What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

Even if he doesn't start immediately, Arlington Hambright provides immediate big-guy depth and experience at a position of need. More than a coincidence: Newly-hired Buffs OLB Coach Brian Michalowski just happened to be Hambright's DC at Garden City (Kan.) Community College. Good and timely get for the Buffs.

You never know, but Hambright is almost certainly starting. You don’t grad transfer from a top 20 program to a new school to sit.

If Filip ends up leaving, we still have issues at tackle in 2020. Hopefully, Senn and Pohahau can redshirt and show enough to be ready the play. Otherwise, CU will be hitting the JUCO market again.

Thanks to this sweet move I’ll have to re-prognosticate:

With Fillip staying:

RT: Fillip, Lytle
RG: Sauvao, Lynott
C: Pursell, Jynes
LG: Sherman, Tonz
LT: Hambright, Moretti

With Fillip leaving:

RT: Sherman, Lytle
LG: Moretti, Tonz
LT: Hambright, Vaughn

LT: Albright, Sherman
LG: Sherman, Roddick, Kutsch, Tonz
C: Pursell, Lynott
RG: Sauavo, Lynott, Ray
RT: Filip, Sherman

I'm not counting on Lytle, Paige, or Vaughn to ever contribute

Thanks to this sweet move I’ll have to re-prognosticate:

With Fillip staying:

RT: Fillip, Lytle
LG: Sherman, Tonz
LT: Hambright, Moretti

With Fillip leaving:

RT: Sherman, Lytle
LG: Moretti, Tonz
LT: Hambright, Vaughn
Why is Moretti starting in the first lineup but not the second?

Not necessarily his job here, he is here to play well and hope to impress the NFL, but in addition to filling a huge hole in the line-up this is also a guy who is a veteran coming out of a top quality program with high expectations.

Even if he isn't a vocal leader (have no idea if he is or isn't) hoping he can be a solid influence on our younger guys about what it takes to win at the P5 level, not just play.

I think this dude has some confidence and is likely a leader based on his Twitter Handle "CALLMEPOPSSS" Sounds like a seasoned dude.
Welcome big guy, help us help you!!!

Wow! This is an amazing signing for the Buffs. Desperately needed and very appreciated.

Locking down the LT spot with a player of this caliber gives the O-line the anchor that it needs for everyone to play the position that best suits them naturally.

And I think we will see some more attrition from the ranks of the o-line too.

With a competitive group on the interior I feel comfortable with whoever rises to the top out of that mix. The only hole that appears now is the starting RT spot. I don't think it is fair or realistic to just put Sherman there and call it good.

Why is Moretti starting in the first lineup but not the second?
I really like Fillip, if he stays, to start for the next three years at tackle. In that scenario it comes down to starting Sherman or Moretti. I’m picking Sherman, in large part because of Moretti’s health, but believe he’ll see a lot of time. If Fillip were to leave he might be forced to start to get the five best out there.

I really like Fillip, if he stays, to start for the next three years at tackle. In that scenario it comes down to starting Sherman or Moretti. I’m picking Sherman, in large part because of Moretti’s health, but believe he’ll see a lot of time. If Fillip were to leave he might be forced to start to get the five best out there.
Sherman at C.

Why? Pursell is perhaps our best OL and one of the top C in the conference.
I think that overstates Pursell quite a bit. However, I do think he was solid in 2018. Now with a year of experience, he should become a good player in 2019. Works his ass off in the weight room and one of our strongest guys.

With Sherman, word is that he has blown up and is now around 300 lbs. I expect him to be a lot more effective in 2019 than he was in 2018 now that he won't be undersized.

I think if Sherman is moved inside to guard for fall camp that is a really good sign as to how the line and specifically the edges are progressing. If he is still outside we will struggle

I think that overstates Pursell quite a bit. However, I do think he was solid in 2018. Now with a year of experience, he should become a good player in 2019. Works his ass off in the weight room and one of our strongest guys.

With Sherman, word is that he has blown up and is now around 300 lbs. I expect him to be a lot more effective in 2019 than he was in 2018 now that he won't be undersized.

He was our top graded OL in 2018. I do understand that isn't necessarily a high bar. I do expect a large jump in his already solid performance in 2019 with the year of starting experience.

I don't think Sherman at C is out of the question eventually, but not sure they can afford to move him right now.

I think you see tackle-center-tackle as Hambright-Purcell-Sherman.

Starting guards seem much more up in the air, with decent competition.

