What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

*** Official 2015 Utah @ Colorado Basketball Game Thread ***

Sounds like a coach's nightmare. But also part of the job. The Cal game will be interesting - should be a Buff blowout like WSU, based on CEC and comparable match ups (other than Cal beating Wyo at home), but Cal has won 4 straight after losing 6 straight.

Interesting that you mention Cal.

This team kind of reminds me of the Cal football team a couple years ago that we beat. They look like a team that has lost interest. Lost interest in what the coach has to say, lost interest in each other, lost interest in winning. All it takes make them fold like a napkin is a little bit of effort and they can't be bothered to match it.

Tad built UNC on character guys, he built his early success at CU on character guys. It may be that in trying to recruit talent to match the teams he was aiming at he lost some of that focus.

I'm not saying that individually the players on this team are not good people, not knowing them personally that wouldn't be fair.

What is fair to say is that the combination of players right now isn't working. They don't play hard, they don't do the things they are coached to do, they don't have a spirit of playing for each other and the team.

Don't know what Tad is going to have to do to get that back but I hope he does a couple of things. One is to get back to recruiting the kind of kids that buy into what he is selling and if not be leaders at least be high quality followers. If he needs to encourage a couple guys to move on to create space for these guys I'm for it. I know that isn't pleasant but this is big boy basketball now. If you aren't going to give it your all for the team go someplace that will accept that.

Secondly it is obvious that the discord extends into the coaching staff as well. Again clear some deadwood. In the process find an assistant who can coach a halfcourt offense that looks like it belongs in a league like the PAC12. I love Tad as a coach but these offensive dead periods that have killed us aren't something new. Recognize your weakness and address it.

The ability to hita goddamn jump shot goes a long way to making a happy team. Every time we throw up a clunker, that just makes the character stuff worse. It has been thoroughly proven with the elite teams in this league that without 3-4 guys on your roster who can shoot, you can't be successful. Tad needs to change his recruiting strategy. There's no way he could have looked at the shooting forms of JHop, Fletch, Stalzer, Collier, etc. in high school and thought they'd be good players on the perimeter. He saw something else and whatever that was isn't getting it done.

Last edited:
Hopkins is shooting 40.6% from 3
Fletcher is shooting 52.0% from 3
Collier started out strong but has struggled
Staltzer...he's a miss

I am going to keep saying it, this team needs a PG. Our A/FGM is terrible and that is killing us, along with passing up good looks that lead to a turnover. When the team moves the ball they score. The team isn't moving the ball, and they aren't really playing as a team.

Hopkins is shooting 40.6% from 3
Fletcher is shooting 52.0% from 3
Collier started out strong but has struggled
Staltzer...he's a miss

I am going to keep saying it, this team needs a PG. Our A/FGM is terrible and that is killing us, along with passing up good looks that lead to a turnover. When the team moves the ball they score. The team isn't moving the ball, and they aren't really playing as a team.

Those guys have made the same number of 3's this season as Utah did last night.

Needless to say, I still want CU to win the P12 tourney.

But if the regular season and/or P12 title comes down to the Utes and Wildcats, I'm supporting the Utes.

Krystkowiak is building a likable team.

Those guys have made the same number of 3's this season as Utah did last night.
Which leads me another thing I've bitched about, passing up good looks. I was trying to make the point that they can shoot, but I forgot to include them being too passive most of the time. All of the sophomores, including Gordon need to be more aggressive on offense because they can shoot the ball or drive the ball with their ability, but for some reason they don't most of the time.

Which leads me another thing I've bitched about, passing up good looks. I was trying to make the point that they can shoot, but I forgot to include them being too passive most of the time. All of the sophomores, including Gordon need to be more aggressive on offense because they can shoot the ball or drive the ball with their ability, but for some reason they don't most of the time.

I mentioned this a few games back. Even when they move the ball, it often seems they move the ball just to be moving the ball. Open looks don't result in shots, just another pass. If the next pass is a better look, then fine, but it isseldom the case.
Not nearly enough shooting confidence to take the open shot.

Needless to say, I still want CU to win the P12 tourney.

But if the regular season and/or P12 title comes down to the Utes and Wildcats, I'm supporting the Utes.

Krystkowiak is building a likable team.

I didn't know you were a big soccer fan.

Writing was on the wall with Ski out, Wes and XJ being bozos and Scott hobbling around. Sucks, but injury AND internal bull**** is too much for virtually any program to overcome. Utes will be in the Sweet 16.

While XJ has been a bozo at times this year, I do want to point out that Tad clarified after the game that Wes was the only one late to shootaround. XJ was held out to start due to injuries.

Just my opinion but push the damn ball. Hell, you can get in your offense if nothing is there. They don't move the ball or themselves very well. Take the buckets you can get, have some athletes. Be aggressive. I'm biased because that's the style I like. I'd say take what they give you but these guys can't do that apparently, go take it.

While XJ has been a bozo at times this year, I do want to point out that Tad clarified after the game that Wes was the only one late to shootaround. XJ was held out to start due to injuries.

he told BDC that XJ "just hasnt been playing well since he got injured"

Our cluster**** offense frustrates me as much as anyone, but I think our off-court issues are probably playing a role in exacerbating it. We've shown you can win 20+ games with this general (lack of) offense in multiple seasons. We're decaying on the inside in my opinion and unless that's fixed, other solutions will only go so far. I think it may be our root issue.

