What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 All-in-One Assistant Coaches Compendium Thread - hagan in, bernardi to te, adams ol -

People are obsessing over keeping Bernardi but that's not what this season and the MacIntyre era lives or dies on. It's like blaming Neinas for us not bowling the last two years, his poor coaching and recruiting certainly didn't help but he really wasn't a significant hindrance to our goals, but Bernardi on the other hand was a significant hindrance. The big deal here is Klayton Adams, combined with a number of other factors, is Adams the upgrade we needed at OL? Is Chev the solution to Lindgren's deficiencies?

Maybe Bernardi isn't the recruiter some wanted, but he really has very little effect on whether we bowl in 2016 now and he's likely one year away from retiring. You could switch him with the best TE coach in the world and it would still have very little effect on 2016, IMO. Point being, Bernardi was demoted from a position with a large effect on whether we bowl in 2016, to a position that has little effect, Adams on the other hand did the opposite and yet all people can talk about is Bernardi. Yes I would rather Bernardi not be here, but for me the main thing that matters is whether Adams can be successful.

Last edited:
Honest question, cause I forget. Was Hagen lead on D Scott? No matter how his career turned out, that was the highest ranked recruit CU ever brought in.

Why keep bernardi at all? That's a recruiter spot. And why not announce a month ago. Weird

Bernardi has some interesting recruiting channels that he seems work in weird ways to come up with decent recruits, Oliver comes directly to mind. He's definitely not a closer or rah-rah type but he's done some good things along the way and I think HCMM relies on his judgment in choosing "diamond-in-the-rough" guys from those mini-camps. As a coach he seems like the type that can do okay with excellent talent, but cannot inspire development of a younger OL group. Easy to make the Boselli's of the world look good. The Lisellas? Not so much for Bernardi. Plus he was saddled with Forman's non-development of OL strength.[/QUOTE]

Nerding out a little. A FB friend of mine (Rick Grunden) is great buddies with Darian Hagan and posted an article about his new job. I posted a reply saying how I think it's great he's back on the field and that the Buffs are gonna turn some heads and Darian liked my post. LOL...I'm such a dork :LOL:

Nerding out a little. A FB friend of mine (Rick Grunden) is great buddies with Darian Hagan and posted an article about his new job. I posted a reply saying how I think it's great he's back on the field and that the Buffs are gonna turn some heads and Darian liked my post. LOL...I'm such a dork :LOL:

All the proof I need of our Return To Dominance. Von of A&M, we comin' for you!

all seems pretty weird. They just thought of Hagan recently? Surely doesn't inspire confidence we did much of a search..

Oh well. Bowl game or new coach

Honest question, cause I forget. Was Hagen lead on D Scott? No matter how his career turned out, that was the highest ranked recruit CU ever brought in.
Highest rated bust. Did we get him because other recruiters figured it out? No troll, can't remember either.

Highest rated bust. Did we get him because other recruiters figured it out? No troll, can't remember either.
If I remember correctly, he specifically said that Hagan, as RB coach, was a big reason why he chose CU (Texas did not have a dedicated RB coach - I think Applewhite was coaching QBs and RBs)

@Jeric, the issue is we are entering year four, so no reason we cannot have assistants who can coach and recruit. The idea that coaching continuity is of paramount importance is something that honestly was misguided two years ago and it is just as misguided today. This coaching staff needs to be recruiting like madmen all the way to signing day. If we get to a bowl game, this staff should be well-positioned to take advantage.

It also continues a strange pattern of MM making changes, but never actually going far enough. In filling the last two vacancies in 2013, he had a chance to get another assistant or two like Walters, assistant(s) outside his SJSU coaches with recent P5 experience. Instead, he ended up with LaRussa and Neinas, so we essentially got the SJSU and Neinas. Adams as the RB/TE coach... huh?

After the 2014 season, he rightfully made changes on the defensive side of the ball, but kept Neinas, despite him being a clear deficiency on the staff. Recruiting continued to struggle and special teams were really bad in 2015.

Now he keeps Bernardi on staff in a demoted role. So if we make a bowl, he retires? Then we wait until after signing day to fill another vacancy?

It just seems like MM could be more proactive than he has been to date.

@Jeric, the issue is we are entering year four, so no reason we cannot have assistants who can coach and recruit. The idea that coaching continuity is of paramount importance is something that honestly was misguided two years ago and it is just as misguided today. This coaching staff needs to be recruiting like madmen all the way to signing day. If we get to a bowl game, this staff should be well-positioned to take advantage.

It also continues a strange pattern of MM making changes, but never actually going far enough. In filling the last two vacancies in 2013, he had a chance to get another assistant or two like Walters, assistant(s) outside his SJSU coaches with recent P5 experience. Instead, he ended up with LaRussa and Neinas, so we essentially got the SJSU and Neinas. Adams as the RB/TE coach... huh?

After the 2014 season, he rightfully made changes on the defensive side of the ball, but kept Neinas, despite him being a clear deficiency on the staff. Recruiting continued to struggle and special teams were really bad in 2015.

Now he keeps Bernardi on staff in a demoted role. So if we make a bowl, he retires? Then we wait until after signing day to fill another vacancy?

