting the love from Athlon

Yeah. So what?

Look. I'm not bagging on the guy. Christ, people around here get their panties in a bunch. I'm just pointing out that his success might be somewhat attributed to the incredible talent he has around him. USC has put a lot of mediocre quarterbacks into the NFL in recent years, a few of whom won Heisman Trophies. They all looked like world beaters when they were at USC, but entirely average once they left. I'm merely pointing out that may once again be the case with Darnold.
I think you're the only one getting your panties in a bunch, per usual, but thanks for playing.

Yeah. So what?

Look. I'm not bagging on the guy. Christ, people around here get their panties in a bunch. I'm just pointing out that his success might be somewhat attributed to the incredible talent he has around him. USC has put a lot of mediocre quarterbacks into the NFL in recent years, a few of whom won Heisman Trophies. They all looked like world beaters when they were at USC, but entirely average once they left. I'm merely pointing out that may once again be the case with Darnold.
All that talent looked pretty awful before he came onto the field. I just think it's a lot different this time, old USC qbs were pocket passers who just got the ball to their playmakers while darnold is the one doing the crazy things, putting the ball where no one else can. This is also a different coaching staff that brought him on.

All that talent looked pretty awful before he came onto the field. I just think it's a lot different this time, old USC qbs were pocket passers who just got the ball to their playmakers while darnold is the one doing the crazy things, putting the ball where no one else can. This is also a different coaching staff that brought him on.
Don't bother Sackman with details his mind can't comprehend

Stuart Whitehair just did an interview with Lance Carl in which Carl was quoted: "On offense, we're so much further ahead than where we were last spring." One of the things I love about Carl is that he does not seem to pull any punches. I don't think he says that about the offense if they don't know who their QB is going to be this year. It's got to be Montez.

I agree with Nik that Montez can be very special. I'm just excited to see something new after four years of an incumbent QB. (No offense to Sefo.). Montez might frustrate us all with unnecessary picks from time to time, but if nothing else, he should be very entertaining to watch. When was the last time we had a "gunslinger" type QB in the black & gold? John Hessler, maybe? This is going to be fun.

I like Montez, and I'm ready to love Montez, but the all-conference and NFL talk is wildly premature. In addition to needing to fix his mechanics, he needs to get better at pre-snap diagnosis and he needs to speed up his progressions. Yeah, he torched Oregon and Oregon St., but IMO he really struggled against the better defenses he appeared against. We need to hope that Lindgren can actually develop a QB beyond where he got Sefo.

Stuart Whitehair just did an interview with Lance Carl in which Carl was quoted: "On offense, we're so much further ahead than where we were last spring." One of the things I love about Carl is that he does not seem to pull any punches. I don't think he says that about the offense if they don't know who their QB is going to be this year. It's got to be Montez.

I agree with Nik that Montez can be very special. I'm just excited to see something new after four years of an incumbent QB. (No offense to Sefo.). Montez might frustrate us all with unnecessary picks from time to time, but if nothing else, he should be very entertaining to watch. When was the last time we had a "gunslinger" type QB in the black & gold? John Hessler, maybe? This is going to be fun.
This makes me happy. Then I remember Sefo sat out last spring and our QB's were Montez in his RS Freshman year seeing his first spring ball and Gehrke. I still like hearing it, but our offense should be much farther ahead - I would be frightened if it were not.

I like Montez, and I'm ready to love Montez, but the all-conference and NFL talk is wildly premature. In addition to needing to fix his mechanics, he needs to get better at pre-snap diagnosis and he needs to speed up his progressions. Yeah, he torched Oregon and Oregon St., but IMO he really struggled against the better defenses he appeared against. We need to hope that Lindgren can actually develop a QB beyond where he got Sefo.
Don't be a hater. I heard Montez may actually skip the NFL all together and go straight to the Hall of Fame after this season.

Anyone who is saying Darnold is nothing more than Sanchez or Leinart didn't watch the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl.

He was un ****ing real. I don't get wowed easily, especially by players from teams I hate, but he was that ridiculously good.

Honestly, he reminded me of a stronger and faster Jake Plummer. Aside from injuries and/or being drafted by a ****ty team (Cleveland), he should have a great chance at a strong NFL career, much better than Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinart.

Anyone who is saying Darnold is nothing more than Sanchez or Leinart didn't watch the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl.

He was un ****ing real. I don't get wowed easily, especially by players from teams I hate, but he was that ridiculously good.

Honestly, he reminded me of a stronger and faster Jake Plummer. Aside from injuries and/or being drafted by a ****ty team (Cleveland), he should have a great chance at a strong NFL career, much better than Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinart.

People have all said similar things about Palmer, Leinart, Sanchez, Barkley, etc. There is just something about USC QB's.

Darnold is a great college quarterback, like the list of USC guys. I give zero ****s about his NFL potential except for whether that grade is high enough to get him out of the Buffs' division after this year.

Its hard to fault him against Michigan and Washington since he had to come in cold and those defenses were pinning their ears back. His TE also dropped a TD pass against Michigan as well.

Against USC, sure criticism is fair. But in his defense USC won the LOS that day, and our receivers struggled to get open.

Its hard to fault him against Michigan and Washington since he had to come in cold and those defenses were pinning their ears back. His TE also dropped a TD pass against Michigan as well.

Against USC, sure criticism is fair. But in his defense USC won the LOS that day, and our receivers struggled to get open.

Also, he didn't throw in the towel at USC. He kept grinding, and the Buffs had a legit shot at a win at the end of the game.

Darnold is a great college quarterback, like the list of USC guys. I give zero ****s about his NFL potential except for whether that grade is high enough to get him out of the Buffs' division after this year.

That's my main point too.

It's offseason though, so let's get into meaningless arguments.

Back