What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

CFB final is boring now. The OL ball coach would bring it to life.

So much trash talk.

This.
I understand Buff fans desire to see success on the field. MacIntyre was brought in here to do just that. He inherited a mess from the last coach, and the one before that. Players win games, and although MacIntyre is also responsible for recruitment of players, it takes years to see a change. A losing record doesn't help with getting good players.

Firing MacIntyre might be stupid. Which successful coach wants to come to a program that needs to start from the ground up but has a history of firing coaches during rebuild? There are many people who think CU was lucky to get MacIntyre from San Jose. What kid wants to commit to a team where their recruiter is likely to get fired and replaced by god knows who?

You guys are better off with some damn consistency for awhile. Patience sucks in this game, but doing what you been doing aint working either, and the prospects look worse as you continue.

This is a legitimate point. Were at a crossroads. Or we will be at one at the end of the year. Maybe we keep Mac but shake up the staff again.

Please explain. Not in any way saying alcoholism is not a disease, my impression is that it is fully accepted in the medical community. I also have a couple of longtime friends who are dealing with it, fortunately they have remained in sobriety.

Post is in reference to the idea that Sark, wisely, may have reminded Haden that while it is legal to fire somebody for inappropriate use of alcohol they have legal protections against firing them for a medical reason.

Had it simply been a case of Sark being under the influence at work, failing to appear for for certain obligations etc. they may have had cause to fire him for cause and not owe him his full buyout. Once it becomes an issue of a medical condition that goes out the window. They can get rid of him but they owe him his money.

Either way he is still going to end up not the coach of USC but this way they end up paying him what they owe him.

Don't see that as out of line.

Thats how I interpreted the post as well.

You didn't strike a nerve but I a) think it's idiotic to play down alcoholism by implying that he might have used it to keep Haden from firing him and b) then double down on stupid by saying "but this is a football thread" when you get called on it. Going by your logic, you think it'd be perfectly fine to first and foreall discuss the effects on the CU football if a personal tragedy, and as alcoholism is a disease this IS a tragedy, befell a current player or coach. Get a ****ing grip.

I think he did strike a nerve.

Yes he did. Those UF teams where fun to watch. He also resurrected that program because it wasn't in very good shape before he came along.

He woke up the sleeping giant that is Florida football. Crazy to think that was a struggling program before he got there.

Here is what I know about Sark from a friend who's son plays on the D-Line at UW.
1. He has a major drinking problem.
2. He has regular melt downs in practice. Multiple times he has walked off the practice field, jumped in his car, and drove home, leaving the assistants to finish practice and whatever post practice work needed to take place.
3. Has "his guys" on the team, and doesn't even talk to the other players, or call them by their name.

There is a pretty big group of parents who drew a line in the sand this year. "If he's not gone by the end of the season, we're transferring".

Chuck_Schick, Dec 3, 2013EditReport

12/3/13 - Called it.
Hayden really needs to go...but I hope to hell he makes the next hire too!

Here is what I know about Sark from a friend who's son plays on the D-Line at UW.
1. He has a major drinking problem.
2. He has regular melt downs in practice. Multiple times he has walked off the practice field, jumped in his car, and drove home, leaving the assistants to finish practice and whatever post practice work needed to take place.
3. Has "his guys" on the team, and doesn't even talk to the other players, or call them by their name.

There is a pretty big group of parents who drew a line in the sand this year. "If he's not gone by the end of the season, we're transferring".

Chuck_Schick, Dec 3, 2013EditReport

12/3/13 - Called it.
#2 and #3 - see #1

He has already auditioned...

turtleman-pictures2.jpg
Live action

Finebaum on Mickey and Mickey said he expects Kelly and Sumlin to be the front runners for the SC job

He woke up the sleeping giant that is Florida football. Crazy to think that was a struggling program before he got there.

I was a kid when he was hired. They were on NCAA probation when Steve arrived and nearly got the death penalty.

South Carolina was in even worse shape than UF and he turned them into a legit program with three 11 win seasons.

Finebaum on Mickey and Mickey said he expects Kelly and Sumlin to be the front runners for the SC job
Chip Kelly is very unlikely to return to CFB. Sumlin already makes a fortune, already in the SEC, and aTm is a better gig than being the head cock. Finebaum's ears don't hear much IMO.

I thought CU had money issues...

When you look at where South Carolina was before he got there the job Spurrier did was even more impressive.

They are a classic example of a school that is in over it's head in the conference. They want to be successfull but simply don't have the kind of money behind them or the culture and support that the other SEC schools have. They have 20 bowls in their history and 9 of them were with Spurrier.

Chip Kelly is very unlikely to return to CFB. Sumlin already makes a fortune, already in the SEC, and aTm is a better gig than being the head ****. Finebaum's ears don't hear much IMO.

Not sure how tuned in Finebaum is outside the Southeast, but college will be the only place to go for Kelly.

The USC job requires a certain kind of coach. It is one of those jobs were they expect a celebrity coach.

They have a tremendous history and huge resources but kind of like Texas they also have the big money guys behind that money who have to be catered to and expect to be listened to. Not as bad as Texas (don't think anyone is) but still takes a certain kind of coach to thrive in that environment. Pete Carrol was the model USC coach in that regard.

A guy with that accent west of the Mississippi would be ... interesting.

(CFB is a great subreddit, btw)
Tis. also, when asked why "we aren't as good as I thought we were gonna be." lol.

and he doubts he will be a head coach again cause of recruiting, but could see himself on a team again without being a HC. "that would be fun"

Dammit!

Last edited:
The USC job requires a certain kind of coach. It is one of those jobs were they expect a celebrity coach.

They have a tremendous history and huge resources but kind of like Texas they also have the big money guys behind that money who have to be catered to and expect to be listened to. Not as bad as Texas (don't think anyone is) but still takes a certain kind of coach to thrive in that environment. Pete Carrol was the model USC coach in that regard.
Which is why Kelly would be a horrible fit. At Oregon, he really didn't have to keep the boosters or the media happy. All he needed to do was win games and go about his business. Kelly may go to USC but I don't think it will end well.

"College football is a game of recruiting" can someone send this memo to HCMM?

In fact, Duff may make this quote his signature.

Back