What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Naming rights for CSU's new stadium - ideas?

Not sure Akron is the model CSU is looking for. According to this review, there is some buyers remorse within the Zips AD due to terrible attendance in year 2 and beyond. The 3-9 and 1-11 records just killed interest in the program amongst students. Ouch.

http://www.ohio.com/news/first/attendance-falls-at-ua-stadium-1.182536

The school recently approved beer sales for 2012 to juice interest in a team with a losing record over the past six seasons. So they have that going for them.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...-of-akron-to-sell-beer-at-home-football-games

But none of those teams have Cap'n Jack-off! He has already single handedly decided that they will double their annual AD budget and his fully feasible feasability study says that the projected revenue from 18k in attendance can easily cover the needed loans! How is it that none of you are seeing this regardless of all of the baseless facts you are providing?? DERP!

Not sure Akron is the model CSU is looking for. According to this review, there is some buyers remorse within the Zips AD due to terrible attendance in year 2 and beyond. The 3-9 and 1-11 records just killed interest in the program amongst students. Ouch.

The school recently approved beer sales for 2012 to juice interest in a team with a losing record over the past six seasons. So they have that going for them.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...-of-akron-to-sell-beer-at-home-football-games

Akron's attendance was still better than most of their peers in the MAC. Let's say the MAC isn't very appealing as a conference.

And speaking of conferences, I wonder how much the instability of the MWC could be a factor. If the new Big East media contract is bigger than expected, it's possible that teams like Air Force, Frenso State, and UNLV could ditch the MWC for the Big East. It's something debated on the MWC Board. The MWC has really lost its star power in the likes of Utah, BYU, TCU, BSU, and SDSU. There is a reason why Idaho's football program is going independent because they expect a call from the MWC around 2013 or 2014 after those schools eventually leave. :lol:

Having said that, could CSU eventually become a member of the Big Sky/WAC hybrid conference?

The Rams should also make that stadium multi-purpose so they can host soccer and lacrosse games in that stadium as well.

There is a lot riding on CSU's future in this case...maybe too much and they get the stadium built as a result.

This thread is 50 pages long...go tell those RamNation goat humpers that CU fans take CSU football more seriously than CSU fans take CSU football seriously. :haha2:

Yeah - and the folks in Ames were sweating pretty hard when it was looking like the Big 12 was going to implode.

according to CSU fans, they are a lock to get in the Big 12, so they should leverage those future conference revenue in their future conference.

So where is our beer?

Ummm...not that I'd ever advocate this approach, but if Folsom dips down to under 20K atrendence per game, maybe the CUAD would think about studying the possibility of looking into beer sales at Folsom. But they might do a survey first. And then they might announce an announcement date. And then backpedal, depending on, you know, whatever political winds are blowing through the offices of DiStephano and Benson.

according to CSU fans, they are a lock to get in the Big 12, so they should leverage those future conference revenue in their future conference.

You haven't been paying attention to ram fan lately. They have moved on from the Big 12 and now think they are moving to the Big east or possibly going to the Pac-16.

Ideal for CSU is 18-20k. Put a little premium on seats for big games encouraging people to buy season tickets. Since they never sell out there is no incentive to buy early or buy less desirable games. A biger stadium also results in a less exciting evironment since all the empty seats kill the sensation of being part of something special. The likelyhood of them staying where they are at or even more likely dropping to FCS is much higher that moving up into a higher revenue conference.

It isn't that hard to build a stadium of that size that is designed for expansion should the need arise. Should they need to expand based on their history it is highly unlikely that they will need to go much beyond 30-35k. Even if the miracle of Big XII membership happened I don't see them reaching 42k.

But, but, but CSU deserves a big ol' stadium for weddings and stuff.

Akron's attendance was still better than most of their peers in the MAC. Let's say the MAC isn't very appealing as a conference.

And speaking of conferences, I wonder how much the instability of the MWC could be a factor....

Having said that, could CSU eventually become a member of the Big Sky/WAC hybrid conference?

The Rams should also make that stadium multi-purpose so they can host soccer and lacrosse games in that stadium as well.

There is a lot riding on CSU's future in this case...maybe too much and they get the stadium built as a result.

You do have to wonder what the conference carousel will be like in the next few years. I've always thought that in football the MWC and Big East were about even in that they were a half level behind the other BCS conferences. I'm not sure why the MWC tried the Conference USA partnership, they really needed to pair with the Big East. In football and pre boise/sdsu, Big East champ playing MWC champ for the last BCS slot the same weekend the other CCG games were played sounded like a perfect plan. Maybe most of that can be accomplished with the Big East poaching some more MWC teams as you describe as it would give some cohesiveness to a western division. It would make some sense for NBC to throw some decent money at that, though the Big East stooped really really low in some of the eastern programs they added, so there just might not be any value there.

In any event, CSU is probably below Air Force in the desirability totem pole. Especially w/ navy joining the BE.

Does a shiny new $250 million stadium help CSU jump anyone? I don't know, but that's a hell of a risk to take. Chances at a newly picked over WAC reincarnation are greater. Definitely should be multiuse, all that means is slightly wider sidelines.

Akron might not be the best program to emulate, but the scope of their stadium project is about right, as are all of those other examples. Akron has a decent number of club seats to bring in the rich donors and lots of space for expansion in the endzones, which CSU could build out immediately for pretty cheap if they want a larger stadium.

