What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offense and WR's: Overrated?

wyomingBUFF

Hoping I have to eat my words on this one, but think the hype for our offense might be getting excessive.

Points in last 7 games of 2016:
10, 20, 49 (Arizona),38 (WSU), 27, 10 and 8.

Prove me wrong, Buffs.

I think it will be a GOOD offense but seems like the hype is getting out of hand. Is this a GREAT offense?

The hype is there because the offense was already good in 2016, and they only lost 2 starters and the passing game was hamstrung a little bit by a QB with a mediocre arm. Tough as hell, but mediocre arm talent. They return 4 OL starters, all the WRs and a RB that rushed for over 1,200 yards. Adding to that, a very physically gifted WR (Winfree), a more talented QB who saw significant playing time (and played fairly well), and then another year of mental and physical maturity in the S&C program.

Again, I'm with Duff. We will be improved if Montez can take care of the ball. I suspect we will have a better rushing attack with an improved OL, a better running threat at QB, even better WR blocking, and another year of perfecting the scheme. I think we can be an upper 3rd offense in the PAC12.

The O will go as far as Montez takes it. Its what we saw out of him last year that is fueling much of the optimism.

I think the D and the O will progress every week, a lot of new pieces. It'll take time but they'll get there.

The inability for Sefo to be simply removed - either by himself or the staff - from games where he was maimed (which were too many to count) really hurt our rhythm in the last two games especially.
Local press indicated one PAC 12 team made it through last season with their starter. They all get hurt. Going at least 2 deep is essential.

The inability for Sefo to be simply removed - either by himself or the staff - from games where he was maimed (which were too many to count) really hurt our rhythm in the last two games especially.
Certainly can't disagree with that.

Not trolling, just trying to be realistic and temper the KoolAid intake

We better hope the offense lives up to the hype. If it doesn't, we will have issues.

I put it more on the staff. Going back to CSU game last season, Sefo took a big hit late in a blowout for no reason. Getting Noyer time in the second and third non-conference games has to be a priority.

I put it more on the staff. Going back to CSU game last season, Sefo took a big hit late in a blowout for no reason. Getting Noyer time in the second and third non-conference games has to be a priority.

This, and this again.

I can understand why the staff wanted Sefo in there. He was a leader, he was tough, he knew what the staff wanted in every situation.

Unfortunately to imagine that your QB is going to stay healthy at this level is a fantasy, especially when you have a QB who took the kind of hits Sefo took. Clearly there were times when he wasn't just playing hurt, he was playing injured, he wasn't able to do the things he needed to do to be effective be that with his arm or his feet.

It would have done a lot more good for both Sefo and for Montez as well as the team to be willing to look at Sefo more often and say sit down and give your body a break.

No reason to have a starting QB taking hits when the game is already solidly in hand. No reason not to get your back-up as many live snaps as you can in that same situation. No reason not to recognize garbage time and get your 3rd guy some time as well.

I don't know if it is because they don't believe they actually have the game in hand or that the guy is hurting but this staff seems to wait to long to sub guys out.

Some of the stuff with Sefo could have been a deferral to the Senior, allowing him to stay a little longer in games just because he wanted to. The staff should be smarter than that, though.

The preseason koolaid is always strong this time of the year. Our offense started strong then started to sputter as last season went along and our defense helped us win the majority of those games last year. More concerned about how the defense will play this year.

Looking back on it (my impression at least), is a lot of the interceptions Montez threw were out of desperation – whether it was us playing from behind or him trying to make the most of his one series before Sefo hobbled back in the game. These should be greatly reduced this season.

Also, I have a weird feeling that Noyer is a gamer and may breakout if he gets the time. In my time as a Buff fan, I've never been more confident in our QB two deep. I laugh about the times when we had Wood or Gehrke in there (no offense to those guys).

Looking back on it (my impression at least), is a lot of the interceptions Montez threw were out of desperation – whether it was us playing from behind or him trying to make the most of his one series before Sefo hobbled back in the game. These should be greatly reduced this season.

Also, I have a weird feeling that Noyer is a gamer and may breakout if he gets the time. In my time as a Buff fan, I've never been more confident in our QB two deep. I laugh about the times when we had Wood or Gehrke in there (no offense to those guys).
My impressions of Montez's interceptions and struggles were that he didn't prepare himself except when he thought he was going to be a starter. Huge difference in his performance when he knew he was going to play and prepared for it (Oregon and USC) than when he came in after Sefo went down. The ability to prepare week in and week out is my only real concern with Montez.

How can they be overrated when they haven't played a down?

Is the hype too much? Possibly. But this is the best preseason offense we've fielded in over a decade so my hope that we are a top 20 offense remains until proven otherwise. Besides it's preseason...enjoy the Kool Aid!!!

There will probably be a game or two where Montez throws 4 or so interceptions. There will also be games where he lights it up with 4 plus touchdowns. CU will take some lumps with Montez this year. He could very well be in the top 3-4 QB's in conference by the end of the year. The rest of the offense is good to great and will be up there nationally.

It really boils down to Montez. He will sling it around and be some games where he wants people to punch the tv. There will also be moments where we wonder how he just did that. There is reason to be very excited for the offense, but I also think there are concerns with him.

They are overrated because they don't have a proven real elite #1 WR. Lots of good pieces.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, Fields is damn good - but he hasn't been great in big games, and due to injury or something else, the WR corp wasn't awesome down the stretch last year and struggled to get open against elite defenses aside from 1 quarter against Michigan. USC, UW, not much there. IIRC they did ok against Utah.

What I'm saying is that they are a really good corp with a lot of depth, but that to be a top 5 unit, there has to be some real cream there. Is Fields a first round draft pick, or even a 2d round pick?

They are overrated because they don't have a proven real elite #1 WR. Lots of good pieces.

Before anyone jumps on me, yes, Fields is damn good - but he hasn't been great in big games, and due to injury or something else, the WR corp wasn't awesome down the stretch last year and struggled to get open against elite defenses aside from 1 quarter against Michigan. USC, UW, not much there. IIRC they did ok against Utah.

What I'm saying is that they are a really good corp with a lot of depth, but that to be a top 5 unit, there has to be some real cream there. Is Fields a first round draft pick, or even a 2d round pick?

Would agree with this. As a receiving corps they have guys who can do everything but as individuals they don't have one guy who has shown he can do it all. Fields is a true deep threat but has been inconsistent at shorter stuff in the middle of the field. Other guys have been good on short to intermediate but inconsistent deep or with running after the catch.

In all still one of the top WR groups in the nation but not without their weaknesses. They don't have a true star yet.

180 degree opposite. I think we're underrated. I don't follow these things closely but I don't believe we're picked to win the P12 or the South again. We're not in anybody's pre-season top 20 or the top of any unit rankings on O or D. I think it suits our M. O. to fly under the radar.

Back