What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
It sounds to me like Pendergast is waiting for an NFL position.

Even though he wanted the LSU job?

My read is that he doesn't want to have 2 years of consecutive unemployment on his resume but also demands a salary in the upper echelon of college DCs. That could mean he looks to the NFL where they can pay him a ton even if he's not DC. Or it means a P5 DC job, where the natural fit is the Pac-12 given his background.

Here's what Ringo had to say in his chat just now:

I talked with Mike MacIntyre this morning and he says he believes he is getting close. He plans to hire a DC and that person will have input on the other defensive assistant to come. I'll have more in a story on Buffzone later today. He would not comment on the departures of Baer and LaRussa.

Ringo also said this when asked if there is a chance Neinas could go:

Yes, I think there is a chance of that. Not saying it's a sure thing.

I'm trying to figure out if Ringo has heard some things and is holding back or if he's giving non-committal answers because he doesn't know anything and doesn't want to guess/be wrong.

Edit: My experience with Ringo is that his sources are the official lines of communication. He talks to the AD. He talks to the HC. He talks to the SID. He doesn't talk to boosters who may be involved in the search because they're paying the new DC's salary. At the end of Embree's last season, I asked him if CU might fire him and the response was "not a chance" because Bohn had given a vote of confidence and assured Embree he would be back (both Bohn and Embree were telling the CU beat writers this). Not a knock on Ringo. I trust his integrity and accuracy. I also keep in mind that he's prone to using the main line sources who are also the most likely to want to control the messaging and may have motivations to spin things or even give disinformation.

I'm trying to figure out if Ringo has heard some things and is holding back or if he's giving non-committal answers because he doesn't know anything and doesn't want to guess/be wrong.
Saying he has an article coming would suggest he knows something. However, my guess is he just knows exactly what he just said in the chat. He's a master at getting an "article" off a one sentence quote.

Not knowing anything hasn't prevented him in the past.

Edit: My experience with Ringo is that his sources are the official lines of communication. He talks to the AD. He talks to the HC. He talks to the SID. He doesn't talk to boosters who may be involved in the search because they're paying the new DC's salary. At the end of Embree's last season, I asked him if CU might fire him and the response was "not a chance" because Bohn had given a vote of confidence and assured Embree he would be back (both Bohn and Embree were telling the CU beat writers this). Not a knock on Ringo. I trust his integrity and accuracy. I also keep in mind that he's prone to using the main line sources who are also the most likely to want to control the messaging and may have motivations to spin things or even give disinformation.
He has not proven to have much inside scoop on most things Buffs so I opt for the latter.

He could be piecing together a story on this but just doesn't have enough yet or is waiting for the shoe to drop somewhere else that pulls it all together. The AD seems to have kept a tight lid on this. Perhaps excluding people who are known to be sources to Ringo and the press from knowing anything about this hire. Thus, he can't get scoop. Or scoop that he can verify through a 2nd source.

Would have liked Diaz too, though staying down south makes sense.Seems 80% of the DC talent is from the Southeast or East with no relationships out west.

Might be because the offenses out west are a career killer!

Seriously. You've got the schemes that revolutionized college football with Leach, RichRod and Oregon running Kelly's scheme. Then you've got guys like Petersen and Dykes... and you still have to be able to deal with Stanford, Utah and Oregon State having power schemes.

This is why I like Pendergast so much. He succeeded against this mine field. (It's also why I'd be happy with Nick Aliotti if he wanted to coach again. We need a quick fix.)

I don't anything about Pendergast. Would he be a big help in recruiting?
No, but almost every DC is going to be the same way. DC's like Durkin who can recruit and coordinate a defense (although that is a big question mark with Durkin) are in very high demand and will likely end up being at a big time program that we can't match at this point.

I don't anything about Pendergast. Would he be a big help in recruiting?

Nope.

He helps recruiting by winning us football games. We'd need to hire a talented recruiter for the open assistant position, I think.

