What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL: How Does it Work? (Plus transfer rules)

I think there's a way to decouple football and basketball from the non-profit athletic department. And I believe that can be done without we fans noticing a difference.

I don't disagree. Miami's post that I responded to stated "CU struggles in the donations department across the board."

I was providing evidence to contradict that statement.

Yes, if we want to be elite, we need significantly more athletic donations. If we can be top 25-ish in endowment, why can't we be the same for athletic donations and budget?

It just takes focus.
I stand corrected. It seems it was something I had heard over and over and assumed to be true.

Most of this discussion seems to ignore some basic facts.

NIL: name image likeness. It means players may sell specific endorsements. This is what Bloom wanted to do. A collective payment fund is not an exchange of celebrity for marketing exposure.

Forming collectives is also not sharing the TV broadcast dollars that supposedly justified all of this. It’s additional funding pumped into the sport and is not about the original inequity of benefits that started this debate. If universities want to pay players, then make them employees. So far, the money going to players is not coming from the university or the TV ad revenue. It’s providing subsidized services for the entertainment industry. And, people will say, they were being paid before, just under the table. True, but I am confident that bringing it into the open has dramatically increased the level of these outside payments. Fan bases are falling over themselves to pay players now.

As for disassociation to avoid title IX, that would simply be an NFL minor league and would lose all the appeal that has led to the fan bases as they are now. Top donors wouldn’t be interested in funding a team that happens to play somewhere in Alabama. It’s because it’s related to the university that fans support it.

I think the fad will fade. What do people get for their dollars? If left as is, no one will win a championship that hasn’t in the last 20 years and teams will fall off the bottom end as inability to compete gets worse. No one outside the top 25 will garner enough interest or loyalty. The P4 will drop to P2 and the point of college athletics is destroyed.
Counterpoint, if FBS flies too close to the sun and destroys itself college athletics return to being what the most sentimental among us say they truly love about college athletics.

Counterpoint, if FBS flies too close to the sun and destroys itself college athletics return to being what the most sentimental among us say they truly love about college athletics.
It could. But I think there will still be an “elite” league that is essentially minor league NFL. I would prefer that the NFL form a development league and pay the players, but there is no incentive for them to do that.

Generally, this difficult situation was predictable the minute that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of NIL.

It could. But I think there will still be an “elite” league that is essentially minor league NFL. I would prefer that the NFL form a development league and pay the players, but there is no incentive for them to do that.
Already exists. Its called the SEC. Stale Educational Commitment.

A degree from CU will always be worth more.

I'm not sure how the pathway evolves, but maybe we end up with the NFL equivalent of the NBA G-League Ignite.

I think there's a way to decouple football and basketball from the non-profit athletic department. And I believe that can be done without we fans noticing a difference.
There will be no non-profit athletic departments without football and basketball.

y'all, I think this is big

Wednesday’s lawsuit against the NCAA, brought by the attorneys general from Tennessee and Virginia in federal court in Knoxville, feels far more direct. It asks the court to declare the NCAA’s ban discussion of NIL payments with recruits to be an illegal restraint of trade.

Essentially, it asks the court to end the fantasy. NCAA leaders want a world where highly sought-after recruits, be they coming out of high school or in the transfer portal, don’t consider how much they’ll be compensated before they choose a school. That world doesn’t exist. That world has never existed.

on3 link

I'd think revenues off the fb/bb would funnel to the university at some rate. The question is whether they would use that to sponsor a tennis team et al.
I have been working on a structure that is half Green Bay Packers and half Bundesliga where you create Quasi Franchises for CU Football, CU MBB, and possibly CU WBB

Athletic Department (51%) - <SPORT> Franchise Owner/Operator (25%) - Boosters/Fan Club (24%) - all working together to maximize opportunities

AD gets $80 Million per year from the Franchises to run all other sports under Title IV

• Boosters/Fans own a Certificate of each entity like the Packers do
  • Franchise Operators invest and operate the programs independently, but with oversight from the AD and the Fan Club on things such as tradition, brand, ethics, etc, but the franchise gets to operate the program as they see fit to compete for championships.
  • College Football, College Mens Basketball, and College Womens Basketball each form their own League and Championship Tournaments.
  • No more Conferences for these 3 sports, rather professional run organizations, like an MLS, NWSL, etc.
  • Conferences can go back to running all the other sports and focus on the total student athlete in those sports and possibly pay all of them a few more dollars.
  • Try hard to keep extra hands out of the kitty, like CFP or the Networks and create a League office that is ran by the PROGRAMS since they are the OWNERS.
  • Players are all paid a base wage per a salary system, plus bonuses for top players within Unionized structures.
  • Players have 2 year minimum contracts, then Free Agency, or longer contracts can be offered to try and keep players as long as possible. (I know that MBB might need 1 year contracts for 1 and done)
  • Players can all go get NIL, but cannot be swayed by NIL as fake Salary, must have legitimate representation and marketing output
  • This is a SPORTS APPRENTICESHIP situation, and players are required to Apprentice in Classes that make them a better overall Athlete, Performer, Artist, Brand, Financial Decision Maker, Public Speaker, and possibly future coaches and administrators. We all know that only 5%-10% will go PRO to the UFL or NFL or NBA/WNBA, but many others will have jobs in ancillary roles throughout the sports industries

The Colorado Football Franchise would be valued at $500 Million Dollars for initial valuation, the same as 48-72 other CFB Franchises for all the other P4 schools.

