What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

Reset:
2. Purdue- Darrell Hazell fired. Names: early rumor Troy Calhoun of AFA (he has since denied), and practically every B1G assistant out there, search firm hired.

1. Fresno- Jeff Tedford gets the job, mid-season. Good hire, but the timing is weird. Of note, D II Danny applied and interviewed for the gig, according to the Fresno Bee.
Does Purdue's search firm have someone working there named Nienas. If so look out for a wasted assistant coach position.

If I'm Fresno and I see that the quality of candidates I'm attracting includes Hawkins, I'm hiring Tedford immediately as well.

Why does Hawkins even try? Is he so obtuse that he doesn't realize how bad his reputation is? Did he really think Fresno was going to hire him after his latest stint with Montreal ended in complete disaster?

Does Purdue's search firm have someone working there named Nienas. If so look out for a wasted assistant coach position.

If I'm Fresno and I see that the quality of candidates I'm attracting includes Hawkins, I'm hiring Tedford immediately as well.
I think the search firm is DHR, not Neinas.

Why does Hawkins even try? Is he so obtuse that he doesn't realize how bad his reputation is? Did he really think Fresno was going to hire him after his latest stint with Montreal ended in complete disaster?
Are you really asking if D II Danny is that obtuse? You were here for his ****show right?

I was watching the SMU game last weekend, and F***ing HaLkins was the color commentator of that game. It pissed me off that he wasn't still in Switzerland being an OC for some ex-pat high school.

If that guy is hired by another university as something other than waterboy I would laugh. I bet Saban wouldn't let him be a volunteer intern on his staff.

Difference being that he isn't perpetually in 2nd place to Clemson. They will have up years and down years. At LSU - or any SEC school for that matter - you're usually playing for second until Saban leaves. Saban is a machine. The only coach that can compete with him, IMO, is Urban Meyer.

I get the feeling Harbaugh will beat Saban at some point before Nick hangs it up. Honestly, I think Jimbo Fisher fits better at Texas. He can name his salary at UT, which I don't think LSU could do. His path to the playoff would be ridiculously easy in the Big 12, and way easier than it currently is-he'd be dealing with mainly OU. Tom Herman just fits better in Baton Rouge. He doesn't have any ties to the man those fans want to beat. His up-tempo offense is just what they want. He went to college with Dave Aranda, and they're still friends. Aranda, from what I read, is somebody LSU wants to keep. Herman probably doesn't run them as much, and that's important, given the debt crisis allowed Miles to survive last year.

Reset:
I am really surprised there isn't more spin to the carousel by now.

Open jobs:

1. Purdue- Darrell Hazell fired. Names: Troy Calhoun of AFA (he has since denied), former LSU HC Les Miles, Jacksonville Jag OC Greg Olson. Les Miles supposedly wants to bring Steve Sarkisian and Mike Locksley with him. P.J. Fleck also being mentioned.
2. LSU- Les Miles canned. Ed "The Cajun Wild Man" Orgeron at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Jimbo Fisher rumored to be the guy, as noted above by TDforTD, Ed Oregeron named a "strong candidate", other names include Herman, Fedora, Gundy and Holgerson.

Jobs filled:

1. Fresno- Jeff Tedford gets the job, mid-season. Good hire, but the timing is weird. Of note, D II Danny applied and interviewed for the gig, according to the Fresno Bee.
2. FIU- Butch Davis takes the FIU gig. 5 year deal and all the Banana Boat products he wants.

Highly probable openings:

1. Baylor- Old Man Grobe at the helm with an interim tag. Names: Don't know, but something tells me Dykes may be on their radar, reports Les Miles has spoken with the crazy Baptists. Chad Morriss, Tom Herman, Dino Babers and, according to some MikMac himself.
2. UT-I'll go ahead and add them here, Strong is 5-5. I really doubt he will survive.
3. Oregon- I'll speculate a little here too, I don't think Helfrich survives the 3-7 dumpster fire he started in Eugene. ESPN hack said a week ago or so that Uncle Phil is ready to throw a ton of cash at a proven winner...not good news for Helfrich. Update: Oregon denies report via former AD Kilkenny.

Last edited:
The quiet before the storm? "Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, because you're fired."

It does seem pretty quiet. I'm thinking UT has to be prepping for a change once the season is over, and has probably been quietly testing the waters with potential replacements already.

This issue got me to thinking: there are certain schools that can't afford a like warm hire. They need to make a big splash. UT is one of those schools. It's more important to them to get a name than it is to get an actual good coach. If they can get both, that's better (for them, I'd be fine with them sucking for eternity).
We, OTOH, are in a place where if we were to lose MM, we could hire from a much deeper pool that includes assistants at big schools, G5 head coaches, etc.

It does seem pretty quiet. I'm thinking UT has to be prepping for a change once the season is over, and has probably been quietly testing the waters with potential replacements already.

This issue got me to thinking: there are certain schools that can't afford a like warm hire. They need to make a big splash. UT is one of those schools. It's more important to them to get a name than it is to get an actual good coach. If they can get both, that's better (for them, I'd be fine with them sucking for eternity).
We, OTOH, are in a place where if we were to lose MM, we could hire from a much deeper pool that includes assistants at big schools, G5 head coaches, etc.
We ain't losing him. Not with his son as an active member of the team.

There's a "Fire Dykes" thread on the Bear Insider board. It contains this genius post :ROFLMAO::

I saw it playing out this way 3 years ago. Cal is very predictable. As are pumpers. The pumper cycle:

Step 1: Old coach was evil and incompetent. Everything was all his fault. New coach is awesome. He'll turn things around. And he loves Cal. Always wanted to coach here since his grandfather was born. Cares about academics. He'll do things the right way.

Step 2: Can't blame new coach. Old coach left him an impossible situation. Be patient.

Step 3: He just needs to hire a new coordinator. Give him a chance to fix his mistakes. Be patient.

Step 4: it is all your fault for being so negative. You are going to chase away our best chance when we are just on the cusp of turning things around.

Step 5: we have to extend because of recruiting you morons. We can still fire him whenever we want

Step 6: we can't fire him you morons. We just extended him.

Step 7: okay he isn't very good but who else are we going to get? Better keep him.

Step 8: it's not his fault. Cal sucks. We aren't worthy of a good coach. We will always suck anyway. Might as well keep him.

Step 9: Desperation sets in. You gonna write the check?!?!?!

Step 10: coach is evil and incompetent. All his fault. He never cared about us. Remember when he did all those terrible things I claimed he didn't do? New coach loves us and will be our savior.

We ain't losing him. Not with his son as an active member of the team.
Yeah, that wasn't really my point. I just used us as an example. My point was that for some schools, they can't just hire the guy who is the best coach. They are forced to hire a guy who will draw attention to the program.

Yeah, that wasn't really my point. I just used us as an example. My point was that for some schools, they can't just hire the guy who is the best coach. They are forced to hire a guy who will draw attention to the program.
No argument there.

The quiet before the storm? "Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving, because you're fired."
Yeah, I remember how that went in 2009 and then D2 Danny ended up with a ****ing sweet Thanksgiving.
Never felt better than when I yelled "Thanks for destroying the program, Phil!" right in his face (with spittle) on the East concourse the next day.

Back