What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Now the dust is settled, who will be the redshirts from the 2013 class?

Which freshman will be the star newcomer in 2013-14?

• Tre'shaun Fletcher

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Wesley Gordon

Votes: 30 45.5%
  • Jaron Hopkins

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Chris Jenkins

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • George King

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Dustin Thomas

Votes: 5 7.6%

• Total voters
Stalzer and Talton will not redshirt. That's crazy talk.

As for the OP, my completely uninformed opinion is that if somebody redshirts, it'll be King. Depth on the front line will keep them from redshirting Thomas, which would be the next most logical candidate, IMO. Tad could want to space his frontcourt out a little more.

I agree in that I think Fletcher starts and contributes the most from what I saw on tape. I think Booker starts until mid season at which point another freshman takes his place. Thomas and King to redshirt?

After watching all the tapes again, I agree that King is the most likely redshirt, but it's still up in the air. I say the final end of the season rotation is:

5 - Scott
4 - XJ
3 - Fletcher
2 - Hopkins
1 - Dinwiddie

Bench

5 - Gordon
4 - Thomas
3 - Jenkins
2 - Booker
1 - Talton

Redshirt: King

Limited minutes: Mills, Stalzer, Nelson, Gamble

I would find it difficult to believe that he'd redshirt either talton or stalzer. Personally I thought talton came on good at the end of the season, and if I remember correctly he hit a few big 3's in games toward the end of the season (Zona, Quacks) at home. I think he got a little bit of confidence in his own game, which they mentioned during the season he said he was lacking. Redshirting him doenst make sense, and same for stazler as his ceiling is probably low, compared to the talent coming in - no sense it tying up a scholly on a 5th year.

I think king makes the most sense to get redshirted, esp after I read about his high school academics, saying that his junior year was "tragic" and the preceding years were worse. Yes, dre is gone, but he's got gordon coming in, who will help corral some of the boards dre got, as well as jelly and XJ - his production may not be needed now and he could use a year to get used to the rigors of the university.

I wouldnt be shocked to see a 2nd kid redshirted either, but I dont know who that would be.

I must be missing something with Hopkins, I dont see him starting this year. In fact, he seems most likely to RS IMO.

Was this said after watching his highlights?

Yes I've been watching his highlights for like a year and a half. If I were making statements like that w/o watching him I would just quit posting on this board. He can jump really high, don't see much else. Plus, he spends waaaaaaay too much time on Twitter.

After going back to watch some tape I think Thomas has the best shot at a "breakout" season. Fletcher may be more polished at his position but Thomas comes in at an area of need. Plus the kid can flat out shoot.

I see it something like this:

5 - Scott
4 - Gordon
3 - XJ
2 - Ski
1- Mayor

That is the strongest lineup, IMO.

I see it something like this:

5 - Scott
4 - Gordon
3 - XJ
2 - Ski
1- Mayor

That is the strongest lineup, IMO.

I absolutely disagree, that lineup needs an outside shooter which is why I think we see someone with more range play the 2. Unless ski starts shooting 40% from beyond the arc.

Yes I've been watching his highlights for like a year and a half. If I were making statements like that w/o watching him I would just quit posting on this board. He can jump really high, don't see much else. Plus, he spends waaaaaaay too much time on Twitter.

He's got a great handle. He finishes in traffic. He's long and plays quality defense. He has a quick first step.

I absolutely disagree, that lineup needs an outside shooter which is why I think we see someone with more range play the 2. Unless ski starts shooting 40% from beyond the arc.

There's 3 guys in that lineup who are capable 3-point shooters. Look how bad Marquette was at shooting the 3 last year. They had 3 guys shoot over 30% and one of those guys only shot 39 times. We already have better shooters than that without the '13 additions, and that's with Spencer and Ski shooting about 20% in conference play.

There's 3 guys in that lineup who are capable 3-point shooters. Look how bad Marquette was at shooting the 3 last year. They had 3 guys shoot over 30% and one of those guys only shot 39 times. We already have better shooters than that without the '13 additions, and that's with Spencer and Ski shooting about 20% in conference play.

Who are the three guys in the lineup? Dinwiddie and XJ are the only players we could rely on last year.

Also do you have a stat to backup your claim that Dinwiddie shot 20% from 3 during conference play? Because I really doubt that.

How far have we come when we have fans discussing the possibility of redshirting the consensus #1 player out of Arizona? :lol:

I'm a big fan of J-Hop. I actually believe he would have started for us in 2012-13 if he'd been able to leave high school early.

