What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

I don't know if you're going to get Will Friend from Tennessee (he came with Bobo from UGA and took the UT job this year). His whole career and life have been in the south. Friend's replacement isn't doing nearly as well.
And we don't need to spread out recruiting even more. A TE coach replacement and an OL coach replacement if they come available need to be Poly or Cali/Texas recruiters.

Last edited by a moderator:
That I retracted and apologized for.

I'm surprised at how much mediocrity the fan base stands for these days. Battered spouse syndrome I guess.

I'm not standing for it, I'm picketing MM and asking for him to be fired and Hagan to be the new HC. I'm also not leaving until chris naole is named OL coach.

I'm not sure anything written in this article would surprise anyone, but he is dead on right in a public article that I hope EVERYONE sees. I will give you one guess what his premise is for our success.

Still wondering? Then you haven't been paying attention.
Rooney: CU Buffs' road to Pac-12 South title needs to be cleared by O-line
The CU OL scheme is built on screening, shielding and sealing. That requires athletes with good footwork. MM told us this was the most athletic group CU has had. That may or may not be true. What is true is that CU does not have the athletes on the OL to run the current blocking scheme.

Does anyone think the current players on the roster have the ability to play the style that we are moving to? I’m hoping that the transition isn’t that difficult because we actually have some decent OLinemen and they were not being put in a position to be successful. With a different scheme and a MUCH better position coach, I’m hopeful Sherman, Lynott, Purcell, Motetti, Ray, etc. won’t be held back and will be able to make the power run game effective.
Thoughts?

The younger OL guys (if all healthy) have the makings of a solid OL for some time. They need to get bigger and better, but the talent should be there.

Does anyone think the current players on the roster have the ability to play the style that we are moving to? I’m hoping that the transition isn’t that difficult because we actually have some decent OLinemen and they were not being put in a position to be successful. With a different scheme and a MUCH better position coach, I’m hopeful Sherman, Lynott, Purcell, Motetti, Ray, etc. won’t be held back and will be able to make the power run game effective.
Thoughts?
I’m no expert but I honestly have no idea what we have at OL. It’s a patchwork collection of individuals, some with dubious injury history. With the right focus and coaching, things could...maybe...kinda fall into place in 2019 and 2020. Then again, these players may never come together and perform at a top 25, competitive level. That means a complete, start from scratch rebuild is required.

Thoughts?

There is still a lot to be sorted out.

I fully expect the coaches to be VERY aggressive in 2020 to get guys who can play early.

Relying on the current group to all stay healthy is likely to lead to disappointment.

The younger OL guys (if all healthy) have the makings of a solid OL for some time. They need to get bigger and better, but the talent should be there.
That’s assuming Ray and Moretti can get to a place with their health where they can become serious factors. I like Fillip and Sherman, and Pursell should continue to get better, but the young talent largely rests on the hopes of Moretti and Ray, IMO.

with the exception of some badass mauler jucos coming in, it takes a few cycles to get the o-line where the staff seems to want it to go. gotta sign a bunch of guys with the frame, feet, and meanness that you want. only a few guys are physically mature enough when they come in to play, let alone start. and those few guys are hard to get. so, you want to redshirt a bunch of your guys and let them grow into the guys, with the right s & c program, that you want. ideally, after a few cycles, you go at least 8 deep of upperclassmen who have started or can start, with some badasses behind them pushing to start.

we were a disaster upfront this year, moving guys around up and down the line because we didn't have 8 upperclassmen who were starter-ready. once injuries set in, it was game over. plug in the 3 frosh who saw starts and it isn't a mystery why we got destroyed the second half of the season. and, last, the philosophy of lighter ol is particularly going to bite you in ass if you are forced into playing younger guys like we were. they are going to get handled by good defenses. this is still a game of leverage and strength, no matter what offense you run.

