What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

***Official 2014 Colorado vs CSU Basketball Game Thread***

2 minutes and low quality youtube would help these goofballs

[video=youtube;xHihJ2mtFfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHihJ2mtFfg[/video]

Boyle would have done well to capitalize more on the recruiting trail when this team was really rolling last year and the year before.

I honestly think Tad needs to hand off the offense to someone else. Great defensive coach, but if CU is to really take their team to the next level, TadBall is not going to work.

I just didn't like his play in the last 2 minutes. Taking a long off-balance three when it wasn't needed and then passing up the 3 and going to the rim with 6 seconds left down by 3.
It seemed like he was the only one willing to take a shot with the ball at the end. When anyone else got the ball they were trying to figure out how to get it back to Ski. I didn't think Ski was the problem today.

Ski choked. His team, SR year against our big rival and he makes Bohnhead plays to finish us off.

Charmin Scott also to blame

There is no way he is a first round talent, but at the same time the coaching staff is not exactly putting him in the best position to shine.
Agreed. On the radio on the way home Coach was talking about how they were having success driving to the basket but then it stopped happening. We were being effective and getting their short bench in foul trouble. Why not run plays and take advantage of it?

Great point. Seems like after Spencer left, we are left with just a bunch of average players. All we are good at is passing the ball around the perimeter. No one drives inside (except for XJ).

Maybe I'm wrong but seems like our coaching staff was too lazy in recruiting and lacking in player development?

Boyle would have done well to capitalize more on the recruiting trail when this team was really rolling last year and the year before.

Ski choked. His team, SR year against our big rival and he makes Bohnhead plays to finish us off.

Charmin Scott also to blame

Ski's decision at the end was inexcusable, but Scott's 0/7 is far more so. And yes, I know it's tough being part of an offense doesn't even have basic understandings of movement, cutting and spacing, but 0/7? Toughen up and make it your ****ing ball a few times, man

Great point. Seems like after Spencer left, we are left with just a bunch of average players. All we are good at is passing the ball around the perimeter. No one drives inside (except for XJ).

Maybe I'm wrong but seems like our coaching staff was too lazy in recruiting and lacking in player development?

Or got a little too much of a hard-on for "glue guys" that win you the Big Sky

Josh Scott goes 0-7 and everyone is blaming Ski for the lose. CU would have lost by 10 plus if not for Ski

On Buffzone, there is still the headline about Rick George (and him speaking about football). The point being: Bottom line, we've got to win games.

I think Rick George needs to change the culture. Before he came here, it became ok to lose. He has the right attitude. Tad Boyle has done wonders for us, but a loss to a team from the Mtn West, esp CSU, is not acceptable here. Whether it was the players or not, the head coach should take responsibility. And I think our AD will begin to set the tone here that these are MUST-WIN games that can't be explained away by a few quotes in the post-game, etc.

Ski's decision at the end was inexcusable, but Scott's 0/7 is far more so. And yes, I know it's tough being part of an offense doesn't even have basic understandings of movement, cutting and spacing, but 0/7? Toughen up and make it your ****ing ball a few times, man

I hear you. But you have to understand that Scott is not really that type of player. He's great if you can get him in the right position, but he is not athletic enough to do his own thing. That's why I've always balked at the Scott to the the NBA talk. He can't jump and is not a shot-blocker, but he's fundamentally sound and can shoot jumpers pretty well. He's not going to make it his ball and go up with a nasty dunk after a rebound because he can't jump. But he can still be a GREAT college player if the scheming is right. But it's not because our coaching is horrible.

Last edited:
We need more of this. We've got heads up asses and we suck right after half without fail.

[video=youtube;uMVmhI1SUq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVmhI1SUq0[/video]

Yes, Ski made some bad decisions coming down the stretch but this game should never have been in that position. CU should have been ahead and protecting a multiple possession lead, not trying to come from behind.

Way to much individual talent to only score 60 against an undersized CSU team but this team lacks offensive leadership, doesn't play with urgency, and won't take advantage of mismatches. Scott should have dominated inside, XJ with his strength and jumping ability should have been able to slash all night, etc. etc.

Instead we get guys standing and passing the ball on the perimeter until the shot clock is against us then either taking long shots against pressure or having one of the less able players taking bad shots.

We need more of this. We've got heads up asses and we suck right after half without fail.

[video=youtube;uMVmhI1SUq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVmhI1SUq0[/video]

I didn't watch the speech because my headphone jack is ****ed atm, but I'd argue we need Knight's XandOs more than we need his yelling and screaming at this point.