No, but almost every DC is going to be the same way. DC's like Durkin who can recruit and coordinate a defense (although that is a big question mark with Durkin) are in very high demand and will likely end up being at a big time program that we can't match at this point.
yeah that makes sense. If we can't beat Texas tech for Gibbs chances are we cant beat Michigan/Harbaugh and co for Durkin. But my other thought is that if we got Durkin (somehow) chances are our defense would improve. Because let's be serious it can only go up from where it was last year. And also would bring excitement to the program!

Nope.

He helps recruiting by winning us football games. We'd need to hire a talented recruiter for the open assistant position, I think.

I think I would prefer Durkin over Pendergast. Still not sure. But I am sure that all I truly want is for the Buffs to start winning football games again.

Nope.

Here's a guess as to what's happening-With Lance Anderson out of consideration at Michigan, its pretty clear now that D.J. Durkin is going there. I think CU was ready to pull the trigger on Gibbs/Zac Spavital until Clancy Pendergast was passed over by the Hat last night. After being out of coaching this year, Pendergast knows he has to get back in the game, and he's negotiating with CU now. Three words for George and MacIntyre with this: PAY THE MAN.

Here's a guess as to what's happening-With Lance Anderson out of consideration at Michigan, its pretty clear now that D.J. Durkin is going there. I think CU was ready to pull the trigger on Gibbs/Zac Spavital until Clancy Pendergast was passed over by the Hat last night. After being out of coaching this year, Pendergast knows he has to get back in the game, and he's negotiating with CU now. Three words for George and MacIntyre with this: PAY THE MAN.

Is this now an accepted fact?

Is this now an accepted fact?
Apparently yes. It has been reported and I posted a link earlier that he was eliminated in part b/c the Madhatter did not like that CP had insufficient knowledge of the SEC and the recruiting footprint.

I was more under the impression that LSU wanted him. Literally within an hour of Chavis leaving, Pendergast's name was all over the local media, which I think indicates the interest was from LSU's end. I could be wrong.

Regardless, apparently it wasn't a "fit" and the only reason we've heard is geographic. Chavis is way more of a strategist than a recruiter and I doubt they viewed Pendergast any different. So the geographic reasoning seems, to me, to be more of an excuse to return to the NFL. My bet is on him taking any NFL position and likely never returning to the college game. I hope I'm wrong and he's announced as the new DC this afternoon.

Manny Diaz is scheduled to make an average of $600k per year for his 3 year deal as DC for Miss St. Is CU really ready to make a $1 mm/year commitment to their DC? Something tells me no. If CU was really prepared to make a million dollar per year investment in a DC, they would almost seemingly have their pick of the litter, right? Unless coaches view the CU job as too toxic and career hindering that even that amount of money isn't worth it. The amount offered/accepted/declined by various candidates could be very telling about what coaches think of CU's program.

Manny Diaz is scheduled to make an average of $600k per year for his 3 year deal as DC for Miss St. Is CU really ready to make a $1 mm/year commitment to their DC? Something tells me no. If CU was really prepared to make a million dollar per year investment in a DC, they would almost seemingly have their pick of the litter, right? Unless coaches view the CU job as too toxic and career hindering that even that amount of money isn't worth it. The amount offered/accepted/declined by various candidates could be very telling about what coaches think of CU's program.

Surprised to learn the salary at MSU is at $600k as the word is the coordinator salaries are going up.

Pendergast made $900k at USC in 2013. Harbaugh supposedly was offered $8m and said he wanted $5m per year so that he could use that additional $3m pool to get a world class pool. Up to $1m for our top coach is not unreasonably high. Now for an up and comer that is way too much but our 1st round of top 3 candidates were worthy of big paychecks.

You can buy a hot chick with money, but not one you'd want to marry.

Never was clear to me if we are offering up to $1M in salary or if we budgeted $1M to make a change....

Firing Baer and an assistant or 3, and hiring a guy for about $600k is probably in the $1M range. Maybe Adam clarified this?

Back