What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

The thought of Hambright and Moretti on the left side of the line is about as good as it could get. Sherman is going to be a monster next year with the added size.

Hambright
Moretti
Purcell/Lynott
Suavo/Lynott
Sherman
That would be awesome. I just keep thinking if things go great we could possibly have a line of Hambright, suavo/ray/roddick, lynott, Sherman and moretti at RT. There is some serious talent there and potentially a lot of size with the changes in philosophy in the weight room and training table.

In the past 3 years our o-line has been average at best as a whole; even during the 2016 season. The grades during that time for the O-line have been an average of 2.44 (note this is the past CU staff's grading scale) and that was considered in the "average" range. Last year there wasn't anyone that played well enough to be exempt from criticism: they allowed a ton of sacks, pressures, and committed penalties all at atrocious rates. Clearly the coach takes the blame but that doesn't give the players a "free pass" and expect starting positions either.

The scoring system was:
0.00 - 1.90 Phenomenal performance
1.91 - 2.09 All-Conference caliber
2.10 - 2.25 Starter caliber
2.26 - 2.40 Above Average
2.41 - 2.60 Average
2.61 - 4.00 Below Average
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

During this time period Irwin was our best performer with a 2.30 grade (considered "above average" on the scale). The next best was Kough with a 2.33 also above average. The only other player to post a sub-2.40 score during this time was Sam Kronshage in 2016 and that was in a half time role

Lynott for his 3 years' scores a 2.45 (best season was a 2.40 in 2016).

Last year Sherman's rating was the best on the team with a 2.45, nobody else with any significant snaps was below a 2.50 and most of them were pushing the "below average" scoring range (Fillip was below average with a 2.66). Moretti, in very limited snaps scored a 2.50 which would rank him 2nd behind Sherman.

I like to look at "net impact plays" as a percentage of their snaps. This would still rank Irwin and Kough as the "top of the class" but shows that Lynott is right behind them and that nobody else with any meaningful snaps scored well there either.

I like Pursell and think he can certainly develop into a good center. He was a redshirt freshman last year and there is plenty of room to develop. But he wasn't playing lights out last year (and neither was Sherman). We took a step back at center when we lost Kelley and then another step back when Huckins left to Pursell in any metric. There were multiple times last season that I felt that Lynott was trying to help Pursell out only to get beat himself. We should not have been in a position to need redshirt freshman that weren't ready for P5 football playing at left tackle and center. They both were thrown in the deep end of the pool; the Isaac Miller injury hurt us bad at tackle and the lack of recruiting in years past bit us in the butt.

In my opinion the most talented players are: Lynott, Hambright, and Moretti. Nobody else has proven to be "starter" quality yet. Sherman and Pursell if they develop and improve in the offseason are certainly in good positions and closing the gap, but I don't think it should be taken for granted that they are the "dudes" just yet.

I also really like what Sauvao brings to the table but I have a hard time getting my hopes up for a JuCo guy; he might need a redshirt season to acclimate to P5 football.

Hambright is a "dude", it lists a 4.8 forty-yard dash at his size and with those guns! Can't wait!

LT - Hambright, Fillip
LG - Sherman, Tonz
C - Pursell, Lynott/Sherman
RG - Lynott, Kutsch
RT - Moretti, Fillip

I remember the hype on Moretti last season. IIRC he never played that much. I have heard that he is quite talented. My question is why is there so much hype? His 100 percent recovery is a long shot.

I remember the hype on Moretti last season. IIRC he never played that much. I have heard that he is quite talented. My question is why is there so much hype? His 100 percent recovery is a long shot.

Because he was our highest rated recruit since 2012, was ranked the #12 OT in his class, and had offers from just about everywhere.

I have a hard time thinking Sauvao doesn’t start, unless he just isn’t ready yet. Maybe the old Lynott shows up and holds him off. Either way it’s a win. I couldn’t ever forget this quote about Sauvao:

“He has great size and combined with his physical nature, he is powerful in the run game and does not get pushed around in pass protection,” Stivers said. “It was fun watching Mustafa (Noel-Johnson) and Vaa battle in practice, 1-on-1s."

Stivers said the coaching staff had to keep Sauvao’s strength and intensity in check during workouts and practices.

