What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offense and WR's: Overrated?

Good or great will depend on coaching, and by extension, the leadership/coaching of Coach Chev, imo. The pieces are definitely there to be great.

As many have stated...it's up to Montez and the playcalling...he's inheriting the most talented offense we've had since I had hair.

I thought our receivers did work last year. Michigan has great DB talent and they still showed they could perform. If I am being honest though that is not the what I think will make this offense take a step forward though, I think it's about the run game and adding Montez to the mix so we can actually run the read option. I seriously want to see some two back shotgun sets with bish and Lindsay running a power off tackle and Montez having the option to keep if the defense collapses.

Obviously lindgren has had his issues with sticking to the run game before but he did take a step forward in that regard last season and hopefully it continues with the confidence in the line.

I thought our receivers did work last year. Michigan has great DB talent and they still showed they could perform. If I am being honest though that is not the what I think will make this offense take a step forward though, I think it's about the run game and adding Montez to the mix so we can actually run the read option. I seriously want to see some two back shotgun sets with bish and Lindsay running a power off tackle and Montez having the option to keep if the defense collapses.

Heh. I think we are in the minority, but I agree. Zone read could be lethal this season.

They are overrated because they don't have a proven real elite #1 WR. Lots of good pieces.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, Fields is damn good - but he hasn't been great in big games, and due to injury or something else, the WR corp wasn't awesome down the stretch last year and struggled to get open against elite defenses aside from 1 quarter against Michigan. USC, UW, not much there. IIRC they did ok against Utah.

What I'm saying is that they are a really good corp with a lot of depth, but that to be a top 5 unit, there has to be some real cream there. Is Fields a first round draft pick, or even a 2d round pick?
Fields gets most of the hype, but I'm not sure he's the second or even third best receiver on the team. I don't really have a rooting interest in who's best among them, as long as somebody gets open every play and El Passador finds the very best one - for that snap.

I don't think they are overrated, but playing in the PAC may cause some to over look them a bit. WhiIe I think they help a sophomore Montez shine, other QB's in the PAC will make their receiving corps look better than they are. As long as we get some W's, I don't much care.

Hoping I have to eat my words on this one, but think the hype for our offense might be getting excessive.

Points in last 7 games of 2016:
10, 20, 49 (Arizona),38 (WSU), 27, 10 and 8.

Prove me wrong, Buffs.

I think it will be a GOOD offense but seems like the hype is getting out of hand. Is this a GREAT offense?
F8uck you

I think a TE emerging could really take the offense from good to really good level. Not sure we have one on the roster, though. Hopefully Poplawski comes in ready to play or Keeney finally turns the light on.

You don't think Fields will be drafted? That's a pretty radical assertion
Is it radical? I honestly didn't think this was the consensus of opinion.
He's not physical at all and he disappears against the better teams (because he's not physical enough). He's good, but he's not NFL good (at least thus far).

Is it radical? I honestly didn't think this was the consensus of opinion.
He's not physical at all and he disappears against the better teams (because he's not physical enough). He's good, but he's not NFL good (at least thus far).
Possible. Productivity doesn't equal getting drafted. We saw that with Nelson Spruce (lack of straight line speed) and with Gabe Marks (size, physicality). I think, though, that Fields falls within the NFL range for physical traits while also having the productivity/film to go with it. He's not a freak like a 6'4" receiver clocking a sub 4.4 would be, though, so he's not a 1st round guy. That means somewhere from the 2nd round to priority UFA depending on how he tests, his health, and what sort of senior year he has.

I think a TE emerging could really take the offense from good to really good level. Not sure we have one on the roster, though. Hopefully Poplawski comes in ready to play or Keeney finally turns the light on.
Don't hold your breath. I can't understand why, but the TE position is simply a lost concept in this O.

Don't hold your breath. I can't understand why, but the TE position is simply a lost concept in this O.
I think we worry way too much about how much the TE is used in the passing game. Anyone who has played fantasy football knows how few teams have TEs who are difference makers.

I think we worry way too much about how much the TE is used in the passing game. Anyone who has played fantasy football knows how few teams have TEs who are difference makers.

I'm torn. It hard to find good college TEs, so why have an offense that relies on them. On the other hand, a TE can be a deadly weapon against most college defenses, so shouldn't CU try to find and use them.

I'm torn. It hard to find good college TEs, so why have an offense that relies on them. On the other hand, a TE can be a deadly weapon against most college defenses, so shouldn't CU try to find and use them.
We agree. And there's room in this offense's design to feature a TE if we have a guy who justifies that. Lindgren's pretty damn good at designing & modifying the playbook to fit the personnel strengths.

Not every game are you going to put up 35-45 points when you are playing a Pac 12 that has became better defensively but Ill go through your excercise:
Stanford: Road game and the offense left at least 9 points on the field with numerous missed FGs and offense not being able to punch it in. Sefo looked awful with less than a 50% completion rate. Run to Pass Ratio was nearly 2:1.
UCLA: The most undisciplined team CU has had since Embree and Hawkins years that night. Sefo again had no rhythm. It was an ugly, grind out game.
Arizona: To do THAT on the road is impressive. Especially after what they had done. Fields whooped their ass along with LINDSAY!
WSU: Offense was balanced and got them back in the game. Was easily Sefo's best game where he gutted out a tough win. I also think that was the last time he had any health. He was not the same after that game.
Utah: It was all on the line. 27 points vs a really solid Utah team with NFL players in secondary and up front.
Washington and Okie State: Sefo was hurt. Gutty dude but he should have turned the keys over to the truck at half of the Washington game. He had nothing left. Okie State he just still didn't seem right and the team didn't have that same gusto with their secondary unable to play. The whole team was down.

So why the WR hope and hype? This WR corp is unreal talented and has already shown that any of the Top 3 guys from last year can go for a 100. Add Winfree to the mix that was supposed to take Bobo out of playing time and catches from Fields and Ross last year and you see why. Oh, add KD Nixon's speed, Ento would have started for any Buffs team pre-2012 and you'll see why the hope and hype.

And as for the offense. I believe most people love Sefo but realize the ceiling on Montez is scary good. When he started, he looked dangerous. Against Washington he looked confident despite the two quick series but got the hook. OSU as I said, his teammates did him no favors and he looked fired up and pissed. Oh and I forgot to highlight, LINDSAY! Having him as a threat every play opens up this offense. This offense should be better this year because consistency should come with Lindsay and the QB dive won't be such a crutch because Montez is a more talented player than Sefo.

Maybe. Having a least the threat of production out of the TE just adds another thing for opposing defenses to worry about. Even us amateurs know what will happen when Eddy Lopez lines up as a TE.

Back