What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

So we should fire MikMac yesterday?

I am for retaining MM based on what I see as improvement. I would also add that he should be retained when you consider the large amount of openings/future openings. CU would be near the bottom of the P5 pecking order for new hires, especially when you consider 2 coaches in a row had a short hook.

I am for retaining MM based on what I see as improvement. I would also add that he should be retained when you consider the large amount of openings/future openings. CU would be near the bottom of the P5 pecking order for new hires, especially when you consider 2 coaches in a row had a short hook.
I lean towards keeping him too, just joking about Miami's "4th coach you hire is the home run" theory (which I think he was joking about too).

Some real weirdness going on with the Miami / Texas dynamic. Strong just held an unscheduled presser that a lot of folks expected to address the Miami rumors...that didn't really address the Miami rumors. There seems to be a significant faction at Texas that wants him gone, and there are stories continuing to come out of Miami that they've tabbed him as their top candidate. Kind of get the feeling they are in a game of chicken where they'd all be happy if the move happened, but nobody wants to be on the hook financially one way or the other for his buyout.

Some real weirdness going on with the Miami / Texas dynamic. Strong just held an unscheduled presser that a lot of folks expected to address the Miami rumors...that didn't really address the Miami rumors. There seems to be a significant faction at Texas that wants him gone, and there are stories continuing to come out of Miami that they've tabbed him as their top candidate. Kind of get the feeling they are in a game of chicken where they'd all be happy if the move happened, but nobody wants to be on the hook financially one way or the other for his buyout.
Unscheduled presser? Even more interesting than I thought. Maybe we could have the big cigars arm wrestle Luke Skywalker and the 2 Live crew in a gator filled mosh pit for the rights to Strong.....

Unscheduled presser? Even more interesting than I thought. Maybe we could have the big cigars arm wrestle Luke Skywalker and the 2 Live crew in a gator filled mosh pit for the rights to Strong.....
Wake me when Shaggy has live Flight Tracker threads.

I saw that it wasn't an unscheduled pressed it is just different because of thanksgiving break or something like that.

He did address it kinda, but said it was "all rumor" and that he had a job to get done there. A lot of people thought it wasn't a real strong denial apparently.

ESPN with an article today updating some of the searches.

Fuente favorite for VT job
South Carolina focusing on Herman and potentially Clay Helton if he finishes the year strong at USC

*Herman is considered a secondary option of USC but they dont mention who the favorites are

I think Big Jim meant "death knell." I have him on ignore, otherwise I might have corrected him in real time.
62fe7b7c3474428379fffd1f130e9a921ac8b60ccda0c44f25414793622d6d84.jpg

CS to Miami rumors abound, so much that Dennis Dodd is reporting the big cigars at UT are contemplating another run at Saban. This is gonna be good, I think...

Damn I don't see many schools paying that buyout.

Actually texas would do that, they would throw 10 million at saban.

Last edited:
Wow, Pinkel is a great HC. Don James disciple. Best wishes.
Don't mention Don James! Pains me when I think he could have replaced Eddie Crowder just a couple of years after leaving his position as Crowder's DC in Boulder!

Instead Eddie chose Flavor of the Year, Bill Mallory, the Dan "f'n" H*****s of his time! Didn't even bother to interview James, though James was begging for one!

Don't mention Don James! Pains me when I think he could have replaced Eddie Crowder just a couple of years after leaving his position as Crowder's DC in Boulder!

Instead Eddie chose Flavor of the Year, Bill Mallory, the Dan "f'n" H*****s of his time! Didn't even bother to interview James, though James was begging for one!
I would not go that far, Mallory, though not perfect, was no Dan Hawkins. We did win the Big 8 in 76 and get to the Orange Bowl. Things did slide downhill after that and he got fired. He also had success at Indiana after CU.

More smoke that Les has to win out to secure his job

Rabalais notes that there are three major scenarios in play.
  1. LSU wins out – In which case Les is “clearly safe”; however Rabalais adds that staff changes could be in the offing.
  2. LSU loses out – “There is little chance Miles would be allowed to return”.
  3. LSU splits these two games – Many shades of gray. Poker. This could go in any direction and the gloves might come off.
Miles’ buyout is $15 million if he is let go prior to January 1, at which time it drops to $12.9 million. Throw in another $2 million for the assistants (per Rabalais) and perhaps another $5 million to secure the new staff…and oh my this would the riskiest move Joe Alleva has ever recommended in his life. Better be right Joe.

More smoke that Les has to win out to secure his job

Rabalais notes that there are three major scenarios in play.
  1. LSU wins out – In which case Les is “clearly safe”; however Rabalais adds that staff changes could be in the offing.
  2. LSU loses out – “There is little chance Miles would be allowed to return”.
  3. LSU splits these two games – Many shades of gray. Poker. This could go in any direction and the gloves might come off.
Miles’ buyout is $15 million if he is let go prior to January 1, at which time it drops to $12.9 million. Throw in another $2 million for the assistants (per Rabalais) and perhaps another $5 million to secure the new staff…and oh my this would the riskiest move Joe Alleva has ever recommended in his life. Better be right Joe.

If that's the way they want to go then I I bet LSU would REALLY like someone else to hire Les this year and offset some of that buyout liability, but as Nik pointed 62 is getting up there for Les to start over at a new school.

Back