I hear you. But you have to understand that Scott is not really that type of player. He's great if you can get him in the right position, but he is not athletic enough to do his own thing. That's why I've always balked at the Scott to the the NBA talk. He can't jump and is not a shot-blocker, but he's fundamentally sound and can shoot jumpers pretty well. He's not going to make it his ball and go up with a nasty dunk after a rebound because he can't jump. But he can still be a GREAT college player if the scheming is right. But it's not because our coaching his horrible.
Josh wasn't double teamed hardly at all tonight. Was shut down by a guy who is 4-5 inches shorter than him. Something is seriously wrong here.

I hear you. But you have to understand that Scott is not really that type of player. He's great if you can get him in the right position, but he is not athletic enough to do his own thing. That's why I've always balked at the Scott to the the NBA talk. He can't jump and is not a shot-blocker, but he's fundamentally sound and can shoot jumpers pretty well. He's not going to make it his ball and go up with a nasty dunk after a rebound because he can't jump. But he can still be a GREAT college player if the scheming is right. But it's not because our coaching his horrible.

Scheming is part, get him the damn ball in the right spot (unfortunately we pass like lackadaisical clowns so that rarely happens).

On Buffzone, there is still the headline about Rick George (and him speaking about football). The point being: Bottom line, we've got to win games.

I think Rick George needs to change the culture. Before he came here, it became ok to lose. He has the right attitude. Tad Boyle has done wonders for us, but a loss to a team from the Mtn West, esp CSU, is not acceptable here. Whether it was the players or not, the head coach should take responsibility. And I think our AD will begin to set the tone here that these are MUST-WIN games that can't be explained away by a few quotes in the post-game, etc.

This isn't football. The Mtn West is a legit bball conference.

Josh Scott goes 0-7 and everyone is blaming Ski for the lose. CU would have lost by 10 plus if not for Ski

I don't disagree Illegal, Scott had a piss poor game...but driving for 2 instead of shooting for 3 with less than 5 secs left is akin to being down 7 with 5 seconds left and deciding to kick a fg. Those types of mental mistakes shouldn't happen at the college level...hell, not even at the hs level.

Watching a game live is eye opening. We began the game on fire. But as soon as we subbed in guys, the air just went out of the team and they never really got it back. Other than Ski, Scott and XJ, this team lacks guys who can contribute much. Really frustrating. Add to that the obnoxious prick rammie fan be hid us, and it was a miserable, unenjoyable evening. Keep this **** up, and people will start staying home.

Oh, and the three point foul at the end of the first and the no call on the obvious travel at the end were both bull****.

Tad was badly outcoached in this one guys. And their players outplayed ours.

I'm not getting the ski hate. He is the only guy on our team attacking at all. The offense is built around guys standing around and I hate to say it but the problem is tad. In his post game presser he mm mentioned two things the lack of ball movement and bad game by Scott.

New flash coach, the ball movement is fine, it is the off the ball movement that sucks. Notice how CSU kept sending guys to the basket and then curling to the corners. They kept moving on offense. We stand around and pass around the perimeter. I think we rarely took an easy shot tonight. Everything was a contested layup or a jumper. The formula for losing.

Now for Scott. Can someone explain to me exactly how he sucked tonight. How are we putting him in a position for success by only giving him the ball outside the 3 point line? Did we run any plays for Scott? Is it illegal to put Scott AND Wes in the low post and lottery them screen for each other? I actually hope Scott goes pro so someone can properly use him on offense. What is the point of having him here next year to set picks at the 3 point line? Miller can do that just fine.

Tad actually thinks that we had the game at the end. I think we were outplayed at home. At one point Wes blocked Avilia and still got out hustled to the ball. I don't think I have ever someone get blocked moving to the basket, turn around and run back and beat the blocker to the ball. The players need to start winning possessions before they can win games.

Yes, we have major issues with the offensive coaching/development/scheme. But honestly, I don't know why we expected much more from this team. All these problems were there last year in just as much abundance and these are the same guys. Players don't magically turn into scoring threats in the off season. We are seeing what happens when a coaching staff misses on an entire class. Gordon is OK as a rebounder/defender, but the rest of the sophomore class is a complete whiff, yet they're getting huge minutes because they have to. Modern basketball is predicated on players who can create. Outside of XJ, Ski and Scott (tonight not withstanding), we have none. Zero. You can't win with only 3 guys on your team who can create and score, especially when one has an off night. Simple as that. Doesn't matter how good defense you play.

Unless 1-2 of these guys who are sucking up all these minutes magically figures out how to be some kind of offensive contributor, we will be very hard pressed to make the NIT. Tad had plenty of talent the last 4 years to help, now we'll see how good a coach he is.

What a tough game to watch. Don't get me wrong I am as disappointed and depressed as I have been after a CU loss in a long time, but you gotta look at the positives or life is miserable. Let's hope we bounce back and develop into conference play and the diamondhead classic. Not all is lost, but damn we have a uphill climb. Also, shoutout to [MENTION=7737]hokiehead[/MENTION]. Really appreciate the ticket.

Back