What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

noyer, lytle, montez, etc

That's not to say those two guys weren't given every chance to win the job.

That might be the view of some message board guys, not necessarily of all the players. I am not saying Liufau wouldn't have started in a true zero based competition , just that it wasn't a true open competition . The job was Liufau's to lose, again not the definition of an open competition .

I do know of walk-ons, at CU with the curent staff, that were flat out told that they were 4th on the depth chart instead of 2nd after showing during "competition" that they were the 2nd best player at that position at that time. The position coach told them that CU has an investment in the scholarship players so they would play first.

Coaches are humans that make human decisions. Not a knock, but it is a reality.

I do know of walk-ons, at CU with the curent staff, that were flat out told that they were 4th on the depth chart instead of 2nd after showing during "competition" that they were the 2nd best player at that position at that time. The position coach told them that CU has an investment in the scholarship players so they would play first.
I know walkons who say that too, but I write that off as delusional. My son was a walk on, as one example.
Moeller, Evans and our walk-on kicker have proven differently, although they probably didn't get the benefit of the doubt. But when it's clear cut, best player will play.

Noyer will definitely push Montez but SM adds more to the offense with his big play capability and mobility. Both will likely play next year though if this past season was any indication.

Noyer will not start one game at CU unless there is emergency attrition and numerous injuries. He is not a PAC 12 level QB period. Montez will be the starter next season and will remain the starter unless he is inured or plays so poorly he needs to be removed (think Sefo this year - he was not going to sit behind Montez despite the fact that Montez is a better pure QB than Sefo).

I like our QB situation going into next season. You have to be impressed with what Montez did when he had a week to prepare with the first team. Give him a whole Spring and Fall camp to get in sync with the receivers and he could be very dangerous. Noyer seems to me to be a career backup, but he will be given every opportunity to get playing time. Also keep in mind that it's pretty unusual for a starter to play every snap and Noyer will need to be ready to come into the game at any time. The competition in Spring 2018 will be intense with Lytle in the mix. Whoever the starter is in 2018 will have earned it and will have the respect of his teammates. 2018 is setting up to be another year like 2016.

I don't know that we can say anything about Noyer until we see him in action with and against P5 players. It may be that he is a career back-up but hopefully that is a result of the quality of the competition, not his limitations.

You are very correct about Montez and preparations. We have to put everything he did this season in the context of a kid who was in his first year of actual competition since playing in a HS league that isn't known for high levels of talent. Wouldn't be a surprise at all to see him make a major jump in the mental aspects of the game for next year.

Ideally Lytle will get the chance to RS next season. He did play against higher level competition in HS and with a higher level of coaching but that still isn't P5.

Noyer will not start one game at CU unless there is emergency attrition and numerous injuries. He is not a PAC 12 level QB period. Montez will be the starter next season and will remain the starter unless he is inured or plays so poorly he needs to be removed (think Sefo this year - he was not going to sit behind Montez despite the fact that Montez is a better pure QB than Sefo).
Based on what may I ask?

Based on what may I ask?

1. Skill level. I watched him in HS, check out his Sr. year stats and keep in mind the competition level. I was surprised CU offered and then kept the offer as the season progressed.
2. Open practices. He simply is not skilled for this level. By all means, check him out yourself, it is not difficult to determine that.

Noyer was generally considered to have had a very good fall camp from what I remember so I think you're off-base. I expect Montez to win it handily but Noyer's no slouch.

That's what I thought until I saw him at practices in the fall. Granted it was against backups but he is extremely accurate, has a quick release and anticipates very well. He is a lot better than most on here realize and will most definitely push Montez in the spring/fall.

1. Skill level. I watched him in HS, check out his Sr. year stats and keep in mind the competition level. I was surprised CU offered and then kept the offer as the season progressed.
2. Open practices. He simply is not skilled for this level. By all means, check him out yourself, it is not difficult to determine that.

Heard the exact opposite from people that cover this team.

You all are clearly forgetting that Tyler McGarry is now the best quarterback under six foot tall that threw less than 25 passes as a high school senior on the roster and it isn't even really close.

That's what I thought until I saw him at practices in the fall. Granted it was against backups but he is extremely accurate, has a quick release and anticipates very well. He is a lot better than most on here realize and will most definitely push Montez in the spring/fall.

I would love to be wrong here. Hopefully I am. Perhaps he is a late bloomer. While I am no expert in QB development, I was questioning why CU signed him after watching him play. I hope he turns out to be a solid QB. I am just stating what I saw of him in HS and a couple of open practice sessions (he could of course be a beast on a day to day basis, which none of us have seen yet).

