What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

my thoughts on spring game

Cody locks onto 1 receiver and his passes take forever to get to the receiver. Tyler has really stepped up with his reads this spring. He spreads the ball around much better than Cody last season and did an even better job with that this spring. He honestly looks like a different guy and has had it sort of come together for him.

Did you know that Tyler's passer rating was better than Cody's last year? That it was better despite playing against better competition and not getting extra stat-padding situational opportunities such as against the KSU prevent defense at the end of that game?

Honestly, Beak, you're wrong on this one. I respect your opinions and you're usually pretty spot on with things, but your post really isn't an accurate representation of those two guys unless we're talking about 2008.

I would imagine Tyler's rating was better as he was a better fit the Offense last year with his mobility. Cody, with a lack of running attack AND lack or Receivers, last year was at a disadvantage for his skill set. I would be curious to see stats in ONLY games that each started. I think the guy that comes in as the change up guy has a leg up on the Defense for the 1st few series they are in...especially when one is a markedly better runner than the other.

For whatever reason, Cody tends to lock on to 1 guy like Linus to his blanket. To his credit, Cody has brought the program some signature wins and, I think, felt the need to try to carry the team when the overall talent level/depth has been down.

I can't really tell which the players rally behind better. That will answer more questions than anything else.

Last year, Tyler's only relief appearance was in the Texas game. He went 3/5 for 17 yards with 0 TDs and 0 INTs. Deer in the headlights, though. Bunch of false starts by the offense and several sacks given up after he came in. I think he may have fumbled, too. (Hawkins was 6/18 for 68 yards with 2 TDs and 2 INTs as the starter.)

Cody came in against KSU (hurry up offense at the end of the 1st half and mop up duty at the end... both against a prevent). He went 10/23 for 95 yards with 0 TDs and 2 INTs. (Hansen was 7/14 for 89 yards with 0 TDs and 0 INTs as the starter.)

Against Oklahoma State, Cody came in and played well, going 7/11 for 69 yards with 1 TD and 0 INTs. (Hansen was 23/37 for 171 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs as the starter.)

As far as who the players rally behind, it's Hansen now for the most part. Some guys are tight with Cody (McKnight, for example). But Simas and Clemons are Hansen guys, to give you the starting WRs as an example.

I watched very closely yesterday.

Hansen is the guy. Cody is competetent. Hansen's feet break the tie. His escapability puts a lot of pressure on the D. In addition, we are running some spread stuff and he flat out can run the ball. He's not fast, but he just has an instinct for making guys miss.

Both did a very good job by the way. Hansen's job to lose and he didn't. IMO

Time for Tyler to put up or shut up. I hope he can lead this offense. I'd actually like to see a productive offense in Boulder for once.

This is what we need. Hansen at the top of the depth chart, unopposed and free of "grouping." Confidence to lead the team when the full roster is here in August. Unquestioned starter for CSU. Now that the QB mind games have hopefully ended, he is the starter until he plays himself out of the role in an actual game. Bet on it.

This is what we need. Hansen at the top of the depth chart, unopposed and free of "grouping." Confidence to lead the team when the full roster is here in August. Unquestioned starter for CSU. Now that the QB mind games have hopefully ended, he is the starter until he plays himself out of the role in an actual game. Bet on it.

My thoughts exactly only it's even better than what you say. We also have a competent back-up who knows the offense inside and out and has a ton of big game experience. Furthermore, our back up is the connsumate team player who not try to undermine our starter or the team's support for him. And, we have a couple of young up and comers who show real promise.

I love it! Real qb depth!! For once we don't have to look to a Juco new to the program or a true freshman to take the reigns if our starter goes down. This is what we have always wanted and haven't seen since the days of Mac.

My thoughts exactly only it's even better than what you say. We also have a competent back-up who knows the offense inside and out and has a ton of big game experience. Furthermore, our back up is the connsumate team player who not try to undermine our starter or the team's support for him. And, we have a couple of young up and comers who show real promise.

