What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Multi-year Contract Commitments + 2019 Coaching Staff

Jesus Christ, Bernardi stole money. I didn't know he made what he did, honestly.

MT's interview with Bernardi most likely had only one question.
OffEJTR.gif

By: David Plati, Associate AD/Sports Information
Release: December 15, 2018
BOULDER — New University of Colorado head coach Mel Tucker, who was hired on Dec. 5, has made his first hires for his initial coaching staff for the Buffaloes.

Tucker is bringing two of his colleagues from the University of Georgia in naming Jay Johnson offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and Tyson Summers as defensive coordinator and safeties coach. Johnson spent the last two seasons handling Georgia's quality control for offense, while Summers did the same for the last year- and-a-half for the defense. But between the two, they have a combined 34 years of coaching experience (14 as coordinators).

Johnson, 49, is a veteran coach and administrator of 24 seasons, including nine as an offensive coordinator at three previous Football Bowl Subdivision institutions in addition to coaching quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends as a position coach.

At Georgia, Johnson assisted in all off-field phases of game planning and recruiting, helping the Bulldogs to an overall record of 24-4 in his two years on Kirby Smart's staff. Summers then joined the UGA staff midway through the '17 season and with Johnson, went on quite the ride with Georgia as it won the 2018 Rose Bowl/CFP semifinal over Oklahoma in a wild 54-48 double overtime thriller. UGA thus advanced to the College Football Playoff Championship game, where Alabama had to rally to defeat Georgia in overtime, 26-23.

"Jay brings a tremendous amount of experience and is very well respected in the coaching community for his ability to develop quarterbacks," Tucker said. "He has a reputation for his offenses being both efficient and effective on a consistent basis. He shares my philosophy of playing complimentary football with offense and defense, the two working together. He's had a strong history of producing balanced offenses that are able to finish drives. Our players will enjoy playing for Jay."

Johnson, a graduate of Northern Iowa, has also coached at Missouri, Kansas, Southern Mississippi, Louisville, Central Michigan, Louisiana (Lafayette) and Minnesota among his time in the collegiate ranks.

Summers, 38, will be familiar to many in the area, as he was Colorado State's defensive coordinator in 2015. He was the Rams' defensive coordinator and safeties coach under its then-first year coach. The CSU defense made remarkable strides defensively that season under his tutelage, improving 30 spots or more in several categories from the previous year, including 85th to 55th in total defense, 32nd to ninth in passing defense and 114th to 21st in tackles for loss.

He left CSU after just that one season to become the head coach at Georgia Southern, a program entering its third year in the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Sun Belt Conference. Summers would spend almost two years in the role. Prior to be hired at Colorado State, Summers spent three years on the Central Florida staff under coach legendary coach George O'Leary, with the Knights posting a 31-9 record during his time there. He coached the UCF linebackers his first two seasons (2012-13) before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2014. In his first year coordinating a defense, Summers saw his Knights emerge as the top defense in the American Athletic Conference and one that ranked in the top 10 among FBS schools in total defense, rushing defense, scoring defense and red zone defense.

"Tyson shares my defensive philosophy, is a great teacher of the game and an excellent motivator who knows how to develop players," Tucker said. "He's a great family man, and that carries over to how much he tremendously cares about the student-athletes as people first and about their overall well-being. There's no one I'd rather have coordinating our defense and teaching these young men than Tyson."

In addition to Georgia (twice), Georgia Southern (twice), CSU and UCF, Summers' other major stops include Troy and Alabama-Birmingham. He is a graduate of Presbyterian.

Tucker also announced that three coaches off Mike MacIntyre's previous staff will be retained, Darrin Chiaverini, Ross Els and Darian Hagan. All three will continue to coach the same positions they did under previous head coach Mike MacIntyre: Chiaverini the receivers, Els the inside linebackers and Hagan the running backs.

Tucker is still completing his staff – schools are allowed 10 assistant coaches – and expects to make additional hires next week.

By: David Plati, Associate AD/Sports Information
Release: December 15, 2018
BOULDER — New University of Colorado head coach Mel Tucker, who was hired on Dec. 5, has made his first hires for his initial coaching staff for the Buffaloes.

