What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

I saw that he was staying at Hawaii; but, things could change. He wouldn't be the first wac coach to be hired away by a PAC 12 school.
i don't get the naeole love... what has he done, other than being a buff to garner such fervent support? Also with the news of Chiaverini hiring, we missed yet another opportunity to land dave logan...sigh

Last edited:
i don't get the naeole love... what has he done, other than being a buff to garner such fervent support? Also with the news of Chiaverini hiring, we missed yet another opportunity to land dave logan...sigh

I'm with you. He's one of my favorite all-time Buff players, but I don't really see him as a great OL coach at this stage in his career. I actually think Brad Bedell's more qualified if we're talking about former Buff OLs who are coaching -- and I don't think Bedell is at the level of OL coach this staff needs right now. I want a guy with more seasoning and more high level success.

I'm with you. He's one of my favorite all-time Buff players, but I don't really see him as a great OL coach at this stage in his career. I actually think Brad Bedell's more qualified if we're talking about former Buff OLs who are coaching -- and I don't think Bedell is at the level of OL coach this staff needs right now. I want a guy with more seasoning and more high level success.
I'm sure there are more experienced coaches and I will be pumped if we get one. I do like Naoele though. Being a Buff Alumn is an advantage.
I like that he played many years in the nfl, Got promoted from OL coach to interim HC, and has recruited Polynesian players fairly well. Did you see that Ulu-Perry is transferring from Ucla to Hawaii?

Right now we need recruiters more than actual good coaches. If a guy can bring home the bacon but is just efficient at his job in the trenches I'm on board. We're still in rebuilding mode, not world beater mode. So in my mind recruiting is more important. If we can get both well great. But an emphasis on good recruiter is the priority

Right now we need recruiters more than actual good coaches. If a guy can bring home the bacon but is just efficient at his job in the trenches I'm on board. We're still in rebuilding mode, not world beater mode. So in my mind recruiting is more important. If we can get both well great. But an emphasis on good recruiter is the priority

I agree, except for the OL.

I agree, except for the OL.

Offensive line has probably been the biggest underperfromer on the recruiting trail. Other than Lynott, we have not been able to add elite level lineman and this is a school that should be able to do so. We can't just keep taking greyshirts and projects that have to put on 50 pounds before they can see the field.

Not a developmental position like OL.

Some of you guys act like upgrades over certain coaches on this staff are extremely hard to find.

Offensive line has probably been the biggest underperfromer on the recruiting trail. Other than Lynott, we have not been able to add elite level lineman and this is a school that should be able to do so. We can't just keep taking greyshirts and projects that have to put on 50 pounds before they can see the field.

Obviously recruiting needs to improve, just disagree coaching can take a back seat as it pertains to the OL. We can't just cut all of those projects overnight. Someone will have to coach them up. We can find a competent coach and an upgrade in recruiting without too much effort, no need to choose.

Some of you guys act like upgrades over certain coaches on this staff are extremely hard to find.

Exactly. OL can be coached up and built up even if you don't have all-conference talent. CU's OL has struggled despite consistently putting players in the NFL, so while I want to enhance recruiting up front my bigger concern is with getting this unit to be assignment-sound and reliable.

Obviously recruiting needs to improve, just disagree coaching can take a back seat as it pertains to the OL. We can't just cut all of those projects overnight. Someone will have to coach them up. We can find a competent coach and an upgrade in recruiting without too much effort, no need to choose.

I agree. I just think the biggest issue with the offensive line has been recruiting, not coaching. This past season definitely blurred that line though.

I agree. I just think the biggest issue with the offensive line has been recruiting, not coaching. This past season definitely blurred that line though.

True. To your point, it would be nice to have a better recruiter in place for a full OL class in 2017.

The best thing about Neinas moving on will be not having to hear the conspiracy theory about Chuck Neinas and Mike MacIntyre.

I can't speak for everyone but I think the theory was that MM wasn't exciting enough to attract top level assistant coaches and that he was dead man walking so to speak having been hired by the previous AD.

Many of us here will agree that Leavitt & Co. were massive upgrades on that side of the ball AND at recruiting. But since Rick George actually hired Leavitt, and not MM, he must be coach in waiting and MM must be a real push over. What sorcery George used on Mac to accept this Rasputin in his cabinet is the stuff of Merlin's legend.

Now, we have that MM fella hiring what appears to be another consensus home run hire on the offensive side of the ball. Which puts some cracks in the facade of the conspiracy theorists that this is really RGs work as puppet master.

Lastly, one has to only look as far as Austin to see what happens when the admin doesn't fully express its support for the current HC while he's trying to hire a new OC. Ill guess that Chivarini and Leavitt and probably Tumpkin were strong reassurances about the previous ADs hire and his future here.

I have to say that I am impressed with MMs ability to re-create himself when he'd be fired at other places. I hope it works out for him and for us. It certainly seems like he's making strides in the right direction. We are just all a little bummed that he didnt honor our timetable to delivering an immediate NC in season 1.