I love it! Real qb depth!! For once we don't have to look to a Juco new to the program or a true freshman to take the reigns if our starter goes down. This is what we have always wanted and haven't seen since the days of Mac.

I get what you're saying but I don't really buy that you have depth at a position when you don't really have anyone who looks like a starter.

Hansen should be the starter, period, unless he's hurt. Just a WAG, but what has he had, a dozen starts or less? He's shown much more potential than Cody; a stronger and more accurate arm, escapability, etc. He needs experience and there's only one way to get it. Frankly, I think it's somewhat absurd that people really think it's 'close'.

What I want after attending Spring Game:

-I want to hear "Hansen to Thornton" about 60 times this year. They seem to have a real chemistry there, and Thornton is a total mismatch for anyone - I think he's going to be the best TE we've had since D. Graham.

-I want Parker Orms on the field - alot. He simply has a knack for making plays.

-I want to see the type of intenisty that the White team showed carry over to the season. I don't think its a coincidence that the Hansen-lead team was fired up and danced and the Hawkins-lead team sat and watched.

-I want to see a much improved kicking game in the fall. Seriously - it's not like these guys have a playbook to memorize or assignments to worry about. I like that there is a real competition for PK duties - I don't think that Goodman wins this year.

I get what you're saying but I don't really buy that you have depth at a position when you don't really have anyone who looks like a starter.

Fair enough, Cody doesn't 'look' like a starter (5'11" - 190? Yeah..sure, when he's wearing 4 inch platform stripper heels and has a 40 pound midget on his back) but he has real game experience and knows the job inside and out. That's more than the back up on half the teams in D1A. It's also certainly more than we've had at CU in a decade. But I hear your point, it would be nice to have a back up who had the potential of actually being the NR 1 and that train has left Cody behind IMHO.

In regard to depth and athleticism, everyone should keep in mind that over 1/4 of our roster isn't here yet or is out with injury. Those scholarship athletes and preferred walk ons will dramatically change the makeup of this team in a good way.

If we have to depend on what we have coming in to help this team this year, I believe we are worse off then I even expected!

At this point, I suspect one RB will see playing time, maybe two (of the incoming freshmen).
The Juco LB should have a chance to earn time.
I would guess the TE group will redshirt, with 1-2 moving to defense.

Duncan might see the field in the return game. I also think he will compete for WR time, as there's still a spot for a WR who can really make guys miss in the short passing game.

I thought our RBs looked horrible. Nabors looked the best as I think I actually saw him break a tackle or two. Then came Block and finally Q. For all the hype I had heard about Q, I was really expecting a bit more out of him. He seemed to go down if someone so much as put an arm on him.

Nabors also put the ball on the ground which was not good to see.

Unbiased opinion...I still think Cody is your guy. Hansen is kind of a 1 trick pony in that he seems to hope a play breaks down so he can scramble. That's not going to work consistently. The running game will not be a strength so you will need your best passer to play it would appear. That is probably Cody. The Oline HAS to improve over last year or it will be trouble. Won't matter who the QB is if they start 1st & 15 or 20 and then have to run for their life. Big Hawk has to show a run threat or Ds will pin thier ears back and get afterg the QB.

Season will hinge on the D. The O will not be able to control the ball enough to give the D good rests and conditioning will come into play.

If you can start 3-1 or at least 2-2, you may be able to catch some momentum. You hate to say 1 game will make or break, but in this case, I think the season hinges on CSU. Confidence will either soar or things will head south quickly.

Need to find ways to incorporate the TEs a little and hope a pass rush can be generated w/out much blitzing cuz it didn't appear that the Secondary was up to speed yet although Polk looked much more comfortable than last year.

Tyler Hanson represents a greater problem for your team so of course you want Cody to start.

The tight end in college football is an incredible weapon. The vast majority of teams don't have one, so they can't defend one. If you have a legit tight end, you can do some sick damage in college football. I'm hoping that Thornton is that guy. If he is, there may be some hope for this season afterall. Honestly, tight ends are the x-factor in the college game.

