What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Bill to allow multi-year contracts for coaches in CO (NOW A LAW!)

@MtnBuff
This has never been an issue for university of Colorado health. They are not employed by the hospital or school, but by a 3rd party. Something that CU could have done with a rich benefactor. Year to year deal with the AD, 3 year deal with a separate company. Heck a company could just hire coaches and the school pay X rate for the services.

Thanks for the answer, that makes a lot of sense.

I still wonder if the contract limitations have an impact on the other campuses in attracting people for some positions.

Thanks for the answer, that makes a lot of sense.

I still wonder if the contract limitations have an impact on the other campuses in attracting people for some positions.
I'm pretty sure that they do have effects outside of athletics.

If I remember correctly, on the academic side, the school could also only have 5 long term contracts. In Boulder, a couple went to admin types (Chancellor/Deans), but several went toward wooing and keeping the various Nobel prize winners on campus. I also vaguely remember a highly touted/prize winning professor leaving CU and publicly citing the lack of a long term contract as one of the reasons - now, the rumors were that the lack of a long term contract was just a convenient excuse for everyone to "amicably" part ways, so I would take that story with a grain of salt.

Tenure can cover a lot for professors (especially because it can be granted straight out of the box when you first hire a professor if the school wants to), but the lack of long term contracts definitely can play a part in admin type positions.

Start with the premise that many (most?) schools/universities have budget issues, so it's a specter that everyone operates under. Now... you're given the choice between being the dean of admissions at a school that just got past a series of budget cuts, but there may be more in future, and they are offering you a 3 year contract, or one that also has had recent cuts and might be looking at future cuts, but they can only offer you a 1 year contract, what do you choose?

To try and say that it doesn't make (and hasn't made) a difference is whistling in the dark.

It will undergo it's second reading tomorrow in the Senate chamber. I'm not exactly sure what that means but assume it will be the newest version of the bill as amended by the committee. Tomorrow, Feb. 7, is a big day for this bill.

I got this from the Bell Policy Center:

Bills that are passed out of committee return to the House or Senate floor for a second reading. This is a key point in the legislative process when legislators may make substantial amendments. Bills can be either passed, amended and passed, defeated, laid over until another day or referred back to committee for more work.

The final and official recorded vote occurs on the third reading. After a bill is passed by the Legislature, it is sent to the governor, who may sign it into law, let it take effect without his signature or veto the bill. For more information on the legislative process, visit the Legislative Council's General Resources web page.

How to testify on a bill:

The formation of public policy is public business, and public participation in committee hearings is welcomed. Information on committee assignments and scheduling of bills is available by calling the Legislature's Information Center at (303 )866-3055 or by visiting the Legislative Council home page.

To strengthen the health of democracy in Colorado, the Bell Policy Center encourages everyone to contact their state representative or senator and help shape state policy.

Last edited:
What's next? Sorry I'm bad at paying attention to state legislative procedures.

Just read on Scout from someone following it closely that assuming the bill progresses and then gets sponsored for a vote, we'd see it pass around August. That would mean its impact would be on the coaching hires and extensions that follow the 2017 season.

Does the JT situation make this more difficult for this to pass? We got out of paying JT money because he had a one year contract. We just let the contract run out instead of firing him and open the door for being sued later down the line for wrongful termination.

Does the JT situation make this more difficult for this to pass? We got out of paying JT money because he had a one year contract. We just let the contract run out instead of firing him and open the door for being sued later down the line for wrongful termination.
I can't imagine that situation would have any impact on this bill.

Just read on Scout from someone following it closely that assuming the bill progresses and then gets sponsored for a vote, we'd see it pass around August. That would mean its impact would be on the coaching hires and extensions that follow the 2017 season.

Don't think that's right. The legislative session adjourned May 11th in 2016. Looking at it, they're scheduled to adjourn May 10th this year. Pretty much all legislative work is done in CO in the first half of the year. Everything passed as a state law in Colorado in 2016 was done by May.

Edit: Last time they had a special session was in 2012. All work in that special session was done by the middle of June.

I hear what ur saying but I don't see anything wrongful about it. Should they have pulled the trigger quicker, probably so. I don't know everything that went into it though.

I can't imagine that situation would have any impact on this bill.

I hope you're correct. I am just trying to think why someone would vote against this. My concern is with the coaching turnover we have had since Barnett someone will point out how much we saved by not paying out assistant multi-year contracts once they were replaced.

I hope you're correct. I am just trying to think why someone would vote against this. My concern is with the coaching turnover we have had since Barnett someone will point out how much we saved by not paying out assistant multi-year contracts once they were replaced.

The important thing is who "we" is. "We" is not taxpayers. "We" is boosters and those who provide revenue to the athletic department.

The important thing is who "we" is. "We" is not taxpayers. "We" is boosters and those who provide revenue to the athletic department.

Excellent point, people need to be aware that just because they are state employees does not mean the state pays their salary. Comes from ticket sales and TV money.

That was my alter ego on the other board. I would pass before mid-May, when the session ends, and then go to the governor for signature, but could not take effect until August (due to some arcane legislative rules to do with the lack of a "safety clause", and you don't want me to go down the rabbit hole of historical "safety clause" abuse.)

That was my alter ego on the other board. I would pass before mid-May, when the session ends, and then go to the governor for signature, but could not take effect until August (due to some arcane legislative rules to do with the lack of a "safety clause", and you don't want me to go down the rabbit hole of historical "safety clause" abuse.)
Is it August 1st or July 1st? I thought the state fiscal year starts July 1st and almost all laws take effect with the fiscal year.

Is it August 1st or July 1st? I thought the state fiscal year starts July 1st and almost all laws take effect with the fiscal year.

90 days from the end of the legislative session, which is usually mid-May, which means mid-August.

90 days from the end of the legislative session, which is usually mid-May, which means mid-August.
Thanks, here the standard is start of fiscal year, which is July 1st. Except for tax bills which take effect on the calendar year.

Does anyone know if anybody in the state house who has voiced any opposition to this?

I would to love to know what their reasoning would be, if anyone had any thoughts against it.

Thanks, here the standard is start of fiscal year, which is July 1st. Except for tax bills which take effect on the calendar year.

I have seen bill take effect on four different types of effective dates. If there is a safety clause, they can be written so that they take effect upon signature of the governor, or they can be written to take effect on July 1. If no safety clause, it is 90 days from the end of the legislative session. And sometimes they put it off even longer to give interested government departments time to get ready to implement the law.

The third reading was "laid over daily" which means that it was pushed to the next day. This could continue to happen each day.

Is someone trying to make it go away?
Sometimes bills are laid over because of other pressing matters. Sometimes it is so sponsors can gin up the votes to be sure it will pass. Sometimes it is so a potential amendment can be worked out.
Hard to say on this bill.

giphy.gif

Next step is the Governor. He can either sign it into law, allow it to become law without his signature or veto it. It seems like this bill has bipartisan support so I'd be pretty shocked if it were to get the "V" word.

Next step is the Governor. He can either sign it into law, allow it to become law without his signature or veto it. It seems like this bill has bipartisan support so I'd be pretty shocked if it were to get the "V" word.

Not quite so fast. The next step is the House, where it will need to go through committee and another floor vote.

Back