Dinwiddie, XJ, Scott should all play 30-35 MPG.

Unless someone else steps up ... Booker, Gordon, and one other player will get 20-25 MPG.

No more than 3 other players will get at most 15 MPG.

I think the third 20-25 MPG player is Thomas, as he fills multiple needs (size, shooting, attitude).

Talton will need to be playing somewhere from 12-15 MPG to allow Dinwiddie time to play off the ball or rest. I don't see Booker ever learning how to play within the offense, let alone run it.

Jenkins, Eli, Fletcher will all be fighting for the rest of the minutes, and whoever shoots the best will get the time. King and Hopkins will get even less time, and I think one or both will redshirt.

Mills will play if Gordon and Scott are in foul trouble and we are playing a big team. Maybe Kevin Nelson is better than we think and will steal some minutes somewhere, and Gamble will be happy to be on the roster.

Just my opinion, but that's how I am seeing it for now. It will probably change once we see them play together and once they actually figure it out on the court. Injuries and school need to be considered and we just don't know yet.

Who are the three guys in the lineup? Dinwiddie and XJ are the only players we could rely on last year.

Also do you have a stat to backup your claim that Dinwiddie shot 20% from 3 during conference play? Because I really doubt that.

0-3
1-8
1-3
2-6
0-3
1-2
0-1
1-3
2-4
0-2
4-4
2-5
2-7
1-6
1-5
1-5
2-5
2-8
=
23-80 or 29%

Just my math, not scientific.

I was just throwing a number out there. As you can see, it was 29%, so it wasn't good regardless, but I was still confident in him taking shots. He was 24-59 in the non-conference which was respectable.

He shot 43% as a freshman, so I have confidence he'll get his stroke back.

Ski shot 37% as a freshman and was 21-55 in non conference last year. I have confidence in him as well. He slumped through most of last year.

Dinwiddie, XJ, Scott should all play 30-35 MPG.

Unless someone else steps up ... Booker, Gordon, and one other player will get 20-25 MPG.

No more than 3 other players will get at most 15 MPG.

I think the third 20-25 MPG player is Thomas, as he fills multiple needs (size, shooting, attitude).

Talton will need to be playing somewhere from 12-15 MPG to allow Dinwiddie time to play off the ball or rest. I don't see Booker ever learning how to play within the offense, let alone run it.

Jenkins, Eli, Fletcher will all be fighting for the rest of the minutes, and whoever shoots the best will get the time. King and Hopkins will get even less time, and I think one or both will redshirt.

Mills will play if Gordon and Scott are in foul trouble and we are playing a big team. Maybe Kevin Nelson is better than we think and will steal some minutes somewhere, and Gamble will be happy to be on the roster.

Just my opinion, but that's how I am seeing it for now. It will probably change once we see them play together and once they actually figure it out on the court. Injuries and school need to be considered and we just don't know yet.

You realize that's a ton of minutes right? There's simply not that many guys averaging 35 minutes a game. Hell Doug McDermott and Mike Muscala, two guys who were by far their teams best players and relied upon heavily, only averaged 31.7 minutes a game. If you have quality depth, you absolutely use it.

Your model is very Louisville like. I like that, but hopefully we won't have to run 3 guys that much.

Last edited:

That is the same lineup as last year (minus dre) who looked lost on offense at times. I know you think 3 guys are capable, but nobody really feared our 3 point shooting because they would just pack the lane against us.

I am really high on J-hop as well. I have heard comparison of him being like Spencer, except maybe a bit more athletic.

You realize that's a ton of minutes right. There's simply not that many guys averaging over 30 minutes a game. Hell Doug McDermott and Mike Muscala, two guys who were by far their teams best players and relied upon heavily, only averaged 31.7 minutes a game. If you have quality depth, you absolutely use it.

Last season:

SD (32.5), Booker (31.8), Roberson (33) - That's 3 players with 30-35 MPG

Scott (28), XJ (24), Chen (23) - That's 3 players with 20-25 MPG.

Adams (11) is in the 12-15 part, while Eli (9), Shane H-T (8.7), Talton (7) are all in the "at most 15 MPG" category.

For comparison, the 2012-13 National Champion L'ville Cardinals roster broke down like this:

Siva (31), Smith (30), Dieng (31) - 3 players 30-35 MPG

Behanan (26), Hancock (22), Blackshear (20) - 3 players 20-25 MPG

Ware (16.6) is in the 12-15 part, while Harrell (16), Van Tresse (11), and Price (7.7) are all in the "at most 15 MPG" category.

