What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NEW: Regents Meeting, Benson Decision, Investigation Report -- Monday, 6/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading Mac's reasoning, I get it. It's a little disappointing based off his beliefs and him being the only person she felt comfortable confiding on and him telling RG he was going to have Tumpkin call plays (notice how this got changed to put on RGs shoulders from what was said two months ago). But I think Mac didn't want to affect the team by blocking her and should have told her, I can't talk to you. A heartfelt personal note to her at that time or even now on his reasoning would help this.

CU is the outlet saying this wasn't a cover-up. We don't know exactly what Cozen O'Connor had to say on whether CU may have.

The thing I see is this, it could not be covered up the second she went to authorities and CU found out about it. Let's say this is Baylor, Mich St or some other situation where no one reports it to police but it finally comes out 2-3 years later. CU knows and nothing was done, then it looks worse. The woman did CU a favor by reporting in December. Think if she got to contract renewal time and saw CU gave Tumpkin DC. Even CU and Mac still said but there was no legal situation. IT DOES NOT MATTER, per his own CURRENT contract he must report to law enforcement and his supervisors any potential criminal activity involving a player or his own coaches. He did not.

That said, Mac deserves some heat but not the man to blame and deserves a contract extension with some heavy buyouts. George probably similar. Neither operated how they should have based off the OIEC training they were supposed to have. Which leads us to Phil.

Phil gets a vacation. 10 day suspension for a man that will never need another job? He should be gone. He has held staff to higher standards than he is holding himself. DiStefano should step down and take an early retirement package. He totally ****ed this up by not saying we need to report this to the OIEC. He caused it to turn into this mess.

And honestly, I bet if she had gone to the authorities herself, CU and it's football staff would have been incredibly sympathetic and would have provided her with a certain level of warmth that you seem to want. But by involving CU directly, that shuts that door quickly.
That makes zero sense. Part of CU and the OIEC job is to offer Victim's Assistance. They didn't do that until BDC article which was when all the other mess-ups had happened by. And again victim's don't go to authorities first for MANY reasons already explained 100x on these boards.

That makes zero sense. Part of CU and the OIEC job is to offer Victim's Assistance. They didn't do that until BDC article which was when all the other mess-ups had happened by. And again victim's don't go to authorities first for MANY reasons already explained 100x on these boards.
More in response to posters stating that Mac needed to personally comfort and suport the victim. The min she called him, that option goes out the door. Had she not contacted Mac, I'm sure he would have been the cuddly teddy bear people wanted him to be in this situation.

I don't know.

Biting would seem weird to me as "abuse", fwiw. That sounds like rough sex.
I think this will be a central theme of the defense based on the story given to the police when they showed up. Unfortunately for CU, this is lurid enough to keep the press all over this.

I think this will be a central theme of the defense based on the story given to the police when they showed up. Unfortunately for CU, this is lurid enough to keep the press all over this.
All probably true.

CU fans are not allowed to have nice things. I'm not sure what Pall we invited over the program from the 90's into 00's and teens but it's been one ****ed up thing after another. Case in point this situation. The fact that this situation is tarring and feathering the program after it's best season in over a decade, just takes the wind right out of my sails going into this season, really a critical one for the program moving forward. It's invited public scrutiny, hesitation/negativity in recruiting and infighting back into the program that was trudging forward uphill against so much adversity.

****ing hell. It's tiring going through this **** over and over. All because this lady wanted to call McIntrye vs. the police. Only in Boulder. JFC.

That was probably the biggest "WTF" moment I had reading the report. Not only did he take a while to inform university counsel, but he also seemed to undersell the gravity of the situation when he did inform counsel.

Yeah, I went back and read that part and it's ridiculous. Phil tells RG he'll get a hold of O'Rourke at the bowl game? Like 11 days from then? Pick up the f*ckin phone man.

CU fans are not allowed to have nice things. I'm not sure what Pall we invited over the program from the 90's into 00's and teens but it's been one ****ed up thing after another. Case in point this situation. The fact that this situation is tarring and feathering the program after it's best season in over a decade, just takes the wind right out of my sails going into this season, really a critical one for the program moving forward. It's invited public scrutiny, hesitation/negativity in recruiting and infighting back into the program that was trudging forward uphill against so much adversity.

****ing hell. It's tiring going through this **** over and over. All because this lady wanted to call McIntrye vs. the police. Only in Boulder. JFC.
What does not following procedures have to do with Boulder?

I applaud Benson, Salazar and the Regents for what appears to be a fair and transparent process and report.

What does not following procedures have to do with Boulder?

I applaud Benson, Salazar and the Regents for what appears to be a fair and transparent process and report.

Call the police. End of story. Who in a domestic violence issue calls perpetrators boss to tell them about the issue vs. the police? It's gotta be less than .050%.

Call the police. End of story. Who in a domestic violence issue calls perpetrators boss to tell them about the issue vs. the police? It's gotta be less than .050%.
A lot of them don't tell anybody out of fear, so it's better than nothing. She didn't want Tumpkin to lose his job because she feared for what he'd do if that happened.

A lot of them don't tell anybody out of fear, so it's better than nothing. She didn't want Tumpkin to lose his job because she feared for what he'd do if that happened.
Strange that most of the people expressing upsetness are most bothered by the fact that Tumpkin worked the bowl game as an assistant. :confused:

Strange that most of the people expressing upsetness are most bothered by the fact that Tumpkin worked the bowl game as an assistant. :confused:

In large part because people question the motivations behind him coaching in that game.