“He arrived with great size and came to us overweight, but extremely physical,” Stivers said. “When he started practicing with us, we had defensive coaches asking for him to calm down because they were afraid he was going to hurt somebody.“

When is the last time something like that has been said about one of our OL? Him and Mustafa are going to resume their battles in practice I suppose. For the first time in a few years I’m truly optimistic.

LT Hambright, Moretti, Vaughn
LG Sherman, Moretti, Tonz
OC Pursell, Lynott, Jynes
RG Sauvao, Lynott, Kutsch
RT Fillip, Lytle, Shutack

If Moretti is healthy enough to win a starting job anywhere on this line that’s a huge plus!

I have a hard time thinking Sauvao doesn’t start, unless he just isn’t ready yet. Maybe the old Lynott shows up and holds him off. Either way it’s a win. I couldn’t ever forget this quote about Sauvao:

“He has great size and combined with his physical nature, he is powerful in the run game and does not get pushed around in pass protection,” Stivers said. “It was fun watching Mustafa (Noel-Johnson) and Vaa battle in practice, 1-on-1s."

Stivers said the coaching staff had to keep Sauvao’s strength and intensity in check during workouts and practices.

“He arrived with great size and came to us overweight, but extremely physical,” Stivers said. “When he started practicing with us, we had defensive coaches asking for him to calm down because they were afraid he was going to hurt somebody.“

When is the last time something like that has been said about one of our OL? Him and Mustafa are going to resume their battles in practice I suppose. For the first time in a few years I’m truly optimistic.

If Moretti is healthy enough to win a starting job anywhere on this line that’s a huge plus!

Sorry if this has been answered, but do we know what's happening with Fillip? Rumors suggested he was leaving. Then he wasn't. Then other rumors suggested he wasn't working out with the team...?

Sorry if this has been answered, but do we know what's happening with Fillip? Rumors suggested he was leaving. Then he wasn't. Then other rumors suggested he wasn't working out with the team...?
You've got it. Limbo right now, but doesn't seem to be participating.

You've got it. Limbo right now, but doesn't seem to be participating.
I wonder, was he promised immediate playing time by the old regime to get his commitment and now worries that promise won't be kept (which it shouldn't unless he earns it) by the new staff?

Yeah the notes on Sauvao are certainly encouraging and don't seem to indicate that strength will be a concern; but technique and discipline could be another factor (not that I am doubting his ability to learn them at a high level, just whether that will occur over spring/fall camp at the level we need).

As you pointed out in a great point; having healthy competition among Moretti, Lynott, and Sauvao (and hopefully Fillip) can only be a good thing for us.

I wonder, was he promised immediate playing time by the old regime to get his commitment and now worries that promise won't be kept (which it shouldn't unless he earns it) by the new staff?

The old staff that hated playing young players?

Along with Katie Bason, I think that was a major reason Antwine flipped to CU. I could totally see the last staff getting extremely desperate for some promising talent in the trenches that they had to promise that kind of thing.

Along with Katie Bason, I think that was a major reason Antwine flipped to CU. I could totally see the last staff getting extremely desperate for some promising talent in the trenches that they had to promise that kind of thing.

Eh, I guess.

The lack of desperation (or at least urgency) in recruiting was a big issue with the last staff IMO.

Well Fillip played 207 snaps (and Sherman played 750 snaps) which was way more than "older players" Jack Schutack and Hunter Vaughn so how true is that statement in this scenario? His two games were at the expense of senior Josh Kaiser at Right Tackle and would probably be more if he hadn't gotten hurt.

In other words, the fan base can’ t have it both ways. One day accuse the former staff of playing older players over more talented younger ones, then the next day suggest young players were promised starting jobs as a recruiting ploy.

Personally, there is more evidence to suggest some favoritism toward older players, but that was never the central issue with the last staff. It was recruiting, recruiting, recruiting. MacIntyre never emphasized it enough, thought he could coach his way up, and only had one legit recruiter (Chev) on the staff.

Last edited:
Well Fillip played 207 snaps (and Sherman played 750 snaps) which was way more than "older players" Jack Schutack and Hunter Vaughn so how true is that statement in this scenario? His two games were at the expense of senior Josh Kaiser at Right Tackle and would probably be more if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Schutack is a walk-on. Vaughn is not good. It may not have taken much at all for Fillip to overtake them. That does not mean CU coaches coddled him by promising him something. You just threw out a narrative to feel better about losing Fillip.

