What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Basketball/Volleyball Facility

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205040224&DB_OEM_ID=600

Video of the "Topping Off" ceremony that celebrated putting the roof on.

And the article says that we're on schedule and maybe even ahead. :thumbsup:

"Taking advantage of gorgeous Colorado weather this summer and fall, and no major construction related setbacks, the facility is well on schedule to meet its target opening date of August 2011, just prior to the beginning of fall training camp for volleyball."

image.jpg

Foundation is in and things are going up.

Posting to this page now

Awesome. Seeing those purple wall panels going up which means the stones that will make up the exterior walls will be going up sooner than later. I saw the same thing with the new St. Anthony central hospital that just finished construction in Lakewood and will open next year and I work just across the street from it.

The side of the facility is gonna be pretty bland with no windows or anything. Hopefully they add a huge banner or something at the end

I agree would have liked to see some windows on that northern side where they are doing the wrap right now. If they don't do a banner they could hide it with some mature trees along the side.

I'd venture a guess that they're actually well ahead of schedule at this point. Obviously there hasn't been any interior work done, but they're at a point where they can start working on the interior if they want to. It's fun watching this go up. They're doing nice work.

Looks like a bunch of HVAC stuff is going in on the roof, too. They're making the "windows" on the North side, too. I'm very impressed with the way this project has moved.

for those who havent been during the day... i think i see the stone right around the roof line can anyone verify?

Ceramic shingles going in on the roof today. If they do have HVAC operational, they'll start working on the inside pretty soon, if not already.

Getting ready to go back to school for a M Arch degree in about another year. I've been taking a lot of drafting and art classes on nights after work and on the weekends to get my app ready to go so I love checking out the construction cam from work. Can't tell from the cam but question for you guys in the area that have seen it up close.....are those in fact "windows" or are they indentations like Youngbuff said?

Getting ready to go back to school for a M Arch degree in about another year. I've been taking a lot of drafting and art classes on nights after work and on the weekends to get my app ready to go so I love checking out the construction cam from work. Can't tell from the cam but question for you guys in the area that have seen it up close.....are those in fact "windows" or are they indentations like Youngbuff said?

congrats dude. right on.

now, assume that since they are building the facility on the edge of the CEC that we are married to the Foam Dome for as long as the practice facility remains viable. not so hot on that idea in the big pic. i still fantasize about a 9000 seat basketball only gym....built for basketball sightlines, central scoreboard and not seeing Van Halen or the Doobie Bros circa 1980 (like the Foam Dome).

Thanks Mick! Yeah after 4 years in the army and another 3 in insurance I've got to do something that I love.... money and job security be damned.

I agree with your sentiments on the Foam Dome its not horrible but its about as vanilla as you could possibly get, quite a starch comparison to Old Folsom which has such great bones and a unique character... I haven't been to Boulder in 8 yrs now but I'm guessing structurally that a center court scoreboard is not doable otherwise they would have opted for this route? CSU just got one in Moby this year. Outside of finishing the the exterior with sandstone and maybe enclosing some of the outside walk areas with a prominade for vendor upgrades I'm not sure what else you can really do there. I think trying to pop the top would cost more than it did to build the damn thing.

I just hope they gets the steps in soon. I am getting sick of walking around and up the ramp.

Congrats. I really hope it works out for you, takes some guts to enter that industry in its present state. Good luck.

There is a window in the lower wall on the back end of the building. Its the black square in the rendering. The other parts along the main expanse of stone are false windows. They are stacks of big sandstone squares framed by precast concrete. I think they just wanted to break up the wall since its so long. No windows on this wall though because it is one of the gyms. There are windows up under the roof line though at the center of the building

Thanks Mick! Yeah after 4 years in the army and another 3 in insurance I've got to do something that I love.... money and job security be damned.

