What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEW: Regents Meeting, Benson Decision, Investigation Report -- Monday, 6/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait for the Tumpkin trial to begin in a month. The timing of the HCMM contract announcement and the potential release of the investigation summary all coming out at the same time has the potential to be a media feeding frenzy. That has some potential to be a huge buzzkill just in time for pre-season football hype.
Again, a clinic on how not to handle a crisis.

Imagine if CU came out and said: We expect our employees to maintain the high standards of conduct our University requires. Mr. Tumpkin failed to do so and is no longer an employee. We are concerned about the allegations and the alleged victim's welfare. We have the utmost faith in the high integrity of our University employees as a whole and the Ath. Dept. in particular.

Then when the Tumpkin trial is going, CU can have this in the rearview mirror and say, the Courts will administer the resolution of the matter. But no, CU is going to continue the long streak of mismanaging its public relations.

Imagine if CU came out and said: We expect our employees to maintain the high standards of conduct our University requires. Mr. Tumpkin failed to do so and is no longer an employee. We are concerned about the allegations and the alleged victim's welfare. We have the utmost faith in the high integrity of our University employees as a whole and the Ath. Dept. in particular.

That would have been media suicide. CU would have been killed by the press if they issued that statement. Here are just a very small sample of the questions that CU would be asked.

- If you are concerned about the alleged victim's welfare, why didn't the university or any of it's employees do anything for the benefit of her welfare?

- You knew that Mr. Tumpkin had been accused of beating the living **** out of the alleged victim for two years, why did you promote Mr. Tumpkin for the bowl game?

- Why was the university keeping Mr. Tumpkin's attorney appraised of the ongoing situation before he was suspended? How does this show concern for the alleged victim?

- What is the university's "highest standard of conduct"? How far below protecting women from physical abuse is the "highest standard"?

There are dozens of worse questions that would be asked based on your suggested statement. You need to stick with your armchair quarterbacking and Sunday hangovers, leave the media management to others.

A trial seems particularly unlikely considering the circumstances of the case.

I'm not clear what the procedural schedule is at this point.

Wouldn't Tumpkin, his attorney, and the defendant's attorney want to wait and see the results of CU's investigation before entering into a plea bargain?

From a legal perspective on tumpkins criminal case, I think there is no tie to the University internal investigation. If his former girlfriend comes after the University wIth a civil action, a damning report would certainly help her. That said, I think it might be hard to demonstrate damages beyond emotional distress of having to wait on the staffs response.

Last edited:
From a legal perspective on tumpkkns criminal case, I think there is no tie to theUniversity internal investigation. If his former girlfriend comes after the University With a Civil action, a damning report would certainly help her. That said, I think it might be hard to demonstrate damages beyond emotional distress of having to wait on the staffs response.

That makes sense.

What does anyone know about upcoming scheduled dates on Tumpkin's docket?

I'm not clear what the procedural schedule is at this point.

Wouldn't Tumpkin, his attorney, and the defendant's attorney want to wait and see the results of CU's investigation before entering into a plea bargain?

I don't see why. What anyone at CU did or didn't do is irrelevant to his culpability. Just based on the circumstances it doesn't seem like a case for trial. What I mean is that since Tumpkin doesn't have a criminal record, his lawyer can probably negotiate a deal that keeps him out of jail.

I don't see why. What anyone at CU did or didn't do is irrelevant to his culpability. Just based on the circumstances it doesn't seem like a case for trial. What I mean is that since Tumpkin doesn't have a criminal record, his lawyer can probably negotiate a deal that keeps him out of jail.
Then Oregon can finally hire him.

What I mean is that since Tumpkin doesn't have a criminal record, his lawyer can probably negotiate a deal that keeps him out of jail.

Wow. I'm surprised by an assumption he might avoid jail time.

Is he currently free on bond, or has he been in lockup since the arrest?

Then when the Tumpkin trial is going, CU can have this in the rearview mirror and say, the Courts will administer the resolution of the matter. But no, CU is going to continue the long streak of mismanaging its public relations.
Good grief. No.

Just no.

Wow. I'm surprised by an assumption he might avoid jail time.

Is he currently free on bond, or has he been in lockup since the arrest?

In this kind of case, a lot depends on the victim. If she's not clamoring for prison, most prosecutors will go along. How much time did that Husker get for assaulting the cadet?

Interesting conversation I had with a friend of mine who is pretty close to the program. Basically, he seems to agree that the Regents punted to ball back to Benson. However, the feeling is that there are three Regent positions up for re-election this next cycle. Two of them have been very supportive of athletics, the other one being Ludwig. The anti-athletics faction (if there really is such a thing) needs one more vote to make things very uncomfortable for the department.
Basically, it's time for us to get politically active. I hate that we need to do that in order to protect something that benefits everybody. Problem is that there are certain Regents who are too ignorant to understand the realities of college athletics.

Interesting conversation I had with a friend of mine who is pretty close to the program. Basically, he seems to agree that the Regents punted to ball back to Benson. However, the feeling is that there are three Regent positions up for re-election this next cycle. Two of them have been very supportive of athletics, the other one being Ludwig. The anti-athletics faction (if there really is such a thing) needs one more vote to make things very uncomfortable for the department.
Basically, it's time for us to get politically active. I hate that we need to do that in order to protect something that benefits everybody. Problem is that there are certain Regents who are too ignorant to understand the realities of college athletics.

when is the election for those three seats?

How will this impact RG? Will he get tired of the school board not supporting his dept.? RG would be the largest loss, if any were to happen because of this wildfire.

the soft power of the administrative state at work, without checks and balances, and without law making through established process.

signed,

steve "go buffs" bannon

kidding aside, we're drawing to a close on this epic journey of self-flagellation and it appears we're only going to slightly wound and not kill ourselves. and, for that, we get to be grateful. hooray.

The way the coaches act, it seems like business as usual from afar. That's my hope anyway. Also hope this isn't a step on your dick moment when we hear whatever. Fix the problems in the process and keep it moving.

MM and RG will have both voluntarily moved on to better jobs within 3 years IMHO.

MM and RG will have both voluntarily moved on to better jobs within 3 years IMHO.

When President Benson (and DiStefano) steps down, the choice of the next president is critical.

A president and chancellor who are champions of sustainable excellence in athletics would make all the difference in hedging against other programs poaching MM and RG.

A bureaucrat politically motivated non-athletic president and chancellor would be a real setback.

This current group of Regents could very well be responsible for hiring the next president.

When President Benson (and DiStefano) steps down, the choice of the next president is critical.

A president and chancellor who are champions of sustainable excellence in athletics would make all the difference in hedging against other programs poaching MM and RG.

A bureaucrat politically motivated non-athletic president and chancellor would be a real setback.

This current group of Regents could very well be responsible for hiring the next president.

I'd still bet that the cake is already baked regardless. A couple more good seasons combined with the current Kangaroo Kourt will be enough. Enjoy the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back