Thoughts?
Lynott, if he gets back to where he was in 2017, before the injury. You have Morretti and Ray, who, again, prior to injury, where those kinds of players. So three rehabbing OL and Sherman, maybe Filip, but he needs a couple more years IMO.

So, one out of five possibles, the rest are question marks, hence, HCMT hitting the JUCO's. MikMac did a great service to the Buffs, but the OL was left in a shambles. Cue Bernardi retiring on the job comments.

I thought this thread was going to be about bawdy pick-up lines.

All I found were dudes talking about how "big" other dudes are.

Can't wait to see how things shake out with the new OL coach. Still don't see a lot of talent at the OT position passed Sherman. Haigler has experience but damn they moved him around so much the past 3 years it is hard to say where he should fit (13 starts at OT, and 14 at OG; but I still think he's a better OT than OG). Fillip has potential but had a rough introduction to the game this past year (especially compared to Sherman). I could see Lytle moving back to RT with the addition of Sauvao to OG and a healthy Ray competing inside. Seems like Moretti would be used at OG as well. Only new addition to the OT group could be Senn who is a long-term project at this level.

Couple of the guys probably depends on what they do in the nutrition/S&C area in the off-season.

Last edited:
Left TackleLeft GuardCenterRight GuardRight Tackle
Tar Heel Avg6'6.5" 307.56'3" 3006'4" 307.56'5" 327.56'6.5" 322.5
Bulldog Avg6'5.5" 3196'5" 338.56'3" 3216'4.5" 3166'6" 323.5
Sherman 6'4" 290Tonz 6'4" 295Pursell 6'4" 290Lynott 6'3" 300Haigler 6'7" 295
Vaughn 6'7" 300Moretti 6'4" 295Paige 6'5" 275Kutsch 6'4" 300Fillip 6'7" 280
Ray 6'4" 280Jynes 6'3" 310Lytle 6'7" 315Schutack 6'6" 285
Sauvao 6'3" 320Roddick 6'4" 340
Wiley 6'6" 270Johnson 6'4" 285Senn 6'7" 290
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not a projected depth chart; just used the 2018 depth chart with a few tweaks (moved Haigler back to RT) and made assumptions on the incoming recruits.

Certainly there is more than just size for an OL to factor in, but I wanted to see how our roster stacked up against our new coaches former teams.

Interesting that neither team had an OT shorter than 6'5". Looks like there is 20+ pounds on average to be gained in this off-season across the board on the O-line.

Man are we undersized!!!
Where did Mac get this philosophy that smaller guys are better? What was his proof?
It seems like the players have the frames to beef up a bit, so at least there is potential for a little improvement just from gaining 15-20 pounds in the S&C program.

Man are we undersized!!!
Where did Mac get this philosophy that smaller guys are better? What was his proof?

It seems like the players have the frames to beef up a bit, so at least there is potential for a little improvement just from gaining 15-20 pounds in the S&C program.

On top of that UGA's O-line is underclassmen dominated, with only 2 Seniors and no Juniors on their two-deep. They have 2 R-SO, 1 SO, 1 R-FR, and 2 true Frosh.

On top of that UGA's O-line is underclassmen dominated, with only 2 Seniors and no Juniors on their two-deep. They have 2 R-SO, 1 SO, 1 R-FR, and 2 true Frosh.
Wait. You mean it's OK to recruit non-projects and play younger players?

If there's one thing that I actually despised MM for with the way he ran the program, it was his recruiting and development philosophy on the OL. I can live with just about everything else, but the excuse making and trying to outsmart everybody with his OL strategy is unforgivable.

If there's one thing that I actually despised MM for with the way he ran the program, it was his recruiting and development philosophy on the OL. I can live with just about everything else, but the excuse making and trying to outsmart everybody with his OL strategy is unforgivable.
But they sure looked good in practice against our paper-thin D-line!

They couldn't get anyone else and ultimately it cost him his job. His loyalty to guys who couldn't recruit on the line still has me asking myself what I missed.

Back