Tucker is bringing two of his colleagues from the University of Georgia in naming Jay Johnson offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, and Tyson Summers as defensive coordinator and safeties coach. Johnson spent the last two seasons handling Georgia's quality control for offense, while Summers did the same for the last year- and-a-half for the defense. But between the two, they have a combined 34 years of coaching experience (14 as coordinators).

Johnson, 49, is a veteran coach and administrator of 24 seasons, including nine as an offensive coordinator at three previous Football Bowl Subdivision institutions in addition to coaching quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends as a position coach.

At Georgia, Johnson assisted in all off-field phases of game planning and recruiting, helping the Bulldogs to an overall record of 24-4 in his two years on Kirby Smart's staff. Summers then joined the UGA staff midway through the '17 season and with Johnson, went on quite the ride with Georgia as it won the 2018 Rose Bowl/CFP semifinal over Oklahoma in a wild 54-48 double overtime thriller. UGA thus advanced to the College Football Playoff Championship game, where Alabama had to rally to defeat Georgia in overtime, 26-23.

"Jay brings a tremendous amount of experience and is very well respected in the coaching community for his ability to develop quarterbacks," Tucker said. "He has a reputation for his offenses being both efficient and effective on a consistent basis. He shares my philosophy of playing complimentary football with offense and defense, the two working together. He's had a strong history of producing balanced offenses that are able to finish drives. Our players will enjoy playing for Jay."

Johnson, a graduate of Northern Iowa, has also coached at Missouri, Kansas, Southern Mississippi, Louisville, Central Michigan, Louisiana (Lafayette) and Minnesota among his time in the collegiate ranks.

Summers, 38, will be familiar to many in the area, as he was Colorado State's defensive coordinator in 2015. He was the Rams' defensive coordinator and safeties coach under its then-first year coach. The CSU defense made remarkable strides defensively that season under his tutelage, improving 30 spots or more in several categories from the previous year, including 85th to 55th in total defense, 32nd to ninth in passing defense and 114th to 21st in tackles for loss.

He left CSU after just that one season to become the head coach at Georgia Southern, a program entering its third year in the Football Bowl Subdivision and the Sun Belt Conference. Summers would spend almost two years in the role. Prior to be hired at Colorado State, Summers spent three years on the Central Florida staff under coach legendary coach George O'Leary, with the Knights posting a 31-9 record during his time there. He coached the UCF linebackers his first two seasons (2012-13) before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2014. In his first year coordinating a defense, Summers saw his Knights emerge as the top defense in the American Athletic Conference and one that ranked in the top 10 among FBS schools in total defense, rushing defense, scoring defense and red zone defense.

"Tyson shares my defensive philosophy, is a great teacher of the game and an excellent motivator who knows how to develop players," Tucker said. "He's a great family man, and that carries over to how much he tremendously cares about the student-athletes as people first and about their overall well-being. There's no one I'd rather have coordinating our defense and teaching these young men than Tyson."

In addition to Georgia (twice), Georgia Southern (twice), CSU and UCF, Summers' other major stops include Troy and Alabama-Birmingham. He is a graduate of Presbyterian.

Tucker also announced that three coaches off Mike MacIntyre's previous staff will be retained, Darrin Chiaverini, Ross Els and Darian Hagan. All three will continue to coach the same positions they did under previous head coach Mike MacIntyre: Chiaverini the receivers, Els the inside linebackers and Hagan the running backs.

Tucker is still completing his staff – schools are allowed 10 assistant coaches – and expects to make additional hires next week.

Wow, didn't know it was Christmas Eve already! So by this release it looks as though Chiv is only WR position coach, no more CO-OC title.

Roper has been crossed out in the OP after signing on with NC State to be their new QB coach.

I have also added Kapilovic as OL coach and Brumbaugh as DL coach since both have been reported by reputable media sources (even if not announced/ confirmed by CU).

Roper has been crossed out in the OP after signing on with NC State to be their new QB coach.

I have also added Kapilovic as OL coach and Brumbaugh as DL coach since both have been reported by reputable media sources (even if not announced/ confirmed by CU).

Whoa. So Ty left and followed Roper before he was even a coach there. Pretty shady tbh. I know coaches recruit kids they know but damn.

