What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

We will know for sure this summer when he will supposedly be full go. If you hear of a setback, then yes, it probably is a bad sign. But there is confidence he will be back soon.

Basically the odds are closer to 50/50 than 10/90.

am I crazy in thinking the OL went from clusterf... to somewhat of a strength
I think that could be possible near the mid point of the season but it is almost entirely dependent on Moretti coming back and playing meaningful snaps at both tackle and guard, Ray showing why he was a high school all american, and Roddick stepping up and benefiting from the system/coaching change.

am I crazy in thinking the OL went from clusterf... to somewhat of a strength
Maybe a little crazy. I wouldn't say it's somewhat of a strength, just maybe not a total liability. A serviceable line, still one of the weaker position groups on the team along with safety and RB.

What happened with Grant Polley? His thread is totally unsatisfying, nothing beyond the story of sitting out 2018.

Serviceable sounds good.

Hambright's addition certainly changed things
Having more than 1 P5 quality Tackle will be nice. And even though Sherman is certainly talented enough, he sure as hell wasn't ready weight wise. I think it's fair to say we didn't have a single P5 tackle on the roster last year.

The fact that we’re even having this discussion is a huge step in the right direction. Imagine most of us are in “show-me” mode right now so I’m going to be cautiously optimistic, and wait until the red wedding before I declare victory or defeat.

I think on paper, the OL looks very solid. Coaching changes can often set you back, particularly along the OL. All indications are that the new OL coach is a definite upgrade over what we had before, so cautious optimism is warranted.

Getting optimistic that we might actually have a P5 quality OL.

The idea that we don't have to cover for a starter who doesn't belong out there changes what we can do. Having the ability to sub in a guy who is a legitimate P5 player reduces my stress level.

Going to take a couple years of quality recruiting until we can actually call the OL a strength but at least it looks like we are moving that direction.

Probably not a strength, but serviceable and definitely not the weakest unit on the team anymore (I'd have to say RB, TE, and S are battling for that distinction right now).

Serviceable with really thin depth at tackle. Still not a good place to be, but better than last year. I would say that describes most of the offense. Really need to stay healthy because the depth is suspect most everywhere.

Cant wait for the 9 win predictions and the subsequent review of said prediction after game 5. Rome was not built in a day.
I think the line will improve throughout the season, I also think it's going to be significantly better at the beginning of the season then any line we've had since GB's teams. I don't think some here really appreciate how crappy the coaching was. I myself am going to be watching coach Kap and his unit at the spring game. Not projecting win numbers, just thankful for a major upgrade in the coach.

Interesting to hear that when your O-Line Coach and WR Coaches are just Assistants and not Co-Offensive Coordinators that intense work and coaching is going into the position groups. I think not only was our former O-Line Coach not that good at coaching his position, but he was also distracted by spending time as an offensive coordinator, and not recruiting or coaching hard enough. Kap is in an old school position of making his guys tough and bad ass and doing their job for the Offense. And he will let Johnson run the offense. MT is not going to hand out Co-Titles just to make his friends happy.

RELENTLESS

Maybe a little crazy. I wouldn't say it's somewhat of a strength, just maybe not a total liability. A serviceable line, still one of the weaker position groups on the team along with safety and RB.
A serviceable line the last two years would have got us into a bowl game and would still be saddled with MM instead of Tucker.

Can’t say I’m glad we lost, but.....really happy with Tucker and the direction the team seems headed. And for other things, like how savvy he is about getting out to major sports games and events and shaking hands and making ‘CU’s Head Coach was here!’ part of the local talk. Very visible presence. I like it.

A serviceable line the last two years would have got us into a bowl game and would still be saddled with MM instead of Tucker.

Can’t say I’m glad we lost, but.....really happy with Tucker and the direction the team seems headed. And for other things, like how savvy he is about getting out to major sports games and events and shaking hands and making ‘CU’s Head Coach was here!’ part of the local talk. Very visible presence. I like it.
This. A billion times.

I think the line will improve throughout the season, I also think it's going to be significantly better at the beginning of the season then any line we've had since GB's teams. I don't think some here really appreciate how crappy the coaching was. I myself am going to be watching coach Kap and his unit at the spring game. Not projecting win numbers, just thankful for a major upgrade in the coach.

Good coaching can only do so much for those with a low ceiling. Ive come to appreciate that there are not one, but actually two, Unicorn positions on offense.

For me what is crazy is that it got so thin to begin with. MM was good coach and smart guy. How did such a critical position group get so upside down?

For me what is crazy is that it got so thin to begin with. MM was good coach and smart guy. How did such a critical position group get so upside down?
MM just didn't fully embrace recruiting and believed more in player development as the foundation of the program. Combining an apathetic attitude toward recruiting and his philosophy for the OL (smaller and quicker, rather than larger and stronger), and you get the horrendous OL play we saw. Also, keeping a non-recruiter like Gary Bernardi as OL coach (arguably the most important Asst Coaching position on the team) for the first 3 seasons of his tenure was an enormous mistake.

Good coaching can only do so much for those with a low ceiling. Ive come to appreciate that there are not one, but actually two, Unicorn positions on offense.
I don't think any player starting on the O Line will be a low ceiling player. Clearly there are low ceiling players here, just not the starters and some of the backups. So yes I expect much better lines going forward. I'm not saying that overnight they'll be great, I do expect them to become good this year.

I don't think any player starting on the O Line will be a low ceiling player. Clearly there are low ceiling players here, just not the starters and some of the backups. So yes I expect much better lines going forward. I'm not saying that overnight they'll be great, I do expect them to become good this year.
The talent level has been getting better (finally) and with our newcomer at LT we should be closer to a P5 line.

Let's hope that what seems like a much improved focus on it by HCMT will result in a notable step forward.

HCMM was a decent coach. Players generally liked him as a person and he was especially liked by many player families for his meaningful belief in taking care of the person, not just the player. He had two enormous blind spots, though. One, he was a catastrophe as a manager of his staff allowing loyalty to override accountability, and two, he doggedly adhered to a bygone theory of smaller, nimble, ‘let’s develop them’ players on the LOS. Both faults were his ultimate undoing.

Last edited:
Back