Moretti is the wild card. He has the natural ability to be a standout at tackle, allowing Sherman to move inside. However, his health is still a major question mark going forward.

I am excited by the multiple options this staff has put in place in a short time frame. It will be nice to actually have options and not just prayer for no injury. I’m excited to see what Montez can do with better protection!

Why? Pursell is perhaps our best OL and one of the top C in the conference.
Undersized. Perhaps plateaued. Doesn’t handle mass well. He was good among many not so goods. Don’t believe the hype. Believe your eyes. He is not one of the best Cs in the conference. Great young man by all accounts. Hard worker. CU can do better at this position.

I think Lynott finishes strong. Full year of health in the weight room, Off Season conditioning, new coach, etc...

LT - Ham, Sherman
LG - Sauvao, Tonz
C - Pursell, Jynes
RG - Lynott, Ray
RT - Fillip, Moretti

I think the two deep is pretty pointless.
LT: Albright
LG: Sherman
C: Purcell
RG: Lynott
RT: Fillip (if he stays)

Then you have Sherman able to move out to tackle if there are injuries. Moretti if you first off the bench inside. Lynott is your backup center. Then competition determines who comes off after that between Sauovo, Ray and Roddick.

Honestly is Albright, Fillip and Sherman stay healthy and on the team we should be able to put a decent line out there. The biggest thing I will be watching is if Moretti, Ray, Roddick or Sauovo can push Lynott inside to center.

He was our top graded OL in 2018. I do understand that isn't necessarily a high bar. I do expect a large jump in his already solid performance in 2019 with the year of starting experience.
How many games at a Starting grade last year?

Moretti is the wild card. He has the natural ability to be a standout at tackle, allowing Sherman to move inside. However, his health is still a major question mark going forward.
I think the unfortunate reality here is that if Moretti can't consistently play healthy this year, his knee won't ever get to the point where he will be able to actually contribute meaningfully. This will be the 3rd year removed from his injury. I really hope he can be fully healthy because by all accounts he's a great kid with a great attitude/work ethic.

I think the unfortunate reality here is that if Moretti can't consistently play healthy this year, his knee won't ever get to the point where he will be able to actually contribute meaningfully. This will be the 3rd year removed from his injury. I really hope he can be fully healthy because by all accounts he's a great kid with a great attitude/work ethic.
Knee is healthy. Drop foot is the issue. Brace plus new procedure could bring hope. I won’t hold my breath. But, agree, this is the year if Jaylon Smith is the model.

Knee is healthy. Drop foot is the issue. Brace plus new procedure could bring hope. I won’t hold my breath. But, agree, this is the year if Jaylon Smith is the model.
Good to know, I thought the drop foot was only still occurring because the knee wasn't fully healthy.

I have nerve damage in a foot so I can somewhat relate to what he feels. Good news with him is the hope and expectation that over time his nerve will regenerate.

If it has since last season come back he could be a real factor at tackle. He played it in HS and had the lateral mobility needed in addition to being a beast physically, a healthy Moretti would easily be our best young tackle prospect (including Fillip) but if he doesn't have the feeling and control back yet then he needs to stay at guard.

Sherman is probably better suited for guard than tackle but he is athletic enough to play outside and I expect him to be there. It would be good if Fillip is with us and has stepped up but last season he wasn't ready and if he hasn't been in the weight room and the full program this off-season I see him coming in still needed some bulk and physical development. He looks to have great potential for the future but don't get excited about him this year until we see it.

Sauvao and Hambright should be set as the other G and LT and I expect Purcell to be our center. As I stated before he is young and still developing, very reasonable to expect a bigger, more physical player this year on top of his good technical work last year.

Lynott struggled last year with his ankle. With repeated injuries it may never be right but he is a tough guy with a lot of desire. With an off-season to heal and do physical therapy I hope for him to be healthier and ready to go.

Overall considering where we were at the end of last season on the OL it looks like MT and his staff have been very busy making lemonaide out of a bag of lemons. It will be a work in progress and we have to hope for some luck on the injury front but we should have a much more physical OL this season that is also much more experienced.

I also hope to see much more rotation of players on the OL this year, both to keep guys fresher and healthier and also to advance the development of the young guys. One of my issues with MM and his staff was how often an injury or graduation forced us to plug in guys who had little to no real experience because he wouldn't use opportunities to play younger guys.

The addition of Hambright gives the OL a little depth for once. Very nice addition.

Back