What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

I think you're right, especially if Dallas falls short of the playoffs this year (which I'm expecting them to do w/o Romo and Dez).

Garrett only signed a 5 year extension in January and Jerry Jones has this crazy love affair with him. I also think Payton has more than once turned down Dallas in the past.

Garrett only signed a 5 year extension in January and Jerry Jones has this crazy love affair with him. I also think Payton has more than once turned down Dallas in the past.
I didn't know that, thanks. In that case, maybe not; I just feel like Payton to Dallas has been rumored for a while now, which I never really understood.

There would not be an issue buying out Garrett - Jerry's world is already paid for so there's really nothing to stop the zany billionaire from pursuing whoever, whenever.

Who wants to work for Jerry if he has a choice. You have an owner who will spend the money to do anything he wants to make the team better but on the other side you have an owner who wants to be the next Al Davis running every aspect of the team. Doesn't matter if he knows what he is doing, the head coach is not the man in charge and everyone including the players know it.

For a guy like Garrett wanting his first NFL head coaching job that's a good deal. For a guy like Payton who has a resume that will get him multiple other offers that isn't a good deal.

USC has been trying to find the next Pete Carroll ever since he left. Makes sense that their get the old Pete Carroll if give the opportunity.

Historically, that kind of thing doesn't work out so well, but neither does hiring an NFL guy for a college coaching job, so this might work for them. That would piss me off.

ESPN suggests that RichRod would be an ideal candidate to take over for the Ol' Ball Coach at South Carolina. Please get him out of the Pac-12 so AZ can go back to the football wasteland from whence they came.

Seems to me Rich Rod would be more comfortable staying in Tucson than moving to the irrational atmosphere of Columbia, especially after his Michigan experience, but I'm not him.

Seems to me Rich Rod would be more comfortable staying in Tucson than moving to the irrational atmosphere of Columbia, especially after his Michigan experience, but I'm not him.

More and more people are saying he wants out of Tucson.

I keep hearing VA Tech or South Carolina for Rich Rod.

Regarding the UA ceiling vs the CU ceiling, look no further than what has been achieved here vs there in the past. We know that CU can win conference championships, go to major bowls, finish in the top 10 and play for the national championship in the post-season... because it has been done here.

I keep hearing VA Tech or South Carolina for Rich Rod.

Regarding the UA ceiling vs the CU ceiling, look no further than what has been achieved here vs there in the past. We know that CU can win conference championships, go to major bowls, finish in the top 10 and play for the national championship in the post-season... because it has been done here.
So because a school has never won a National Championship, they are considered to have a capped ceiling? I'm not going to downplay CU football's past accomplishments, but I struggle to see how our achievements in the distant past mean we have a higher ceiling in today's college football landscape than the likes of Arizona, who was just in the conference championship game last year.

So because a school has never won a National Championship, they are considered to have a capped ceiling? I'm not going to downplay CU football's past accomplishments, but I struggle to see how our achievements in the distant past mean we have a higher ceiling in today's college football landscape than the likes of Arizona, who was just in the conference championship game last year.

I think the issue with Arizona is they are a basketball school and will always be a basketball school.

Reactions: SBG

Basically, turn that around. We know what CU's ceiling is. That's established. Arizona may have a similar ceiling, but they have not proved they can get to that point. And with them being the #2 P5 football program in their own state along with being a basketball school, their ceiling is limited. Just as UCLA gets limited by being #2 in their own city and a basketball school. UCLA has gotten closer and will again due to other advantages (#1 most applied to school in the country proves its desirability and the LA recruiting grounds are 2nd to none), but even they haven't shown they can be elite for more than blips on the radar.

Historically, schools are either very good at football or basketball, but not both. There have been exceptions, including Florida, Michigan, Texas and Ohio State. But those ADs have exceptional resources. Arizona doesn't have those resources and will always be, first and foremost, a basketball school. The football season is an afterthought down there. So long as the basketball team is killing it, Arizona's AD's job is safe.

From a recruiting standpoint, Arizona is second fiddle to ASU in its own state. That's why, in the long run, ASU has a higher ceiling in football than Arizona.

Despite the above, I have a hard time explaining why, with the current state of our program, our long term ceiling is higher than Arizona's. A few years ago, I would've claimed a richer football history and better recruiting out of Texas, but Texas recruiting is close to dead and that history is getting further and further in the rearview mirror. Many will tell you it should be easier to recruit to Boulder, but I'm an alumnus of both schools and Arizona isn't a shabby place to spend a few years either. I still think our ceiling is higher, but to explain why I have to revert to the fact that our AD appears to be prioritizing football, and that we've been to the mountaintop in the past. Not a great answer.

It's more than that. They've never won the Pac-10/12 (one shared title with USC and UCLA in 93) outright, never played in the Rose Bowl, never had a Heisman winner, won exactly one major bowl game (Fiesta in 94), and no, they've never won a national championship, obviously. They are a mediocre football program in every sense of the word, with a handful of above average seasons.

It's more than that. They've never won the Pac-10/12 (one shared title with USC and UCLA in 93) outright, never played in the Rose Bowl, never had a Heisman winner, won exactly one major bowl game (Fiesta in 94), and no, they've never won a national championship, obviously. They are a mediocre football program in every sense of the word, with a handful of above average seasons.
Just playing devil's advocate... They have a comparable all time winning percentage as us, a better bowl winning percentage, we've never won a National Title outright, and we've only played in one major bowl game since 1990. Arizona may play second fiddle in recruiting to ASU, but their second fiddle is far better than us being #1 in Colorado. I just think we, as CU fans, put a little too much stock into our major accomplishments that happened 25 years ago.

Back