This all assumes that the coaching staff will employ some semblance of a game plan that employs the tight end.

The tight end in college football is an incredible weapon. The vast majority of teams don't have one, so they can't defend one. If you have a legit tight end, you can do some sick damage in college football. I'm hoping that Thornton is that guy. If he is, there may be some hope for this season afterall. Honestly, tight ends are the x-factor in the college game.

This all assumes that the coaching staff will employ some semblance of a game plan that employs the tight end.

I did see Clark Evans line up in the backfield at least once, he took on a safety blitz from Orms, but Rippy got through also and forced an early throw.

I saw plenty of things I didnt like but it would sound pretty redundant around these parts lol. So Ill just mention some things or people I was impressed by. Solder, thought he looked 10 times better than last year, really looked good from what I saw. Thorton, give this guy some experience because he clearly has talent. He will be a weapon for us. Orms, yes he missed some tackles but the guy flys around all over the place. With some game experience, he will be fine. Clemons, with him, McKnight, and Simas all on the field at the same time should give some defenses problems. Id say Cefalo and a few others but I need to see more of them.

A vast majority don't have a tight end? Really?

You know what I mean. The tight end in college football is an afterthought. Offenses are not designed to utilize it, and defenses are not designed to stop it. A college team with a really good tight end can do a ton of damage.

If Daddy Hawk will let it happen Cody is the ideal guy to have as a back-up on a team like this. His physical shortcomings make him unsuited to be the starter. Tyler is flawed as well but his athletic abiity and ability to make a play when the play as called isn't working is what separates him from Cody.

Cody is going to know the offense and be mentally prepared for the defense. His problem is that when a defense has time to prepare for him they can take advantage of his limitations. On the other hand if they have to prepare for Tyler and something happens Cody is well suited to take over on a moments notice. He can understand the game plan with a limited number of reps during the week, he can provide input to the coaching staff and to Tyler during the game. If he has to come in for a play or a few plays the team will have confidence he knows what he is doing and we don't get the game is lost with our QB mentality.

If Tyler were to be lost for more than a couple of games I would seriously look at playing Hirschman (or Lobato) in front of Cody again to give the threat of the physical ability to make plays but on a short term basis Cody is the ideal back-up.

If Daddy Hawk will let it happen Cody is the ideal guy to have as a back-up on a team like this. His physical shortcomings make him unsuited to be the starter. Tyler is flawed as well but his athletic abiity and ability to make a play when the play as called isn't working is what separates him from Cody.

Cody is going to know the offense and be mentally prepared for the defense. His problem is that when a defense has time to prepare for him they can take advantage of his limitations. On the other hand if they have to prepare for Tyler and something happens Cody is well suited to take over on a moments notice. He can understand the game plan with a limited number of reps during the week, he can provide input to the coaching staff and to Tyler during the game. If he has to come in for a play or a few plays the team will have confidence he knows what he is doing and we don't get the game is lost with our QB mentality.

If Tyler were to be lost for more than a couple of games I would seriously look at playing Hirschman (or Lobato) in front of Cody again to give the threat of the physical ability to make plays but on a short term basis Cody is the ideal back-up.

Good post

Dammit. After reading this thread--against my better intentions--I'm all excited for football this Fall. I hope you ****ers are happy.

Cody was the starter in the game in '08. He fared very well in that game. Last year, the QB didn't fare so well.

2008 - Nebraska = #89 passing defense

Cody Hawkins - 14/24, 58% completion, 249 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

2009 - Nebraska - #18 passing defense

Tyler Hansen - 21/44, 48% completion, 269 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs

eh

2008 - Nebraska = #89 passing defense

Cody Hawkins - 14/24, 58% completion, 249 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs

2009 - Nebraska - #18 passing defense

Tyler Hansen - 21/44, 48% completion, 269 yards, 3 TDs, 3 INTs

eh

Take out our horrid peformance against Mizzou in '08 and we are nowhere near that low(que memories from Cats):lol:

We can agree to disagree.

Back