In large part because people question the motivations behind him coaching in that game.
They know the motivations. CU wanted to give itself the best chance to win the game. Given that there wasn't cause to suspend or fire JT at that time and he's going to be on the payroll, MacIntyre and George used the resources available to try their best to win. Some people think that's wrong for some reason.

Well I think that part relates to the fact that she had gone to the police at that point. And I think RG deserves a bit of blame there because he knew something was happening with a potential court order on the 21st when he talked to Baneshek, but didn't seem to grasp what that meant or communicate that to anyone else.

I'd add that RG's relationship and dialog with Baneshek was really problematic in this situation. It kept those two in a closed loop, and RG seemed to think Baneshek was there to help CU too, and that was not the case.

Last edited:
They know the motivations. CU wanted to give itself the best chance to win the game. Given that there wasn't cause to suspend or fire JT at that time and he's going to be on the payroll, MacIntyre and George used the resources available to try their best to win. Some people think that's wrong for some reason.

Shouldn't MacIntyre calling plays have been a desirable option?

Well I think that part relates to the fact that she had gone to the police at that point. And I think RG deserves a bit of blame there because he knew something was happening with a potential court order on the 21st when he talked to Baneshek, but didn't seem to grasp what that meant or communicate that to anyone else.
So he knew that something was potentially happening 8 days before the game. That doesn't mean that something had happened or would necessarily happen. Nor does it mean he knew what that "something" might be if something did happen.

When you don't know, you carry on with the task at hand with the resources available to you.

In hindsight, this needed to be the direction, and I can't understand why Mac and RG thought "elevating" (whether we like it or not, Tumpkin was elevated) a guy who they knew was going to come under investigation, was a good idea.

So he knew that something was potentially happening 8 days before the game. That doesn't mean that something had happened or would necessarily happen. Nor does it mean he knew what that "something" might be if something did happen.

When you don't know, you carry on with the task at hand with the resources available to you.

Or he should have gotten curious about it. He admitted as much in the report.

I don't know. I wasn't in the coach meetings. I don't know how things flowed on game day with the staff. Certainly weren't going to put HCMM up in the booth. He also hasn't called plays since 2009. And he wasn't working on the ground floor detail level with the defense all season. I'd assume that HCMM believed that doing things the way he did with JT taking over playcalling duties and LB responsibilities gave the team the best chance to win.

Does not matter what she did. The report is about procedures and process which three CU employees failed to follow.

I too wish she had called the police. But she didn't. Judgement and judiciary are still come to come. They are separate from the report and the process.

I don't know. I wasn't in the coach meetings. I don't know how things flowed on game day with the staff. Certainly weren't going to put HCMM up in the booth. He also hasn't called plays since 2009. And he wasn't working on the ground floor detail level with the defense all season. I'd assume that HCMM believed that doing things the way he did with JT taking over playcalling duties and LB responsibilities gave the team the best chance to win.
How could they not be forward looking to the public perception of giving him playcalling duties? Yes, the goal is to win a game, but they could have avoided a lot of scrutiny by just keeping his presence as low key as possible. Instead, they did the exact opposite and put his name all over the place after a high profile departure of Leavitt.

Then there is a disconnect in how MM is viewed on this board with regard to the defense. Either his role has been exaggerated or he should have been a legitimate option to call plays.

Come on, Mac....be a big boy and call the damned defense yourself!!! He should have:
--Forwarded ALL of this to the police WHILE passing it to leadership
--Suspended Tumpkin with Pay while the investigation occurred.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. He basically chose preparation for the gameversus doing the right thing. And in the end, our defense got rolled....Hawg1 could have been D-coordinator.

Do not feel good about our defense next year without Leavitt..we'll see...but it is clear that Leavitt and Mac had a conflict....and I personally believe that most of the turnaround was based on his motivational skills and coaching ability.

Mac made his bed....Mac and the admin made dumb choices....not defendable.

How could they not be forward looking to the public perception of giving him playcalling duties? Yes, the goal is to win a game, but they could have avoided a lot of scrutiny by just keeping his presence as low key as possible. Instead, they did the exact opposite and put his name all over the place after a high profile departure of Leavitt.
The media, including CU's internal media, was promoting Tumpkin. All the people around the program like Woelk, Adam and Howell were writing as if they were laying the groundwork for Tumpkin to be our next DC. They were clearly in the dark, so I assume that Plati had been kept in the dark. Why that Tumpkin for DC talk was pushed is a great question, but that wasn't coming from MacIntyre. MacIntyre squashed the idea that it was a promotion or an audition when he was asked about it.

As to the rest of the public perception thing: I don't want a coach making roster or staff or any other team decisions based on trying to craft public perception. **** that. It's how you end up with Rick Neuheisel grabbing headlines and positive pub for bringing Katie Hnida onto the team. That's not the job of the HC. His job is to win within the confines of avoiding NCAA penalties and keeping the team's academic performance high enough. I want him making decisions based on what gives his team the best chance to win. I don't want him making decisions based on what might look good to a general public -- especially when the general public he'd be trying to please aren't the people who attend games or donate money to the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back