What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

I'm always confused by people who talk about 6-6 ceilings or other long rebuilding prospects. This is college football. Things can change really quickly.
I think the Buffs will be better quickly, but OL is the position, more than any other, that requires quality depth. Very few OL come in ready to play as Fr. Usually your OL are contributors in their third year, sometimes the second. You have to bring in solid OL prospects every year, not longshot projects. MikMac did not bring in solid prospects, but he did bring in a lot of projects. Unfortunately there are not five solid, healthy P12 caliber OL right now. If Moretti and Ray return to full strength, then maybe you'll have something. The worn out mantra of "another year in the S and C program" is hogwash.

Who will surprise everyone next season?
I like Lytle as a darkhorse Tackle that will push for PT next year. He is a big guy with good feet and an attention to detail who is a red-shirt sophomore on top of being grey-shirted so his physical maturity should be nearing its peak.

Last edited:
Not only do we have new coaches with their new philosophies and points of emphasis, but we don't even go into this with a firm grasp of whether a number of guys (Sherman, Moretti, Haigler, Vaughn, etc.) were developing into tackles or guards under the previous regime. It's nothing but question marks right now other than being pretty confident that Pursell is a center, that Lynott is a guard who can backup center if necessary, and that Fillip is a tackle.

To take a crack at it, here's how I'd at least group the players:

C - Pursell, Jynes
G - Lynott, Tonz, Sauvao, Kutsch, Ray, Johnson
T - Haigler, Vaughn, Lytle, Wyatt, Senn, Wiley

Flex - Sherman, Moretti, Paige

I think that ideally Sherman puts on the weight to move to guard (he's only 6'3") and that Moretti recovers fully (supposedly it's about an inch a month for nerve damage to heal so he might be back to full health by camp) to move to tackle. But I'd also think that when camp starts the place it starts is with seniors and returning starters running with the 1s to get first crack at it. That would be Sherman-Tonz-Pursell-Lynott-Haigler until someone beats someone out to cause a shift.

Agree with everything you post here, which to say Sherman should move inside after he was our best OL last year seems nearly blasphemous; but he was merely the best of the worst and did not have a "great" year compared to a higher standard. I like what he did (and performed way better than Kaiser) and his development for the future, but agree he is an inside player going forward.

Roddick seems pretty much a guard. I know he played OT in HS but with his build in college he would be a great RG candidate.

Wiley probably fits into the "flex" role.

Who is "Wyatt" in your Tackle list? Did you mean Fillip?

Looking back at the last 3 years O-line "grades" it is just crazy that both Lynott and Haigler scored worse every year. Lynott was a 2.40 in 2016; 2.42 in 2017, and a 2.55 in 2018. Haigler was: 2.42, 2.47, and 2.59. Losing Kough and Irwin hit us bad and those guys weren't even NFL talent! Both of them improved from 2016 to 2017 and Huckins was even with Kelley at Center so it's not like the whole starting lineup dropped off during that period.

What I would love to see in 2019:
Everyone gains 15-20 pounds of good weight/muscle. Everyone is healthy. Specifically: Moretti gains 2 inches, 20 pounds, and the mobility he lost while recovering from injuries.

A grad transfer, JUCO, or a competition between Will Sherman and Jake Moretti to lock down the LT spot with Schutack and Vaughn as swing tackles in the meantime; allowing Fillip/Senn/Wiley to develop as tackles.
A competition at LG between Sauvao, Tonz, and Sherman (if not LT), with Ray developing behind them. Tonz and Paige as swing interior linemen.
Jynes hopefully (Tonz or Paige, if not) steps up and becomes a legit backup to Pursell (instead of moving Lynott there).
A competition at RG between Lynott, Kutsch, and Moretti (if not LT) with Roddick and Johnson in development.
Haigler locks down the RT spot with Lytle as a solid backup and the young tackle group allowed to develop behind them.

The big "IF" comes down to the LT spot and the reserves at either tackle spot or center not being the starters at other positions; thus lending stability to the unit.

Not sure if this is an accurate or complete list of graduate transfer offensive tackle prospects or not:

Justin Murphy - UCLA 6'6 291 3-star prospect out of HS with 24 career games from Belton, Texas. Transferred from Texas Tech after injuries. Granted 6th year by NCAA. Mostly RG but did start 4 games at RT for Texas Tech and was backup RT at UCLA.
Jacob Capra - Oregon 6'5 319 3-star prospect out of HS with 15 career games from Auburn, California. Mostly RG but did play some RT.
DaVondre Love - Indiana 6'7 310 3-star prospect out of HS with 18 career games from St. Louis, Missouri.
Adam Solomon - Illinois 6'5 315 3-star prospect out of HS with 23 career games (mostly ST) from Indianapolis, Indiana.
Richie Petitbon - Alabama 6'4 316 4-star prospect out of HS with 10 career games from Annapolis, Maryland. Probably more OG than OT.