That Schutack and Vaughn are even discussed here is why MM is no longer the head coach.
I had surmised a year or two ago if MikMac got canned, it would be because he failed to recruit the OL effectively...but hey Bernardi got to slide into retirement, so I guess it was worth it.

Morretti needs to play on the left side and not on the right side of the OL because of the particulars of his injury. So until he is 100% he won't be playing RG or RT. Also isn't the remaining aspect of his injury related to nerve damage? I thought I heard that the nerve damage in question is regenerating at the rate of 1 inch per year (or some slow rate) so it's just a matter of time. Whether the timing works out is the big question.

I'm not counting on Filip, Morretti, Ray, Vaughn, Lytle, Paige, Schutack, Jynes or any of the true freshmen to contribute for 2019. For various reasons.

We either get another grad xfer to play RT or Sherman will have to play out of position again at OT and we'll have to plug the hole he vacates on the inside with a lesser player.

Schutack is a walk-on.

He is a consensus 3-star player coming out of high school who had at least 4 P5 offers that transferred to CU.

Vaughn is not good.

You said they "hated playing younger players" implying that the older players were not as good anyway so now you want to argue the other way?

It may not have taken much at all for Fillip to overtake them.

Well that is the point, he is in a prime position to be our starting Right Tackle if he truly is "better"; so why leave?

That does not mean CU coaches coddled him by promising him something.

"coddled" is not the same thing as making promises to a player to get his commitment. You've been around long enough to know that is a BS statement. He was a "signing day surprise" that many experts did not predict us to get and were kind of shocked that we got him. Why is it a stretch that there was a promise of PT to get that signature?

You just threw out a narrative to feel better about losing Fillip.

Yep, you got me. That's what I was doing. I didn't make a claim to it, I just "wondered aloud" to the group in case someone in the know could shed some light on the situation. If he doesn't want to be at CU then buh-bye; means nothing to me and I won't feel better or worse about it at all.

Morretti needs to play on the left side and not on the right side of the OL because of the particulars of his injury. So until he is 100% he won't be playing RG or RT. Also isn't the remaining aspect of his injury related to nerve damage? I thought I heard that the nerve damage in question is regenerating at the rate of 1 inch per year (or some slow rate) so it's just a matter of time. Whether the timing works out is the big question.

I'm not counting on Filip, Morretti, Ray, Vaughn, Lytle, Paige, Schutack, Jynes or any of the true freshmen to contribute for 2019. For various reasons.

We either get another grad xfer to play RT or Sherman will have to play out of position again at OT and we'll have to plug the hole he vacates on the inside with a lesser player.

Great insight.I'm not sure there was a game last year that he didn't dress for, was there? I could only hope that means he will be even more prepared to play this year; but not sure about the nerve healing process. I know that it can take a long time to heal fully but not sure about agility and strength aside from the pain.

If that is the case then I really hope someone steps up at RT, if that is Sherman or someone else.

Great insight.I'm not sure there was a game last year that he didn't dress for, was there? I could only hope that means he will be even more prepared to play this year; but not sure about the nerve healing process. I know that it can take a long time to heal fully but not sure about agility and strength aside from the pain.

If that is the case then I really hope someone steps up at RT, if that is Sherman or someone else.

At some percentage of recovery less than 100% Morretti becomes the best available option at LG if they have to move Sherman to RT. Don't know what that value is but I'm sure they'll try him at LG sometime next season to see if he has recovered enough.

Fillip was not a signing day surprise. What are you talking about?
The fact that we held off Notre Dame (and late offers from UCLA and Washington) going after him after he visited there. Fillip openly stated that he originally wasn't even going to visit CU then the Irish came after him hard prior to signing day.

Look at this recruit thread, several posts in the mold of "glad we held onto him". Just because he committed early doesn't mean his signature on the LOI can't still be a "surprise"; how many times have we had the opposite when the blue chip programs came after our better recruits?

It was not a shock he signed with CU. The coaches had to work to hold on to him, but that is not the same as surprising the experts.

You are overthinking this whole situation. Fillip probably is just not enthusiastic about playing for a different coaching staff, no promises need to be in the equation.

LT- Hambright, Morreti
LG- Suavano, Morretti, Tonz
C- Jynes, Pursell
RG- Lynnott, Tonz, Roddick
RT- Sherman, Vaughn, Philip

Back