What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

Why wouldn't we bring on another staff member and fill out Hagan's old position?
I don't get this. I have long thought that almost every football team would benefit from having more smart football people on staff - even if they can't have direct coaching contact with the players.

How great would it be to have analysts closely tracking every opponent for the season, putting together preliminary game plans, studying film, preparing notes/videos/etc for the players to study, etc, etc?

As more than one person has noted: Saban has figured this out (and it sounds like Harbaugh may be figuring it out too). The official coaching staff does not have to do it all, there are a lot of tasks where they could use expert help.

I don't get this. I have long thought that almost every football team would benefit from having more smart football people on staff - even if they can't have direct coaching contact with the players.

How great would it be to have analysts closely tracking every opponent for the season, putting together preliminary game plans, studying film, preparing notes/videos/etc for the players to study, etc, etc?

As more than one person has noted: Saban has figured this out (and it sounds like Harbaugh may be figuring it out too). The official coaching staff does not have to do it all, there are a lot of tasks where they could use expert help.
Maybe if you have the budget for it. But, at some point, a school would have to look at the cost/benefit ratio. At some point you get into diminishing return on investment.

Last edited:
Maybe if you have the budget for it. But, at some point, a school would have to look at the cost/reward ratio. At some point you get into diminishing return on investment.
At some point you get to diminishing returns.

Do you think we're there? Or do you think the current coaching staff wouldn't benefit from having a few more smart football people on the staff to help with scouting, game planning, etc?

I don't care how smart you are, there are only so many hours in a day. Film study takes time - a lot of it - and if you're spending time planning practice, coaching players, traveling, recruiting, counseling, etc, etc, what do you cut back on?

You can hire extra people to do everything but directly recruit players and directly coach players. Or you can try and do it on the cheap, with as few people as possible. Guess which route CU appears to be taking?

Maybe MM could get some volunteer work done by Allbuffs members.

"putting together preliminary game plans, studying film, preparing notes/videos/etc for the players to study, etc, etc?"

Talk about a mixed bag.

"Mixed results". I like that.

giphy.gif

Crowd Source this function on a message board.

Good job for retired coaches. Probably would create some good will in state as well. Interesting idea.

Good job for retired coaches. Probably would create some good will in state as well. Interesting idea.
Just be careful who is invited to participate. Phil Bravo: "Hell yes the double wing will work in the Pac 12", "Hey McIntyre, what the hell are you doing at slot? Get under center and lead block!"

Just be careful who is invited to participate. Phil Bravo: "Hell yes the double wing will work in the Pac 12", "Hey McIntyre, what the hell are you doing at slot? Get under center and lead block!"
Or Sam Pagano. He'd feed our secrets to Michigan.

Last edited:
At some point you get to diminishing returns.

Do you think we're there? Or do you think the current coaching staff wouldn't benefit from having a few more smart football people on the staff to help with scouting, game planning, etc?

I don't care how smart you are, there are only so many hours in a day. Film study takes time - a lot of it - and if you're spending time planning practice, coaching players, traveling, recruiting, counseling, etc, etc, what do you cut back on?

You can hire extra people to do everything but directly recruit players and directly coach players. Or you can try and do it on the cheap, with as few people as possible. Guess which route CU appears to be taking?
WRONG! The average amount of action from a 2.5 hour game, from plays conducted on the field is about ten minutes, roughly 5 per offense and 5 per defense. If you double that to take into account pre-play adjustments and motion, you're all the way up to 10 whole "f'-in' minutes !

The guys with the hardest "film study" job these days are the video guys who break down the game video into usable parts and they're geeks, not coaches. Coaches and players view a finished product.
Its not like the old days of film and shi*ty, worn-out projectors, with mediocre optics, fighting your way through twenty minutes of crap to find exactly what you want. The other day I re-watched the entire Super Bowl in 45 minutes, just cutting out commercials and third+ re-play reviews.
If I was a video expert or not lazy, I could have cut it to ten minutes.

Also, the geeks with computers, can now pinpoint tendencies in about an hour of video study, having broken down video into indexed plays. You can have a disc of an opponents' "third down and 5 or less to go", tendencies for an entire season indexed.

WRONG! The average amount of action from a 2.5 hour game, from plays conducted on the field is about ten minutes, roughly 5 per offense and 5 per defense. If you double that to take into account pre-play adjustments and motion, you're all the way up to 10 whole "f'-in' minutes !

The guys with the hardest "film study" job these days are the video guys who break down the game video into usable parts and they're geeks, not coaches. Coaches and players view a finished product.
Its not like the old days of film and shi*ty, worn-out projectors, with mediocre optics, fighting your way through twenty minutes of crap to find exactly what you want. The other day I re-watched the entire Super Bowl in 45 minutes, just cutting out commercials and third+ re-play reviews.

Also, the geeks with computers, can now pinpoint tendencies in about an hour of video study, having broken down video into indexed plays. You can have a disc of an opponents' "third down and 5 or less to go", tendencies for an entire season indexed.

Buffenuf-slapped?

So... Tell me, what does Saban have all his "analysts" doing?

Taking up space?
Wasting money?
He put them on staff to deny their services to other coaches?*

The best in the business thinks a much larger staff is necessary, and in the meantime we're shrinking ours...

*I think this is probably the least likely, as I'm pretty sure an actual coaching position at another school would pretty much always be the better career move. So, not saying Saban wouldn't do it for that reason, I just don't see a coach taking the offer if that's the actual motivation.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Colorado: Per source, former Montana State tight ends coach / special teams coordinator Daniel DePrato has been hired as an offensive quality control analyst.

Hawkins got a new gig too (from the same link).
Dan Hawkins: Dan Hawkins, the former head coach at Boise State, Colorado, and with the Montreal Alouettes (Canada), has been named offensive coordinator of the Vienna Vikings of the Austrian Football League.

How do you say "We know how to do this thing" in Deutcshe?

Dan Hawkins: Dan Hawkins, the former head coach at Boise State, Colorado, and with the Montreal Alouettes (Canada), has been named offensive coordinator of the Vienna Vikings of the Austrian Football League.

After he signed the contract he was shocked and pissed at his agent. "Wait! I thought you meant the Minnesota Vikings!"

I will never again eat their sausages! Plus, who alliterates with Vs?

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...cle_56aca1d6-98fd-11e2-98e2-001a4bcf887a.html

Ash said he wasn’t as familiar with DaPrato personally as much as he was with the job the former Louisiana-Monroe quarterback had done with the Hornets. While at Sacramento State, DaPrato coached kicker Chris Diniz to an honorable mention All-Conference selection. That year, the senior made 13-of-15 field goals, including a pair from 50-plus yards.

Last season, the Hornets finished second in the Big Sky in average kickoff return at about 25 yards but third to last in return coverage at a net of nearly 39 yards.

“(Sacramento State) was really good; they were very aggressive,” Ash said. “They blocked a lot of kicks and returned a lot of kicks. They had very good success in all aspects of special teams. I guess that was the interview in some respects.”

Only article I could find on him lol. After taking the Montana State job. Article also notes that he got the job for his ability to recruit southern Cal.

He's one firing away from coaching intramurals brother.

Back