What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

If he joins the college ranks I'd look for USC. His daughter is at school in California and I've heard he'd like to be closer to her. But he did sign an extension earlier this year.

Makes sense. I thought it would have been a great fit this last offseason.

God knows what else becomes available. There's a lot of time left.
Yeah but what job is better than LSU considering Saban is close to retirement? Maybe USC? Texas and A&M look to be staying put. Oregon could open up but I would much rather go to LSU.

If you fire stoops after making the playoff last year you will get a ton of pushback.

I am mostly assuming Stoops would choose to leave.

Honestly, any coach should be wary of the LSU job. Sky high expectations and they just fired a VERY successful coach.

Stoops has stated publicly that his current gig is a "destination" job. So I'm not sure he would jump at the lsu opening.

If he did, you would probably see the land thieves go full bore after Herman. He's a winner with lots of connections on the Texas recruiting circuit.

I don't think Stoops leaves voluntarily. I think he gets fired if he doesn't win the Big 12. He doesn't "jump" anywhere. Too many seasons of close but not good enough. Kinda like Richt at Georgia. Sometimes you just have to change things.
Oklahoma would go all in on Herman as well. If I were Herman I would go for Okie over the Bayou

Everyone is going to go after Herman. Only one can get him. If Oklahoma doesn't get him, where do they go?

I am mostly assuming Stoops would choose to leave.

Honestly, any coach should be wary of the LSU job. Sky high expectations and they just fired a VERY successful coach.
You think stoops would voluntarily leave OU?

Also the expectations for LSU are justified and it was clear miles lost his touch by keeping Cameron. It's obviously okay to lose to Alabama most of the time but he lost to other teams and hasn't been close to bama since that win when they went to the championship.

I'm not laughing.

Me either technically - but it would be interesting if he landed some place like LSU and talked all his ****bailer assistant homies into jumping ship and it left the cupboard bare in Waco.

I'd say at this point LSU, USC, and Oregon are 3 big time programs that will be looking at Herman. ND too? Could be a wild carousel this season.

I'd say at this point LSU, USC, and Oregon are 3 big time programs that will be looking at Herman. ND too? Could be a wild carousel this season.
Auburn too. USC is in real trouble, but do they really fire a guy after only 1 year? I think Kelly is probably safe barring a scandal.

LSU is the only school that makes sense for Herman. He has spent the majority of his career coaching and recruiting in Texas.

Doubt ND is looking this year. Kelly has done so much more than the last N guys they hired I don't see them having that short of a leash.
Helfrich is gone.
USC and Auburn are likely IMO.

Yeah but what job is better than LSU considering Saban is close to retirement? Maybe USC? Texas and A&M look to be staying put. Oregon could open up but I would much rather go to LSU.

I guess my point is that there're a lot of factors involved and things may not be as easy and straightforward as they look to us on the surface.

Could they go after Briles because they could get him at a big discount? Having to pay two big name coaching contracts at the same time could be hard for LSU to swallow.

Who does LSU go after? They will swing for the fences and think everyone wants the job.

1. Herman - he is the big name.
2. NFL Guy?
3. Stoops or another big name to jump
4. A Dykes or Wittingham type - sold coach looking to get out of dodge
5. Retain Orgeron or a top coordinator (least likely to me)

Herman will probably be their top target but they could also make a run at either Jimbo or Petrino

idk about you guys, but I was under the impression Kelly was more successful at ND than he really has been. This is his 7th year there, only 2 of which are really "good" seasons by ND standards. He has definitely been better than what they had before, but I can see them having an itchy trigger finger. Hard to boot a guy that took you to the big game quite recently, but lets take a gander at LSU.. and ND doesn't have their money issues.

I also see the USC only 1 year thing, but that team is a serious disaster. The HC was hired by the outgoing AD and was not a fan favorite hire. And it's USC. If they lose to us in a couple weeks, the wheels might really come off.

If LSU wins out or let's say finishes with one more loss (Bama) we all know the O will recruit just fine so that interim tag may be removed with the lesson that USC already let him walk and they don't want to let him go elsewhere. If not, though, we're shaping up to be looking at a grand number of P5 schools who may be shopping.

LSU
USC
Oklahoma
Oregon
Auburn
Baylor
Edit: On the subject of monsters, how about we throw Penn State in here? They're sure to be getting restless.

Great year to get paid.

Last edited:
This LSU presser is weird. Seems like Orgeron is actually making several organizational / staffing changes as the interim.

Everyone keeps throwing out Herman, but I think with a potential Big12 bid for Houston, it would make sense for him to stay. Guy is obviously a very good recruiter and knows Texas well. He won't have the pressure at Houston that he would have at any of the other Schools. Hell, as you can see, one mediocre season at LSU gets you fired. Houston has shown that they are willing to pay to keep him. If I were him, I would stay with Houston provided they get a Big 12 invite.

Back