What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEW: Regents Meeting, Benson Decision, Investigation Report -- Monday, 6/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what if someone send him an email alleging that a player did something? Like maybe a hit & run on some parked cars after a party. Should MM interview the player and maybe decide guilt/innocence/punishment on his own... or should he immediately forward that email to CUPD? Because I believe that a number of the regents and faculty would say that he should immediately go to the police.

That is a great question and much more relevant than your prenvious examples. What do you think MM should do in that situation?

That is a great question and much more relevant than your prenvious examples. What do you think MM should do in that situation?
Talk to the player and others who were at that party with him. Trust what they tell you.

Talk to the player and others who were at that party with him. Trust what they tell you.

Seems good to me.

While you are correct some may expect him to report every allegation, sanity does still generally win out. If a person cannot file a police report on a hit and run, that is mostly on them.

Seems good to me.

While you are correct some may expect him to report every allegation, sanity does still generally win out. If a person cannot file a police report on a hit and run, that is mostly on them.
I hope you're right. I have very little trust for a lot of folks at CU.

That said, the Regents & Benson navigated these waters very well. Everything was transparent and at the end of the day MacIntyre will be signing the contract extension while making a charitable donation that I wouldn't be surprised he and his wife had planned to make anyway.

There's going to be a lot of gray areas and MM will be siding in the report side on nearly every case.

At the end of the day, MM and RG have pretty much been vindicated by this report. Unfortunately that's not how it will play out in the press.

I hope you're right. I have very little trust for a lot of folks at CU.

That said, the Regents & Benson navigated these waters very well. Everything was transparent and at the end of the day MacIntyre will be signing the contract extension while making a charitable donation that I wouldn't be surprised he and his wife had planned to make anyway.

The Regents who would want MM to report everything are not going to get mileage out of minor situations.

And that's why I'm bringing up things like weed or underage drinking.

It's fine to say that no one expects MM or RG to report that stuff.

But when the sh!t hits the fan and we start Monday morning quarterbacking someone hurting people while driving under the influence, the non-reporting of those things will cause termination and lawsuits. Often, when we put people in positions of great responsibility we also put them in an impossible situation. Supposedly a father figure, but no one better find out that you're looking out for those for whom you're responsible instead of reporting them to authorities. I'm not even sure where the line is. Baylor and Penn State crossed the gray area line. Back in the day, Osborn did by hiding a gun in his safe. Barnett did by turning a blind eye to the parties. But I don't always want suspicion of a law being broken or even knowledge of a law being broken to be turned in. It's a balancing act. I suppose that RG/MM/PD miscalculated on this being one of the situations that should have been reported.

I'm sure that coaches know all this, though. Those in charge will pat you on the back, have you meet all the donors and throw life changing money at you for winning while you're avoiding scandal to hit the media. However, those same folks will throw you under the bus in their shock and outrage if something is unable to be kept in-house and becomes a big media story. That's the game. We are all guilty of that same shock & outrage b.s. -- whether we're talking about a sports program, a business or up to the level of the CIA or military actions. Get it done. We don't expect you to be a total Dudley Do-right, but don't ever let us know how the sausage is made.

I think there is a categorical distinction between PSU and CU. PSU happened over years. They had all the data and certainty and time they needed to act, but they chose not to. It also happened on school grounds and folks knew that it did for years. That was a moral failing. At CU there was uncertainty for a few weeks, then there was actionable data and then CU took action...but there was a better path they could've taken in those first weeks.

but I totally know what you are saying. In my meager experience, I have learned to appreciate organizations that hold leaders to a high standard, but who also realize that some failure is part of the process. To fail is just incumbent with any hard job...and that is just plain being honest about the way the world really is. After failure, the leader is coached, not publicly excoriated and fined and put on some kind of notice that just makes things worse. The team and process are corrected and we are all better than we were yesterday.

So in my mind MM and RG are shown that there was a better way and now they have better judgement for next time. We are open about a coaches job and we realize that there will always be some failures when dealing with the ****ing complex backgrounds of over 100 diverse young men and coaches. Transparency and trust. When someone messes up, they come forward cause they know they will get help to become better, not have their heads served to the righteously indignant. No cynicism.

If you set impossible standards; the leaders that meet them cheat. I think that is what you have in much of college football. Many coaches know that to keep their job they must play the university game in addition to their other games. Its cynical really and that's not what we want.

The massive irony is that the ivory tower sets unrealistic standards in order to appear righteous against inequity and immorality they see in the world (and especially in NCAA football) and by those standards they cause the immorality. That's the big fail with being impractical I guess.

So, what if one of our players was involved in a shooting and took the gun to Mac? What would he do? Hide it in his desk drawer?

So, what if one of our players was involved in a shooting and took the gun to Mac? What would he do? Hide it in his desk drawer?

I've wondered the same but never mentioned it because most here are too young to understand the reference.

ESPN article pretty neutral. Article comments from non-CU folks express shock that someone can sue their partner's employer for their partner's DV. The ridiculousness of this and the scary precedence it could bring might be obvious to most of the world despite the efforts of SI, The Denver Post and the Daily Camera.

ESPN article pretty neutral. Article comments from non-CU folks express shock that someone can sue their partner's employer for their partner's DV. The ridiculousness of this and the scary precedence it could bring might be obvious to most of the world despite the efforts of SI, The Denver Post and the Daily Camera.

The potential for this is scary....what if I have a company with 1,000 employees for example and two of them are guilty of DV?

The potential for this is scary....what if I have a company with 1,000 employees for example and two of them are guilty of DV?

You can make up bull**** examples all day long, changes nothing. Come back and post about your company once you hit the 1,000 employee level.

Call company legal counsel and head of HR and let them do what they get paid for. 2 things MM, RG, and PD didn't do. It's not that complicated.

You can make up bull**** examples all day long, changes nothing. Come back and post about your company once you hit the 1,000 employee level.
I'm not making an example, but just curious how anyone can think it's OK for a DV victim to sue the offender's employer. I'm just confused as to why the employer should be liable for any damages.

Companies have no liability unless they fail to do the right thing.....they covered it up basically until after the stupid bowl game..idiotic. Turn it over to the damned police......

I had a secretary who kept falling down and getting hurt. Finally it escalated to a broken arm and black eye. Irony there was husband was a Sargent in the DPD. Under this theory I have to call the cops or my employer is responsible. It's stupid. These title nine provisions exists to protect student athletes. Not family members and aquantaces of employees. The scope of this interpretation is an over reach.

Companies have no liability unless they fail to do the right thing.....they covered it up basically until after the stupid bowl game..idiotic. Turn it over to the damned police......
"Fail to do the right thing"

By what definition? I honestly don't think CU failed to do the right thing in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back