What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Name A College Football Program You Respect

I'd like to retract my previous mention of Nebraska. **** Nebraska.
Tom Osborne is one of the biggest scumbags to ever walk the sidelines. He let Lawrence Phillips stay on the team and play in a bowl game after he beat up his girlfriend, and dragged her by her hair down a flight of stairs. He was convicted of battery, and the last I heard was in prison for 10 years after running down 3 young kids with his car, after he lost a pickup football game with them.

Last edited:
anyone who thinks Texas wasn't cheating in the 70's and 80's is crazy. they just owned the local judges and politcos in the state. too much influence. so, everyone in the SWC was cheating EXCEPT Texas, c'mon?

and Darryl Royal didn't integrate until after 1970. which is pretty bad. you google a pic of his 1970 MNC team and they are all-white. it's 1970, not 1960.

and i know this is hoops, but Rick Barnes and Scott Drew had a public "i'll turn you in, if you turn me in" mutually assured destruction public moment a few years ago. most people in the region who are even slightly impartial think Barnes and Drew are both dirty. jus sayin'.

and put Texas fans in the mix....no respect from me.

rigth now, K State. fans are a joke, but can't argue with the Darth right now. that's the football we want.....blocking, tackle, schemes that fit talent on hand. special teams. run the ball, physical on both side of the LOS. don't beat themselves, play 4 quarters. win on the road.

the program i used to respect was us.

northwestern. hate the unis, but they are reasonably competitive in a high academic setting (although Evenston is really depressing....crap campus...all the buildings look like air conditioning units).

Last edited:
It appears you guys like programs that lose to the programs that put players in the NFL.

Like and respect are clearly two different things.

e8aheda8.jpg

Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Arkansas
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
Missouri

Based on the variety of answers, it looks like a better question might by why do you respect a program? For some, clearly, winning is it. For others, it seems to be the willingness to be located in ****** places. "Clean" programs and putting players in the NFL for others.

For some reason, I gave this far more thought than it deserved, and in light of history where coaches either were actually involved in some sort of scandal, or covered it up, or where individual players have blighted their team, I don't think I can respect a program. I can respect a man on the sum of his actions.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Texas, Washington - programs have generally been clean, good academics, great fan support, nice college atmosphere

The one team other than CU that I'd love to see on this list: Virginia. What other state school can make a legit argument that it has the best academics of all the state schools, the best college town, and the best looking campus. And it was founded by Thomas Jefferson. Too bad its football team sucks.

Obviously Charlie doesn't take his thinking seriously enough.

Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Texas, Washington - programs have generally been clean, good academics, great fan support, nice college atmosphere

The one team other than CU that I'd love to see on this list: Virginia. What other state school can make a legit argument that it has the best academics of all the state schools, the best college town, and the best looking campus. And it was founded by Thomas Jefferson. Too bad its football team sucks.

I want to second this observation. I am prejudiced as my son was a UVA athlete.

I wanted to post "UVA" but I couldn't do it. I see their AD as one that dramatically underperforms in its revenue sports while being excellent in its other sports. Take away football and men's basketball, though, and they're about as good as it gets.

Stanford, Texas, Michigan.

And I respect how TCU and Utah have pulled their way out of small conference oblivion to get into power conferences.

I wanted to post "UVA" but I couldn't do it. I see their AD as one that dramatically underperforms in its revenue sports while being excellent in its other sports. Take away football and men's basketball, though, and they're about as good as it gets.

Zero excuse for their football to stumble around like it does given the talent it sits right by. If this was the 80s and 90s, they'd be worth mentioning. George Welsh even had UVA football ranked #1 for a few weeks in 1990 and a regular in the top 25 for 15 years. The basketball teams were regularly in the Final Four and Elite 8. But, like CU, the 2000s hit and while they've had an occasional season here and there in both sports, it's been a tough go of it. The arrogance of their fans calling it "Mr. Jefferson's University" "The Academical Village" "The Grounds" and "First Year, Second Year, Third Year, etc." is off putting, as well.

Zero excuse for their football to stumble around like it does given the talent it sits right by. If this was the 80s and 90s, they'd be worth mentioning. George Welsh even had UVA football ranked #1 for a few weeks in 1990 and a regular in the top 25 for 15 years. The basketball teams were regularly in the Final Four and Elite 8. But, like CU, the 2000s hit and while they've had an occasional season here and there in both sports, it's been a tough go of it. The arrogance of their fans calling it "Mr. Jefferson's University" "The Academical Village" "The Grounds" and "First Year, Second Year, Third Year, etc." is off putting, as well.