Not sure what you're talking about.

I'll try to stick to listing ten names with 1-5 next to them ...

Last season:

Adams (11) is in the 12-15 part, while Eli (9), Shane H-T (8.7), Talton (7) are all in the "at most 15 MPG" category.

For comparison, the 2012-13 National Champion L'ville Cardinals roster broke down like this:

Ware (16.6) is in the 12-15 part, while Harrell (16), Van Tresse (11), and Price (7.7) are all in the "at most 15 MPG" category.

Last year's team really only went 4 deep though, so guys had to play a lot. This year, I wouldn't be surprised if Dinwiddie is the only one to average 30+ minutes. Even then, I'd expect him to be around 30-31. Scott and XJ will probably settle in the high 20's, similar to Scott last year. The last two starters will play in the neighborhood of 22-25 mpg, I would guess. That would leave room for two bench players to play 15-20 minutes, 2 more to play with 10-15, and possibly spot minutes for a 10th. I really don't think we'll see the starting 5 play close to 150 minutes, as you're suggesting.

How far have we come when we have fans discussing the possibility of redshirting the consensus #1 player out of Arizona? :lol:

I'm a big fan of J-Hop. I actually believe he would have started for us in 2012-13 if he'd been able to leave high school early.

That's what I was thinking. Hopkins would have started for us last year. His ballhandling and passing skills are elite, and he can create his own shots. A skill our team lacked in several games outside of Dinwiddie.

Well don't quit the board, but you're going against the grain here. He's our top rated recruit by ESPN, Rivals, etc. The excitement about this recruiting class has a lot to do with Hopkins. That's a harsh assessment that he's just a high jumper. He wouldn't make it into a Top 150 list with a narrow skill set.

That's what I was thinking. Hopkins would have started for us last year. His ballhandling and passing skills are elite, and he can create his own shots. A skill our team lacked in several games outside of Dinwiddie.

What's holding him back is the "combo guard" label.

He doesn't shoot quite well enough to be a true SG.
He isn't quite the unselfish distributor to be a true PG.

Kind of like this guy.

I guess my point isn't necessarily that Gordon should start, but he is more of a 4 than a 5 to me. So if other more knowledgeable posters want to go small and throw XJ in at the 4 and Hopkins or Jenkins at the 3, I'm okay by it. We all should hope Ski grows his game this summer. If he comes back stronger, we're gonna be real good.

What's holding him back is the "combo guard" label.

He doesn't shoot quite well enough to be a true SG.
He isn't quite the unselfish distributor to be a true PG.

Kind of like this guy.

I've always likened him to a poor mans Tony Wroten. Right down to the fact that their poorest attribute is their jump shot and free throw shooting.

Last season:

As Mattrob said, those guys averaged those minutes last year on a team that had absolutely no depth. We have depth now, and I expect literally all of those guys' minutes to go down outside of XJ who will be a starter from the first game of the year. I still expect SD to average over 30 minutes a game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was the only one.

I've always likened him to a poor mans Tony Wroten. Right down to the fact that their poorest attribute is their jump shot and free throw shooting.

That's a good call too. In the half court, Wroten never did much for me. But in the open court he was worth the price of admission. He should have stayed at UDub another year.

Can you imagine J-Hop and Ski as a guard unit for a few minute stretch in a game? We'd either have 5 turnovers or go on a 10-0 run. :lol:

I looked this up before the start of last season, going into last season no Tad Boyle (CU or UNC ) player ever averaged 80% of the available minutes (32 mins a game). After last season there is 1, Dinwiddie played 80.1% of the minutes last year. I don't foresee anybody playing 35 mins a game in the near future.

Last year's team really only went 4 deep though, so guys had to play a lot. This year, I wouldn't be surprised if Dinwiddie is the only one to average 30+ minutes. Even then, I'd expect him to be around 30-31. Scott and XJ will probably settle in the high 20's, similar to Scott last year. The last two starters will play in the neighborhood of 22-25 mpg, I would guess. That would leave room for two bench players to play 15-20 minutes, 2 more to play with 10-15, and possibly spot minutes for a 10th. I really don't think we'll see the starting 5 play close to 150 minutes, as you're suggesting.

I gave you an example of a deep and talented team, L'ville. What am I suggesting? I am simply looking at what is happening in college basketball everywhere, including CU. Most teams have about 3 players who play more than 30 minutes. Arizona was deep last season, right? Well big shock! 3 players had 30 or more MPG.

You are wrong about this.

Back