This. I think that the off-court issues are mind boggling...guys can't even make it to team meetings on time, usually one of the early signs of a team just not giving a ****. Another poster mentioned that point in the Utah game where Josh hit the floor and nobody helped him up....It just appears that these guys don't like playing with each other, and not even super talented teams can get away with that flaw.

I mentioned this a few games back. Even when they move the ball, it often seems they move the ball just to be moving the ball. Open looks don't result in shots, just another pass. If the next pass is a better look, then fine, but it isseldom the case.
Not nearly enough shooting confidence to take the open shot.

:nod: Yup. Even when the offense is moving well, its still not that hard to defend. Screens are half hearted and not very effective. When someone is double teamed it almost always results in a pass back out to the perimeter and the offense resetting, or a turnover. When getting doubled in the post, nobody cuts down the lane towards the hoop, or rotates on the perimeter to help out, but most times the rest just stand there and watch. Just about every time we got the ball in the post Utah doubled down. Really is amazing the coaches haven't found a way to counter this.

:nod: Yup. Even when the offense is moving well, its still not that hard to defend. Screens are half hearted and not very effective. When someone is double teamed it almost always results in a pass back out to the perimeter and the offense resetting, or a turnover. When getting doubled in the post, nobody cuts down the lane towards the hoop, or rotates on the perimeter to help out, but most times the rest just stand there and watch. Just about every time we got the ball in the post Utah doubled down. Really is amazing the coaches haven't found a way to counter this.

I'm so darn furious. Agreed, the offense stinks. It seems no one really knows what to do. Players get the ball where they seem out of their comfort level.

Some things I think need to happen for success this year into next:

Though he may not be ready, we need Collier to take the helm from a leadership perspective. He needs to be injected into the starting lineup now so he can get more understanding and experience on how to be the court general. He is trumped by upperclassmen but he needs to assume the leadership role now. Pushing him into the starting lineup may force him to man up, stop looking like a typical freshman and take that ish like Dinwiddie did.

Jaron Hopkins needs to come off the bench as the spark plug. His helter-skelter, one on one playing style is more suited coming off the bench.

Set plays need to be run to free up open shooters. Utah killed us with that double screen set play. That play needs to be installed for Booker and Talton asap.

We need to get Josh Scott the ball at the top of the key. #1, it eliminates the double team. #2, he's pretty good there. Josh has the option to shoot over the top, drive to the basket, or kick to the wing.

Stalzer need not get any spot minutes. He got inserted in the last minute of the 1st half and gave up a 3 with lazy defense off the double screen that was set on him. I can't remember the short guys name from Utah, but he hit at least 3 threes on Stalzer during the game. I know this is also a team problem and Tad needs address the three point defense in general.

Set plays also need to be run for XJ down low. XJ can be a beast down there because opposing small forwards can't guard him down there. I know XJ wants to play on the perimeter but Tad needs to get him down in the post where he can be nasty.

Tad needs to find a way to light a fire under Gordon. Seems Gordon was more than happy to take a back seat to Scott during the contest. He seemed hardly engaged, he stood around during loose balls and didn't provide help defense on a couple of occasions from what I saw. I like Gordon and it's up to the coach to get him engaged.

Problem with starting Dom & Ski together is that there are a lot of big 2-guards in the Pac-12. J-Hop has to guard those guys.

The back court is a mess.

The front court is talented as hell, but can't be relied on to be healthy or to show up (on time or ready to play).

Problem with starting Dom & Ski together is that there are a lot of big 2-guards in the Pac-12. J-Hop has to guard those guys.

The back court is a mess.

The front court is talented as hell, but can't be relied on to be healthy or to show up (on time or ready to play).

I agree, we will be smaller and it'll hurt us on the defensive end, but what we're doing now just isn't working anyways. I just would like for Collier to start running this team like it's his. I think that experience will get him more equipped for next year. This team needs someone to run the offense (ala Dinwiddie).

I went and looked at Wes stats for the Utah game and can't believe they were that bad.

19 minutes, 1 shot, 2 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal. 2 points from free throws.

I thought his game was better than that.

I went and looked at Wes stats for the Utah game and can't believe they were that bad.

19 minutes, 1 shot, 2 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal. 2 points from free throws.

I thought his game was better than that.
It is....when he cares

Do I even bother going to the game here in Seattle? If they play like that at home why would I waste my time on the road. Huskies are no good either but I bet they beat us like a drum.

I meant the Utah game specifically. I thought he played better than his stats indicated.
Gotcha. From my view it looked like he was completely half-assing it. A number of times I saw him just stand there instead of trying to get a rebound where he'd then jog back. The team quit early on after Utah's run to start the game.

Do I even bother going to the game here in Seattle? If they play like that at home why would I waste my time on the road. Huskies are no good either but I bet they beat us like a drum.

Yes, go to the game. We'll beat them, UW is no Utah.

You need to stop saying things like that. You're wrong more often than I am.

Lol.

He needs to go to the game because you can catch public transportation and watch the buffs play in a nice stadium.

I know. Chill people, I only said he should support the Buffs on the road and UW isn't Utah.

People aren't jumping on you for saying those two things. They are on you for saying, "We'll beat them," in the middle of it.

Stop predicting wins. In football and basketball.

People aren't jumping on you for saying those two things. They are on you for saying, "We'll beat them," in the middle of it.

Stop predicting wins. In football and basketball.

And stay away from the cross country team too.

Back