Whoa. So Ty left and followed Roper before he was even a coach there. Pretty shady tbh. I know coaches recruit kids they know but damn.
There's way too many moving pieces to suggest that's the case. Ty flew out to NC on a Friday morning, which means that his tickets were likely booked no later than Wednesday, which was the same day Tucker was hired. I might be wrong, but Tucker didn't even meet Roper until Thursday, and I don't think he interviewed any of the staff until Friday/Saturday. Roper probably didn't even know for sure if he was out of a job until Sunday, and at that point in time NCState still had an OC/QB coach.

If anything, NCState hired Roper to solidify Evans' commitment, although I doubt that's the case, either. It seems stupid and shortsighted to screw up the structure of your offensive staff (they have a weird structure like CU did last year with two Co-OCs, neither of whom is the QB coach. We'll see if it works better for them.

There's way too many moving pieces to suggest that's the case. Ty flew out to NC on a Friday morning, which means that his tickets were likely booked no later than Wednesday, which was the same day Tucker was hired. I might be wrong, but Tucker didn't even meet Roper until Thursday, and I don't think he interviewed any of the staff until Friday/Saturday. Roper probably didn't even know for sure if he was out of a job until Sunday, and at that point in time NCState still had an OC/QB coach.

If anything, NCState hired Roper to solidify Evans' commitment, although I doubt that's the case, either. It seems stupid and shortsighted to screw up the structure of your offensive staff (they have a weird structure like CU did last year with two Co-OCs, neither of whom is the QB coach. We'll see if it works better for them.

I think you are off a week on your timeline? Ty flew out on the Friday before the in-state OV weekend, not the prior week that MT was hired. Ty got antsy because of the Offensive Coordinator role being open and because MT had already told Roper he was not going to be part of the staff. Does this look fishy, heck yeah, but oh well. We are moving in another direction on QB's, so Ty was not likely a part of MT's plan. Roper's overall grade for his coaching needs to be analyzed with some advanced stats because it felt like Montez regressed. The three headed monster of Roper's QB Coaching + Adams bad OL play + Chev's play calling did him no favors, but I still have nightmares of Montez simply rolling out of the pocket and throwing the ball into the stands over and over!

Based off his twitter profile, looks like Coach Kap also has a "Run Game Coordinator" title.

Just let it go with Roper & Evans...it's part of the business. If Evans has issues staying healthy against 3A competition in this state, you have to wonder how he would hold up when it is obvious that the QB is going to run more often in OC Johnson's system. It's something that worked out for both parties.

"Jimmy is a Pete Jenkins disciple," Tucker said. "Tremendous character, a real team guy who is an excellent teacher of technique and fundamentals. He's a proven developer of talent and a tenacious recruiter."

Boom. That's been a common theme with HCMT. I get the feeling that we're going to be happily surprised at what this team looks like in the near future.

Loving the SEC infusion of the CU coaching staff. Maybe that will show Larry Scott what real football is.

I like this quote about Kap because it probably means someone at the AD is listening:

“Kap is a veteran coach who has a great reputation for developing cohesive offensive lines,” Tucker said. “He had several great lines at North Carolina that were the backbone of some prolific offenses. He’s an outstanding recruiter, has high character and is a great family man. He came highly recommended from Andy Heck, who I coached with in the NFL with Jacksonville – Kap coached both of his boys.” (Heck is currently the offensive line coach for the Kansas City Chiefs.)

Tucker has now filled seven of the 10 assistant coaching positions, as he has hired four coaches new to Colorado while retaining three from Mike MacIntyre's staff. He plans to fill the other three vacancies over the holidays and have a full staff intact by early January.

Let's hope this happens. We need a full staff for January recruiting efforts and they need to have time to get organized before January 11th (the xmas break Dead Period ends on the 10th & coaches can hit the road on the 11th).

Looks like Tucker is going in the direction of "great teacher + decent recruiter". I don't mind this approach for DL/OL. Though we can't have all the staff to fit this mold.

Looks like Tucker is going in the direction of "great teacher + decent recruiter". I don't mind this approach for DL/OL. Though we can't have all the staff to fit this mold.

This comment isn't really directed at you, but if this were to be the consensus take then we'd have about as clear of an example of goalpost moving as I can remember here...

Back