These appear to be the top offensive tackle prospects remaining in the JUCO ranks:
Bamidele Olaseni - Garden City CC 6'8 330 originally from London, England with a long list of P5 offers (Auburn, Utah appear to be in the lead). Played RT at GCCC
Josh Cooper - Navarro College 6'7 355 originally from Haughton, LA; long list of P5 offers (Florida State, Baylor, Ole Miss in the lead). Played LT in 2018.
Tim Anderson - Saddleback CC 6'5 280 originally from Mission Viejo, CA. Offers from Louisville, Arkansas, Kansas, and many G5 schools including Houston, Fresno State, and CSU. Played LT in 2018.

There are still a lot of HS recruits uncommitted at OT but none of them jump out as "day one starter" type recruits.
The #1 recruit from Finland is still there! 6'9 320 lb Martin Veinberg (4 P5 offers) to go along with our Austrian tackle! Nebraska appears in the lead.
Damarcus Mills 6'6 320 3-star was offered by North Carolina so assuming Kapilovic is interested.
Cam'Ron Johnson 6'4 283 3-star previously verbal commit to CU but decommitted is still undecided. Probably fits the profile of the "old regime" moreso than the new regime.

What are the metrics you use for position placement?
Not sure what you mean?

For the current players? I used their most recent positions or the position they were projected to play during recruitment. For example, Lytle was recruited as a tackle and up until this past season was seen as a tackle. He was put on the depth chart as RG but with the new regime wanting power blocking I made the assumption he would move back to his original recruited position to which he is a better physical fit. Otherwise I used past comments from the players, coaches, outside experts to assess their best fit: for example Kanan Ray gave an interview just before the start of the year that he feels he will be a guard in college rather than a tackle.

If you are asking about the recruits, I tried to find where they played at their most recent school, where they project to play in college, and what reports there are (if any) from scouts/coaches as the indication of what position they will or have played. If a recruit primarily played guard and never played tackle then I would have put him at guard. If they were primarily a tackle and could still project there I left them at tackle even if some sites listed them as a guard.

Somebody explain to me how OL can add to their height.
_5.jpg

True, it just struck me odd when somebody said it would be nice if Moretti added two inches...as if anybody had a choice in the matter. No biggie. Maybe they will all get an inch or two taller this off season.
The initial comment about Moretti was more of an "ideally he'd be 2 inches taller, so he wasn't a tweeter and more of a true tackle" comment. It wasn't a serious, hope he grows 2 inches comment.

The initial comment about Moretti was more of an "ideally he'd be 2 inches taller, so he wasn't a tweeter and more of a true tackle" comment. It wasn't a serious, hope he grows 2 inches comment.
My bad, I misread it.

True, it just struck me odd when somebody said it would be nice if Moretti added two inches...as if anybody had a choice in the matter. No biggie. Maybe they will all get an inch or two taller this off season.
Just wishful thinking and a little tongue-in-cheek.

I've seen guys add 1-2" over the course of their time in college but I'm doubtful that is in store for Moretti.

6'-4" and about 320 pounds would be perfect for Moretti
If he could work hard to play like another former stud Buff Guard that would be just fine with me!
250px-Andre_Gurode.JPG

Andre Gurode CU BUFFS 1998-2001

If he could work hard to play like another former stud Buff Guard that would be just fine with me!
250px-Andre_Gurode.JPG

CU can't have nice things, that would be waaayy too nice a thing! But I'm all over that!

250px-Andre_Gurode.JPG

Moretti is talented, but he’s way far away from the best Buffs football player from the last 25 years.

Moretti is talented, but he’s way far away from the best Buffs football player from the last 25 years.

Agreed
I was focusing on his size and ability to be a very good college Guard, and if his knees can hold up that would be his best NFL position.
Didn’t CU flip flop the line with Gurode to strongside/fieldside somehow? It was not like he was a RG or LG, he would flip depending on the spot of the ball?

Agreed
I was focusing on his size and ability to be a very good college Guard, and if his knees can hold up that would be his best NFL position.
Didn’t CU flip flop the line with Gurode to strongside/fieldside somehow? It was not like he was a RG or LG, he would flip depending on the spot of the ball?

Wherever we needed a gaping hole, that’s where he went.

Back