Iowa State is funding pretty much everything on loans secured against future Big 12 media revenues. This is, obviously, not an option for CSU.

Exactly... CSU's mantra should be build cheap until the revenue from their Big 12 invite comes in, not the other way around (especially since it's not coming).

You do have to wonder what the conference carousel will be like in the next few years. I've always thought that in football the MWC and Big East were about even in that they were a half level behind the other BCS conferences. I'm not sure why the MWC tried the Conference USA partnership, they really needed to pair with the Big East. In football and pre boise/sdsu, Big East champ playing MWC champ for the last BCS slot the same weekend the other CCG games were played sounded like a perfect plan. Maybe most of that can be accomplished with the Big East poaching some more MWC teams as you describe as it would give some cohesiveness to a western division. It would make some sense for NBC to throw some decent money at that, though the Big East stooped really really low in some of the eastern programs they added, so there just might not be any value there.

In any event, CSU is probably below Air Force in the desirability totem pole. Especially w/ navy joining the BE.

Does a shiny new $250 million stadium help CSU jump anyone? I don't know, but that's a hell of a risk to take. Chances at a new picked over WAC are greater. Definitely should be multiuse, all that means is slightly wider sidelines.

Akron might not be the best program to emulate, but the scope of their stadium project is about right, as are all of those other examples. Akron has a decent number of club seats to bring in the rich donors and lots of space for expansion in the endzones, which CSU could build out immediately for pretty cheap if they want a larger stadium.

Exactly... CSU's mantra should be build cheap until the revenue from their Big 12 invite comes in, not the other way around (especially since it's not coming).

Football in the MWC has been similar to the Big East the last few years and in some years arguably a step above although that is mostly due to teams that are no longer in the league. Quality of football isn't the issue though. What matters is the money and the Big East is way ahead in that regard.

The MWC simply doesn't draw enough TV sets to compete. Their TV ratings have been a joke, enough so that they had to close down their own TV network for lack of revenues to keep it going. They have a number of teams that have a hard time drawing 25k a game at home even with relatively low ticket prices.

The revenue situation is the reason why they aren't going to get into the Big XII, it isn't going to happen even with a new stadium. Adding CSU would cost the other members money and they aren't going to give that away.

CSU didn't draw substantially larger crowds even when they were winning. What is the likelyhood that they would be a winner in a conference with OU and UT and OSU. Just doens't make sense.

CSU pulled an announced 23k yesterday. Looked legit to me

20120922__SP22FBCCSU__KG29579~p1.jpg

CSU pulled an announced 23k yesterday. Looked legit to me

20120922__SP22FBCCSU__KG29579~p1.jpg

23K tickets sold or given away.... I talked to a big rammie fan at breakfast this morning. He said half of the people who showed up left at half time. It won't matter where they play..... their "fans" don't give a ****.

Losing to them is pathetic. With that said, lammie fans are already giving up on the season

My cousin goes to Utah State and traveled over from Logan for the game, before promptly heading to Boulder and spending the rest of his weekend there.

Anyway, he told me how pathetic the crowd/atmosphere/everything was. He certainly didn't see 23k there, or even close. I'll put it this way: when a Utah State fan is justified in talking **** about your pathetic following and looking down on you, you have serious problems.

The MWC should kick CSU out and add USU. USU has a solid basketball program/fan following, and their football team is 3-1 right now with a victory over Utah and has won 8/10 dating back to last season.

My cousin goes to Utah State and traveled over from Logan for the game, before promptly heading to Boulder and spending the rest of his weekend there.

Anyway, he told me how pathetic the crowd/atmosphere/everything was. He certainly didn't see 23k there, or even close. I'll put it this way: when a Utah State fan is justified in talking **** about your pathetic following and looking down on you, you have serious problems.

The MWC should kick CSU out and add USU. USU has a solid basketball program/fan following, and their football team is 3-1 right now with a victory over Utah and has won 8/10 dating back to last season.

I'm pretty sure Utah State is joining next year already. The MWC is keeping CSU because they need enough warm bodies to stay afloat.

I was looking at the feasibility numbers posted in the Coloradoan:

An analysis of CSL’s projections shows CSU, to hit the baseline figures, would have to:
• Increase season ticket revenue by 230 percent — from the $953,820 collected in 2010-11 to $2.2 million — and increase individual game ticket revenue by 316 percent to $4.09 million per season.
• Outperform 2010-11 priority seat donation revenues by 184 percent — the difference between about $1.38 million and $2.55 million.
• Increase premium seating donations by 624 percent — upping revenues from $387,475 to about $2.42 million.
• Raise the bar on advertising/sponsorship revenue by about 230 percent — the difference between about $1.54 million and $3.55 million.

One economist called it out:
“It’s a figment of their imagination,” local accountant and former Fort Collins Mayor John Knezovich said of CSU’s aim to sell more premium seating, should the on-campus stadium go up. As a fixture in the community for more than 40 years and a regular football game attendant, Knezovich doesn’t believe there’s a large enough pool of interested ticket buyers to draw from without the incentive of a high-caliber team.

Increases of hundreds of percentages?? All I can say is :rofl:to their projections.

They have the scoreboard but that doesn't mean we can't make fun of them. I watched their game and I was astounded by the lack of fans after all the bravado from gasm and ramnation.

Back