What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nate Landman

Not to de-emphasize how they finish the 2018 recruiting class, though. Because while Javier and Mulumba look better as the season goes along, there's a real problem with depth and we need to be able to rotate 5 or 6 good players on the DL to be able to hold up against the Pac-12 pace and run games.
Off the top of my head, we have Javier Edwards, Mulumba, Tuiloma, and ??????????????????????????????????????????????????? as guys that you could reasonably hope can play starter level snaps and give us workable P12 results (not even good, just not embarrassing). I think that's an optimistic outlook, and right now only two of those three can see the field at any one time. On the bench we have a few spot guys and some promise with the former USC recruit (name forgotten). That's it right now. Recruiting and development are going to need to hit it out of the ball park this off season. They sure didn't this last one.

Off the top of my head, we have Javier Edwards, Mulumba, Tuiloma, and ??????????????????????????????????????????????????? as guys that you could reasonably hope can play starter level snaps and give us workable P12 results (not even good, just not embarrassing). I think that's an optimistic outlook, and right now only two of those three can see the field at any one time. On the bench we have a few spot guys and some promise with the former USC recruit (name forgotten). That's it right now. Recruiting and development are going to need to hit it out of the ball park this off season. They sure didn't this last one.
Terrance Lang

I think we have some nice returning pieces, but I just question where the jump is going to come from next season. Defense just does not seem to have those players you can rely on to make game-changing plays.

I think we have some nice returning pieces, but I just question where the jump is going to come from next season. Defense just does not seem to have those players you can rely on to make game-changing plays.
I agree that we didn’t see those plays this year. I think we do have players who can make those plays through. Landman certainly looks like one.

I agree that we didn’t see those plays this year. I think we do have players who can make those plays through. Landman certainly looks like one.

I look at this way: how many all-conference types are there on defense in 2018? Especially if Oliver is gone?

I didn't want to get embroiled in whatever was in the game thread by offending someone with a positive comment, but one observation I had from that game is that Mulumba looked like a different guy from early in the season. Seems like he's starting to figure it out with his foundational techniques and responsibilities and is now able to start making some plays. Dude's got great hands.
They need to be hitting the JUCOs hard for DL to finish out the recruiting cycle, and then make sure to get them meaningful playing time in 2018. It's proving out that their JUCO signings need a year of game experience before playing at a high level.

Barnett was advocating for this during the game. Not sure Lewis is big enough to be more than a situational pass rusher outside. I guess he could take the Moeller spot.
My thought as well. With his size he would get eaten alive on the outside and not sure if he can hold the edge. Like the idea of putting him on the edge on passing downs and taking Gamboa out of the middle though.

I look at this way: how many all-conference types are there on defense in 2018? Especially if Oliver is gone?
Are you talking third team, honorable mention, or first team all-conference?

I like Fisher. I like Malumba. I like Landman. I like Worthington. I like Udoffia. I could see three, maybe four guys sneaking on to the honorable mention all-conference team.

I think the coaches need to think about scaling back the Buffbacker position quite a bit.
I think CU has gotten exposed on the edge with the Buff Backer position. Moeller and anyone else just doesn't have the size to hold the edge consistently.

Malumba is another JC fill in though.

He comes in, takes a season to adjust to P5 football, we get one good season out of him and he is gone, same thing as we are seeing with Leo Jackson this year.

Tualoma and Lang are HS recruits who we should be able to develop and get at least two solid years out of (hope for more with Lang.) They are examples of what we need to be getting a lot more of and aren't. Does Sami factor, most other P5 programs didn't think so.

We have nobody else unless we bring in more JCs who are here and gone leaving holes, again.

They need to be hitting the JUCOs hard for DL to finish out the recruiting cycle, and then make sure to get them meaningful playing time in 2018. It's proving out that their JUCO signings need a year of game experience before playing at a high level.
The Dline, out of any position, has the best path for a high talent to come in and start or play a ton, right away. The fact CU's coaches can't translate that to HS or JUCO recruits is frustrating and a little mind boggling.

How many 2016 all-conference types did we envision at this point of the 2015 season? I think we all liked Chido and TT, knew Gilbert was decent, and thought Tupou was a remote possibility, but who really saw Oliver or Spoon turning into what they were? Carrell and Samson were pretty meh, and nobody really cared for Olugbode in 2015. Is it possible for Gamboa, Lewis, Landman, Callier, Javier, Mulumba and Tuiloma to surprise and exceed all current expectations of them for next year? What about Udoffia, Worthington, Wigley and Fisher taking the next step? Then there are younger guys like JVD, Sparaco, Chris Miller, Lang and Blackmon who could all get opportunities and change the outlook dramatically if they show out.

Point is... The one aspect this staff has been pretty decent at is developing some less heralded recruits into above average to great players, and until that time comes, the outlook is going to be pretty bleak. I'm not saying this is sustainable and, as we've discussed, it probably isn't going to win a Pac 12 Championship but I feel like the defense has some guys who can play at a pretty high level next year. Depth on DL is certainly an issue, though.

How many 2016 all-conference types did we envision at this point of the 2015 season? I think we all liked Chido and TT, knew Gilbert was decent, and thought Tupou was a remote possibility, but who really saw Oliver or Spoon turning into what they were? Carrell and Samson were pretty meh, and nobody really cared for Olugbode in 2015. Is it possible for Gamboa, Lewis, Landman, Callier, Javier, Mulumba and Tuiloma to surprise and exceed all current expectations of them for next year? What about Udoffia, Worthington, Wigley and Fisher taking the next step? Then there are younger guys like JVD, Sparaco, Chris Miller, Lang and Blackmon who could all get opportunities and change the outlook dramatically if they show out.