I agree with your sentiments on the Foam Dome its not horrible but its about as vanilla as you could possibly get, quite a starch comparison to Old Folsom which has such great bones and a unique character... I haven't been to Boulder in 8 yrs now but I'm guessing structurally that a center court scoreboard is not doable otherwise they would have opted for this route? CSU just got one in Moby this year. Outside of finishing the the exterior with sandstone and maybe enclosing some of the outside walk areas with a prominade for vendor upgrades I'm not sure what else you can really do there. I think trying to pop the top would cost more than it did to build the damn thing.

there's nothing real bad about the CEC. it's pretty vanilla as you say....and it hasn't changed a lick since my pops started taking me there in the early 80's. i walk in and it's a total flashback. wasn't that long ago, even, that the color trim was still Fairbanks blue and gold. ugh. but, not a bad seat really. i think if CU could rethink the whole land-use picture, the CEC and Kittridge dorms would be all different today.

i think it would be great if CU and the AD would take the perspective that "hey, we got our money's worth out of the CEC" when we built it in 1979 or whatever....and time to build a new gym. i guarantee having a new gym (like Missouri or ATM) brings an instant impact in recruiting and fan attendance. but, i'm dreaming.

i think it would be great if CU and the AD would take the perspective that "hey, we got our money's worth out of the CEC" when we built it in 1979 or whatever....and time to build a new gym. i guarantee having a new gym (like Missouri or ATM) brings an instant impact in recruiting and fan attendance. but, i'm dreaming.

I don't think a new gym is necessary. A major renovation of the CEC would be appropriate, though. Put in a second level and widen the floor area so that an ice rink can go in. That would allow them to do a bunch of stuff they can't now. If they can get to the point where they're consistently putting 11K into the CEC, an expansion would be appropriate.

I don't think a new gym is necessary. A major renovation of the CEC would be appropriate, though. Put in a second level and widen the floor area so that an ice rink can go in. That would allow them to do a bunch of stuff they can't now. If they can get to the point where they're consistently putting 11K into the CEC, an expansion would be appropriate.

widening the floor would also allow them to put in temporary bleachers around the court for the students. Arkansas does that with their facility and so do a lot of other schools. And it is effing AWESOME!

i mean a new gym, not a bigger one. ideally, a new CU gym would seat around 10,000 along the lines of the newish USC and UVa gyms. i don't think you could justify more. if there's demand, the ticket prices go up and the AD is fine with a full house every night. i think you can point to ATM success this decade and Mizzou's resurgence (after being fallow) as having not everything to do (hiring a non imbecile coach....Tony Barone, Mevlin Watkins, Quin) with but a lot with a new gym fans want to attend vs. a cookie cutter like the Hearnes Center. but, like i say above, minus the obvious in terms of concessions or a concourse, exterior appeal, the ecstasy of poured concrete as an interior theme...the CEC has fine bones as it were.

:nod: Yup

We need to get the season ticket back up over 6k before we even think about expansion. Until we get to the point where students are in a lottery or sleeping out in line for their seats... until we get to a point where you can't get a seat with chair back unless you own a season ticket of pay a premium for a scalped one... until CU basketball has enough cache that we can sell through an upper level of club seats and luxury boxes... then what we have is just fine.

We need to get the season ticket back up over 6k before we even think about expansion. Until we get to the point where students are in a lottery or sleeping out in line for their seats... until we get to a point where you can't get a seat with chair back unless you own a season ticket of pay a premium for a scalped one... until CU basketball has enough cache that we can sell through an upper level of club seats and luxury boxes... then what we have is just fine once they put in video screens in the middle of the floor and start showing effing replays during the game.
fifcompleteness

We need to get the season ticket back up over 6k before we even think about expansion. Until we get to the point where students are in a lottery or sleeping out in line for their seats... until we get to a point where you can't get a seat with chair back unless you own a season ticket of pay a premium for a scalped one... until CU basketball has enough cache that we can sell through an upper level of club seats and luxury boxes... then what we have is just fine.

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all. I may be crazy, but I think Boyle is the real deal. I think we're on the cusp of something special with CU basketball. Sure, we've lost a few in the Big 12, but I maintain that the Big 12 is probably the best top to bottom basketball conference in the country. I really like our chances in the Pac 12.

Yep. They are trying a new construction method by laying the stone from the top down.

**** you Alzheimer... i'm not an engineer... plus look at the image at day light it could be the angle...but looks like the indentation area has stone...

Last edited:
Back