It just seems like MM could be more proactive than he has been to date.
Well I never said anything about coaching continuity, which I agree is not that important, or that MacIntyre was making the right decisions here. I would have preferred Adams kept in either a RB or TE role and us hire an OL coach/Run game coordinator or Co-OC (a title which didn't necessarily need to be given to Chev) - I do not believe without giving someone a significant title/pay upgrade that we would have been able to get anybody decent (Hell, we even had to do that to get Chev). I'm not at all saying you have to agree with MacIntyre's decisions, because I don't really either. But my point is he demoted Bernardi to an irrelevant role which is at least better than him being in a relevant role next season, and the main focus for me would be whether Adams can get it done as an OL coach. I don't understand why Mac kept Bernardi or why he continues this "strange pattern" as you say. My point was not to defend him, but rather critique the fact that everyone seems to be looking at this wrong, IMO. Yeah, I don't know why Bernardi is still on the staff just like I don't know why Neinas was on the staff last year, but the critical positions like OL coach are what will define our season and Adams being able to succeed in that role is what's important. And obviously no one has any clue whether he will, but that's what I feel should be critically examined here, as confusing as keeping Bernardi is.

Generally speaking though, I don't think we could have grabbed a better TE coach than Bernardi because it doesn't offer enough to lure a good coach to the position in pay or title upgrade, that's why I would have kept Adams there and looked to an OL coach where we could offer those things. I do know that Adams and Bernardi switching roles and having a dedicated RB coach is likely far better than what we had last season though, and that is ultimately my hope and that it will be good enough to get us to a bowl game in 2016. MacIntyre's flawed but is it a critical flaw? I guess we'll see.

Fair post. Hopefully things work out and we move on from Bernardi after next season (and right away, not next February).

Fair post. Hopefully things work out and we move on from Bernardi after next season (and right away, not next February).
F
Seriously, he should be putting the word out this summer and if he makes a bowl game and gets that extension he should have someone lined up in early December to come in and land a couple kids like DC did this year.

Well I never said anything about coaching continuity, which I agree is not that important, or that MacIntyre was making the right decisions here. I would have preferred Adams kept in either a RB or TE role and us hire an OL coach/Run game coordinator or Co-OC (a title which didn't necessarily need to be given to Chev) - I do not believe without giving someone a significant title/pay upgrade that we would have been able to get anybody decent (Hell, we even had to do that to get Chev). I'm not at all saying you have to agree with MacIntyre's decisions, because I don't really either. But my point is he demoted Bernardi to an irrelevant role which is at least better than him being in a relevant role next season, and the main focus for me would be whether Adams can get it done as an OL coach. I don't understand why Mac kept Bernardi or why he continues this "strange pattern" as you say. My point was not to defend him, but rather critique the fact that everyone seems to be looking at this wrong, IMO. Yeah, I don't know why Bernardi is still on the staff just like I don't know why Neinas was on the staff last year, but the critical positions like OL coach are what will define our season and Adams being able to succeed in that role is what's important. And obviously no one has any clue whether he will, but that's what I feel should be critically examined here, as confusing as keeping Bernardi is.

Generally speaking though, I don't think we could have grabbed a better TE coach than Bernardi because it doesn't offer enough to lure a good coach to the position in pay or title upgrade, that's why I would have kept Adams there and looked to an OL coach where we could offer those things. I do know that Adams and Bernardi switching roles and having a dedicated RB coach is likely far better than what we had last season though, and that is ultimately my hope and that it will be good enough to get us to a bowl game in 2016. MacIntyre's flawed but is it a critical flaw? I guess we'll see.
I agree with most of what you are saying, except I think we could have found a young, up and coming TE coach to replace Bernardi and we should have. we would be better off with a better recruiter starting now.
If MMac wants to do right by Bernardi, I'm fine with that, but move him to an analyst role at reduced pay and responsibility until he retires. use the rest of his salary on an younger coach that has potential. Even if it is a very young coach given his first shot at P5 football. Say a hs coach from Texas.

Here is the thing for me, I have no problem going cheap on coaches (I hope bernardi isn't making that salary after this weekend) but when a good coach gets an offer for a big job which I feel leavitt will likely be in line for next year, we have to pony up and pay them. If an SEC school comes after Leavitt for a million a year you have to match that. If the AD doesn't I will be disappointed.

Definitely pay to keep the good ones. One of Barnetts biggest mistake was letting Embree and Bieneimy to ucla.
One other comment. I'm diasspointed MMac didn't go far enough, like Duff man said. But this staff is much much better than MMacs first staff. We're moving in th right direction.

This actually reflects a lot of what was going on at the end of last season, I've been told. GAs were handling RBs and Adams was involved with OL.

I think HCMM decided he wanted one gray beard in the offensive meetings this year since everyone was new or reassigned.

This actually reflects a lot of what was going on at the end of last season, I've been told. GAs were handling RBs and Adams was involved with OL.

I think HCMM decided he wanted one gray beard in the offensive meetings this year since everyone was new or reassigned.
...and since Dan Haggerty died, Bernardi stays on.

I agree.
Jeric posted earlier, I'm paraphrasing, that Bernardi staying is not going to have nearly as much impact on our success this season as Adams and I agree with that too. For the record, I think Adams will do a great job. I think he is going to be a very good coach.
After living with the Bernardi decision awhile, I am good with it.
MMac strength is not offense. He needs an offensive staff that he can trust.
Switching out 3 of 4 coaches in a make or break season would be a big risk. The reward for that risk would be having a more active recruiter on staff for an extra year. And if MMac doesn't go bowling, the recruiting is a mute point. Besides, Bernardi, though not the strongest recruiter on staff, does bring something to the recruiting table.
The staff changes have already improved our ability to recruit. Waiting a year to strengthen it more is worth it. It is critical we get to a bowl.
In hindsight, if MMac wanted to make a change to improve recruiting, switching out Jeffcoat for a young recruiter, would probably have less of an impact on the coaching ability of the staff, simply because of the experience of the other coaches on the defensive side and MMac's strength being on defense. Though that can wait a year too. Priority one is going bowling.

It's a moo point.

It's like a cow's opinion; it just doesn't matter!
-Joey Tribiani

moot-point.jpeg

Back