Well, it IS Mr. Jefferson's university. He listed it as one of his proudest achievements, just under writing the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson called it the "academical village" and the original configuration of the university is in the architectural hall of fame as well as being admired universally. The grounds I believe you refer to is not as familiar to me as "the Lawn" which is one of the greatest university traditions in academia. And first, second, etc. years is also a unique tradition. My son and his friends, some of the finest young people around, all love and revere the unique traditions of this university. Why that is off-putting must be something personal for you. It might be arrogant but there is substance for the arrogance. Sort of like people speaking of American exceptionalism.

I agree with your observations about the sports. Although my son played baseball and the UVA baseball team has become a national power. Going to the College World Series in Omaha with my son was one of the highlights of my life!

Well, it IS Mr. Jefferson's university. He listed it as one of his proudest achievements, just under writing the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson called it the "academical village" and the original configuration of the university is in the architectural hall of fame as well as being admired universally. The grounds I believe you refer to is not as familiar to me as "the Lawn" which is one of the greatest university traditions in academia. And first, second, etc. years is also a unique tradition. My son and his friends, some of the finest young people around, all love and revere the unique traditions of this university. Why that is off-putting must be something personal for you. It might be arrogant but there is substance for the arrogance. Sort of like people speaking of American exceptionalism.

I agree with your observations about the sports. Although my son played baseball and the UVA baseball team has become a national power. Going to the College World Series in Omaha with my son was one of the highlights of my life!

It's off putting because it's borderline snobbery, and no one likes snobbery, deserved or not. You call yourself a Junior, they say "well I'm a third year". I say "well on campus at CU..." they say well on Grounds". Look, I've supported UVA for years as my second team and count the Littlepages among my closest friends. However, there's no denying that UVA has some perception issues when it comes to arrogance. It's a great school, great campus. I'm well aware. But similar to CU in Colorado, UVA gives off an unappealing sense of elitism in Virginia that doesn't do its fan base any good.

And congrats to your son for that wonderful achievement. Brian O'Connor is an excellent coach and fantastic all around guy. Amazing what that baseball program has done. I had the enjoyment of being at "the game" against UCSB that sent them to the CWS.

Last edited:
It's off putting because it's borderline snobbery, and no one likes snobbery, deserved or not. You call yourself a Junior, they say "well I'm a third year". I say "well on campus at CU..." they say well on Grounds". Look, I've supported UVA for years as my second team and count the Littlepages among my closest friends. However, there's no denying that UVA has some perception issues when it comes to arrogance. It's a great school, great campus. I'm well aware. But similar to CU in Colorado, UVA gives off an unappealing sense of elitism in Virginia that doesn't do its fan base any good.

And congrats to your son for that wonderful achievement. Brian O'Connor is an excellent coach and fantastic all around guy. Amazing what that baseball program has done. I had the enjoyment of being at "the game" against UCSB that sent them to the CWS.

: - )

Iowa State. Growing up around a lot of their fans you constantly hear the Husker bashing but they are good people that have gone through years of being a nobody and have started to get their act together in last half decade and are starting to be a Big 12 contender. They're humble when they've been beaten. Basically I just respect them for doing so much with so little.

Iowa State. Growing up around a lot of their fans you constantly hear the Husker bashing but they are good people that have gone through years of being a nobody and have started to get their act together in last half decade and are starting to be a Big 12 contender. They're humble when they've been beaten. Basically I just respect them for doing so much with so little.

I respected them that time they went into Nebraska in the early 90s--at the pinnacle of Osborne's Evil Empire--and took care of business. I do tend to like the ISU fans I meet, but do I respect the program? Not really--it's not doing a lot for the school, overall.

I'd love to have Rhodes as a coach, though.

Northwestern - They have turned their program into a competitive team with a tough disadvantage because of academics.

Northwestern - They have turned their program into a competitive team with a tough disadvantage because of academics.
Also shows the excuse that Colorado can't recruit cuz of academics is bull****. It'll always be hard to compete against glorified community colleges like K State, but we can be relevant.

I will say I think the admin could give some more admission exemptions to the football program or develop a 'general studies' degree. That would help get some better athletes on the field, me thinks...

Back