Did I miss anything?

I can't speak for everyone but I think the theory was that MM wasn't exciting enough to attract top level assistant coaches and that he was dead man walking so to speak having been hired by the previous AD.
I thought it was his New Balance shoes and soft, uncharasmatic personality in front of the camera that was evidence he couldn't recruit, attract good assistants, etc. At least that was the narrative from a few...

I thought it was his New Balance shoes and soft, uncharasmatic personality in front of the camera that was evidence he couldn't recruit, attract good assistants, etc. At least that was the narrative from a few...

Thats what I said.

If you'd ever spent time with Bill McCartney he was also pretty boring. Though you could get him animated once the questions become open ended v topical and you could see his passion for football.

Almost as ridiculous as the other narratives that have popped up over the last couple years:

1. Rick George needs to be completely hands-off with the football program and just write blank checks for MM. Anything more is "micromanaging. "

2. No coaches are willing to come here, so you just have to accept coaching staff dead weight.

As with many things, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

(Except for Toby, he sucks)

Reactions: aik
When Neinas gets canned, I hope it comes out as to why he was still on the staff the last 2-3 years. Neinas' connection is/was to Bohn, so any loyalties there should have died when Bohn was fired. The loyalties themselves were always a question mark to me, as Toby's dad having worked as a consultant for Bohn to hire Hawkins shouldn't add up to some sort of obligation to hire and retain Toby. I've just never been able to put the whole story together.

I will agree that OL is one of the most important positions in terms of coaching and we should not sacrifice good coaching for recruiting at that position. We need to do much better at recruiting OL though. Hopefully, MMac finds someone much better than Naeole that can do both. I would love to see us pick up Wickline.

I guess you don't remember when he physically attacked Neuheisal . . . good times!

I am curious as to how anyone truly thinks MacIntyre is the one person out scouring other coaches. My guess is they have a list of name generated from Rick George's minions (or consultants that aren't named Neinas this time around) of any potential candidates that fit so many checks on a list. Once that is done, George sits down with MacIntyre. MacIntyre sits down with current staff and figures out best fit after talking with each one of them. There is a ton that goes into these coaching hires. It's pretty much like Leavitt. None of us looked big picture but just the limited we could see around the coaching landscape. The new ST/position coach(es) could be someone on an NFL or college staff that no one is really thinking about. My guess is they are putting out feelers on everything and talking to everybody. If I had to guess it is an NFL RB coach that will be let go when the HC he works under is let go or has been or a guy from a college that is lower level or same P5 level but doesn't get much input into RBs. Who that is? Who knows?

I am curious as to how anyone truly thinks MacIntyre is the one person out scouring other coaches. My guess is they have a list of name generated from Rick George's minions (or consultants that aren't named Neinas this time around) of any potential candidates that fit so many checks on a list. Once that is done, George sits down with MacIntyre. MacIntyre sits down with current staff and figures out best fit after talking with each one of them. There is a ton that goes into these coaching hires. It's pretty much like Leavitt. None of us looked big picture but just the limited we could see around the coaching landscape. The new ST/position coach(es) could be someone on an NFL or college staff that no one is really thinking about. My guess is they are putting out feelers on everything and talking to everybody. If I had to guess it is an NFL RB coach that will be let go when the HC he works under is let go or has been or a guy from a college that is lower level or same P5 level but doesn't get much input into RBs. Who that is? Who knows?
Mac and Leavitt became, if not friends, acquaintances when they both attended the same church in San Jose. I think the JL hire was all Mac. I think going after DC was a no brainier after he whooped us in the Tony Brown recruiting battle. I can't say you're wrong, but I don't think you are giving Mac enough credit for these hires.

I'm curious how digger came up with such a detailed scenario and it is so certain to be the truth when he has nearly no information to base his fantasy on.

On a serious note, that's just a lot of speculation

Here comes Darth questioning any logic. Yes, MacIntyre had final say but my guess he has a lot of help so he can make the best choice. Yes, the church acquaintance made sense and DChev being a former Buff and being qualified made sense but I am sure there were a ton of tires kicked and thought that went into both these hires and Mac gets a lot of assistance in it. **** off Snow!
I'm curious how digger came up with such a detailed scenario and it is so certain to be the truth when he has nearly no information to base his fantasy on.

On a serious note, that's just a lot of speculation

Here comes Darth questioning any logic. Yes, MacIntyre had final say but my guess he has a lot of help so he can make the best choice. Yes, the church acquaintance made sense and DChev being a former Buff and being qualified made sense but I am sure there were a ton of tires kicked and thought that went into both these hires and Mac gets a lot of assistance in it. **** off Snow!
Well, whatever. I don't care if Vladamir Putin helped. I'm just glad to see these hires.

You take things too seriously.
6232849763bd163e81486ac2c47a07d3f852a5af91a230b9b4acb3aed8ebd608.jpg

Back