The AD retains the Ownership of the overall Entity (51% = $255,000,000), and Sells 49% off to the FRANCHISE ($125,000,000) and B Shares to us Fans/Boosters ($120,000,000 in $1,000 increment shares).

Franchise Leases Stadium, Gets Sponsors, Sells Tickets, etc... The $80 Million that is paid to the Schools Athletic Department comes from those sources and of course TV contracts. The more creative the Franchise Operator is, the more money it can make, but it cannot cheat the salary cap system or entice players in under the table means,

Off we go

I just saw that Steve Wozniak is this year's commencement speaker, and was a CU student in 1968 -69. Has an honorary engineering degree.
Talk about someone with deep pockets.
Maybe he'll start feeling "dear old CU".

I have been working on a structure that is half Green Bay Packers and half Bundesliga where you create Quasi Franchises for CU Football, CU MBB, and possibly CU WBB

Athletic Department (51%) - <SPORT> Franchise Owner/Operator (25%) - Boosters/Fan Club (24%) - all working together to maximize opportunities

AD gets $80 Million per year from the Franchises to run all other sports under Title IV

• Boosters/Fans own a Certificate of each entity like the Packers do
  • Franchise Operators invest and operate the programs independently, but with oversight from the AD and the Fan Club on things such as tradition, brand, ethics, etc, but the franchise gets to operate the program as they see fit to compete for championships.
  • College Football, College Mens Basketball, and College Womens Basketball each form their own League and Championship Tournaments.
  • No more Conferences for these 3 sports, rather professional run organizations, like an MLS, NWSL, etc.
  • Conferences can go back to running all the other sports and focus on the total student athlete in those sports and possibly pay all of them a few more dollars.
  • Try hard to keep extra hands out of the kitty, like CFP or the Networks and create a League office that is ran by the PROGRAMS since they are the OWNERS.
  • Players are all paid a base wage per a salary system, plus bonuses for top players within Unionized structures.
  • Players have 2 year minimum contracts, then Free Agency, or longer contracts can be offered to try and keep players as long as possible. (I know that MBB might need 1 year contracts for 1 and done)
  • Players can all go get NIL, but cannot be swayed by NIL as fake Salary, must have legitimate representation and marketing output
  • This is a SPORTS APPRENTICESHIP situation, and players are required to Apprentice in Classes that make them a better overall Athlete, Performer, Artist, Brand, Financial Decision Maker, Public Speaker, and possibly future coaches and administrators. We all know that only 5%-10% will go PRO to the UFL or NFL or NBA/WNBA, but many others will have jobs in ancillary roles throughout the sports industries

The Colorado Football Franchise would be valued at $500 Million Dollars for initial valuation, the same as 48-72 other CFB Franchises for all the other P4 schools.

The AD retains the Ownership of the overall Entity (51% = $255,000,000), and Sells 49% off to the FRANCHISE ($125,000,000) and B Shares to us Fans/Boosters ($120,000,000 in $1,000 increment shares).

Franchise Leases Stadium, Gets Sponsors, Sells Tickets, etc... The $80 Million that is paid to the Schools Athletic Department comes from those sources and of course TV contracts. The more creative the Franchise Operator is, the more money it can make, but it cannot cheat the salary cap system or entice players in under the table means,

Off we go

Commentary support for this

Personalized jerseys on the CU site, are noted as being "NIL Football Player" jerseys. Is this to explain the higher cost, as the player gets a share? Does CU get any extra bucks?

add: i wanted to compare jersey prices, but on the CU official site, the only game jerseys are for the Sanders brothers and Travis, which are all 'NIL' and expensive. Which makes it look like CU is cooperating, by saying, 'if you want to wear a CU football jersey, it must relate to 1 of those 3 guys, and they get a cut'. I'm okay with that, but a little surprised.

There is also a women's BB jersey, with the option to pick a player's name, which is also NIL related. I'm not understanding this.

Last edited:
Weird seeing national commercials with, I’m pretty sure, college players of whom I have zero clue who they are nor am I interested in whatever product it is they are hawking.

Yep. College athletics is doomed. Maybe not at the elite school level. But the less affluent programs will be priced out of the sports market. I could see these universities and colleges dropping sports altogether and going the club sports route. The offshoot is that thousands of kids will not be able to earn athletic scholarships.

Greed sucks. And all of these suits being brought against schools will only accelerate the demise.

Back