What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

Football Scoop updates so far today (at least 7/10 Nub assistants coming from UCF staff & all will be under at least 2-year contracts):

Nebraska: Scott Frost has announced the additions of the following assistant coaches to his staff (each coming from UCF); Greg Austin (OL), Erik Chinander (DC), Mike Dawson (DL), Jovan Dewitt (OLBs / STC), Travis Fisher (DBs), Ryan Held (RBs), and Mario Verduzco (QBs).

Tennessee: With the search now being led by Phil Fulmer, Bruce Feldmantweets that Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and SMU head coach Chad Morris are two names to keep in mind.

Not much else of major note other than the breaking Taggart-FSU story, which I'm sure will be dominating the discussion.

Venables has waited so long that this may be his chance to not only get a big time job, but a big fat paycheck. Venables might actually do good there if he can get the defense tuned up like he has the Clemson DL. Defense will keep him in games while he figures out the offense.

Venables has waited so long that this may be his chance to not only get a big time job, but a big fat paycheck. Venables might actually do good there if he can get the defense tuned up like he has the Clemson DL. Defense will keep him in games while he figures out the offense.

I'd be fine if he waits one more year so we can hire him next year.

Wouldn’t that be a kick in the head? After pissing down their leg for two months, they end up with Brent Venables - a guy who probably should have been in their short list from the very beginning.

On the surface it's bizarre that Venables yet has to be given a shot as a HC somewhere.

On the surface it's bizarre that Venables yet has to be given a shot as a HC somewhere.

Have seen on Oklahoma and Clemson boards that Venables might not be one that wants to be a head coach. He could have easily been a head coach years ago but that hasn't happened despite his qualifications.

Taggart met with Florida State while he was out recruiting in Phoenix and has now rescheduled a meeting with a Houston recruit originally set for tonight.

Herm commands a room and beams charisma. He'll have damn good recruits with that and being situated between Texas and Cali. Whether that translates to the field idk. ASU will either be really good or really bad.

Right now I think Florida and UCLA have made the best hires. Mullen is a great recruiter and a very good coach - plus he knows the SEC. Frost is the hot name but his body of work is small. Jimbo Fisher to A&M will be interesting - a good coach I just wonder how good of a fit he will be.

Edwards at ASU could be a train wreck. If Taggert goes to FSU, I wonder what UO will do to fill the job.

Right now I think Florida and UCLA have made the best hires. Mullen is a great recruiter and a very good coach - plus he knows the SEC. Frost is the hot name but his body of work is small. Jimbo Fisher to A&M will be interesting - a good coach I just wonder how good of a fit he will be.

Edwards at ASU could be a train wreck. If Taggert goes to FSU, I wonder what UO will do to fill the job.
When you pay a coach $75M, you expect a national title...maybe more than one. Anything short of that would be a failure for Jimbo - that's a lot of pressure.

oregon is going to be in an interesting position if taggart bails. with all the coaches who have already moved around, they are going to have dig deep and open up the coffers too. in my perfect (vindictive and petty) world, taggart leaves, leavitt doesn't get the hc, and then leavitt is popped and has to sit out a season or go smaller ball for a job of any sort. that would be karma for making a lateral move in-conference.

Huskers are going to rock our Buffs unfortunately......their recruiting classes last 4 years...23, 26, 30 and 35....far better than the Buffs. With energetic coaching...i think we get rolled.
The koolaid is flowing red, you guys are delusional.

Have seen on Oklahoma and Clemson boards that Venables might not be one that wants to be a head coach. He could have easily been a head coach years ago but that hasn't happened despite his qualifications.
Wonder if he has one of those crazy ideas like, “I’ll only be HC at Oklahoma!” or something similar. Similar to how (allegedly) Chris Spielman was with OSU.

I was under the assumption that they were all ROTC. Is that wrong?

I know it doesn’t make a band an army, just asking.
Not really ROTC. From their website:

The Corps is the largest, oldest and most visible student organization and leadership training program at Texas A&M. It is also one of the largest uniformed bodies of students in the nation.

The Corps of Cadets is Texas A&M’s premiere leadership training program and delivers the ultimate Aggie Experience. It starts with a world-class university with over 140 years of tradition and builds on that foundation, guiding cadets in developing their leadership abilities while enjoying the benefits of being at one of the nation’s premiere universities.

A majority of our leadership training graduates pursue a career in the public or private sector; however, the Corps of Cadets consistently commissions more officers than any institution other than the service academies. An average of 40-45% of our cadets pursue a military commission in the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps.

It's weird to me that the Corps is such a big, visible part of a large public university. I was poking fun at them because, well, because they are so Aggy.

Last edited:
Taggart all but officially gone per reports. Lots of chatter from the Oregon boards about Leavitt taking over...

Back