Point is... The one aspect this staff has been pretty decent at is developing some less heralded recruits into above average to great players, and until that time comes, the outlook is going to be pretty bleak. I'm not saying this is sustainable and, as we've discussed, it probably isn't going to win a Pac 12 Championship but I feel like the defense has some guys who can play at a pretty high level next year. Depth on DL is certainly an issue, though.

Tupou was more than a remote possibility. Obviously Chido and TT were known quantities. Witherspoon surprised.

McCartney and Gilbert on the outside were solid pieces.

There was just a lot of solid pieces throughout the defense with a few superstars.

I think it is going to take huge jumps across the board for the defense to even be solid across the board, let alone mixing in some superstars.

Are you talking third team, honorable mention, or first team all-conference?

I like Fisher. I like Malumba. I like Landman. I like Worthington. I like Udoffia. I could see three, maybe four guys sneaking on to the honorable mention all-conference team.

Talking actual first and second team players.

Tupou was more than a remote possibility. Obviously Chido and TT were known quantities. Witherspoon surprised.

McCartney and Gilbert on the outside were solid pieces.

There was just a lot of solid pieces throughout the defense with a few superstars.

I think it is going to take huge jumps across the board for the defense to even be solid across the board, let alone mixing in some superstars.
Eh, I won’t argue with you about perception of the defense and individual players from a year and a half ago, but nobody here saw the 2016 defense being as good as it was. It would take Javier and Mulumba making big jumps to elevate this defense to a solid level, IMO. The other positions have guys with potential, but until they actually prove it on the field, potential is all it is.

Eh, I won’t argue with you about perception of the defense and individual players from a year and a half ago, but nobody here saw the 2016 defense being as good as it was. It would take Javier and Mulumba making big jumps to elevate this defense to a solid level, IMO. The other positions have guys with potential, but until they actually prove it on the field, potential is all it is.

I think the 2016 defense overachieved to an extent, not sure the 2017 has underachieved (just see an extreme talent issue).

Unless they sign a couple of DT's who can play and be decent, the DL will be thin even with mulumba and javier improving.

Lewis has looked good but unless callier and landman make a big jump, this unit will be thin also.

If oliver bolts for nfl, the secondary will struggle. I like udoffia, fisher and at time EW.

Just don't see the depth and talent at this point. Is miller going to be a player next year? Will falo ever be back? Can a new DL coach bring a coupke of legit guys this late in recruiting?

Amazing to hear the points about the talent that Landman has and the assumption that he will not get the snaps because Gamboa is in his way? An entire article was written about how impactful he was and how good he looked in about 20 snaps! I thought he looked dynamic, and most of the time I think Gamboa has grown roots into the ground.

There was an article recently about the amazing ability of Juwann Winfree, but he only got snaps because of Fields injury

Oh, and another article about the explosive ability of Shenault to catch deep balls, and the obvious NFL body he has, despite how few snaps he has had.

Spot a trend here folks!!!

Why on earth does Mac create this environment where a more talented underclassmen MUST remain in the wings while a less talented upperclassmen gets unlimited playing time because they are older? This is how a San Jose State wins 10 games with 2* players that grow up in the program, but not how a PAC 12 team gets better. This coaching style will actually turn off recruits, because they are under the impression that they must always sit behind upperclassmen, when they want to play, make impacts, and get to the NFL. Do not see this type of treatment at any other top 20 school. If an upperclassmen is legit and is pressured, then step up, or STEP ASIDE!

Amazing to hear the points about the talent that Landman has and the assumption that he will not get the snaps because Gamboa is in his way? An entire article was written about how impactful he was and how good he looked in about 20 snaps! I thought he looked dynamic, and most of the time I think Gamboa has grown roots into the ground.

There was an article recently about the amazing ability of Juwann Winfree, but he only got snaps because of Fields injury

Oh, and another article about the explosive ability of Shenault to catch deep balls, and the obvious NFL body he has, despite how few snaps he has had.

Spot a trend here folks!!!

Why on earth does Mac create this environment where a more talented underclassmen MUST remain in the wings while a less talented upperclassmen gets unlimited playing time because they are older? This is how a San Jose State wins 10 games with 2* players that grow up in the program, but not how a PAC 12 team gets better. This coaching style will actually turn off recruits, because they are under the impression that they must always sit behind upperclassmen, when they want to play, make impacts, and get to the NFL. Do not see this type of treatment at any other top 20 school. If an upperclassmen is legit and is pressured, then step up, or STEP ASIDE!

Do you know that MM tells his coaches who to play and when? You think he’s that detailed in the rotation lineup?

Do you know that MM tells his coaches who to play and when? You think he’s that detailed in the rotation lineup?
Mac is a sounding board and a film geek. If one of the coaches says he thinks a freshman should start to get more and more snaps then I am sure Mac would approve/disapprove based on the film. No he probably isn't going up to coaches and saying this guy needs to play and this guy doesn't.

Landham is flashing some talent, I'd say get him as many snaps as possible. If that means subbing him in for Gamboa, do it, if he's better in certain situations. That is who he'd come in for right? Not really sure.

Coaches can get myopic when it comes to talent. Maybe it’s because they have huge egos and don’t want to admit they are wrong about “their guy.”

Landman is showing a lot of talent, but I honestly can't tell if he can cover better than Gamboa yet. If he can, then Landman should start next year. No offense to Gamboa who plays with a lot of heart, he just has limited athletic ability.

Back