I would love to be wrong here. Hopefully I am. Perhaps he is a late bloomer. While I am no expert in QB development, I was questioning why CU signed him after watching him play. I hope he turns out to be a solid QB. I am just stating what I saw of him in HS and a couple of open practice sessions (he could of course be a beast on a day to day basis, which none of us have seen yet).
He played about as good as he could have at the fall scrimmage. I can't even remember him missing a throw other than a deep one to Bounds who was actually open but Chev got mad because Bounds isn't a pass catching tight end and isn't someone you want to throw to in that situation.

I wasn't high on Noyer as a recruit either, but it seems like there was overwhelming positive reports on him from both insiders and people who just watched practices, so we shouldn't write him off because he had a ****ty offer list or played subpar Oregon HS football.

I wasn't high on Noyer as a recruit either, but it seems like there was overwhelming positive reports on him from both insiders and people who just watched practices, so we shouldn't write him off because he had a ****ty offer list or played subpar Oregon HS football.

Yep. I've heard positive reports. And what little I saw (open scrimmage and a couple practices), he looks the part and throws a nice ball. I didn't see any physical limitations or accuracy issues or arm strength issues. So I think it really comes down to whether he's doing all the stuff that the fans don's see with film study & workouts along with whether he's got it from a leadership, performing-under-pressure & decision-making aspect.

Yep. I've heard positive reports. And what little I saw (open scrimmage and a couple practices), he looks the part and throws a nice ball. I didn't see any physical limitations or accuracy issues or arm strength issues. So I think it really comes down to whether he's doing all the stuff that the fans don's see with film study & workouts along with whether he's got it from a leadership, performing-under-pressure & decision-making aspect.

A big part of the coaches job in recruiting is to be able to project where a recruit will be a couple years down the road instead of where they are as a HS player.

Plenty of guys set huge records in HS throwing the ball all over the field and lighting up scoreboards then do little to nothing in college. Fewer guys are less impressive in HS but become quality P5 QBs. Our hope is that Noyer happens to be one of these guys who turns into the quality guy in college. I think the coaches had a decent level of confidence in him to do so or they would have been more aggressive going after someone else in his class.

Nobody is 100% but this staff has a pretty good record of finding talent that others missed on.

I have been thinking about this for awhile now, but then I read an aritcle in the Post that mimicked my thoughts.

Montez is the incumbent starter next season, deservedly so.
However, what do we know about Noyer and Lytle that could put them in the mix?

My thoughts are that Lytle will be red shirted and Noyer gets a chance to push for starters minutes.
If Montez can play the way he did this season, he should win the starting job easily.

However, we don't really know much about Lytle to be fair in that assessment.

Anybody seen him in practcies or anything?
I will guarantee you that the staff is eyes wide open and are going to make it a wide open competition. I think Noyer and Lytle are going to be right there in the mix. I think Lytle is being underestimated. Being an early enrollee he will be a 220lb freshman that can sling it in spring. I don't think if it is him they will name him in Spring and make him work a bit more toward the Fall. Noyer has a year under his belt. Lytle has more tools as a freshman than all had coming in their first year and played tough competition in HS. Most QB starter don't get named until Summer or a few weeks before the season when the competition is tight. It will be. Noyer has skills. Montez looked solid in two games. Going to be a blast watching it go down. RS Freshman and Freshman are underestimated every year.

Ok, so based on that assessment (I don't necessarily agree) where do you have Lytle's film wise? How did Montez' film look in HS?

Last edited:
I saw Noyer's recruiting videos and I am excited for him as the backup QB. He needs to be ready due to how we use our QBs.

I like that our QB recruiting seems to have focused on putting a premium on accuracy the last 2 years. Noyer and Lytle are good sized guys who throw a very accurate and catchable ball. It all starts there at the QB position. Both remind me a lot more of Fales than they do of Sefo.
I think the pirate mentioned that accuracy is what makes a QB good.

I really can't decide who the starter is until I see the other guys play. I'll let you know, once I've made a decision.

I really can't decide who the starter is until I see the other guys play. I'll let you know, once I've made a decision.
Dammit why must you make us wait? Now I won't be able to sleep until after the Spring Game.

Weak sauce. Go get drunk, high, eat bad mexican food, etc . See your spirit animal, come up with a delusional narrative and share that here. It's the Allbuffs way.

Back